shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 5:39 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222 ... 314  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:17 am 

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/26/re ... un-summer/
50 bucks? Tad expensive, I think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:45 pm 

Much cheaper than new SNES games ever were, and only half of what of what iam8bit is selling those overpriced Mega Man carts for.

I think it's hard to sell SNES games much cheaper than that and still turn a profit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:04 pm 

A bit off topic, but a few days ago I found my old Mega Drive, my Game Boy Colour and my chinese Famicom knockoff, along with a bunch of games for those systems, including some for the Master System (also have the SMS converter to play them).

Unfortunately the MD is a model II and requires a 9-pin mini DIN to connect to the TV, which I don't have around, and the only FC joypad I found has a semi-busted D-Pad.

I took a pic of the more amusing carts.

Two of those chinese compilation carts (999-in-1 or thereabouts)
Spoiler: show

My Ninja Crusaders cart, which I can only assume is a bootleg because the JP cart pics I can find are nothing like it. It does have a different case than the other bootleg carts I own, though it is quite beat up and the stickers are long gone (in fact, I think they were already gone by the time I came into its possession).

And by far the most amusing is this one:

You'd think this is a game based on the Home Alone movie(s), but as it turns out, this is a bootleg of Konami's Rollergames, though it's lacking the regular title screen and instead boots to one saying DJ Boy.

The one I couldn't find was the Boukenjima 2 cart, though it was, of course, also a bootleg (I originally asked the shopkeeper for a Mario game and he game me this. Fortunately the game was quite good). :lol:

Also learned how unwieldy it is to play the original Pokemon Pinball on a GBA SP. :lol:

Last edited by __SKYe on Tue May 29, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:21 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Much cheaper than new SNES games ever were, and only half of what of what iam8bit is selling those overpriced Mega Man carts for.

Not to mention that a few of the iam8bit carts (not sure about the latest ones) had warnings that they could set fire to the system.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:55 am 

Okay, so I don't know if I've ever gushed about what might be my fave Metal Slug/Contra style sidescrolling run 'n gun, but here goes:

Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa is amazing. It's one of the few Konami games that wasn't badly butchered in the western release and changed to have quarter munching shenanigans like health draining over time. They did change the default settings in the western version to remove level select oddly enough, but that can be fixed in the menu options, and the only other major change is an adjustment to one particular enemy's hitbox which makes it tougher (though not much). It's basically a spiritual successor to Sunset Riders and is based on an old kids show franchise (made by one of the artists from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I think). I was introduced to it and became obsessed with it, clearing both loops on each of the released versions.

What's really cool is it has a kind of universal dodge (as in full i-frames) that's done by using a dash attack and immediately cancelling it to do this kind of spin jump in the opposite direction. (I refer to it as Dash Cancelling in the walkthrough below.) It makes it relatively easy for an arcade clear, and there's also a fair number of health items in the game too, and a final boss who uses a fuckin' SHORYUKEN on you. It's badass and it's actually pretty reasonable in difficulty if you're looking for something not too brutal (easier than some of the console versions of Contra to 1CC I'd argue), though the final boss is a definite difficulty spike over the rest of the game.

I even got obsessed enough to make a damn walkthrough of the thing, so no excuses not to see more folks give this a whirl, right? It might actually be the best of any of Konami's franchise/licensed games (Simpsons, X-Men, and TMNT beat em ups all had really wonky hit detection and boss mechanics compared to this). The bosses are fair and actually telegraph their attacks here, and don't magically break out of stagger/stun unpredictably at random.

Also, this is a really late reply and off topic but:

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Funny you should bring up Edmond again, because I came across some Wizardry posts he made on Digitpress just last year.

I seem to recall a few individuals claiming that the level "bug" in question was in fact real, caused by a misunderstanding of the Apple Pascal RANDOM function when porting to DOS, but I can't provide any sources because they all link to warez.

The bug is real. There was a period where I was seriously obsessed with the game and played and beat the Apple II, MS-DOS, NES, SNES, and PS1 versions to see what they were like. For the MS-DOS saw some other people mention the bug on GameFAQs if I recall and I know with testing I experienced it for myself. Was using DOSBox and playing with a reasonable number of cycles (2000 or 3000), and DOSBox is very reliable and accurate as far as emulation goes, so I am positive it wasn't a bug related to gamespeed or emulation (especially given there are other reports of this issue). As you gained levels in other versions, the stat calculations inevitably trended upwards. Sure, you could go down in stats occasionally, but eventually with enough levels, you would reliably max out with 18s in all stats and maybe a few 17s. Unique to the MS-DOS version, class change was nearly impossible to achieve because stat growth was ridiculously unreliable. I remember going BELOW a 0 stat score and it wrapped around to like 31 or something stupid. See this post from 6 years ago. I've played the various other versions of Wizardry extensively since then and none of them have the MS-DOS version's wonky unreliable stat growths. I am 100% convinced the MS-DOS version is worth avoiding for this reason and the PS1 release is possibly one of the best for the first three games.

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Wed May 30, 2018 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:17 am 

Interesting, I knew of Moo Mesa but never really looked into it (admittedly this is how I am with way too much arcade-only stuff...) Sounds excellent.

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
I even got obsessed enough to make a damn walkthrough of the thing, so no excuses not to see more folks give this a whirl, right?

Nicely done, gave it a skim and can tell you really made an effort! I've mulled over writing a few guides to go with my landmark study in FC Little Nemo ( :lol: ).

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 am 

Thanks! Weirdly, instead of a shmup or beat em up, the only other FAQ I've bothered to write so far was for an obscure RPG called Iffermoon made by the dude who made "Five Nights at Freddy's", back when he was in his phase of packaging up bad Christian religious allegorical tales and awkward anti-abortion messaging in otherwise interesting and unique sci-fi RPGs.

Neat realtime combat system and art style, astonishingly shit story though once he pulls the reveal on you. God shows up in a blatant Mary Sue character who's an asshole and unceremoniously tells you how important he is for having made everything then lets your father figure get killed for no particular reason and then after you kill the big bad guy he gives a speech about how your whole planet is doomed and you should be happy with this and that's like literally how the game ends (leaving you to go fight superbosses, woo). Also, heaven is where God resurrects dead people in robotic bodies and fucks with them by forcing them to live underground in exile with no contact with the living ever, cause he's a huge asshole. And God is a playable character, seriously. His special ability's one of the shittier ones too, laughably enough.

It was actually intended as a passive-aggressive "fuck you" to the author for having bait and switched me, with the game I enjoyed in my youth suddenly turning into really badly written religious proselytization shoehorned into the plot out of nowhere. I went back years later and played it enough to loop the game 4 times and fight the stupid superboss that shows on the hardest difficulty mode. Now Iffermoon has the distinction of having the only detailed walkthrough available being one that was written by someone who finds the game's plot utterly loathsome and trite. ;3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:18 am 

From what you've said and having looked up a few screenshots, I think Iffermoon might just be a good candidate for this thread's Last Post Ever - my other current pick being sidescrolling zombie rape riot Parasite In City Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:34 am 

BIL wrote:
zombie rape riot Parasite In City Image

I knew I'd regret looking this up. SO WHY DID I DO IT ANYWAYS?!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:41 am 

It's the title imo, got just the right unassuming Engrish. Image Parasite? In my city?!

Actually I just had a thought... the Parasite Eve angle is obvious enough, but maybe it's meant to be riffing on Sex In The City? :lol: But yes, it's pretty incorrigible stuff! Although I do like those vengeful shotgun blasts. :cool:

In total seriousness, I like the idea of a sidescrolling survival horror/action game. Fearful, nervous, but amicable to (and demanding of!) skilled input over damage sponging. Actually, I'm sure there's something out there, somewhere, that fits the bill... but for now, the nearest I've found is Alien 3 MD - which got the broad strokes right but completely bungled the execution. (what an odd coincidence, Dracula II GB just came up in the CV thread. I think the universe is telling me to play some new games. >_> Happily I have a friggin boatload of FC stuff to write up, I'm just being a bit lazy)

__SKYe wrote:
My Ninja Crusaders cart, which I can only assume is a bootleg because the JP cart pics I can find are nothing like it. It does have a different case than the other bootleg carts I own, though it is quite beat up and the stickers are long gone (in fact, I think they were already gone by the time I came into its possession).

NC is one of those FC carts that looks kinda bootleggy to begin with, tbh. :mrgreen: Got the same seafoam-green thing going on as Chuuka Taisen.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:16 am 

Scott Cawthon is an interesting guy... In a way I'm glad someone so thoroughly weird has found some measure of success, even if it's from youtuber bait like FNAF.

I mean, what can you say about a guy who makes an RPG out of that ancient Protestant moralist tale, Pilgrim's Progress - and stuffs it full of heavy-metal death-dealing motherfuckers?

You can repent all you want, but SOULDOZER is coming in/for your ass!!!

Methinks that his penchant for hyper-detailed, gnarly robot murder machines didn't have much of an outlet in his 'traditional' social community. Hence why his early games meld overt Christian moralizing with imagery straight out of thrash metal album covers. That's all more or less gone by the time he found his niche with his pizza guy simulations. :mrgreen:

I can give a shoutout to the charming mess of a game Desolate Hope, as it is also a wonky platformer, part-adventure game with batshit insane RPG sequences starring a sentient coffee-pot on a derelict space station trying to save the station from decay and computer viruses. How often do you see a game play so fast and loose with genre rules and conventions and throw everything into a blender? :mrgreen: Inelegant, but it's free and you'd never play anything like it, even if only for a little while.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:21 am 

It may be a full-on religious game, a bizarre subject for an RPG, and among the weaker of his RPGs due to how relatively dull the combat and grinding is, Pilgrim's Progress has by far the best enemy designs out of his RPG era creations. Some of them look damn cool and imposing.

I actually thought that The Desolate Room was better than the sequel. It was shorter, but had a better thought out combat system IMO. The Desolate Hope's platforming was never remotely difficult (your average Mega Man game is at least several times more challenging), and the RPG battles felt too manic with them being spaced far apart, meaning it was impossible to get a proper feel for the game's difficulty curve. There's also that dull CPU minigame which ends up being the best way to grind since no in-game time passes there... A lot of different ideas all badly mashed together basically. Nice art though.

His older library of obscure stuff is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fivenightsatfr ... s_will_be/

A lot of it is highly questionable or amusing yet mediocre, but there's a few in there that aren't too shabby either. M.O.O.N. is a full on Metroid style platformer that's 2-3 hours long. The art assets for the terrain kinda suck sadly (instead of complex tiles, he just uses the same rocks laid out beside each other to make up rooms). Video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kyudGmhKWb0

There's a lot of playthrough footage on this guy's Youtube channel. Another amusing one to look up is the Bogart games he made - they're hilariously low quality attempts at a Castlevania style platformer and manage to be just, just barely playable: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ME9ZbITCuqY

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:11 pm 

Speaking of GameFAQS - Oi Jonny! You wrote the Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku FAQ right? Cheers bud, much appreciated. Image

For a long time it was just Monogatari, Special and Dodgeball I was into, but I'm gradually exploring the others (Famicom only for now). I was subconsciously dreading a Hyper Olympic button-masher in Koushinkyoku, but it seems to play pretty smoothly. Killer art design too, the chibi cityscape is just as charming as Monogatari's. As soon as the course sent me barreling through a hapless couple's dining room I was charmed. Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:36 pm 

I never thought that "Dismember album cover or christian RPG" could be such a difficult question to answer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:30 pm 

Obscura wrote:
I never thought that "Dismember album cover or christian RPG" could be such a difficult question to answer.

and don't forget the enemy you encounter in a literal dungeon that makes you wonder if he has some kind of hardcore furry bdsm fetish

cause this is one seriously kinky elephant, jesus

BIL wrote:
As soon as the course sent me barreling through a hapless couple's dining room I was charmed. Image

The dodgeball games were fantastic. I'm actually ashamed to say I've not had a chance to play any of the other major games in the Kunio-Kun series that were made. Any recommendations where to start or what the best ones were? River City Ransom obviously always seems to get top marks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:56 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
The dodgeball games were fantastic. I'm actually ashamed to say I've not had a chance to play any of the other major games in the Kunio-Kun series that were made. Any recommendations where to start or what the best ones were? River City Ransom obviously always seems to get top marks.

Other than RCR/Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari, I'm really only experienced with its FC-exclusive sequel, the jidaigeki-themed Downtown Special. I was playing the hell out of it last fall and meant to do a writeup actually, but got distracted and ended up posting on Hebereke instead. :smile:

Special is a pretty safe recommendation if you like RCR - it basically takes that game's ARPG concept and applies it to a truly open world. Just like RCR, you progress by taking down bosses... only, instead of your path moving routinely to the right with regular boss encounters, you have a spawling interconnected map which they move freely about. Each location is basically an arena, with varying environmental features/dangers - although bosses are fought in set order, they can appear anywhere, adding a bit of variety and strategy. If they're in a place you find a pain, you can just wait a bit and track 'em down elsewhere.

Having said all this, the combat engine isn't much more complex than RCR's. Some neat special moves including a teleport punch that's brutally satisfying to connect, some punishing hits previously exclusive to RCR bosses like the Dragon Bros' spinkick and Ivan's headbutt, and the expected sense of cartoony yet bone-jarring violence. But no matter the enemy, if you can get a good whack in with a Grand Slam-powered weapon, they're probably not getting back up (I recommend the wagon/cart, great range and knocks motherfuckers out). Just like RCR, this simplicity cuts both ways... the highest difficulty setting is pretty unforgiving, so it's not without some tension.

Ultimately neither game's combat has the focused excellence of something like FC DDII, but that's not what I play 'em for anyway. I enjoy the relaxing combo of no-stress roaming, comically painful violence and just a bit of ARPG grindan.

Koushinkyoku is a departure from both the street fighting and dodgeball formats - it's a four-man athletics competition with a focus on racing, climbing and general mobility (though tactical violence does still figure heavily). I've only just started with it, but I'm very impressed - the parkour city race is full of treacherous fun. There's a translation patch for both it and Downtown Special, which you'll probably need with the amount of text in both games.

The remaining FC Kunios are 1] arcade sports, basically spiritual sequels to Dodgeball (ice hockey, basketball and two soccer games, the earlier of which was localised as Nintendo World Cup) 2] another athletics competition (localised as Crash n' The Boys Street Challenge), and 3] the arena fighting game Kakuto Densetsu... which felt to me like RCR/Special minus their charming little worlds. I need to properly check all these out, but tbh, even arcadey sports was never my thing so I've put it off. :mrgreen:

That said, as a fan of raucous brawler violence it's hard to dislike any of these games; such lovably belligerent style. <333 Technos on FC. I was messing about with Monogatari last night and laughed out loud when, as I hauled ass back to town to buy my usual fave Army Boots, a would-be interceptor flung his brass knuckles at me only to clock his pursuing buddy square in the face. :lol: That *BWAP* sound effect and the stunned, bug-eyed reaction - slapstick perfection. Image

RCR, Dodgeball, Koushinkyoku and the first soccer also got PCE ports, and I think an MD port of the last, and there are scattered Game Boy versions too, plus an original Kunio brawler that was rebranded for overseas as Double Dragon II GB... haven't even scratched the surface of those. It's a pretty sprawling series, even before taking these into account. There's also a fair few SFC originals (two brawlers, plus even more arcade sports), and the Neo Geo's own Super Dodgeball, sadly among the last Technos releases before they went bankrupt. Jonny and others' experience with these almost certainly dwarfs mine so will leave it there for now! I'm most interested in the GBA's Monogatari EX, by Million (ex-Technos staff) which makes some intriguing changes towards a more "gang war" style. There's a ton of other GBA/DS releases but I've not even glanced at 'em. It's my habit to check stuff out a couple generations later at minimum. ;3

Predating all this, of course there's also the original game and innovator of beltscrolling violence Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun, which got a pretty nice FC port (both AC and FC got US/EU releases as Renegade). Skye has posted in detail on the FC port in this thread. I'm very fond of it (recently picked up a copy myself actually), but I wouldn't really include it in the same series as the Dodgeball/onward Kunios. Much more in line with its immediate successor Double Dragon's deadly-serious arcade brawling.

If there is one Technos release you absolutely must play imo, it's Double Dragon Advance (again by ex-staff at Million). Foot of this post for elaboration. Judicious love letter to classic Technos brawling. Easily makes my desert island list just for its no-nonsense survival mode. Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:59 pm 

Yeah, the first Kunio-kun is a more arcadey game compared to RCR. From all the other games in the series, the one that is the most similar to it, is Shin Nekketsu Kunio-kun SFC, whereas the other SFC game, Shodai Nekketsu Kouhai: Kunio-kun, has more in common with RCR (levels, unlockable moves, etc).
Another one that feels like it could be a sequel to it, gameplay-wise, is Combatribes.

I haven't played the FC's dodgeball game, but I have played the GBA remake and it is pretty neat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:52 am 

did a 2-miss hardest fast bullets run on Shinobi and I think after 10 years of on-and-offing this game I'm officially sick of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpZ3RwdGtA4

dies twice on 4-2 and features a no-glitch first pass kill of stage 3 boss Mandara.

i wanted to do a no miss run but fuckin fuck it man :p
aaaand I guess I'm back on Twitter again: link

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:04 am 

Formidable, you must be on par with the board's longtime AC Shinobi authorities Ex_Mosquito and ben_shinobi!

No-missing in general has to be bad for blood pressure and/or sanity tbh. Like a lot of good things in life. :wink:

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:09 am 

BIL wrote:
Formidable, you must be on par with the board's longtime AC Shinobi authorities Ex_Mosquito and ben_shinobi!

hail naw. exmosquito actually got the no miss (albeit on normal I believe) and ben shinobi holds the friggin world record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iPyXyHdzMU

absolutely encourage everyone to watch that vid btw, the execution required for that kind of run is insane, I could never do it.
aaaand I guess I'm back on Twitter again: link

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:17 am 

Haha, I did wonder whether I should invoke Mr. Mosquito and ben_sama's names so brashly... :mrgreen: Still, max DIP setting runs are super cool in my book! edit: Maybe it's the PTSD from Metal Slug 3 Level 8 Angry Gold Needles talking. :oops:

Last edited by BIL on Thu May 31, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:55 am 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:

Only just skimmed your video, but it makes me want to give the game another try.

Got the arcade PCB ages ago because the game looked cool, but gave it a scummy 2-player credit feed attempt to see what it had to offer, and the gameplay felt super unbalanced to me, with especially the later stages just coming across like a mess that makes me want to drag out the tired old "created to steal your credits" card. I just dismissed it then and there, and figured that's why no one ever talks about that game
But if a 2-ALL is possible, I guess there might have been something central to the game I've severely misunderstood, or maybe it's just that I didn't know about the dash-cancel you're talking about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:15 pm 

Dash cancelling utterly changes how you can tackle obstacles in Moo Mesa. I wouldn't say the game is perfect and there are some silly elements such as the shmup stages being dull and the swimming UP a waterfall bit being a bit luck based (you get a health item right after though), but honestly I have less trouble with a 2 loop clear of Moo Mesa than I do Gunstar Heroes on expert (1ccing that final stage marathon is really tough).

You also cancel any projectiles during the dash cancel. During the final stage there are several difficult to avoid floor traps that send debris at you that can be trivialized by dash cancelling through it, and a pair of gates that launch fireballs and difficult to avoid bombs. By timing a dash cancel into it every time it attacks, you can block both types of attacks (the bombs will explode harmlessly in midair) allowing you to pump shots into it at point blank range between its attacks.

I think it might be difficult but quite possible to 1cc without ever actively using the dash to dodge (it is required in a couple spots to get rid of obstacles). The boss strategies I use don't require dash cancelling, it just makes it a lot easier, but the final stage is pretty tough... you'd be able to muscle through with extra lives though for at least a first loop clear.

With dash cancelling though, it's probably one of the most fair and reasonable Konami arcade games I have ever played. And that includes the North American version!

Actually, I should have linked to my clear of the North American version. I had better, more refined strategies by then, and it's the more skillful playthrough of the two I uploaded. I get hit several times throughout both loops, but the game is surprisingly fair with full health recovery at the start of each stage and fairly generous mid-stage health items. I actually beat the game with only 1 death on this run, at the end of the second loop (it was my first ever loop 1 deathless clear, too): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RenHMPOtX4Q

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu May 31, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:28 pm 

How many versions are there? I think there's a good chance my PCB is European, but I'd assume it's similar to the American one. I'll check your playthrough for strats, and then give it a try myself. I remember the final boss being completely unfeasable when I didn't know about the dash cancel. Seems like a weird mechanic, but from what you are telling, it's gotta be intentional.

Let's rodeo, boys!

EDIT: Wow, it turns out the final boss doesn't even have a hurtbox? :S I've really been playing this game wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:41 pm 

Jonny2x4 wrote:
I always questioned the idea whether SFC Dracula/Castlevania IV was really meant to be a remake of the first Castlevania when it's filled with so many references to the NES trilogy (not just the first one), the most obvious being Dracula's tombstone at the opening sequence, which is the similar Simon kneels before in the end of CV2.

I'm doubtful of that too. Super Castlevania IV obviously isn't a remake in terms of design. Stages, bosses, they're as different as can be while remaining within the general bounds of classic-vania. Compare the game to Dracula X68k, which actually is a remake.

I've seen fans lump Haunted Castle in the remake category as well, despite "Dracula stole yo woman!" being in no way the story of the original.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:44 pm 

There are four known version codes, but some appear to play identically, so as far as gameplay goes, there appears to be two different versions. I've detailed the differences in the FAQ/Walkthrough:

Four known versions of the arcade game exist, identified on the boot
screen and board markings: AAB, EAB, UAB and UAC. The AAB and EAB
appear to be identical in gameplay as far as I can tell (input replays
synchronize perfectly). Based on naming conventions for other Konami
arcade games, the AAB version presumably is the original Japanese
version of the game, and the EAB is probably the European release. UAB
and UAC are presumably the USA releases. Unlike other Konami
releases, the USA versions aren't too drastically altered, although there
are some silly changes. This guide applies to all versions of the game,
and differences will be noted where applicable. Specifically, these are
the differences to be aware of:

* AAB/EAB start you with 2 extra lives, UAB/UAC start with 1 extra life.
* AAB/EAB have level select enabled, so after the first level you can play
the levels in the order you like. UAB/UAC have a fixed level order.
* AAB/EAB are set to a 2-loop game. After beating the game once, you
play through the game again in a slightly harder second loop. UAB/UAC
loop endlessly and never ends until you game over. The difficulty
appears to max out at the second loop though.

These changes can actually be adjusted under the test menu's options.
You can adjust the lives, level select, and the looping in the UAB/UAC
version to be like the AAB/EAB version.

There are two changes that CANNOT be adjusted under the options
though:

* AAB/EAB allows you to use the joystick to select your character in 4
player, UAB/UAC version forces you to use the character associated with
the joystick slot (1 = Buffalo Bull, 2 = Marshal Moo Montana, etc).
* AAB/EAB have a few less enemies in the first level than the UAB/UAC
version.
* The enemies that crawl on the ground and roll bombs at you can be
hit by simply ducking and shooting in the AAB/EAB versions. In the
AB/UAC versions, your shots will pass over them if you duck and shoot.
To hit them, you need to jump (or be close to them) and fire downwards
at them.

That last change is significant enough to change how you approach
certain segments, but it doesn't change the difficulty of those sections
considerably, so for all intents and purposes, the UAB/UAC version isn't
too much harder to beat on a single credit.

Under the test menu for the game, you can find the dip switch settings
which show you what they do, as well as an option menu for the Game
Options where you can change settings. These are the default settings
for AAB/EAB version and the recommended settings if you're playing the
UAB/UAC version:

Player's Life: 1 credit=3 lives
Stage Selection: Available
Loop Setting: Game over after second round

There's also a Difficulty Level setting in here but I'm honestly not sure
what this adjusts. Enemies may perhaps be a bit more aggressive? But
for the most part I haven't noticed anything significant in terms of
changes when I tried setting it to the hardest setting. The 4/Medium
setting is the default on all versions. The number of players you play
with also doesn't seem to adjust the difficulty/number of enemies.

Sumez wrote:
EDIT: Wow, it turns out the final boss doesn't even have a hurtbox? :S I've really been playing this game wrong.

A lot of the enemies in the game don't have hurtboxes actually (including like all the shmup stage bosses). I agree the final boss is brutal if you don't know what you're doing though, he was the major wall of my runs. Really mobile with tons of health, and even if you dodge or dash cancel around him, he's super aggressive. The staying close to him thing I think I discovered by accident. It's possible to react and dodge his attacks or dash cancel through most of them, but he's very, very difficult if you fight him "normally" (instead of at close range).

There's a second way to do it I saw another player clear the game with, but it is much harder to execute. Basically, you stay on top of a pillar shooting down at him and bait him into using shoryukens, jumping to avoid it. You have to react fast to shoot down any daggers he throws and it seemed mechanically very difficult to do reliably...

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu May 31, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:44 pm 

People discussing Castlevania canon is one of my pet peeves.
It's safe to say no one in Konami really cared. They just wanted to make a few more games about Simon whippin' Dracula's butt. :)

RE: BareKnuckleRoo - thanks for the writeup. I'll need to check which I have next time I have time to spend with my cab.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:19 pm 

Here's the video of that player with the unusual final boss strategies. No idea if savestates were used or not, but it's definitely not how I'd recommend tackling it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj6AUyzEJa8

You could try to muscle through it by simply firing away like crazy and trying to take it down before it kills you, but I don't remember this working well. He's fast enough that if you just try to trade blows he can easily hit you like 6 times by the time you've taken half his health off.

I hope you enjoy the game more when you go back with some new tricks to use! ;) It really is fantastic and I seriously envy you for owning the PCB.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:20 pm 

The strategy looks a lot easier, but I'll take your word for it.
Also, surprised a loop only takes 13 minutes... for some reason I recall the game being absurdly long :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:27 pm 

Each loop takes about 30 minutes to clear. That video there the player only showed off the boss fights in every level, not the actual level themselves.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222 ... 314  Next