What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Steamflogger Boss

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

null1024

Post by null1024 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzY_FNEIZU
I can't get over how much I like this.
The Chipmunks version of Refugee, slowed down so the vocals play at something approaching normal speed.
Satisfyingly heavy.

the vocalist doesn't sound terribly great here since being pitched up would mask a lot of issues, but alas :lol:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Glassjaw - Material Control. I'd be a total Glassjaw fanboy if every album didn't tail off into tedium or self-indulgent navel-gazing after a half dozen tracks.

The Judas Factor - Ballads in Blue China. I'd forgotten about this one, cracking Revelation Records release that starts pissed-off hardcore, goes all jangly early 90's emo, and finishes a mix of both. Good stuff.

Prick - s/t. Didn't like this back in the day, but to these older ears it sounds like NIN as sexed up by T-Rex. Fun record. The follow-up 'The Wreckard' is literally all over the place and is very hard to pin down, though it sounds industrial many of the tracks on there are far, far from it. I've got a Lucky Pierre EP on vinyl, with some earlier versions of the tracks that made it onto the self-titled album, while Reznor was still playing with them. I really like those versions as they have a very new-wave 80's sound to them, it's fascinating to hear how they morphed into the industrial=lite of the Prick LP.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Steamflogger Boss

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3pPS-FZNgU

Scandroid - Red Planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y988VBv_Uwk

Scandroid - The End of Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz1iNl7Bng4

Perturbator - Terror 404
I see you are a person of culture! :wink:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Steamflogger Boss

Damn right haha. ;)

I went ahead and bought every Perturbator album on bandcamp.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Damn right haha. ;)

I went ahead and bought every Perturbator album on bandcamp.
Enjoy them!
Time for a repost: https://carpenterbrut.bandcamp.com/track/maniac
Fucking energy pumping arrangement/remix/whatever you wish to call it.
Steamflogger Boss

Enjoyed The Pogues, checking out some of the others now.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZzlL3lAnLU

New Imprecation single, fuck yeah!
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://meganmcduffee.bandcamp.com/albu ... e-takeover
Superb synthwave/cyberpunk ambient, reminiscent of Deus Ex, and maybe Blade Runner too.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Obscura wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZzlL3lAnLU

New Imprecation single, fuck yeah!
That is ace stuff
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://nighttempo.bandcamp.com/album/s ... ols-groove
Album title says it all, a future funk/80's Jpop delicious blend. 8)
Steamflogger Boss

Listened to Shizuka Kudo Rise Me 93 concert on LD. I tried to find a youtube link of this to post here and couldn't.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Please imagine that I am suffering from Detroit Techno amnesia. I quite literally forgot everything I knew about the genre, to the point that my father even retorted "but you have vinyls of that techno stuff!" in one conversation.

Could you suggest favourite works and and essential listening? Reading through encyclopaedias and sites feels too drab. Personal, subjective opinionated opinions are better, for an failing forgetful fool.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com ... ZcRJLc-EOU

NEW IMPRECATION ALBUM OUT NOW BITCHES, GET ON IT!
Steamflogger Boss

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/the-jenkins-house
Synthwave goodness by Morgan Willis.

https://mypetflamingo.bandcamp.com/albu ... -anthology
More enjoyable Future Funk with those 80's JPop vocals.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Randorama wrote: Could you suggest favourite works and and essential listening? Reading through encyclopaedias and sites feels too drab. Personal, subjective opinionated opinions are better, for an failing forgetful fool.
You really cant go wrong with Carl Craig's albums 'The Album Formerly Known as' (2005) and 'More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art' (1997). The former is a remake of 'Landcruising' (1995). Some like the original better.

This veers more into electro but a lot of material in the Dreciya cannon is being repressed thanks to Clone records in Rotterdam.
Elecktroids 'Electroworld' (1995) is a personal fav. Also, all of the Drexciya 'Journey of the Deep Sea Dweller' collections are worth it.

This one's a little more recent but I highly recommend Convextion '2845' (2016). It's has a bit of dub in there but everything is still firmly rooted in the Detroit sound. Just check the album cover.

Ajora

Post by Ajora »

There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Scrilla4rella: thank you, I am going through Carl Craig's opus and I definitely re-discovered an artist I lost almost all memories of (I should have the Landcruising vynil somewhere, back at home).
I have scribbled down some notes on the other albums you cite, so I will chime in as soon as I have time to listen to them (!). The Convextion album's cover is just...brilliant, for a lack of a better term :wink:

Brief tangent: They were and a few other songs from the aforementioned albums have clearly been an inspiration for Battle Garegga. I had the chance and time to listen to Garegga's OST and then Craig
's works in a row, and the connections are amazing.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Always a pleasure Rando :wink:
wish I had a copy of Landcruising on vinyl, it probably goes for bank on discogs and the like.
You also might want to check out Craig's Paperclip People compilation, which is more dance-floor oriented
https://planetecommunications.bandcamp. ... remastered
Randorama wrote:Brief tangent: They were and a few other songs from the aforementioned albums have clearly been an inspiration for Battle Garegga. I had the chance and time to listen to Garegga's OST and then Craig
's works in a row, and the connections are amazing.
I need to listen to these two tacks side by side again. with the Garegga OST Namiki really wears his influences on the sleeve. Lifting melodies and elements from hard techno seems so passé in 2019 but this was definitely not the case in 1996.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Scrilla, Drexciya and Convextion are new favourites, too, so thanks a lot!

I couldn't help to think: "Hey, Convextion is a white guy!". I know, it's 2019, but I really strongly identify Detroit Techno with Afro-futurism, -punk genres in SF and graveyard shift listening radios. Game-wise, I believe that Street Fighter III also had DT contaminations (I am thinking of Necro's theme in the second chapter, and listening to Drexciya's Harnessed the Storm, specifically).

On a fairly different tangent: Benny Sings and Mocky, two artists I discovered via Carol & Tuesday, are fairly interesting (Soprano, you've been alerted :wink: ). Benny Sings, in particular, is a Dutch "pop author" that actually spans over decades and styles with nonchalance bordering on the shameless, and has a Moroder-like voice. His work is quintessentially retro (picture a blend of blue-eyed soul, smooth Jazz a la Donald Fagen/Steely Dan, the aforementioned Moroder, etc.), but then again any non-mainstream artist in Europe must be retro, I guess.

EDIT: If I become an old professor with tenure and nothing to do all day, I would like to write a book reconstructing the influences of Detroit Techno, Afro-Futurism and -punk genres in Japanese arcade games (and a genealogy of artists who own some intellectual debt to Michael Moorcock, which could be a multi-volume work, eh!).

If I don't jump out of the window any given day before that or enlist in the foreign legion, of course.
Steamflogger Boss

New Allegaeon dropped. I'm still digesting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plvsV_J4WHM
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Randorama wrote:Scrilla, Drexciya and Convextion are new favourites, too, so thanks a lot!

I couldn't help to think: "Hey, Convextion is a white guy!". I know, it's 2019, but I really strongly identify Detroit Techno with Afro-futurism, -punk genres in SF and graveyard shift listening radios. Game-wise, I believe that Street Fighter III also had DT contaminations (I am thinking of Necro's theme in the second chapter, and listening to Drexciya's Harnessed the Storm, specifically).

EDIT: If I become an old professor with tenure and nothing to do all day, I would like to write a book reconstructing the influences of Detroit Techno, Afro-Futurism and -punk genres in Japanese arcade games (and a genealogy of artists who own some intellectual debt to Michael Moorcock, which could be a multi-volume work, eh!).

If I don't jump out of the window any given day before that or enlist in the foreign legion, of course.
Right on! glad you're digging the aquatic beats. I'm impressed (though not suprissed) that you were able to get into the world of Drexciya so quickly. It took me several years before I could start making sense of it all. Also, I'll need to give Necro's level music a listen.

Yeah, not only is Convextion a white dude but he's from Texas no less! Regardless, his sound is purely in the Motor City tradition, so much so that Juan Atkins tapped him to remix his Starlight track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACMqVSmCT9E
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Nat King Cole - The Essential Collection
This gentleman right here, folks. Hot damn! Need me one of his albums in vinyl.
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Periphery- IV: Hail Stan

Never listened to much from them before but this new album is top notch (warning its teh metal)
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

John Lee Hooker - Don' Look Back (1997)
Enjoyed it a lot, this man kept delivering right until the end.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

scrilla4rella wrote:
Randorama wrote: Could you suggest favourite works and and essential listening? Reading through encyclopaedias and sites feels too drab. Personal, subjective opinionated opinions are better, for an failing forgetful fool.
You really cant go wrong with Carl Craig's albums 'The Album Formerly Known as' (2005) and 'More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art' (1997). The former is a remake of 'Landcruising' (1995). Some like the original better.

This veers more into electro but a lot of material in the Dreciya cannon is being repressed thanks to Clone records in Rotterdam.
Elecktroids 'Electroworld' (1995) is a personal fav. Also, all of the Drexciya 'Journey of the Deep Sea Dweller' collections are worth it.

This one's a little more recent but I highly recommend Convextion '2845' (2016). It's has a bit of dub in there but everything is still firmly rooted in the Detroit sound. Just check the album cover.

i love carl craig. i still have all my Paperclip People 12"s from the 1990s
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Ootori no Kuru Hi - The End of The World. Best of J. A. Caesar is in this double discs live album. It's available to be listened on Deezer. Actually, I first listened just after Nico Live In Tokyo and the shows have a similar eerie vibe.