shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:30 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: R-Type Final2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:46 pm 

I hate to be a negative nelly, but the second trailer doesn't bode well IMO. Shitty Euroshmup techno, some lame and rushed looking intro (the way the ship moves is ridiculous), and the fact that there seems to be some inertia present (WTF) quickly made me lose interest in the game. I also agree they should focus on making 8 or so really good levels instead of bloating the game with what are bound to be mediocre filler levels.

Also, I never finished the first game since it was boring as shit, so I hope 2 will be different in that respect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:22 pm 

It's not techno, it's trance... like in some of NG:DEV TEAM games :D

...though doesn't matter, this forum proved many times that what "average shmupper tastes in music" are, so nothing to be surprised at...

for me, R-Type Delta isn't in top-50 of shmup osts, or even not in top-100... don't worry, r-type final's ost ain't there either, of course, but i like more it's sound design approach

Quote:
inertia present (WTF)

Some people say it's "target render", so it's not gameplay footage yet, just prerender of how it might be

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 pm 

I think it's pretty clear that there is absolutely 0 seconds of gameplay footage in those trailers. It's basically a cartoon - they even cut away at one point before the camera swerves around like in the first trailer. I am likewise certain that there has been no work done on the game outside of these early art renders + trailers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:11 pm 

Deadliar wrote:
Honestly Delta's pacing is what makes it better than Final. Final intended to be a far more strategic game but was ultimately just more boring and slow.

The rest is up to ship and stage design, and there's not really something you can "Do the Delta way" or "Do the Final way" , rather you can do it poorly or well (and the respective games just match up to that).

I sincerely hope that Granzella makes the stages and ships well. That said, I'd much prefer Delta's pace to Final's and the trailer seems disappointing in this regard.

I still think it'll be a fun experience, but I doubt it'll be the best shmup ever, etc. Not with Final pacing.

Fine. When Final 2 gets funded, and it will, I'm sure of it, I hope it blows both Delta and Final out of the water, and prove to all of you how inferior Delta really is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:16 pm 

I know this Kickstarter won't be every one's cup of tea. It does appear to basically be a widescreen remastering of parts of R-Type Final with some new stages and enemies added. I'm okay with that but I would prefer a whole new game.

I'm hoping this is just Granzella getting their feet wet to develop better and new R-Type games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:29 pm 

This is going to be a hard decision, but I can't back this. I was so burnt out of R-Type Final (being a proto Darius Burst console mode). Unlocking all those ships got old fast.

Series should had ended at Delta.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:57 pm 

I've been asking them a few questions.

1) they won't be adding multi-physical tiers, for those of us who were hoping to split shipping with a buddy

2) they seem to imply that a physical release will be available outside of the kickstarter. Or rather they aren't denying that a physical release won't be released later.

3) in fact they insisted heavily that the kickstarter backers will be the only ones to get the slip cover.

4) the slip cover / spine / cover / back will be Japanese or English depending if you ship to Japan or not.

5) R-Type 2 will offer language selection in-game (presumably defaulting to your system)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 am 

Just saw this from Chris Huelsbeck on FB — gotta say I share his hopes here :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:54 am 

^We have to get this to Granzella somehow!

1CCS

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:20 am 

Now funded.

Congratulations to Granzella.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 am 

Okay, this name-changing of Granzella clouded my judgement, but then I watched the trailer, and this is basically Kazuma Kujo's new team.

http://shmuplations.com/rtypefinal/

The guy has been around since Metal Slug and Air Diver and helmed Final, so I take it back and damn sure expect him to at least equal his previous efforts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 am 

Just hope it will get a physical release, otherwise it's a waste

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:31 am 

Euroshmup techno is the only good thing about euroshmups :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:11 am 

Glad it got funded. The stretch goals are far too ambitious for a one-week campaign however. Fine by me if we just get their base project idea next year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:06 am 

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
^We have to get this to Granzella somehow!

In kickstarter comments they say:

Thank you for your feedback.

We are currently trying to solicit cooperation from the sound creators of the first R-Type, asking for them to participate in this project.

We cannot promise you that we will contact "Chris Huelsbeck" to ask for working with us, but we will talk to many other creators who have involved in the development of the past R-Type series.

Thank you for your continued support and cooperation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:53 pm 

^Shit. It sounds like they don't know who he is, his links to the series and the genre in general...

1CCS

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:36 pm 

That's hilarious tbh, and drives home the degree to which old heads have stepped up to support this (especially Euro Amiga-botherers). :P

"Who the fuck is Chris Huelsbeck?" - Kazuma Kujo

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:04 pm 

Granzella should have just played Turrican to know who he is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:57 pm 

How do you even muster the titanium balls to deny Chris?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:18 pm 

Anyone else think the R-9K "Sunday Strike" was a dig at euros? The 'cheap reproduction' model with the green canopy of the Katakis ship and the flat bottom of the Z-Out ship? And they named it /r9k/.

1CCS

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:30 pm 

The R-9K has the weapons from Super R-Type. I think the detail of it being a modified mass-produced version of R-Type II's R-9C is referencing how Super R-Type is a modified retail version of the arcade game. Since Kujo's team doesn't seem to know who Chris Huelsbeck is, they're probably unfamiliar with the eurogaming home computer scene.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:40 pm 

qmish wrote:
We cannot promise you that we will contact "Chris Huelsbeck" to ask for working with us, but we will talk to many other creators who have involved in the development of the past R-Type series.

you guys are probably reading too much along the lines in what appears simply to be a bad use of quotation marks, ie simply engrish. Certainly not the only case on the project's comments and campaign pages.

Read it like this:

"We cannot promise you that we will contact Chris Huelsbeck to ask for working with us, but we will talk to many other creators who have involved in the development of the past R-Type series."

And leave the innuendo aside.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 pm 

I was thinking the other day that, even after Kickstarter takes their cut, and production costs are covered, it's likely that R-Type Final 2 will be the highest-budgeted shootemup ever. Has any other shmup spent half a million on itself? Maybe R-Type Final or Gradius V? Darius Burst in all its revisions?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:27 am 

I just hope they remember level design.
I donated despite really disliking Final. But I do love R-Type, and I'm really hoping we can get somewhere closer to Delta quality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:18 am 

You'd be surprised how quickly half a million disappear in game development.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:13 am 

EmperorIng wrote:
I was thinking the other day that, even after Kickstarter takes their cut, and production costs are covered, it's likely that R-Type Final 2 will be the highest-budgeted shootemup ever. Has any other shmup spent half a million on itself? Maybe R-Type Final or Gradius V? Darius Burst in all its revisions?

I dunno about budget, but this new r-type will be

1) first new shmup from major series since dariusburst and raiden v
2) first new shmup with decent or better production values since astebreed/resogun/sine mora
3) first new shmup which is both from major series and with good production values since... gradius v?!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:50 am 

It's not coming out until December 2020? This is what I was afraid what was going to happen! I wanted it to be released sometime this year and not have to wait for a long time!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:14 am 

xxx1993 wrote:
It's not coming out until December 2020? This is what I was afraid what was going to happen! I wanted it to be released sometime this year and not have to wait for a long time!

General rule of thumb when backing a game on KS - You're waiting two years minimum regardless of what the campaign says.

I backed Xydonia (Est. completion 11/17) two years ago. The devs have been really good about updates (and communication). It will be finished when it's finished and from the looks of things it is going to be pretty awesome.

It takes far longer than six months to make a good game, let alone a fantastic one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:58 pm 

And I feel like R-Type has become rather egotistical lately with its “best shmup ever” slogan for its Kickstarter campaign... Especially since I know there are other shmups out there that hold that title. And besides, what if we have Mighty No. 9 all over again with this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:04 pm 

Just backed this for a digital copy + soundtrack. Awesome initiative, I know it's controversial here but R-Type Final is one of my GOAT shmups. Had so much fun unlocking all the ships and discovering the secret levels, plus the atmosphere and visual style were just awesome. That said I hope this one will go the extra mile and please all the Delta diehards as well.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next