From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
guigui

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by guigui »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Sekiro is definitely worth playing.
Is Sekiro playable w/o any knowledge of Souls games ? I have yet to play it, but reading a rather large lot about it made me think it is so obtuse that it is mainly made for Souls players who want a radical twist to their favorite series.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

guigui wrote:Is Sekiro playable w/o any knowledge of Souls games?
Absolutely. I would go so far as to say it might even be more playable for those without knowledge of & muscle memory for Souls. Both the control scheme and "proper way to play" is drastically different in Sekiro, and it can take hours of play for a Souls veteran to stop themselves from instinctually reacting with the good habits of the past before they can even begin to learn the good habits of the present.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So's Dark Souls 2 if we have to be completely fair. I'd still give the other three higher priority.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Sumez wrote:
So's Dark Souls 2 if we have to be completely fair. I'd still give the other three higher priority.
True. Have you played the DLCs yet?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

No, I was told that I wasn't allowed to :3
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

guigui wrote:but reading a rather large lot about it made me think it is so obtuse that it is mainly made for Souls players who want a radical twist to their favorite series.
Wrong.

Lol Sumez that wasn't me was it? :lol:

Also I recorded my DS1 Speedrun, 1 hour 20.
https://youtu.be/KeGdzjuLskQ

w/ added sassy comments here and there.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

Gud job on the gargoyles m8.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

urgh that was the worst part :o
Austin

Post by Austin »

I ran through the first Dark Souls once again, this time via the Xbox 360 version. Decided to go with a Pyromancer build, as while I had dabbled with some basic fireballs before, I had never gone for a dedicated build. In the early parts of the playthrough it was pretty standard fare for me--lots of parrying and melee combat since I didn't have many attunement slots (or even much pyro available). By the end though it was pretty much all pyro. I focused a bit on attunement here and there and by the end of the run I had seven slots open (no use of rings to increase them) and was able to bounce between various forms of pyro consistently. Firestorm is pretty cool but takes a while to activate and burns out of ammo pretty much instantly. I have a newfound appreciation for combustion (especially "Great Combustion"). It comes out relatively quickly and is handy when mixing up attacks. Fire Whip is pretty cool, but you do have to lead into it a bit otherwise you can get knocked out of casting it. Shame it doesn't last longer (the ammo runs out fast), but it cuts through just about anything.

I think this was also the first run I have ever done that didn't involve the use of a bow, so I had to tackle certain situations totally different. I normally cheese certain enemies with the bow to make life easier, but not on this run. It was interesting having to mix things up.

Gwyn wrecked me at first as always (every playthrough it seems to take me a while to warm up to the parrying on that fight), but I ended up getting a flawless victory on him, ha. Fun times: https://youtu.be/37o_r3B3oJc
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Aw c'mon you coulda chucked at least one firebawl at gwynney..

I've been doing Pyro myself lately, actually.
But Pyro only.

Centipede demon doesn't take damage from fire, so I had to use Toxic mist, and it actually worked. Took fucking forever but he died from that one cast.

1 firestorm and chaos fire whip melted Seath so fast it was actually funny.
Waiting for my friend to screen-watch before i take on Arty 'n' the boys.

Also Austin my dude leave the bow behind :wink:
Solo / Melee only an area like shrine of amana and you'll feel like a total boss.

Ooh, there's a good point. What do we think is the single hardest area (not boss) in any Soulsborne game? Or maybe Fromsoft in general?
My money's on Shrine of Amana tbh. Though I struggle to remember large parts of ds3.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Ughhhhhhh, Shrine of Amana... When I played DS2 on PS3 earlier in the year, I seriously wanted to throw my console through my window at that part. I raged there so hard, it was embarrassing. It's tough in Scholar as well, but it's complete BS in the original. I would definitely qualify that as one of the hardest parts in a souls game, easy. If I recall correctly, I was basically forced to go run into a group of enemies head first near the end stretch because they were too far away for the bow to reach. We're not talking two or three guys, but something like seven along with projectiles flying at me from every direction.

The rest I can think of give me trouble, but I probably wouldn't call them the hardest:

Tomb of the Giants is a pain in the ass if you don't have the skull lantern. Getting through it on the unpatched PS3 Dark Souls was a bitch because you can't get the lantern until you drop down into the pit Patches can push you into (getting it from the necromancers in the Catacombs was patched in later). That's over halfway through the area. :shock:

Dark Souls III was fairly smooth sailing for me overall, but some of the DLC was rough. The beginning wolf section in the Painted World gave me trouble (I eventually just ran straight through it). There's also the wasteland area of Dreg Heap where you had the angels in the air, you were getting poisoned from the swamp and you had very little room to take cover.

Bloodborne was also pretty smooth for me outside of the bosses. Nothing really sticks out past Yahar'gul (outside Hypogean Gaol, the jail if you get bagged early on). The box skeleton things there are stupid powerful and tend to be grouped together.

Frigid Outskirts is commonly mentioned, but I found it mostly a pain due to its length and lack of bonfires. The reindeer are annoying, but weren't as bad to deal with when I realized I could block them with a shield.

DeS, I'm still struggling with the run up to King Allant. There's the vertical shaft with aggressive knights, then the bridge with the dragon breathing fire, along with enemies to get in your way (and they always do) if you attempt to run straight across. That part actually forced me to take a break from the game for a while. Couldn't bring myself to persevere like I did in the other souls games.
it290

Post by it290 »

My vote definitely goes to Shrine of Amana (tho I haven't finished Sekiro yet). Those Judicators in the Ringed City gave me fits too.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Austin wrote:Bloodborne was also pretty smooth for me outside of the bosses.

Never had trouble with the boxes but i've always absolutely sucked at fighting them blood tick things, especially if you reach the outside of Cainhurst early.
Hell they even give me trouble in the DLC if i bother fighting them.
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote:
Austin wrote:Bloodborne was also pretty smooth for me outside of the bosses.

Never had trouble with the boxes but i've always absolutely sucked at fighting them blood tick things, especially if you reach the outside of Cainhurst early.
Hell they even give me trouble in the DLC if i bother fighting them.
Those mother fuckers can fuck off.
it290

Post by it290 »

Haha yeah, the first time I fought those bastards I quickly adopted the coward's tactic of aggroing one at a time and ruuuuning the fuck back to the stage entrance each time. Their pull range is surprisingly long too. It's kinda weird how easy the rest of the castle is compared to those guys; presumably as a warning that the boss is a bit of a prick?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

So Manus pyro only was a total slog.
In the end I had to opt for Dusk Crown ring
-half hp
-more spell casts

Just to get enough ammo to beat him.
I still had to punch him with the pyro flame 3 times at the end for a whopping 7 damage each.

Kalameet's gonna be frickin' impossible. I still don't fuck with Red Tearstone much because i'm so put off by the idea of setting up the low health and dying in one hit..
Steamflogger Boss

it290 wrote:Haha yeah, the first time I fought those bastards I quickly adopted the coward's tactic of aggroing one at a time and ruuuuning the fuck back to the stage entrance each time. Their pull range is surprisingly long too. It's kinda weird how easy the rest of the castle is compared to those guys; presumably as a warning that the boss is a bit of a prick?
I don't think I even came close to dying on any other regular enemies there whereas they were kicking my ass. After killing some to satisfy my bloodlust I just avoided them.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I can't imagine doing those DLC bosses pyro-only. They can be so damn fast.
it290

Post by it290 »

I'm curious if anyone here has done a bloodtinge build for Bloodborne. It's so contrary to what the core gameplay is about that I'm fascinated with the idea of giving it a try. Also curious about arcane builds as I haven't done one of those either. Are they legit fun or do they get old quickly in comparison to BB's usual fast and meaty combat?
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Blood tinge builds come down to the following question:

Can you get through Martyr Logarius and claim the Chikage at a low enough level that you have lots of skill points left to put into it, or do you have to level too much to be strong enough to get there.

If you can beat Cainhurst Castle at a very low level then the chikage build can be a lot of fun.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
it290

Post by it290 »

Is the Chikage the only viable weapon or are there other options? I think my chances of defeating Logarius at low level are probably slim at best, but maybe I just haven't applied myself enough...
Steamflogger Boss

You really don't have a choice. The Chikage and the Bloodletter are the only options you have that don't consume bullets unless I'm forgetting something.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

The problem with the Chikage build is that it just wastes your time because it has low durability and you have to keep going back to the Hunter’s Dream to repair it which means two loading screens. It absolutely killed my interest into what could have otherwise been a very enjoyable playthrough.

I recommend Shadow Tower if you want to see how stupid equipment durability is in the Souls series, and it is at its absolute worst in Bloodborne.
Steamflogger Boss

I really just couldn't get in to Shadow Tower. I tried a couple times.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I never finished my Bloodtinge build. probably because i was co opping most of it with a friend. And we actually got our asses handed to us. For the first time i've found large parts of it more difficult than solo-ing the game.

Then again I did insist we beat Rom in the chalices before ever seeing Rom in the main game, which is possible.

Anyhow - I dislike the Chikage because I have to lose health for it to be effective!
Any other build will give me better damage output without such a finnicky weapon and losing health.
it290

Post by it290 »

Blinge wrote:Then again I did insist we beat Rom in the chalices before ever seeing Rom in the main game, which is possible.
Ouch dude.

Speaking of chalices, that was actually a feature I loved in BB. It's interesting how much some of the souls community (cough cough Bonfiresidechat cough) hated on those, because I thought they added superb replayability to the game. Sure, they're repetitive, but the idea of being able to do a quick bit of Souls as if it were a game of Gauntlet is awesome and a great diversion when you don't feel like playing the main game.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Necronopticous wrote:The problem with the Chikage build is that it just wastes your time because it has low durability and you have to keep going back to the Hunter’s Dream to repair it which means two loading screens. It absolutely killed my interest into what could have otherwise been a very enjoyable playthrough.

I recommend Shadow Tower if you want to see how stupid equipment durability is in the Souls series, and it is at its absolute worst in Bloodborne.
Very true, i wish there were other options for this as i think the idea of the weapon having a buff that requires you to regenerate health is quite interesting. And I'm a total weeb so i would have liked more katana options really.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Steamflogger Boss

Illyrian wrote:And I'm a total weeb so i would have liked more katana options really.
I've been thinking about a Katana run through of DS3.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Austin wrote:I can't imagine doing those DLC bosses pyro-only. They can be so damn fast.
Arty wasn't a problem.

Dodging Manus' attacks is hard coded into my brain but ammo was a problem.

Kalameet, oh kalameet.
I had tried many many times to defeat him with my meagre spells, but would run out. and have to give up.
Until someone told me that Bellowing Dragoncrest ring increases Pyro damage, not just sorcery. OOPS.
(I also wasn't using the crown of dusk because I'm and idiot and forgot about it.)

So I had Dusk Ring for more ammo, half HP.
Power Within, more damage but decreasing HP.

Spunked my supply of Great Chaos fireballs, probably missed one.
Hit him with all the Great Combustions I could while power within was still active.
The plan was to hit him with Fire Tempest while buffed but it was too hit and miss.
So after my epic struggle lel.. I ended up killing him with just 3 Fire Orbs left.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:I've been thinking about a Katana run through of DS3.
Powerstancing dual katanas in Dark Souls 2 is the shit and one of the best reasons to even play that game.