shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:46 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9033 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302  Next
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:44 pm 

allergies

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:45 am 

People (particularly my in-laws) buying alkalines and heavy duty batteries when rechargeables are cheaper in the long run and can be recycled with greater ease, which means less pollution.

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Last edited by Specineff on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:50 am 

Sumez wrote:
I randomly played some video with Ryan Reynolds that popped up on my Facebook feed, out of boredom.

And apparently Facebook now thinks I'm absolutely crazy about Ryan Reynolds and won't stop giving me videos about him.

yeah, algorithms have exactly 0 chill when they aren't just throwing the most absolute random nonsense at you
its to the point that whenever I go to watch a video outside my usual, or clicking a YT link without really knowing what it is, I feel tempted to do it in a private tab or a different browser altogether just to avoid this nonsense

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:23 pm 

Holy crap. ebay's listing interface is utterly terrible these days. I want to sell something. I get dumped on some page with a search box. WTF is this? No explanation whatsoever. Try an alternate route, get dumped on that same page again. Fine, I'll enter some shit. Now I've made it to the real listing page, except it's full of random selections and wrong info. I have to go through and correct it, but at the same time I'm doing that the settings are changing on their own! I even have to enter the same info multiple times because it reverted. How do I change the category? Oh, I can't. W. T. F.

I listed four items. They were all the same thing, but the listing page came up with different options barfed all over it each time. Different shipping method. Some box under the "details" heading is marked "required" one time, and the next time is missing entirely.

At least now I'll know not to rely too much on the categories when searching for something, if the category is ultimately determined by ebay's random number generator.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:36 pm 

Wild guess, this complicated setup is introduced to help categorize their products, making it easier for buyers to search for them?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:37 pm 

ED-057 wrote:
Holy crap. ebay's listing interface is utterly terrible these days. I want to sell something. I get dumped on some page with a search box. WTF is this? No explanation whatsoever. Try an alternate route, get dumped on that same page again. Fine, I'll enter some shit. Now I've made it to the real listing page, except it's full of random selections and wrong info. I have to go through and correct it, but at the same time I'm doing that the settings are changing on their own! I even have to enter the same info multiple times because it reverted. How do I change the category? Oh, I can't. W. T. F.

I listed four items. They were all the same thing, but the listing page came up with different options barfed all over it each time. Different shipping method. Some box under the "details" heading is marked "required" one time, and the next time is missing entirely.

At least now I'll know not to rely too much on the categories when searching for something, if the category is ultimately determined by ebay's random number generator.

Yepppppp. It used to be they had a pretty good catalog and you could enter the item UPC and it would come right up. Nowadays who really knows what will happen.

Sumez wrote:
Wild guess, this complicated setup is introduced to help categorize their products, making it easier for buyers to search for them?

Eh, people still fudge listings all the time. For example you can't do "New (Other)" condition for video games so people list video games in other categories to get around this. I think collectibles is the main one. These listings also pop right up when you search typically. When I am looking to buy something unless it's a really common search term I never select a category to search in, because I know I'll miss some listings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:45 am 

Disk failure.
I've probably posted complaining about it in this very thread, but it still just fucking sucks. The main SSD just started locking up outta nowhere and not showing up to boot.

I had backed up most of the important stuff, so now I've just gotta wait for the new disk to arrive.
The more annoying thing is that I'm on a MacBook Air, and all the recent, aftermarket disks available for the thing want you to be on a recent macOS [because it adds support for the disk protocol being used] -- wouldn't be an issue, except I'm on a machine without any disk in it. Internet Recovery supposedly won't work [won't actually know until I can install the disk], since it's going to pull in a fairly old release of macOS [it pulls 10.10 on my machine, IIRC the disk said it would need 10.13 or higher to work].

In the mean time, I'm running Linux off a USB drive.
Yaaaaaaay.
It's not actually that bad, except I can't get LiveUSB persistence to work for the life of me, so I'm just copying packages and files to another USB stick [because apparently no one actually bothered looking into it for GPT+UEFI machines instead of ones that use MBR and BIOS].
Again, it works, but I only have 2 USB ports, and if I have to turn the machine off, I'll have to reinstall whatever utilities and reconfigure all sorts of settings and the lot when it comes back up. For example, I've reinstalled Chromium like 4 times today. Takes like ten seconds each time, at least.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:14 am 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
When I am looking to buy something unless it's a really common search term I never select a category to search in, because I know I'll miss some listings.

Man that really sucks when you are searching for something with a name that could be a lot of non-video game things. I always select the Video Game category in this situation.
I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't pick that category when selling a video game?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:38 pm 

Buying an expensive game for full price.

The very next day it goes on sale for 60% off.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:07 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:
When I am looking to buy something unless it's a really common search term I never select a category to search in, because I know I'll miss some listings.

Man that really sucks when you are searching for something with a name that could be a lot of non-video game things. I always select the Video Game category in this situation.
I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't pick that category when selling a video game?

I think the main reason is what I brought up, getting around category restrictions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:13 am 

That's really vague though :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:58 pm 

People that want gifted paypal only for a multi hundred dollar forum transaction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:17 am 

Sumez wrote:
That's really vague though :P

People will do w/e they think will help an item sell.

SPEAKING OF WHICH: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shadow-of-Dest ... SwuIVculwA

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 pm 

Putting up stuff for sale on ebay and receiving a deluge of questions from some clueless newcomer to the RGB gaming hobby and having to explain him the basics twice and still suspecting he didn't undestand shit. Worse, having to actually conclude the sale with him, who now also appears to not know how to use paypal and - let's be honest - doesn't actually need your item at all because he's clearly a 14yo kid who's trying to look cool and alternative and is now also asking for your phone number to send even more stupid messages at a faster pace. :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:12 am 

The delay on the Switch Ages games coming out over here. Seriously, where's my Virtua Racing? I'd but the JPN version, but after conversion and sites adding on their bit it works out at nearly double price. Still reasonable for a port of this quality, but recent events have left me watching the pennies unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:23 am 

Marc wrote:
The delay on the Switch Ages games coming out over here. Seriously, where's my Virtua Racing? I'd but the JPN version, but after conversion and sites adding on their bit it works out at nearly double price. Still reasonable for a port of this quality, but recent events have left me watching the pennies unfortunately.

You can access the japanese store any time by changing the region setting of your Nintendo account.

What's worse is that they haven't announced any physical collection release for these yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:15 pm 

Xer Xian wrote:
Putting up stuff for sale on ebay and receiving a deluge of questions from some clueless newcomer to the RGB gaming hobby and having to explain him the basics twice and still suspecting he didn't undestand shit. Worse, having to actually conclude the sale with him, who now also appears to not know how to use paypal and - let's be honest - doesn't actually need your item at all because he's clearly a 14yo kid who's trying to look cool and alternative and is now also asking for your phone number to send even more stupid messages at a faster pace. :roll:

i think you can just ban someone from buying stuff from you. that's generally what i do immediately if i get shitty questions because it's more than likely going to be even worse after a sale

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:28 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
Xer Xian wrote:

i think you can just ban someone from buying stuff from you. that's generally what i do immediately if i get shitty questions because it's more than likely going to be even worse after a sale

You can, but eBay makes it kinda hard to navigate to. I have the page bookmarked for that reason. Just google block ebay bidder to get right to the page if you can't find it.

eBay is a huge site with so many users I do it at just about the drop of a hat. Too many people to deal with problematic and/or crazy buyers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 pm 

People asking for additional pictures of an item for sale on Facebook, when the most important angles have been shown (Front, back of a PS4 system), or when there's not much else to see (a iron skillet).

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:52 pm 

Touch controls on appliances. Samsung is really, really fucking bad about this. They've got some of the worst UI design I've seen for a physical object.
These aren't touch screens either, they're just touch-sensitive labels instead of nice, tactile buttons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:44 am 

Agree with the above.

Got one I just remembered about recently... People who blast music in their vehicle on their shitty speakers they think are good. Have fun going deaf. I even once had someone flip me off for doing nothing but roll up my window as they drove by blasting rap. :roll:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:48 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
I even once had someone flip me off for doing nothing but roll up my window as they drove by blasting rap. :roll:

How dare you roll up your window as someone blares the musical equivalent of nails on a blackboard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:31 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:
I even once had someone flip me off for doing nothing but roll up my window as they drove by blasting rap. :roll:

How dare you roll up your window as someone blares the musical equivalent of nails on a blackboard.

Honestly any music as loud as it was and I would have done it. The crazy part is I didn't say anything, I didn't shoot them a nasty look, I literally just rolled up the windows to hear less of it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:08 pm 

eBay trying suggest prices to me. I don't need help figuring out what my gear is worth.

If they want to save some bandwidth, maybe eBay should pull down the hundreds of worthless old (480i out) scan converters listed on the site for hundreds and thousands of euros/dollars.

Nobody is ever going to buy any of that useless shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:24 am 

Walking through a crosswalk with the traffic, but some jerk decides to drive around me. Yeah, can't wait that couple of seconds to get that red light? Been happening more and more to me this year. Though the worst was going through a crosswalk years ago. Two cars turning to go down the same street, while I had the light in my favor. Didn't stop them from nearly running me over though. One step in either direction and I'd have had a hospital visit for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:35 am 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Agree with the above.

Got one I just remembered about recently... People who blast music in their vehicle on their shitty speakers they think are good. Have fun going deaf. I even once had someone flip me off for doing nothing but roll up my window as they drove by blasting rap. :roll:

I still dunno how they can even sit in the car with how loud their shit gets. I've stepped out of the car with music playing to see how loud mine is, you usually can't really hear it once you step out.
and then you hear somebody absolutely BLASTING bass that you can feel and you're nearly three cars away from the guy and you're not even sure if that guy has ears anymore :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:52 am 

All the pcbs listed on ebay for 2 to 5 times their going rate from hoarder/resellers in Japan. Search "Cave pcb" or "Raizing pcb" for maximum annoyance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:18 am 

Extended deadlines after a week of crunch and sleep deprivation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:24 am 

RARE! Unemulated! Not In MAME! So I want 900 euros for this cartridge actually worth 50!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:36 pm 

I forgot region locking was a thing.

Ordered Strange Journey Redux from US as it was a lot cheaper.
No work.

:(

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9033 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302  Next