Console --> Arcade monitor adapter (AVAILABLE, see 1st post)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
antron

Re: Console --> Arcade monitor adapter (AVAILABLE, see 1st p

Post by antron »

^ that pot is for monitors that cannot auto adjust to the proper input level, like yours is doing as you turn it.

Use the monitor's own brightness adjustment.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

antron wrote:^ that pot is for monitors that cannot auto adjust to the proper input level, like yours is doing as you turn it.

Use the monitor's own brightness adjustment.
I have the same monitor in my E2, and for me the pot is needed on the adapter, so that sounds mysterious.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
antron

Post by antron »

I didn't see any monitor models posted, but I assume you have confirmed they are identical (neither are replacements).

monouchi, if you turn it to an extreme position, do you lose picture? You should once it is out of your monitors range.

This will confirm the pot is working.
Asure

Post by Asure »

japtor wrote:I got mine from this seller/listing on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Official-Ge ... 0803857022

I have some weird pixel line or two of black and white stuff along the top but I'm guessing just bad luck on my part, and if not, it hasn't really bothered me since I have it cropped behind the bezel. I've had the adapter for a while and totally forgot about that thing until now.
That line (and several others) are normally hidden in the 'overscan' area of CRT's sold for consumer use i.e. television sets, and you did the right thing in using hsize to adjust it outside the viewable area :)
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

antron wrote:I didn't see any monitor models posted, but I assume you have confirmed they are identical (neither are replacements).

monouchi, if you turn it to an extreme position, do you lose picture? You should once it is out of your monitors range.

This will confirm the pot is working.
Will try this. :)
antron

Post by antron »

Tim, would this adapter handle medium resolutions OK?

For xbox360 I'm currently passing an extron through it, but I'm getting a ultracade uvc.

Edit: the answer via email is no:
The UVC is designed to connect directly between a PC (or another VGA source) and an arcade monitor. It's not compatible with my adapter
aoiddr

Post by aoiddr »

I got my Scart2Jamma last week and it works great. I'm having a problem with my the Stereo Audio coming out of my Xbox (original). When I run the audio from the output of the Scart2Jamma to my receiver, the volume is so incredibly low that I have to turn the volume all the way up and I can still barely hear it. Mono from the Jamma edge works fine, just not the Stereo output. What do I need to add to my set-up to get listenable audio?
japtor

Post by japtor »

Asure wrote:
japtor wrote:I got mine from this seller/listing on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Official-Ge ... 0803857022

I have some weird pixel line or two of black and white stuff along the top but I'm guessing just bad luck on my part, and if not, it hasn't really bothered me since I have it cropped behind the bezel. I've had the adapter for a while and totally forgot about that thing until now.
That line (and several others) are normally hidden in the 'overscan' area of CRT's sold for consumer use i.e. television sets, and you did the right thing in using hsize to adjust it outside the viewable area :)
Guess I forgot to reply, but from some back and forth emails iirc it wasn't supposed to have that. I forget but it might've had that without any input whatsoever, or at least he mentioned not hearing about it from others or seeing it himself. But whatever, again easy enough to crop out and forget about (...slight annoyance with SDOJ cause it draws fine at 100% to all the edges, so if I looked for it I notice the one edge being a little off).
aoiddr wrote:I got my Scart2Jamma last week and it works great. I'm having a problem with my the Stereo Audio coming out of my Xbox (original). When I run the audio from the output of the Scart2Jamma to my receiver, the volume is so incredibly low that I have to turn the volume all the way up and I can still barely hear it. Mono from the Jamma edge works fine, just not the Stereo output. What do I need to add to my set-up to get listenable audio?
Wild guess off the top of my head since I haven't messed with mine since installing, but perhaps the adapter is outputting headphone level while your receiver is expecting line level (for that input at least). The JAMMA edge outputs line level iirc, which would explain that one working fine.

Look for an aux input (or something meant for MP3 players/phones/etc), or see if there's setting for input level. Alternatively it could be something super basic like making sure the audio cables are fully seated, or try another cable. Otherwise there's probably headphone to line level adapters if it comes down to that.
aoiddr

Post by aoiddr »

japtor wrote:Look for an aux input (or something meant for MP3 players/phones/etc), or see if there's setting for input level. Alternatively it could be something super basic like making sure the audio cables are fully seated, or try another cable. Otherwise there's probably headphone to line level adapters if it comes down to that.
Yes, it turned out that the stereo to rca cable I had was bad, so I've gone ahead and replaced it. Sound works like it should. Thanks!
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Are there any neat all-in-one solutions for routing your cabs controls into a console or are people pretty much just forced to rely on ugly padhacks?
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

kamiboy wrote:Are there any neat all-in-one solutions for routing your cabs controls into a console or are people pretty much just forced to rely on ugly padhacks?
Padhack or a multiconsole pcb (depending on what system(s) your running in the cab) are the way to go. You can mount them in a an enclosure if you want something pretty. I just stick mine in a tupperware container.
niall

Post by niall »

kamiboy wrote:Are there any neat all-in-one solutions for routing your cabs controls into a console or are people pretty much just forced to rely on ugly padhacks?
MC Cthulhu http://godlikecontrols.com is pretty good, covers most of the older consoles but it does have some quirks like you can't hot-swap controllers on the AV Famicom (can crash), it doesn't seem to properly support multitaps (SFC and PCE) etc. plus it's limited to 8 wire controllers so no Amiga, C64, MegaDrive etc.

I've rack-mounted all of my consoles next to an Extron Crosspoint RGB switch, and have all of the controller ports terminating on a 24 port cat5 patch panel :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

so uh, i bought this back in 2014, and have been happily using it with my ps2 and new astro city since

i picked up a microsoft advanced scart cable recently and tried to connect my xbox 360 (ntsc/us), but the picture on the dashboard (and everywhere else for that matter) is very green
Spoiler
very few of the 360's display settings are available, and the ones that are don't help (apsect ratio and black levels)

i've tried playing with the contrast and volume pots to no avail

i've also tried using a second and third, bootleg scart cables, but they all gave me the same result; a distorted, heavily green-tinted picture.

ps2 still works fine and dandy

anyone have any idea what's wrong?
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

check to make sure the 360 is outputting RGB instead of Component video.
antron

Post by antron »

rugdoctor wrote:check to make sure the 360 is outputting RGB instead of Component video.
That is set by the cable itself. but but screenshot says scart, so I don't think this is the problem anyway.
Skub

Post by Skub »

i feel like i've seen some screenshots where instead of SCART it says SCART-60; does anyone know is this has any significance and/or is a PAL-only thing?
antron

Post by antron »

Sounds like a pal 50 vs 60hz thing. And either should work.
Blair

Post by Blair »

antron wrote:
rugdoctor wrote:check to make sure the 360 is outputting RGB instead of Component video.
That is set by the cable itself. but but screenshot says scart, so I don't think this is the problem anyway.
picture looks like it's not syncing and it might be outputting component (YUV) video instead of RGB (a green tint usually happens when an RGB monitor is fed YUV with no color conversion). (that might also explain why it's getting no sync signal) I remember a youtube video with somebody else having the same problem with this adapter (I think they fixed it, but I don't remember how).

scart can output component (YUV) video, I use component via scart all the time on my pvm's and the OSSC.
mheyman

Post by mheyman »

I recently picked up an arcade monitor and was trying to figure out a way to hook up my raspberry pi to it via rgb. I know I can get the Pi to output rgb but would this work?

The links on the first post don't seem to work for me, I wanted to check out some instructions.

Thanks!
donluca

Post by donluca »

http://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewto ... 14&t=54733

This is the thing you're looking for. Get in the queue and good luck! :P
mheyman

Post by mheyman »

donluca wrote:http://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewto ... 14&t=54733

This is the thing you're looking for. Get in the queue and good luck! :P
Is there a significant difference between that and this:

http://arcadeforge.net/Pi2Jamma/Pi2Jamm ... 8695bf2635
ave

Post by ave »

Any chance these are still being sold? I have contacted viletim via email a few days ago.
THE ETERNAL
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I think both version 1 & version 2 of Tim's Scart to Jamma adapters have been discontinued for a while now. Your best bet to place a "Wanted to Buy" post for a Tim's Scart to Jamma adapter and see what comes your way, ave. They are truly worth their weight in gold (due to their awesome ability to use any gaming console that can output in either Euro Scart or Japanese 21-pin RGB formats). With the version 2 S2J adapter, you'd have to use a JPN 21-pin RGB to Euro Scart adapter cable setup as it doesn't have a dedicated JPN 21-pin RGB input (like the version 1 S2J adapter does).

If such a Scart to Jamma device had been available back in the early-to-mid 1990s, that would've been ace to hook up a modern-day gaming console to a full-sized arcade game cabinet.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
viletim

Post by viletim »

ave wrote:Any chance these are still being sold? I have contacted viletim via email a few days ago.
As PC Engine Fan X said, discontinued.

I have been working on the next version recently, but it's not ready for production yet.
donluca

Post by donluca »

viletim wrote:As PC Engine Fan X said, discontinued.

I have been working on the next version recently, but it's not ready for production yet.
Nice!

I'm tired of tinkering with various amplifier chips, sync tip clamps, DC restoration circuits and resistive pots to get a good image out of all the consoles I have.

I'll just wait for the next revision.
ave

Post by ave »

I guess I'll search for one in the marketplace for now, thank you! @viletim, if you make another production run I would be 100% down for one or two right away (regardless if I already own one).

I used to have an MGCD PS2 adapter and it didn't work well at all with my cab, controls were all messed up and sound way too loud. I do currently run a Saturn->Jamma adapter which is custom made by an unknown person and works 100% perfectly. If the viletim quality comes close to this my happiness would be through the roof.
THE ETERNAL
P.H.U.

Post by P.H.U. »

I reached out to Tim to see if this was still available. He mentioned they are discontinued but that he is working on a new version. He provided me details on the new version along with permission to share on another forum's thread. I am sharing this info here since it is the most relevant thread on the product on a forum for which I am a member. I reposted the image to my Google drive since original links allowed for access to some parts of his website where some things he might not want to be shared can be seen.

Would be selfish for me to sit on this info. Especially since viletim is so gracious. See for yourself.........
Spoiler
I tried to join the forum you linked to but was unsuccessful. I received no account activation email. Here's some more info about my project, you can post it in the thread if you like.

I released the SCART To JAMMA Adapter V2 in 2010. The A/V part was good, but I wasn't happy with the way the controller interface worked. I think it cost the equivalent of US$100 when it was released, but the price dropped a bit over time due to the changing exchange rates and inflation. It's been unavailable for about two years now.

I started working on its replacement in early 2014 when the Cypress PSOC 4 microcontroller came out. It seemed perfect for a controller interface due to its programmable logic on chip. It makes implementing the strange old controller protocols possible. I wanted to make a little controller pod that would talk to the game console (both players). It would also be connected to a high speed serial coms line that would update the status of all the joysticks/buttons from the JAMMA harness. Progress was slow because I had lots of other projects of higher priority. It also got horrendously complex, more time, more features.

I've been working on over the last couple of months, full attention. To make the complexity manageable I cut the project in half. One board handles the audio/video, the other handles the controls. They work independently or together. The A/V board is just like the old Adapter V2 board with more features. Instead of just one input there's now four. Instead of just RGB it now accepts composite video (good comb filter), s-video, component video, and RGB. Automatic input switching. The audio amp is in stereo now, and even more powerful.

The controller interface board sits on top as a daughter board. It has the JAMMA edge because most of the pins on the harness are for controls. The big microcontroller on this board sends the JAMMA controls state over the the serial coms bus to the pod doing protocol encoding. The controls are fully programmable (any JAMMA/kick harness input can be mapped to any controller function). The user interface is audio based like an automatic telephone system.

Here is a photo of a prototype controller interface board + pod.

Here is a picture of the AV board from the CAD software.

The design is complete, but I haven't built one yet. I put some labels on it so you know what you're looking at. The plan in to to have the AV board available by early next year. The interface board will take longer, there's lots of software to write, lots of testing to do.