post here if YOU LIek VIDEO GAMES!!!!!!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: post here if YOU LIek VIDEO GAMES!!!!!!

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

the original Portal and Halo 3 are considered "ancient" ?? wtf
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Welp. how does it feel to be a gaeymer now we all have cancer?

I am currently unironically enjoying replaying Infamous.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

@VN and adventure games : The distinction is usually not too difficult to make, as VNs feature very minimal gameplay if at all.
And despite both being story-driven games, I think VNs work much better at actually telling a story than an adventure game because you don't have to worry about those arbitrary puzzles or those items or whatnot that break the immersion and pacing. I love that old man murray article, it's hilarous how something as nonsensical is an actual puzzle in the game and not a joke of some sort.

I like reading a story in a VN uninterrupted the same way I like playing a shmup without any intrusive long winded dialogue sequences. For example, I remember playing Hotel Dusk and hating it and its stupid puzzles, but enjoying the sequel a lot more as I decided to just follow a walkthrough to skip all the bullshit and appreciate the narrative, characters and atmosphere instead of putting random flour on a pen, repeatedly knocking on every single door in the game or something equally asinine and unfun.

There might be some exceptions though. For example, I didn't mind the few adventure elements in YU-NO as the time-travel mechanics made it so that you can try other story branches if you are stuck on one. Another Code R was also enjoyable, with a lovely atmosphere, and the puzzles weren't too intrusive from what I recall.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:the original Portal and Halo 3 are considered "ancient" ?? wtf
Your meme-fu is weak.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:What does that make people that still play gen 3/4 regularly? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blinge wrote:Welp. how does it feel to be a gaeymer now we all have cancer?
M.Knight wrote:I like reading a story in a VN uninterrupted the same way I like playing a shmup without any intrusive long winded dialogue sequences.
Well said. :cool:

Tangentially, on the subject of pacing extremes: I regard those who whine about moodier stuff like Silent Hill 2 and its lonely wanderings with the same contempt I have for the "buhh shumps too short and hard, y cant i talk 2 aliens instead" scrub horde. Image To tell you the truth both contingents can EAT SHIT AND DIE IMO Image

"Excuse me sir as a proud modern gamer I find your lack of consideration problematic, I need map prompts and instant win buttons so I can watch my LOST box set at the same time then bike to trendy coffee bar for a bite w/ friends after yoga haha"

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

M.Knight wrote:I like reading a story in a VN uninterrupted the same way I like playing a shmup without any intrusive long winded dialogue sequences.
Ugh. Felt like this when my buddy wanted me to try the new God of War.

I watched a bunch of boring shit, then I got to swing an ax a few times, then a lovely trip down the river. The game told me to swing the ax.

The entire time I'm asking when does the game start? After 10 minutes or so I was done.

BUT THE STORY MAN
My lord, I have come for you.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Welcome to the modern cinema errr gaming experience.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I got the new god of war for free with the ps4, should I just sell it to some normie? haven't even opened it yet
I don't play AAA in general
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

why do aaa video game developers think the way to make a video game have a 'mature story' is to throw a kid into the mix?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

is it actually bad though? gamefaqs is full of 10/10 GOTY posts and anyone saying it's a 7/10 is supposedly a troll
my favourite post was "played through it, sold it, 9.5/10"
if a game is a 9.5/10 i aint selling that shit
Steamflogger Boss

BIL wrote:Tangentially, on the subject of pacing extremes: I regard those who whine about moodier stuff like Silent Hill 2 and its lonely wanderings with the same contempt I have for the "buhh shumps too short and hard, y cant i talk 2 aliens instead" scrub horde. Image To tell you the truth both contingents can EAT SHIT AND DIE IMO Image
Brother BIL I have encountered the enemy on another gaming forum. He tells me shooters are boring and redundant. That he likes old games with BETTER gameplay or RPG elements. Is there any hope for this lost soul? :?: :?:

I have given him this list of shooters to try: Thunder Force IV, Seirei Senshi Spriggan, Elemental Master, Eliminate Down, Super Aleste, Gleylancer, Hellfire, Twinkle Tale, Nexzr, Biometal. 8)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Boss I must confess I no longer spare the energy on such scrubs. My attitude is that the lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep! Now if a sheep should pridefully intrude upon the lion's den, that is another matter entirely. Image

"RPG element," more like "pay 2 win disguised as game mechanic." Image
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Elemental Master
However that's a very solid crossover STG pick! Just enough wriggle room to not scare 'em off and an authentically furious pace besides.
Biometal
Sadly, even esteemed veterans (NOT NOOBS) tend to miss the point of Biometal :/ Which is to regard your shot as a sidearm and smash skulls with the shield like you're CAPN MURICA parachuting into a Neo Nazi backyard BBQ. Of course its not very good if you're hiding behind the shield like a pussy. Image The shield fucks up everyone and everything in its flight path, so throw the fucker out and snuff bullets and senders alike! Now instead of pecking and hiding, you are manfully bludgeoning! But like any man your stamina is not infinite, so you will need to dodge and tactically position during cooldown. As skill improves you can be progressively more aggressive, dodging and weaving to conserve shield for upcoming slaughter! And the endless waves of big chunky enemies will indulge! I'm telling you fuckers this is one good Shield Shump. Image
Steamflogger Boss

I agree. I used to like RPGs when I was young and wild, but now I would rather play something I can clear a nice hour or two session at night. For old games, nothing does it like a nice shooty or a platformer.

And yes Biometal RUUUUUULES. I didn't know it had kind of a bad rap among some shmuppers. Actually maybe I could have pieced that together mentally since it is one of the rare instances where the JP cart is much more than a US cart. Seems like Japan has the proper appreciation for it perhaps.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:That he likes old games with BETTER gameplay or RPG elements. Is there any hope for this lost soul? :?: :?:
A list of games with better gameplay than stg's is a very short list. Reminds me of a scene from Airplane!..
BIL wrote:Boss I must confess I no longer spare the energy on such scrubs. My attitude is that the lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep!
Or as I like to say - "Fuck those guys"
My lord, I have come for you.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Ah, yes, "RPG elements" AKA "Let's ruin any resemblance of balance and pacing in our game".
I wouldn't mind them in an actual RPG, but having them invading every genre possible can get annoying, especially if there is no properly fine-tuned "arcade mode".

Steamflogger : I think the JP version is more expensive because for some reason, the soundtrack has been replaced by some cheesy and unfitting 2unlimited music on the other versions.
It has a fun weapon system, but I didn't click with the level-design :
I wrote:I gave Bio-Metal another go and I finally understood the game's shield mechanics. Enough to reach the stage 3 boss at least. The shield is rather fun to play with, and I can see how it makes Bio-Metal stand out. That said I just can't stand the level design. It is chock-full of cheap hits :

-Enemies firing at you from behind while they are on the left side of the screen and about to leave? check.
-Enemies (with collision hitboxes) coming at you from behind with no warning? check.
-Enemies that fire a big red pseudo-laser without warning that will kill you if you try to pick up the powerups that were spawned right before them? check.

And that's just the first three levels. I am not sure I want to know what's in store afterwards. Also, the bosses so far have like...one pattern? And at least on my emulator, the game slows down a lot which fucks with the dodging because of the sudden acceleraton/deceleration.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fair. >¦3 Like Capn MURICA crashing a backyard NeoNazi BBQ, the early stage design and enemy distribution does tend towards a singleminded shield-smashing ruckus. st1 is actually one of my favourite openers in any hori just for the sheer carnage, but I could see it feeling vacant to some.

I don't remember much stuff coming from the left though, not before I could counteract it anyway. >_> Then again I am screen edge-phobic and like to keep a healthy buffer between myself and them, something made easier in Biometal by the shield's devastating eight-way bludgeon. If you can see it you can kill it, generally. I'm dead-center for all of stage 2 in particular, with all those encirclement waves.
Steamflogger Boss

M.Knight wrote:Ah, yes, "RPG elements" AKA "Let's ruin any resemblance of balance and pacing in our game".
I wouldn't mind them in an actual RPG, but having them invading every genre possible can get annoying, especially if there is no properly fine-tuned "arcade mode".

Steamflogger : I think the JP version is more expensive because for some reason, the soundtrack has been replaced by some cheesy and unfitting 2unlimited music on the other versions.
It has a fun weapon system, but I didn't click with the level-design :
I wrote:I gave Bio-Metal another go and I finally understood the game's shield mechanics. Enough to reach the stage 3 boss at least. The shield is rather fun to play with, and I can see how it makes Bio-Metal stand out. That said I just can't stand the level design. It is chock-full of cheap hits :

-Enemies firing at you from behind while they are on the left side of the screen and about to leave? check.
-Enemies (with collision hitboxes) coming at you from behind with no warning? check.
-Enemies that fire a big red pseudo-laser without warning that will kill you if you try to pick up the powerups that were spawned right before them? check.

And that's just the first three levels. I am not sure I want to know what's in store afterwards. Also, the bosses so far have like...one pattern? And at least on my emulator, the game slows down a lot which fucks with the dodging because of the sudden acceleraton/deceleration.
Ah shitty music, that would definitely do the trick.

Fair points on Biometal. I thought overall it was pretty good, but not on the same level as some of the others on that short lil list I posted earlier.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I like aggressive playstyles and tend to move to the top or right of the screen if I can, but not before I have a bit of knowledge on the level design, so that's why I played near the left edge and got hurt by enemies coming from behind (during stage 2 IIRC).

Also, for some reason, the screen also feels very cramped so I don't feel confident in rushing towards the right side. It probably has to do with my general inexperience with SNES/MD shmups and their resolutions. In Stage 1, if you let one of the big ships escape, you lose out on a lot more space than you would have in a higher resolution game I feel, not to mention them firing in your back while leaving. Though I can see how exhilarating it can be to smash them all with well-timed shield throws.

I guess I could enjoy the game more if I played it enough to remember the levels because I realize the fun potential in the raw mechanics, but the first few credits didn't give me that little incentive to play it more.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The timing on shield massacres is actually a lot less strict than I thought - Perikles and pegboy's replays really opened my eyes. It's more in the positioning - once you're in a spot that speeds up returns, you can just go fuckin ham:

Spoiler

Take that, you rude laser fucks! While you're greedily nomming up powerups, I'm bustin your domes! Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

BIL wrote: Tangentially, on the subject of pacing extremes: I regard those who whine about moodier stuff like Silent Hill 2 and its lonely wanderings with the same contempt I have for the "buhh shumps too short and hard, y cant i talk 2 aliens instead" scrub horde. Image To tell you the truth both contingents can EAT SHIT AND DIE IMO Image

"Excuse me sir as a proud modern gamer I find your lack of consideration problematic, I need map prompts and instant win buttons so I can watch my LOST box set at the same time then bike to trendy coffee bar for a bite w/ friends after yoga haha"
I feel the same way about so-called MGS fans on sites like Plebbit and Twatter who shit on the NES Metal Gears (particularly the criminally underrated Snake's Revenge), but when you ask them what they feel about the MSX2 Metal Gears, they'll tell you it's too hard or too old for them and that they much rather wait for hypothetical remakes that are never coming out. How can you tell the NES Metal Gears are bad if you never played the MSX2 versions to contrast them with?
Steamflogger Boss

Jonny2x4 wrote:
BIL wrote: Tangentially, on the subject of pacing extremes: I regard those who whine about moodier stuff like Silent Hill 2 and its lonely wanderings with the same contempt I have for the "buhh shumps too short and hard, y cant i talk 2 aliens instead" scrub horde. Image To tell you the truth both contingents can EAT SHIT AND DIE IMO Image

I feel the same way about so-called MGS fans on sites like Plebbit and Twatter who shit on the NES Metal Gears (particularly the criminally underrated Snake's Revenge), but when you ask them what they feel about the MSX2 Metal Gears, they'll tell you it's too hard or too old for them and that they much rather wait for hypothetical remakes that are never coming out. How can you tell the NES Metal Gears are bad if you never played the MSX2 versions to contrast them with?
I've played both and while the MSX2 versions are a bit better for smallish reasons the NES versions are absolutely still playable and anyone that is a fan of the series should play them in some form or another.
BIL

Post by BIL »

If I weren't so goddamn lazy, I'd finally make that montage of Naked Raiden sneaking to THIS COOKIN' GROOVE
BIL

Post by BIL »

btw

ANCIENT GAMING (circa 2010) has some good drama Image I am just catching up and enjoying it so much, I thought it'd be good to share! WINGS OF REDEMPTION is a popular COD player with a short fuse who shit-talked the honourable SYNDICATE, master of COD ZOMBIES (I think I am getting this correct!). WINGS said SYNDICATE was lame because ZOMBIES is 1P, so they did PVP and WINGS got his shit shoved in badly. :shock:

FULL MATCH w/ PANTS-SHITTING RAGE-QUIT (punishingly boring but good for context!)
18m0s CRITICAL MOMENT "AH BROKE MUH CONTROLLER, FUK U, FUKKEN FAGGETS, FUK"

To regain face... Image

WINGS TRIED BRIBING SYNDICATE TO THROW A REMATCH Image
WHAT THE FUCK Image
SO MUCH FOR PVP MASTER RACE MIRITE Image

Around here all we get is the occasional falsificare Image Those are amusing but they lack the same sting of humiliation! BEWARE however, this guy's subsequent spiral down gets pretty depressing - not for noobs! :o However I am a bit of a rubbernecking schadenfreude junkie so I watched a few of his rage comps. He really loses his fuckin rag! He makes good money though I guess.

It's not all bad either tbh! I'm always telling my fellows, never break controllers! Such short-term destructive indulgence is unbecoming of a man! BUT NOW I can ALSO link them to Wings - who cannot see his own pen0r! :shock: Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Steamflogger Boss wrote: I've played both and while the MSX2 versions are a bit better for smallish reasons the NES versions are absolutely still playable and anyone that is a fan of the series should play them in some form or another.
Someone in the previous forum I used to frequent made an entire thread just to call the first NES game "the worst port ever" and it was just a list of differences copied verbatim from the Metal Gear Wiki. To be honest, the NES version does have many issues over the MSX2 original (like the obscure solution for the two mazes, the omission of the !! alert mode, no ammo/ration drop, ect.), but it's just mediocre rather than outright terrible. It does have some ideas that I wish were implemented in the MSX2 version, like how the Jungle area gives the game a greater sense of scope and basically serves as a hub (admittedly something that was probably done only to make up for the lack of proper checkpoints), while the inclusion of a properly organized inventory is more convenient than simply having your items show up in the order you picked them up. Even the soundtrack is a bit catchier (I swear to God that Battle in the Base from MGS3 took a few cues from the NES version's alert theme, given Kazuki Muraoka's involvement in both). It just needed an extra month or two in the oven to work out all the bugs and issues.

Snake's Revenge on the other hand, is a legitimately great game in my opinion. I might go as far as to put it on my top 10 NES games. It's mechanically identical to the first MSX2 entry, but fixes the aforementioned issues thy the NES version had (it brings back !! alert mode, item/rations drop and it has proper checkpoints instead of having the respawn point set to your rank), has actual variety in level designs (including a ship infiltration that clearly inspired the Tanker chapter of MGS2) and an awesome soundtrack. The only issue I have with the game are the side-scrolling levels could've been done better and there are a few gotcha moments. But it's a Metal Gear sequel directed by the creator of Castlevania (who apparently mentored Kojima in his early days). Not many games can claim to be that.
Last edited by Jonny2x4 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steamflogger Boss

I might have to go through Snake's Revenge again at some point. It's been 10+ years. The MSX versions I actually beat again earlier this year.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Immryr wrote:why do aaa video game developers think the way to make a video game have a 'mature story' is to throw a kid into the mix?
I'd say it's a fair approach. As a storytelling tool, it's an easy way to make it more relatable to people who are parents.
Jonny2x4 wrote: I feel the same way about so-called MGS fans on sites like Plebbit and Twatter who shit on the NES Metal Gears (particularly the criminally underrated Snake's Revenge), but when you ask them what they feel about the MSX2 Metal Gears, they'll tell you it's too hard or too old for them and that they much rather wait for hypothetical remakes that are never coming out. How can you tell the NES Metal Gears are bad if you never played the MSX2 versions to contrast them with?
I played both MSX Metal Gears, and only superficially touched the NES one, but as far as I recall, there are some very valid criticisms to be made.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall it, moving to a new room, or into a car even (in a game with no scrolling, mind you) would immediately cancel any baddies following you, making stealth a lot more "optional", and fucking up almost without consequence.
The jungle part that was added to the beginning, though short, is definitely a really bad introduction to the game too, with the annoying dogs and awkward collision detection on the plant walls. The boxy man-made structures of the main game is really what the gameplay is designed around, and the MSX version drops you off right there.
I can understand if MG fans are annoyed that people tend to consider the NES version "the original game" of the series, when the earlier MSX version is such a much more accomplished game.

Also, though it's a sequel in plot, I'd say MGS is definitely a liberal remake of both MSX games, with almost everything going on in the game being lifted directly from its prequels.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Indeed there are legit flaws in the first NES Metal Gear. It lacks the mercy invincibility, the double exclamation mark alert phase, no ammo/ration drops when you punch guards and no proper checkpoint system when you die (your respawn spot is based on your rank instead), which are incidentally all issues that were fixed in Snake's Revenge. It also lacks the Metal Gear boss battle, replaced by a giant monitor that's much simpler to destroy, and splits the basement floor that connects Building No. 1 and 2 into its own building, but adds an unnecessary Lost Woods-maze with no in-game clue to the solution. There's also more subtle flaws like how a door closes when you open a door with a keycard and then switch to the inventory or the fact that you can reset the position of enemy guards by using the binoculars. The whole game is pretty rushed. But you hardly see any of that brought up when discussing/analyzing the first NES game.

Instead they bring up the crap-ass manual/box localization that is not even reflected in the game itself and even go as far as to claim that the MSX version has a much more epic story like the later MGS games when it's just as simple and minimalist as its NES counterpart. In fact, the European MSX version is missing like half of the CODEC calls from the Japanese version, whereas the NES version has them all translated. But the missing CODEC calls were nothing special, just commentary on item pickups and other miscellaneous shit that don't amount to much.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BIL wrote:"RPG element," more like "pay 2 win disguised as game mechanic." Image
I like RPG elements when they add to a game's depth rather than detract from it. I know that's only a vanishingly tiny number of actual RPGs, but RPG elements aren't inherently bad!
Immryr wrote:why do aaa video game developers think the way to make a video game have a 'mature story' is to throw a kid into the mix?
Because normies think a story's maturity is determined by what it is about rather than how it is told. Parenthood is a popular choice because it's a "mature" topic and an easy way to create emotional engagement.