shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:02 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 214
Location: The Bydo Empire
Kollision wrote:
for a while the XBONE was everybody's favorite Netflix player around here
then I got a couple of smart TVs and it was shelved
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that said, I'd still get Ikaruga for it or the PS4 even if I don't like the game much


Why would you buy it if you don't like it much?

I finally got the GC version last year, and I've just not been able to get into this game. It's beautiful to look at, and elegantly designed (e.g. with no powerups or speed control, yet I don't miss either of those things), but it just leaves me cold. I'm not very good at the game, but I'm also not motivated to get better. Oh well, glad I finally tried it after all these years.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:54 pm 



Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 1375
Now I have to decide on whether I should get Ikaruga on the Switch or on the PS4...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Apr 2006
Posts: 916
Global release date is 29th of June.
10$


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 am 



Joined: 14 Jun 2018
Posts: 1
I wonder why they port Ikaruga to everything, but never Radiant Silvergun, which only has Saturn and 360 versions?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 am 



Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1106
Location: Leeds
Appelgold wrote:
I wonder why they port Ikaruga to everything, but never Radiant Silvergun, which only has Saturn and 360 versions?


Pretty sure Microsoft basically paid treasure for it. All around the same time Microsoft publicly expressed an interest, Treasure publicly said they weren't interested in revisiting RS, few months later work port announced and then later started showing up on xbla listings.

This was all around the time microsoft were putting 'only on xbox' stamps on what was seen as japanese territory games, and trying to push the 360 in Japan and get Japanese devs on board with microsoft setting up support and giving dev kits to people, and has often been suspected for the (cave-related) reason the 360 became the shmup console last gen, at least to begin with. Despite the mind share that Sony had they did not initially have as welcoming an environment to small devs/indies as microsoft had at that specific point in time and the xbla+indie initiatives were way ahead of psn ... also there were some strange policies something like 4:3 even wallpapered was banned on new psn releases (excepting ps2/classic re-releases) for a time as it would make the platform/brand look old ... these days it is of course different and much more case by case what kind of deal/treatment teams/games get.

Either way whether explicitly paid for or not I think it's fairly evident Treasure must be honouring some kind of a deal, or at least understanding, that they had with Microsoft - perhaps also combined with their own initial ambivalence towards revisiting RS (for whatever reason - I believe more centred around Treasure's opinion/fear the game might just look old to contemporary audiences at a time when they were still wanting to work on new titles actively - I don't believe there were any licensing pitfalls around art or music but who knows). After all without some understanding that this was an xbla exclusive you would otherwise often see a console exclusive making its way onto steam even if it never appeared on another console.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm 



Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 33
Looks like crap on XBOX BC since it's just upscaling from whatever resolution the 360 ran at.

PC version is awesome but still picking this up on PS4. Just feels right.

How is the framerate on the Switch version in handheld mode? Any skips?
I've become leery of buying multiplatform games on Switch cuz they too often underperform frame wise compared to PC/PS4.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7056
Location: MD
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
How is the framerate on the Switch version in handheld mode? Any skips?
I've become leery of buying multiplatform games on Switch cuz they too often underperform frame wise compared to PC/PS4.


AFAIK framerate of Ikaruga is 60FPS in both handheld and docked modes. I didn't notice any skips.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:15 pm 



Joined: 05 May 2012
Posts: 561
Location: USA
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
Looks like crap on XBOX BC since it's just upscaling from whatever resolution the 360 ran at.

PC version is awesome but still picking this up on PS4. Just feels right.

How is the framerate on the Switch version in handheld mode? Any skips?
I've become leery of buying multiplatform games on Switch cuz they too often underperform frame wise compared to PC/PS4.



Looks fine on my 360 , Arcade Cabinet Through 360 and VGA Monitor, Xbox One , Xbox One S and Xbox One X. So maybe it is your display. Mine all look great.
_________________
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 pm 



Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 33
Im sure it lioks "fine" to a lot of people but the fact is that its upscaled from the X360's resolution. Now compare it side by side with the PC version (and I assume the Switch & PS4 version since theyre based on the PC v.)

I was able to compare the Xboxone x and the pc versions on the same 1080p tv and the difference is very noticeable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:52 pm 



Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 33
BrianC wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
How is the framerate on the Switch version in handheld mode? Any skips?
I've become leery of buying multiplatform games on Switch cuz they too often underperform frame wise compared to PC/PS4.


AFAIK framerate of Ikaruga is 60FPS in both handheld and docked modes. I didn't notice any skips.


Nice.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7056
Location: MD
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
Im sure it lioks "fine" to a lot of people but the fact is that its upscaled from the X360's resolution. Now compare it side by side with the PC version (and I assume the Switch & PS4 version since theyre based on the PC v.)

I was able to compare the Xboxone x and the pc versions on the same 1080p tv and the difference is very noticeable.


If 720p is chosen on Xbox One with Ikaruga, does it downscale from an upscaled 1080p, or is it actual 720p?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:52 pm 



Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 33
BrianC wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
How is the framerate on the Switch version in handheld mode? Any skips?
I've become leery of buying multiplatform games on Switch cuz they too often underperform frame wise compared to PC/PS4.


AFAIK framerate of Ikaruga is 60FPS in both handheld and docked modes. I didn't notice any skips.


You were right on point. Picked it up on Switch and runs perfect as far as I can tell.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:53 pm 



Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 33
BrianC wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
Im sure it lioks "fine" to a lot of people but the fact is that its upscaled from the X360's resolution. Now compare it side by side with the PC version (and I assume the Switch & PS4 version since theyre based on the PC v.)

I was able to compare the Xboxone x and the pc versions on the same 1080p tv and the difference is very noticeable.


If 720p is chosen on Xbox One with Ikaruga, does it downscale from an upscaled 1080p, or is it actual 720p?

I don't have a 720 display to test that but I'll keep a look out if I see any 720 impressions out there.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:01 am 



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 176
Location: Everywhere
Would be great to at least see some new modes in Ikaruga like Cave does with their home versions...
_________________
BADCP Portal (http://www.angelfire.com/games3/badcp)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 979
Location: Romania
BAD wrote:
Would be great to at least see some new modes in Ikaruga like Cave does with their home versions...

It doesn't seem like they have any designers to work on them.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:58 pm 



Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 1375
So is this game better on PS4? Or should we just stick to it on the 360?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 1885
Location: Minnesota, USA
PS4 version is out now. Surely someone picked it up and has impressions?
_________________
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:20 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1368
Location: Vienna, VA
Pretty much feels like the PC version to me.

I'm super rusty and not playing on an ideal setup, but so far it feels ok.
All the options from the PC version are there (minus the mouse+keyboard stuff obviously), and the appendix with art etc.

The replays I've downloaded off the leaderboard have worked without issue.

Recognizes my joystick with no issue (brook universal fighting board)

Jeneki wrote:
PS4 version is out now. Surely someone picked it up and has impressions?
_________________
Suck


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 pm 



Joined: 15 Dec 2017
Posts: 33
I got the PS4 and Switch versions.

The Switch one is pretty good. I only play in handheld mode and it plays how you'd expect. No frame drops that I noticed. Too bad you gotta use the analog stick in handheld mode WHACK. I still got it just to play Ikaruga on the go and its worth the price for that feature IMO.

The PS4 version IMO is the definitive edition of Ikaruga.
I'm playing on a PS4 Pro on a 1080p display with supersampling ON and it looks so crisp and smooth. No weird scaling artifacts like on the XBONE X BC version. The DS4 feels great and super responsive with its proper Dpad.

Both the PS4 and Switch versions are refreshed versions of the PC version which I have as well.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 370
Location: USA
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
The PS4 version IMO is the definitive edition of Ikaruga.


Does this version also have the issue of disappearing enemies in the clouds in the first level, like the PC and Switch versions?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:44 pm 



Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 1368
Location: Vienna, VA
WarpZone wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
The PS4 version IMO is the definitive edition of Ikaruga.


Does this version also have the issue of disappearing enemies in the clouds in the first level, like the PC and Switch versions?


I've never come across it, but it could be the way I do that section just never triggers it.
_________________
Suck


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:03 pm 



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 236
It's the fourth time I've bought this bloody game, and every time I think the same thing: given how much the game is built around chaining and how easy it is to drop that chain, would it fucking kill them to give me a quick restart, ffs.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:28 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7056
Location: MD
Darkseed_5150 wrote:
The Switch one is pretty good. I only play in handheld mode and it plays how you'd expect. No frame drops that I noticed. Too bad you gotta use the analog stick in handheld mode WHACK. I still got it just to play Ikaruga on the go and its worth the price for that feature IMO.


The game can also be controlled with the arrow buttons. Hopefully, that hori pad thing or another alternative comes to the US. Digital pad also works when a bluetooth controller is used.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 979
Location: Romania
Stevas wrote:
It's the fourth time I've bought this bloody game, and every time I think the same thing: given how much the game is built around chaining and how easy it is to drop that chain, would it fucking kill them to give me a quick restart, ffs.

"simple menu" on the Steam version makes restarting pretty quick, is that on consoles? at any rate I wouldn't mind a fast hotkey for restarting in any shmup.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Oct 2006
Posts: 6
Location: New Jersey, USA
So I guess there is no hope for a physical release coming down the pike? I'm really getting sick of digital only releases.
_________________
-Gandalf42 < shmuptacular.com >


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:08 pm 



Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 236
ciox wrote:
Stevas wrote:
It's the fourth time I've bought this bloody game, and every time I think the same thing: given how much the game is built around chaining and how easy it is to drop that chain, would it fucking kill them to give me a quick restart, ffs.

"simple menu" on the Steam version makes restarting pretty quick, is that on consoles? at any rate I wouldn't mind a fast hotkey for restarting in any shmup.


Yeah, thanks... It makes it slightly less annoying. I mean, it ain't pause -> restart - which is what it should be (or even as you say: map one of the many unused buttons to a fast restart) - but what was I thinking eh, I am clearly absolutely fucking mental, etc.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:51 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 242
Arcade, Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox 360, PC/Steam, Switch and now Playstation 4... wow, this gives 7 different systems...

Will Ikaruga also be released for the new Atari VCS? :mrgreen:

Joking aside, I own Ikaruga for GameCube, Xbox 360 and PC/Steam, one more copy I think it would be an overdose for me. :mrgreen:

Nothing against the news, but I think it would be more interesting to relaunch Radiant Silvergun for more systems than Arcade, Saturn and Xbox 360.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:31 am 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 643
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Kobayashi wrote:
I think it would be more interesting to relaunch Radiant Silvergun for more systems than Arcade, Saturn and Xbox 360.


For sure, but as above, too much work with less expected return. I'm still thankful it's not only on 360 but playable on the One.

Anybody think they'll try to squeeze a few more Ikaruga sales out of the One, or just assume the BC version killed that revenue already?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm 



Joined: 05 May 2012
Posts: 561
Location: USA
On sale for $4.99 at PSN store in the USA and Europe.
_________________
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ikaruga on PS4?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:09 pm 



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 643
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Thanks. Probably worth double-dipping at $5.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group