Dreamcast Scanlines - Big Problem

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Halloween Jack

Dreamcast Scanlines - Big Problem

Post by Halloween Jack »

Hi Guys,

I'm using a modded Jap DC on a Sony Monitor, and much to my dispair the video signal shows what look to be very pronounced scan lines. I've tried running it through both AV and S-Video, but to no success.

So does anybody know whether this is a common problem or if its resolvable through a VGA box?

My Jap PS2 on the same monitor outputs fantastic RGB through a SCART lead.

I'm mystified. :cry:

Thanks

Halloween Jack
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

This is perfectly normal if the game in question is outputing a non-interlaced 15khz signal. Almost all PS2 games output an interlaced picture, where scanlines are flickered between fields so they are not as noticeable on 15khz displays (except in vertical shmups where fast moving objects still display noticable scanlines, especially on a tated monitor).

Anyway, if your monitor can support 31khz, get a DC-VGA box and you won't have the scanline problem anymore.
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

Thanks for the information Dave, I'll look in to 31khz compatibility.

Cheers

Savage Entertainer
99pence

Post by 99pence »

What game are you using?
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
JigsawMan

Post by JigsawMan »

try a different mains electricity outlet just for the TV and dreamcast.
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

99pence wrote:What game are you using?
It's definitely not game specific, as the picture quality on the start-up screen is terrible. Must be related to the monitor being unable to accept the DC output. Really odd as the Jap PS2 projects a perfect picture through the monitor.

Cheers

Halloween Jack
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

JigsawMan wrote:try a different mains electricity outlet just for the TV and dreamcast.
Tried the monitor from many different electricity outlet, but to no avail.

Must be the non-interlaced signal. I think that I'll just have to buy a 21" PC monitor and run it through a DC VGA box. Real shame though.

Thanks,

Halloween Jack
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

JigsawMan wrote:try a different mains electricity outlet just for the TV and dreamcast.
Tried the monitor from many different electricity outlet, but to no avail.

Must be the non-interlaced signal. I think that I'll just have to buy a 21" PC monitor and run it through a DC VGA box. Real shame though.

Thanks,

Halloween Jack
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Can you take a picture of the DC on both the monitor and your TV, and post it for comparison?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
SAM

Re: Dreamcast Scanlines - Big Problem

Post by SAM »

Halloween Jack wrote:I'm using a modded Jap DC on a Sony Monitor, and much to my dispair the video signal shows what look to be very pronounced scan lines. I've tried running it through both AV and S-Video, but to no success.
I supect that the console is outputing PAL signal in stead of NTSC. This might due to the mod.
Halloween Jack wrote:So does anybody know whether this is a common problem or if its resolvable through a VGA box?
It would be no use, since the AV and S-Video is a stright pass thorugh of the VGA box.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

Well I'm not quite sure where to start with this, but determined to get Under Defeat up and running, I decided to skip any further investigative work in to understanding why the Sony monitor wouldn't output an S-Video or composite signal.

So, I popped in to Comet and paid £139 for a Sony KV-21CL10U (down from £259 as it was a demo). Got the new TV home, dusted it down and ordered a DC SCART lead. It arrived today, so I immediately tried it with the new TV - just fabulous!

Out of curiosity I also tried it with the Sony monitor that I'd been experiencing problems with - yep, you guessed it - perfect too!

So I now have a new TV, surplus to requirement, and a Sony monitor which accepts DC RGB, but not DC S-Video or composite input.

Totally confused, totally skint, but soothed by the splendour of G-Rev's latest.

Halloween Jack :evil:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I think you'd be more impressed with Under Defeat on a VGA monitor with DC-VGA box.