gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kez

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Kez »

FriendofSonic wrote:
Kez wrote: Ahh okay thanks, that's composite video - the pin is connected directly to the composite video RCA. Actually when I first did the mod I was using that but I had a lot of interference. At the time I thought csync would help but it turns out that I changed the wrong caps when I did the jailbar fix on my CoreGrafx, so I suspect the sync amp isn't necessary after all! Still it's working now and the picture is insanely good so I am gonna just leave it be.
Hoping I don't get the same interference as you, Mik didn't so I'll give it a shot
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was a power issue caused by me messing with capacitors I shouldn't have. If you do the jailbar fix, make sure you use the console5 guide as I found an old picture buried somewhere here and copying that seemed to cause all my problems. Anyway, I'll stop derailing the thread now!
LaC

Post by LaC »

superg wrote:
FriendofSonic wrote:The modder who sold me the bord (mickcris) had an IFU wired exactly as me (composite wired directly on the expansion bus) He changed it to the correct spot on the Mobo and he now gets a picture on gscartsw Lite. So his board meets spec in order to send the correct signal, we just both followed an ill advised guide and didn't grab composite from the right spot. I doubt there's a lot of people doing IFU RGB mods, but just in case anyone followed the same guide for their IFU, that will resolve the issue if you're using mickcris' board.
Perfect, glad that it has been sorted out!

Why does it matter how the mod was done for sync?
If the PVM picks up the sync then your switcher should. Sounds like you need to fix this and not expect people to mod their consoles in a specific way.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

I just want to make sure I understand something because I think I'm a bit confused.

Are people just tagging the CVBS pin on the expansion bus as a sync source and expecting it to work across the board??

That composite video output isn't complete. There's going to be a large DC bias on there as it isn't even AC coupled. It's not surprising that digital equipment wouldn't agree with that.

Also, if you're driving C-Sync directly from the pin on the expansion bus, that isn't ideal, either. It's an open collector and you can sink a bunch of current from the thing depending on what it terminates to.

If you're going to sync on composite video through the IFU, pull it from the CVBS RCA jack where it's ready for a 75Ω source termination. Otherwise, AC couple the output with a capacitor off of that pin and terminate it like it's supposed to be. Don't just connect it to the pin and say "well it works on other things so it should work with everythang".
Kez

Post by Kez »

Unfortunately, when I first started researching this online almost every guide uses the csync pin straight from the expansion connector (this was the first one I came across, for example). The only reason I decided to look further was retrorgb's tg-16 page.
FriendofSonic

Post by FriendofSonic »

Kez wrote:Unfortunately, when I first started researching this online almost every guide uses the csync pin straight from the expansion connector (this was the first one I came across, for example). The only reason I decided to look further was retrorgb's tg-16 page.
There's another guide floating around advising that you grab sync like this too.

Voultar, I really don't think anyone was opening trying to be openly moronic or anything by following what these two guides said, 95% of end users of RGB don't understand the technicalities of it, or just understand the base of it. We're just end users who follow the existing guides because that's all there is to follow. I wasn't pooling drool at my chest as I did my RGB mod on my IFU, I just followed a guide that had been posted a few times in different message board threads and never questioned it because I received the expected result at the time of doing the mod.

At any rate, the suggestion solution also worked for me last night.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

FriendofSonic wrote:
Kez wrote:Unfortunately, when I first started researching this online almost every guide uses the csync pin straight from the expansion connector (this was the first one I came across, for example). The only reason I decided to look further was retrorgb's tg-16 page.
There's another guide floating around advising that you grab sync like this too.

Voultar, I really don't think anyone was opening trying to be openly moronic or anything by following what these two guides said, 95% of end users of RGB don't understand the technicalities of it, or just understand the base of it. We're just end users who follow the existing guides because that's all there is to follow. I wasn't pooling drool at my chest as I did my RGB mod on my IFU, I just followed a guide that had been posted a few times in different message board threads and never questioned it because I received the expected result at the time of doing the mod.

At any rate, the suggestion solution also worked for me last night.
My response wasn't to you, it was to the guy who said that if it works with one device then it should work with everything without any problems.
LaC wrote:

Why does it matter how the mod was done for sync?
If the PVM picks up the sync then your switcher should. Sounds like you need to fix this and not expect people to mod their consoles in a specific way.
No.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I agree. It is not the responsibility of people making hardware, especially on a small scale, to support random off-spec mods. It is completely unworkable as you are talking about basically infinite variation. It is the responsibility of people doing mods to ensure that the results are on-spec. Doing otherwise is just bad practice and should not be condoned. Obviously is it not always people's fault, there is a lot of bad or simply old information around. Hopefully retrorgb or someone else will eventually get something off the ground that becomes a central hub for this sort of stuff.
herbscottie

Post by herbscottie »

Any update on timeline for the gcomp?

Thanks
superg

Post by superg »

herbscottie wrote:Any update on timeline for the gcomp?

Thanks
It's close, I should get some information from my manufacturer next week.
Will post an update.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Great!
Rumbleminze

Post by Rumbleminze »

Hey I couldn't quite tell, does the "sold out" mean that all of the incoming gscartsw_lites are already reserved? or do sales start when you get the next batch in?
superg

Post by superg »

Rumbleminze wrote:Hey I couldn't quite tell, does the "sold out" mean that all of the incoming gscartsw_lites are already reserved? or do sales start when you get the next batch in?
No, there is no any reservation at this point. Once I get more units you will be able to purchase one.
hex12

Post by hex12 »

Next week update about timeline is only for gcompsw or also for gscartsw_lite availability?

Thank you for your answer.
superg

Post by superg »

hex12 wrote:Next week update about timeline is only for gcompsw or also for gscartsw_lite availability?

Thank you for your answer.
Both lite and gcompsw.
superg

Post by superg »

The PCB's are manufactured. The connectors I've ordered from another supplier aren't there yet, they are waiting before they can start the assembly.
Basscross64

Post by Basscross64 »

Hey. I'm hoping to get some confirmation as I keep getting inconsistent answers from others.

I got my GSCARTsw_Lite in recently and all of my cables from my consoles have 470 ohm resistors on the sync lines. Will my output cable from the GSCART also require a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line or do I want to use TTL? I'm buying from Retrogamingcables.co.uk if that helps.

Thank you for your time and your help.
superg

Post by superg »

Basscross64 wrote:Hey. I'm hoping to get some confirmation as I keep getting inconsistent answers from others.

I got my GSCARTsw_Lite in recently and all of my cables from my consoles have 470 ohm resistors on the sync lines. Will my output cable from the GSCART also require a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line or do I want to use TTL? I'm buying from Retrogamingcables.co.uk if that helps.

Thank you for your time and your help.
Your output gscartsw cable has to be straight SCART-to-SCART male cable with no components inside.
Basscross64

Post by Basscross64 »

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
chromium

Post by chromium »

Finally hooked my gscartsw_lite up on the weekend. Working nicely on everything I tried so far.

There was a slight intermittent picture wobble on Saturn though, then I'd unplug the scart cable from the gscartsw_lite and plug it back in and the wobble would stop, for a while.

I ended up turning off the sync regeneration and it has been fine ever since
parski

Post by parski »

chromium wrote:There was a slight intermittent picture wobble on Saturn though, then I'd unplug the scart cable from the gscartsw_lite and plug it back in and the wobble would stop, for a while.

I ended up turning off the sync regeneration and it has been fine ever since
I had the same problem and resorted to the same fix. Works like a charm!
hex12

Post by hex12 »

SuperG, do you think that you will be able to put on sale the new batch of GScartSW_Lite before Christmas (let's say between mid december and Christmas day)?
Regards
superg

Post by superg »

hex12 wrote:SuperG, do you think that you will be able to put on sale the new batch of GScartSW_Lite before Christmas (let's say between mid december and Christmas day)?
Regards
That's what I'm trying to do!
Manufacturer should've gotten the connectors, I will be contacting them today to have some estimates. I hope they will ship in a week.
hex12

Post by hex12 »

Thanks, let us know what they will tell you.
superg

Post by superg »

So, long story short, manufacturer needs up to 10 business days to finish everything. They got the connectors but PCB's aren't yet assembled and they are backed up with orders.
Unfortunately I won't be able to deliver anything before holidays but I might start shipping right after Christmas.
chromium

Post by chromium »

superg wrote:So, long story short, manufacturer needs up to 10 business days to finish everything. They got the connectors but PCB's aren't yet assembled and they are backed up with orders.
Unfortunately I won't be able to deliver anything before holidays but I might start shipping right after Christmas.
This is for gcompsw as well?
superg

Post by superg »

chromium wrote:
superg wrote:So, long story short, manufacturer needs up to 10 business days to finish everything. They got the connectors but PCB's aren't yet assembled and they are backed up with orders.
This is for gcompsw as well?
Yes.
hex12

Post by hex12 »

That means orders will be opened after Christmas or you will open before and ship after?
I ask because i wished to know more or less if i must monitor the site to place order before Christmas or if also ordering is put off after Christmas.
Thanks
superg

Post by superg »

hex12 wrote:That means orders will be opened after Christmas or you will open before and ship after?
I ask because i wished to know more or less if i must monitor the site to place order before Christmas or if also ordering is put off after Christmas.
Thanks
That depends on when I'll get the units here, I'll announce it once they ship.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

superg wrote:
hex12 wrote:That means orders will be opened after Christmas or you will open before and ship after?
Thanks
That depends on when I'll get the units here, I'll announce it once they ship.
Not that I have a direct interest. But being a person that gets anxious a lot and recognizing that people get pretty busy the last half of December. It would seem prudent to announce that sales won’t start until at least January 2nd just to help people chillax with family.
superg

Post by superg »

DirkSwizzler wrote: Not that I have a direct interest. But being a person that gets anxious a lot and recognizing that people get pretty busy the last half of December. It would seem prudent to announce that sales won’t start until at least January 2nd just to help people chillax with family.
It might be the case but I still have some hope that they will deliver earlier. We will see.