Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:57 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Radirgy S
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:10 am 

M.Knight wrote:
Excellent news for the physical version but why a vinyl OST I wonder. Can't they just put it on a CD like normal, sane releases do?

There are VGM vinyl collectors who'll buy any old crap, as well as collectors of limited-print packages in general, who'll be all over this. If one wanted to ensure sales of their niche game at a certain price point, throwing in a vinyl is still a foolproof move. (If the collectors actually listened to some of the awful VGM vinyl out there it would have stopped working a long time ago, but here we are.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:07 am 

What a shame, though I can't say this surprises me that much. :lol:
Hopefully the soundtrack will also be available on its own later, as does every Milestone OST. Even the 3DS games have received soundtrack releases actually, so this one should be a no-brainer I think.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm 

So I ran a little experiment this weekend, with some surprising (at least to me) results.

I had two different casual gamers in my apartment this weekend ('casual' meaning they play Skyrim, Fallout, Fortnite, etc. No shooters at all) and I had them both check out Radirgy S, which they both really enjoyed.

The surprise came from me having them both play a little of the original Radirgy afterwards (which neither had played before) giving them some context and satisfying my curiosity. Both said they preferred S, which sort of shocked me. One described S as "a really enjoyable arcade game" while the original "was one of those grueling, punishing games." The other said that S "flowed better" and "eased you into the difficultly rather than trying to bury you right from the start" That person also like Space Invader mode better than the regular mode.

So, while this is a sample size of exactly two people, it does seem like there's some casual crossover potential, if Dispatch plays their hand correctly. They don't even need to worry about the casual set being unaware of the property because it doesn't seem like they'd be very interested in the proceeding titles anyway. If they give the digital version a reasonable price tag (ie don't try to gouge the hardcore) and do a little smart marketing, they may even have themselves a modest hit. At least from my perspective it seemed that both people I showed it to REALLY enjoyed it, they both played six or seven times, and I think both would probably buy it if the price was right and they were aware it even was released.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:19 pm 

GSK wrote:
M.Knight wrote:
Excellent news for the physical version but why a vinyl OST I wonder. Can't they just put it on a CD like normal, sane releases do?

There are VGM vinyl collectors who'll buy any old crap, as well as collectors of limited-print packages in general, who'll be all over this. If one wanted to ensure sales of their niche game at a certain price point, throwing in a vinyl is still a foolproof move. (If the collectors actually listened to some of the awful VGM vinyl out there it would have stopped working a long time ago, but here we are.)

I'm in that camp, where I like buying VGM OSTs on vinyl. Some of it is a love of the format, and some of it is the large format artwork, etc. I haven't been disappointed with the Gradius 1-3, Thunder Force IV, or Darius releases, so I'm hoping this is similar in quality. However, I'm not entirely confident in Dispatch, given how they've completely crapped the bed with Psyvariar Delta. I'm cautiously optimistic about this release, now that they've got that partnership with City Connection, but I'm still not giving them any more money until they deliver on what I've already paid for.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:55 am 

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
So, while this is a sample size of exactly two people, it does seem like there's some casual crossover potential, if Dispatch plays their hand correctly. They don't even need to worry about the casual set being unaware of the property because it doesn't seem like they'd be very interested in the proceeding titles anyway. If they give the digital version a reasonable price tag (ie don't try to gouge the hardcore) and do a little smart marketing, they may even have themselves a modest hit. At least from my perspective it seemed that both people I showed it to REALLY enjoyed it, they both played six or seven times, and I think both would probably buy it if the price was right and they were aware it even was released.

They'll assuredly drop the price at some point (or it'll immediately drop due to low interest like every other Dispatch game) but the standard price is $30 and the collectors package is $50.

FRO wrote:
I'm in that camp, where I like buying VGM OSTs on vinyl. Some of it is a love of the format, and some of it is the large format artwork, etc. I haven't been disappointed with the Gradius 1-3, Thunder Force IV, or Darius releases, so I'm hoping this is similar in quality. However, I'm not entirely confident in Dispatch, given how they've completely crapped the bed with Psyvariar Delta. I'm cautiously optimistic about this release, now that they've got that partnership with City Connection, but I'm still not giving them any more money until they deliver on what I've already paid for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against VGM vinyl in general, there's just a lot of crap out there and some of the bigger VGM labels are the worst offenders. The ones you mentioned were done by reputable companies (STS, Data Discs), many aren't, and that's especially true of the vinyl that's produced exclusively as a promotional item.

I'm more against the trend of physical packages like these being aimed squarely at collectors and resellers--a lot of the new limited-print publishers brazenly pander to people who treat these things like trading cards and don't give the slightest shit about the actual product.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:26 pm 

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
So I ran a little experiment this weekend, with some surprising (at least to me) results.

I had two different casual gamers in my apartment this weekend ('casual' meaning they play Skyrim, Fallout, Fortnite, etc. No shooters at all) and I had them both check out Radirgy S, which they both really enjoyed.

Non-shmuppers are frequently surprising. When I was in college my roommates thought Eschatos had the best graphics of any of my shooting games, because it was in 3D and had perspective shifts. Not to slag on it--I think parts are actually really nice looking and the choreography is excellent. But it was a game I almost didn't buy because I thought it looked really low-rent.

Meanwhile Deathsmiles "looks like a sega saturn game." :roll: :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:36 pm 

Quote:
Meanwhile Deathsmiles "looks like a sega saturn game."

That made me spit coffee this morning...

Not for nothing, Deathsmiles was another game I was convinced would do big crossover business as every 'casual' I showed it to seemed completely charmed by it.

That... didn't exactly work out.

ALSO

While I understand that music licensing is big $$$$$, BUT, I wouldn't call getting this for the trailer "costly" but rather "a really sound investment"

PPS I've been hesitant to comment for various reasons, but I will throw a couple cents in by saying that the majority of these collector's edition VGM LPs aren't even remastered for analog media, meaning they sound like shit. But, the people who buy them couldn't care less because they're not concerned about how it sounds, only about what they can get for it.

But whatever, in my 30+ years of writing things on the internet, I've found that me and the collector set don't exactly see eye to eye on pretty much anything, and neither is going to change the other's mind any time soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:15 pm 

m.sniffles.esq wrote:

The surprise came from me having them both play a little of the original Radirgy afterwards (which neither had played before) giving them some context and satisfying my curiosity. Both said they preferred S, which sort of shocked me. One described S as "a really enjoyable arcade game" while the original "was one of those grueling, punishing games." The other said that S "flowed better" and "eased you into the difficultly rather than trying to bury you right from the start" That person also like Space Invader mode better than the regular mode.

Intriguing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:26 am 

The LE Edition:
Spoiler: show

Personally, I thought the swag included (sorry) with the just announced Space Invaders Invincible LE is much cooler
Spoiler: show

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:13 pm 

Preordered the LE (according to the website it'll be limited to 500 pieces).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:56 pm 

Earlier in the thread, there's was some question as to who exactly RS34 were (whether or not they were associated to Milestone at all, or a separate entity that bought the Radirgy license).

I found this article on 4gamer, and thanks to my superior google translate skills I was able to glom that it's basically two guys who were with Milestone from back in the Compile days. There was also the rumor that they were just Klon under a different name, and it seems that's untrue although they were both employees of Klon, I think (all of that seems a bit vague, but it could just be the translation).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:49 am 

I'm really liking that Radirgy Swag LE. I really need that in my life.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:49 am 

Something that's been bugging me is this

Quote:
機体輸送券1/2/3/4: Mech transport ticket 1/2/3/4 - lets you start at progressively later parts of the game (rather than a continue, per se as mentioned by m.sniffles.esq above). 4 starts you in space.

If I select 4, and die pretty much instantly, I'll still post 222,000km on the leaderboard for doing nothing but pressing 'start' (I mean, I guess I had to do things to unlock that ability, but traveling that far was not one of them)

I'm guessing this is just an oversight that will hopefully get rectified in future releases, because as it stands, the distance leaderboard is pretty meaningless.

PS This game is really fucking addicting

Offline Profile