Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Jonny2x4

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Jonny2x4 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:I don't know if I would lump Street Fighter II into that category. For one, unlike the other games you mentioned, your opponents in that game aren't fought in an enforced order, with the exception of the four bosses. There's also the fact that you can fight against yourself without the game really bringing attention to it. In other words, there isn't any structure within the game encouraging completion of the single-player mode.
Actually, the CPS1 entries of Street Fighter II does enforce a certain order to the opponents you face. It usually goes Japan (Ryu and E. Honda) -> Brazil (Blanka) -> U.S.A. (Guile and Ken) -> China (Chun-Li) -> U.S.S.R. (Zangief) -> India (Dhalsim). It was only with the CPS2 entries, when they added the four new fighters, that they made it more random.
BIL wrote:Meant to say, glad to see Red Alert mentioned! The JP one's always around for peanuts, but I was distracted the last time I went hunting for NEC softs. Been meaning to kick the tyres on that one.
The JP version is the superior version anyway. It has motherfucking Akira Kamiya as Guy Kazama.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Despatche wrote:As far as Namco, the semi-remakes like Warpman and Battle City are key. I think it's just those actually.
Can't recall Warpman, but played a fair amount of Battle City back in the day -- using the level editor to protect your eagle with stone/iron walls was my go-to thing in this game. :lol:
Despatche wrote:The fighting game genre is funny. Games like Yie Ar Kung Fu and the first Street Fighter were absolutely singleplayer-focused. But Street Fighter II? That was also meant to be a singleplayer game first and foremost, with the multiplayer capability an afterthought. Even the first Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting were heavily built around singleplayer.
Yeah, read it on an interview a while back and was pretty surprised then too. The multiple (and actually different) characters were what really pushed the genre to the MP side. Before that it was Ryu vs Ryu with a recolour and a head swap. :lol:
There's no denying that fighting games are meant for multiplayer, even if not originally so, but I also enjoy their single player mode as well. Beating the Dictator in SFII, Gill in SFIII, Orochi in KoF 97, etc, are very fun challenges to take, that are quite hard to acomplish if you go for the 1CC instead of the usual credit feeding (especially if you jack up the difficulty to the max, which is one of the rare cases where I change arcade games's difficulty settings).
Also important, is that single player remains the only viable way to enjoy many fighting games nowadays since their player base is practically non existent. I know I'll never be that good at a fighting game, and honestly nor do I intend to, but in SP I can at least enjoy these games nonetheless and still get a somewhat decent level of proficiency by getting (or attempting to) a 1CC.
WelshMegalodon wrote:I don't know if I would lump Street Fighter II into that category. For one, unlike the other games you mentioned, your opponents in that game aren't fought in an enforced order, with the exception of the four bosses.
Jonny2x4 is correct, though there are two fixed progressions depending on which button(s) you use to choose your fighter (don't recall which buttons chose which, it's been a while), though there's always a different battle depending on which character you choose. I mostly played Ryu though, so I may be mistaken for the other characters.
BIL wrote:Arc System Works, legend has it? Great pickups both, either way. FC snapcases rule too. Nice bookends for cardboard softs. Image
Yeah, they first ported Rolling Thunder to the FC and then developed Code Name: Viper.
BIL wrote:Meant to say, glad to see Red Alert mentioned! The JP one's always around for peanuts, but I was distracted the last time I went hunting for NEC softs. Been meaning to kick the tyres on that one.
It's well worth playing, at the very least. It really is kinda like Alien Syndrome, but with commandos/soldiers instead of aliens.
There's a fair bit of change, though, as some levels are out in the open, others are inside some complex and are more mazey and tight, and there are even some levels that are set on a straight, horizontal road (moving from left to right) with vehicles assaulting you from the front and back.
BIL wrote:Their presentation is usually topnotch, at the very least - lots of sharp coverart, and I'm impressed but not entirely surprised to hear RA features voice talent as formidable as Akira Kamiya! Even Browning has some rad mecha stomp & explosion SFX straight outta Badass 80s Anime.
Yeah, I believe Telenet (and it's subsidiaries/divisions) were one of the earlier developers to really adopt cutscenes and voice acting, particularly with CD based media.
Last edited by __SKYe on Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I would argue that a Vs. CPU mode still matters even in modern FTGs. Capcom learned the hard way when they launched SFV without an arcade mode. Personally nothing matches the satisfaction I get from seeing Terry Bogard knock Geese Howard out of his building at the end of the first Fatal Fury.
BIL wrote:Apparently Kage has a bad rep on the NES side? Hm. Not that it'd matter to me, but I was surprised.
The bad rep mostly comes from a shitty Seanbaby article from almost 20 years ago where he listed it as one of the top 20 worst NES games alongside Renegade without offering real reasoning other than him being bad at those games. I never understood why I used to find that dye-haired fag hilarious back then
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

They didn't, though. SFV not having an arcade mode meant absolutely nothing, and having one would not have affected its sales whatsoever. SFV didn't do as well as it "should" have because of a weird combination of the market being stuffed (SFIV was basically by itself), the lack of nostalgia pandering to draw in all the casuals like with SFIV (arguably not really possible because SFV isn't by itself), and a really annoying (general) Capcom hate boner that's been building for the past few years (some of which has to do with Mega Man fans getting irate and infecting everything).

The greatest proof is that none of the "controversy" that happened on launch was there when Capcom had revealed basically everything regarding what SFV was about. This isn't just people being assholes, it's also people being ignorant and not keeping up with the game. People simply didn't care that SFV was actually happening, because of the points mentioned above. Everyone still dropped SFIV immediately and SFV is still the main game for a lot of people.

Almost everything about SFV was handled better than almost anything about SFIV. But when people are willing to lie and to deny this, you cannot try to fight them and you just have to keep doing what you know is right. People are liars, people lie all the time and it is never unique or interesting. If people want a given outcome, for whatever reason they would ever want it, they will fudge the facts to get that outcome, even if it means lying to themselves. Honestly, I'm amazed SFV has even done as well as it has, in spite of the endless bullshit against it.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Despatche wrote:They didn't, though. SFV not having an arcade mode meant absolutely nothing, and having one would not have affected its sales whatsoever. SFV didn't do as well as it "should" have because of a weird combination of the market being stuffed (SFIV was basically by itself), the lack of nostalgia pandering to draw in all the casuals like with SFIV (arguably not really possible because SFV isn't by itself), and a really annoying (general) Capcom hate boner that's been building for the past few years (some of which has to do with Mega Man fans getting irate and infecting everything).

The greatest proof is that none of the "controversy" that happened on launch was there when Capcom had revealed basically everything regarding what SFV was about. This isn't just people being assholes, it's also people being ignorant and not keeping up with the game. People simply didn't care that SFV was actually happening, because of the points mentioned above. Everyone still dropped SFIV immediately and SFV is still the main game for a lot of people.

Almost everything about SFV was handled better than almost anything about SFIV. But when people are willing to lie and to deny this, you cannot try to fight them and you just have to keep doing what you know is right. People are liars, people lie all the time and it is never unique or interesting. If people want a given outcome, for whatever reason they would ever want it, they will fudge the facts to get that outcome, even if it means lying to themselves. Honestly, I'm amazed SFV has even done as well as it has, in spite of the endless bullshit against it.
Or maybe sfv launched with huge input delay, poor balance, fairly bland gameplay,the promise of $30 yearly dlc packs and a package that felt unfinished. It also launched at a time where fighting game fans had a ton of other choices of what to play, and sfv didn't really do much to excite people.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I haven't tried Street Fighter V yet to be honest (I don't have a gaming PC and I don't feel like shelling out money for PS+ for online play), but I did read lots of complains about the lack of arcade mode when the game was launched that they tried to remedied with post-launch content. I do agree that some of the complains about Capcom and their handling of the Street Fighter series are a bit unfair.

While I'm not a fan of Digital Eclipse, complaining about the lack of Versus and Training modes in the upcoming Street Fighter collection misses the point of the collection (they're supposed to be accurate to the arcade versions, which lacked those features). However, the lack of JP versions (especially in the Japanese version of the compilation) is unforgivable in this day and age.

I always wondered if the lack of a serious story mode in Virtua Fighter was the reason why the series never took off outside Japan.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Alien Syndrome exemplifies how difficult it is to go from diagonal to neutral on a joystick without hitting some other direction in between.

Anyways I've hit the final boss a couple times, it's just a matter of time at this point. I like this game, but I hesitate to call it great. it's got good creepy atmosphere but the bosses are kind of irritating to fight, tbh.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

__SKYe wrote: Reminds me a bit of the PCE's Red Alert/Last Alert, which is pretty much a standard overhead run n gun...
And, of course, it was developed by the much loved, B-tier developer, Telenet Japan. The main character is voiced by the same person that voiced the original Hokuto No Ken's Kenshiro as well, so you know he means business. :wink:
I spent the extra money on Last Alert, myself, just to cherish that legendary voice acting. Nothing beats this. It helps that the game is good, too. :mrgreen: I'm also surprised at the nice VA pedigree, but PCE CD games are filled with prominent anime seiyuu or otherwise heavy-hitters: Macross 2036 featured original designs by Haruhiko Mikimoto and some seriously top-notch cutscenes.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Jonny2x4 wrote:I always wondered if the lack of a serious story mode in Virtua Fighter was the reason why the series never took off outside Japan.
By "serious story mode", do you mean something that a single player would keep spending credits on, or a thing exclusive to home versions?
It's the first time I seem to even read SFV came about, so you can guess how familiar I am with the lingo.
Further off-topic, the only two this genre games whose home versions I spend some time playing just a bit seriously were: VF4Evo on PS2 (Command Training), then SoulCalibur on DC (Mission Battle, I think). Both allowed me to explore the games all by myself in a way that didn't feel too pointless, so - at the end of the day - Virtua Fighter series, for my money, stands defended in this regard. Found no single-player incentive of the sort in Tatsunoko vs Capcom, sadly.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I was thinking something along the lines of the Tekken series and how the console ports added character-specific CGI endings in their console ports, whereas the original Arcade versions simply gave you a staff roll.

With that said, I'm not too familiar with VF4's command training mode, but I remember really liking the Soul Master mode in the PS1 port of Soul Edge.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

EmperorIng wrote:I spent the extra money on Last Alert, myself, just to cherish that legendary voice acting. Nothing beats this. It helps that the game is good, too. :mrgreen:
Haha, yeah, the US version is also known for its voice acting, but in a different way. :lol:
But yeah, the game itself is good and the cutscenes/VA in this type of games are more like the icing on the cake.
EmperorIng wrote: I'm also surprised at the nice VA pedigree, but PCE CD games are filled with prominent anime seiyuu or otherwise heavy-hitters: Macross 2036 featured original designs by Haruhiko Mikimoto and some seriously top-notch cutscenes.
Yeah, the move to CD media finally granted developers freedom to use ROM space for video cutscenes and voice acting (along with PCM soiundtracks). Mega CD also has its share of cool voiced games, one of my favourites being Snatcher, which has a pretty damn good english VA.
But this was their selling point, since the gameplay itself was essentially the same as their cartridge based counterparts.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BIL wrote:The Acclaim-published NES version "Demon Sword" is very different apparently - both in terms of missing content (NES is smaller ROM - the FC box proudly declares its "3 MEGA POWWA"), and balance (you have a lifebar by default, versus earning hitpoints on FC). To be honest a shorter version of the game sounds good, but I've no idea what they may/may not have screwed up in the localisation process. :mrgreen:
I've always been curious about the differences between the two versions myself, so I just ran through both.

Demon Sword has about half as many stages and they're individually shorter, which I think this works to its advantage. Fudou Myouou Den really starts to wear out its welcome with its myriad, gigantic, copy-pasted stages. If each stage in Fudou Myouou were cut in half I think you'd wind up with a good pace. As is I'm willing to give up some of the game's variety to get things moving along.

The item system is very different between the two versions. Fudou Myouou Den has a huge number of temporary powerups, magic spells, and throwing weapons. Demon Sword features much less of that, though I don't think it hurts it too badly. I didn't mind three redundant invincibility items in Fudou Myouou, but I also don't mind going down to one in Demon Sword. The throwing weapons in FMD were particularly lame, where they were nearly all the same thing, except each weapon is one enemy type's elemental weakness and, with some enemies, the only way to kill them. So you use the lightning orb on the stage where enemies are weak to lightning and the fireball on the stage where they're weak to fire and no interesting decisions are made at any point. Demon Sword replaces all of them with a throwing star that can be permanently powered up by collecting an item. In both games you sometimes run across locked doors that require a key to open. Fudou Myouou Den drops a key every few seconds, far more than you would ever want to use. I ended the game with about 50 of them in my inventory. Demon Sword is far more sensible about it, and drops them infrequently enough to make you care about them, but not so much that there's a need to stop and grind. There are a few items I consider to be worthwhile that were cut, such as the falcon powerup that causes a falcon to appear and temporarily circle overhead, damaging enemies on contract, or the shackle spell that freezes enemies in place for a short while.

Fudou Myouou Den starts the player with a single hit point per life, and has powerup items that give you three additional hit points each. Every attack takes away one hit. Demon Sword's system is bizarre. You start with one square of health, and different attacks inflict different amounts of damage. You can collect red and black orb items to increase your health, and both activate once your health meter empties. Any black orbs are permanently converted into additional squares on your health meter, and your squares are then refilled using your red orbs. One red orb fills one square and you keep any leftover red orbs.

The black orbs seem pretty pointless to me. If I have one square of health and twelve red orbs, I can have my health depleted and then refilled twelve times. If I have six squares and twelve orbs, I can have my health depleted and refilled twice, but it will refill six times as much. Isn't this the same amount of health either way? It might even be better to avoid black orbs, so that enemies who inflict more than one square's worth of damage can still only cost you one red orb.

Fudou Myouou Den is definitely the more difficult of the two versions. Enemies respawn more aggressively, are far more trigger-happy with projectiles, and in general, getting hits costs you worse. Getting a health pickup can feel like a big relief, and stopping to grind for health can easily end up costing you rather than helping. In Demon Sword you're rarely in any real danger and it doesn't take long before the red orbs start to feel redundant. The bosses are the only real threat, with the later ones taking huge chunks out of your life bar with each hit.

Rather than one version being a straight improvement over the other, I think they just have different merits. Demon Sword is good as a brisk, mostly casual game. The more relaxed difficulty lets you get away with making huge, flying leaps across the stages, which is fun. Fudou Myouou Den is far more arcade-like and oppressive, along the lines of Kage and Saigo no Nindo, though I'd say it's the weakest of the three.

Anyway, talking about both versions, the strongest aspect is the way the main character controls. The super high wuxia jumps are very liberating, soaring above the stage feels great. There should have been a level or two thrown in where jumping as high and far as you can is advantageous, because at best doing that means you won't get any powerups, and often it'll land you in a spike pit or something similar. The sword attack is nice and quick and makes a satisfying "kling!" sound, and I like the way that it goes from a tiny knife to a great big sword over the course of the game. I definitely prefer something like a bigger hitbox over a damage increase because the former changes how you approach your problems.

Bosses are kinda lame, mostly I either found a way to stunlock them to death or I plinked away with ranged attacks. The biggest flaw in the game is how beneficial grinding can be. It'd be much better if you started each stage with a set amount of health and enemies didn't drop more.
Last edited by Vanguard on Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Something similar happened with the SMS port of Data East's Captain Silver. The U.S. version for some reason, came in a smaller ROM size and thus, lacks two stages, several enemy types and the ending is text only. It feels almost like an EASYTYPE revision of the game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vanguard wrote:I've always been curious about the differences between the two versions myself, so I just ran through both.
Superb detailed reportage, much appreciated! :smile:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Jonny2x4 wrote: I never understood why I used to find that dye-haired fag hilarious back then
Say what you will, but Seanbaby is a pretty excellent and entertaining writer (and not as immature as resorting to using the word "fag" as an insult)
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

You're right, "fag" is an offensive word and I tend to avoid such vulgarities, but if you been to Seanbaby's old website, he uses it like every other page, to the point that he even used himself as a mascot for a fictional gay bashing site called Fagwatch that he made up for an article.

Anyway, I did used to find him funny back when I was a teen like I said, but looking back at his page nowadays is like watching a bad episode of Family Guy - most of his content is just tryhard 70s/80's nostalgia references (REMEMBER HOSTESS FRUIT PIES. THEY WERE A THING.). I also think he lost his edge when he sold out to Cracked.com and every one of his blog posts practically became "stop liking what I don't like". His GTA5 article, where he complained the torture scene was when I officially realized that he's just pandering to the easily-offended busybodies that is Cracked.com's readership. At least he didn't completely fall from grace in the same way that Maddox did.

Also, he never completed that Top 100 Funniest Films of all time he was co-writing with a bunch of other people.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Sean Baby is a colorful character (I always enjoy the story about Uwe Boll beating the shit out of Lowtax, but declining to box Sean Baby when took one look at the guy), but his humor has aged very poorly. I can see why the zany style appealed to me in adolescence, at least.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

BIL wrote: That art style on Meijin (and its many sequels!) looks familiar, wonder if it's the same illustrator who did Shadows of the Tusk (Saturn)? Jebus I need to tear myself off my crummy PC already.
I forgot to answer this in the previous post, but it's Susumu Matsushita. He's actually a well-renowned illustrator in Japan, best known for his work doing Famitsu covers.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks. :smile: I stopped short of getting a name, but I figured it must be the same artist after seeing Tusk was Hudson-published.

FC Takahashi 1 was a long-term want of mine for a couple reasons. ala FC Star Force, it's an interesting case of Hudson delivering an authentically tough licensed port, then leveraging it into their own iconic console series. I've put off getting into the later FC, PCE and SFC Meijins until now, didn't feel right not having the original as a reference point.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Boukenjima II and III, as well as Shin Boukenjima on PCE and Dai Boukenjima on SFC, all stick pretty close to the original Wonder Boy formula. Dai Boukenjima II on the other hand is more like a Monster World game, while Boukenjima IV was also free-roaming. The Game Boy versions were ports of II and III.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent, thanks for the quick overview! That simplifies things a lot.

It's Daiboukenjima I've been most interested in trying out, for almost entirely sentimental reasons. Was one of the marquee titles in an EGM pre-release SFC special, along with Castlevania IV and ActRaiser. Good ol' blurry CRT photographs that still look great today, haha. Even now I enjoy a slight air of unobtainability with first-gen SFC stuff.

Gave ambiguously spook-themed action/platformer Youkai Club (FC/1987) by perennial mid-tiers Jaleco a go last night (I think it was developed by TOSE?). I've been aware of it for a while... the neat Castlevania-esque sprite dimensions keep me coming back (dig the rad bloody-scythed reaper on the title screen), but good lord - the first stage's cavern is punishingly bland, both aesthetically and mechanically. Utterly nondescript pea-shooting, totally without resistance. Will render hardcore vets comatose with indifference. Bread sammich.

This was the first time I've held out to stage 2, a forest which mercifully grants some sense of artistic and tactical design. Why wasn't this stage 1? >_< There's a neat abandoned village a bit further in, and unhappily another shitty cavern. None of it is particularly noteworthy, aside from one thing which is basically why I'm writing all this - the overland BGM is a real gem, short but catchy and driven. I wonder if it's been arranged/remixed by anyone over the years - would surely sound killer in dual-lead NWOBHM style, with just a little fleshing out.

>Stage 2 BGM
>Rocking VRC6 arrange of another song

Eh... it goes for cheap, and its scant but persistent CV resemblances interest me slightly, but I get the feeling there isn't much here. Actually, aw jeez, I've just realised what it's reminding me of: Dark Night Prelude/CV Legends on the GB. That ain't good! Image

The sheer vacuousness actually drove me to revisit 8 Eyes, whose first impressions have the exact opposite problem - besieged and outranged from the word go, learning on the job with tools of dubious utility. Still not willing to give the designers the benefit of the doubt, but I kinda like tangling with this game now and then.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

8 Eyes gets a lot easier once you realize you're supposed to use the bird for everything and that it wants you to hunt every fucking tile to find power-ups. Then, it just becomes an awful grind.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: It's Daiboukenjima I've been most interested in trying out, for almost entirely sentimental reasons. Was one of the marquee titles in an EGM pre-release SFC special, along with Castlevania IV and ActRaiser. Good ol' blurry CRT photographs that still look great today, haha. Even now I enjoy a slight air of unobtainability with first-gen SFC stuff.
Great Adventure Island? Don't get the habit of companies changing "Great" to "Super" when games come to the US. Been awhile since I have played "Super" Adventure Island, but I did enjoy the more arcadey feel of the game compared to others in the series.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Obscura wrote:8 Eyes gets a lot easier once you realize you're supposed to use the bird for everything and that it wants you to hunt every fucking tile to find power-ups.
Yeah, I got a brief spark of inspiration when I noticed how neatly birdie solves the base sword's lack of range, vs the common grunt. Nip 'em with birdie and take their remaining 1HP with a deft stab. Shame the execution wasn't tighter... jamming on [up+B] to recall him for repeat strikes isn't too bad, but I'd have had him function more like a shadowing Bit ala Shatterhand/Solbrain's droids (which likewise can and will die if you're reckless with them).

I like stabbing through the crossbow guys' arrows too, and lots of other small things. Inevitably something puts me off though. Last night it was the inexplicably sword-proof turban guys, that seemingly require birding? Wouldn't surprise me if I missed something, or if a subweapon could take 'em out. Weird unfriendly game. Which beats a total non-entity ala Youkai Club at least.
Then, it just becomes an awful grind.
:lol:
BrianC wrote:Great Adventure Island? Don't get the habit of companies changing "Great" to "Super" when games come to the US. Been awhile since I have played "Super" Adventure Island, but I did enjoy the more arcadey feel of the game compared to others in the series.
Or in Super Castlevania IV's case, outright stapling it on. Image The JP version's Akumajou Dracula is so understatedly cool - and functional! Canonically it's a remake, after all. Not even cheekily riffing on variants of "Super" ala fellow heavy hitters Choumakaimura and Daiboukenjima.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I always questioned the idea whether SFC Dracula/Castlevania IV was really meant to be a remake of the first Castlevania when it's filled with so many references to the NES trilogy (not just the first one), the most obvious being Dracula's tombstone at the opening sequence, which is the similar Simon kneels before in the end of CV2.
BIL

Post by BIL »

There's an interesting thought... and actually, that'd be a pretty cool way to end Simon's tenure. Escaping certain death in CVII comes at a cost! However, Simon has none of that emo survivor's guilt bullshit. Time to bust out the metal hotpants, kick down doors and let muhfuckas know what time it is. And this time, use the disinfecting power of sunlight to vanquish the fiend rightly.

Does the JP intro text hint at anything? I always heard it basically restated CV1's story, suggesting this is indeed Simon's first rodeo. I'd assumed the EN text's "once again, Simon" was Konami USA's usual reductive bollocks (as with Contra III's sneaky historical revisionism). Konami USA, where the past is unpredictable! :lol:
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

IIRC, the only time Super Castlevania IV was ever established as a sequel to the NES trilogy was in the English version of the opening, since even the U.S. manual made the game seemed like a remake of Castlevania I.

Konami's localizations were pretty inconsistent back then, even within themselves, as if the boxes and manuals were localized by completely different people from the in-game translation.

You probably already know about the NES Metal Gear, where they changed the story in the manual so that the Outer Heaven boss is some random bloke named Vermon CaTaffy, even though you still fight your CO at the end, but even in games such as The Lone Ranger, which was made specifically for the U.S. without a Famicom releases, still had inconsistencies too: the manual describes Dan and John Reid as father and son, but they're actually brothers (even in the game itself).

Bayou Billy also underwent extensive changes during the localization, renaming every enemy character to give them more supervillain-sounding names, but heroine's full name is still completely different between the game (Annabelle Lane) and manual (Annabelle Bon Vivant). In Mad City, she was アナベル・ルーナ (Annabelle Luna).

Anyway, this Japanese blogger seems to believe in the idea that SFC Dracula is a sequel to Dracula II.
http://www.retrogameraiders.com/archives/9009561.html
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

PSA, just released on PC---Bloodstained: Cursed of the Moon. The new retro, Igarishi-sanctioned yet certified non-Metroidvania, unofficial CV III sequel!

Wish I had time to play/review. Higher difficulty settings available and may be mandatory for this crowd.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

dojo_b wrote:PSA, just released on PC---Bloodstained: Cursed of the Moon. The new retro, Igarishi-sanctioned yet certified non-Metroidvania, unofficial CV III sequel!

Wish I had time to play/review. Higher difficulty settings available and may be mandatory for this crowd.
Cross postin' muh thoughts:

Squire Grooktook wrote:Played through on normal.

It's pretty solid. The level design is definitely more involved than Gunvolt, which was my worst fear. Nice well balanced layouts with solid enemy variety and placement.

That being said, it's way too static. Not enough rng, and many of the bosses rely too much on memo gimmicks that are barely telegraphed. For that reason alone it comes nowhere near Bloodlines or Akumajo Dracula x68.

Still, it's solid. Not a bad addition to the Classicvania line up at all.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

BIL wrote:I like stabbing through the crossbow guys' arrows too, and lots of other small things. Inevitably something puts me off though. Last night it was the inexplicably sword-proof turban guys, that seemingly require birding? Wouldn't surprise me if I missed something, or if a subweapon could take 'em out. Weird unfriendly game. Which beats a total non-entity ala Youkai Club at least.
Yeah, there's several enemies that are only vulnerable to the falcon. The kickboxers in the Spain stage are another example that comes to mind.