Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Sumez »

kitten wrote: Majuu Ou - Hard Mode - No Miss Clear - No Fairy Lost - Good Ending

yeaaa! i talked about this in the linked post up above, and another post on the previous page. fun game. my play is mostly on point, here, though there's a few mistakes or hairy bits. in particular, i am saved by the skin of my teeth on the bridge about halfway through the game when i take a hit and very luckily get boosted up exactly enough to land on the next platform, which has yet to collapse. that bridge is seriously the most nerve-wracking part of a nomiss for this game.
I love that you're eating the faeries even when you don't need them.
What exactly are the differences in hard mode? From your video I didn't notice any at all, but it has been a while since I played the game, I'll admit. Are you just taking additional damage?
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Thanks guys & girls, it is a fun game, and I still plan to go back to it (and SOR2) to play with the other characters. :wink:
dunpeal2064 wrote:I need to nail the 1CC in that one, its probably my favorite SOR game.
If you can clear SOR2, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with SOR3 (JP version, of course). I had much more trouble clearing SOR 2 than this one.
kitten wrote:i will, however, be playing co-op of at least bare knuckle II with my friend while he visits at the start of next month. he's a fellow blaze player! i tend to favor axel, though i should probably try and get a handle on max, since i prefer characters like ninja in TNWA by a very heavy margin.
I've never actually played a proper run with either Max or Skate (dabbled with them a bit, but never seriously), but I think both Axel and Blaze are the most balanced characters, though I always prefer Blaze both because of her faster speed (than Axel) and because she's awesome. :lol:
She has comparable power to Axel in SOR2 as well, since Max is now the powerhorse.
kitten wrote:we'll probably be recording & uploading a 1cc, and i'm looking forward to gleaning tips off of him. he's 1cc'd hard, and i think it will be a very fun experience.
Looking forward to it. :wink:
kitten wrote:bad news, however! mighty final fight got delayed in being shipped to the proxy service and i won't be getting it in this next shipment :( had 11 full days to get there and was being shipped in the same damn city from a reputable seller - no idea what happened, there! plenty of other beat 'em up fun on the way, though, and i suspect to do a few co-op recordings while he's down here, and maybe even a couple after with my bff. she's not quite up to my level (relatively amateur beat 'em up player that i am), but is definitely competent enough to keep up without completely soaking the credit pool.
Haha, no worries though, it should help to build up the excitement. :lol:
Will you be getting FF2 soon, or did it also get delayed?

-----

Watched the Trip World video and yeah, that's pretty much how expected that game to be played.
A good part of it's charm comes from strolling around and actually interact with the denizens of the game's world. Otherwise you'll just end up running to the finish on an already short game.

Learned a few things as well. I don't think I have ever defeated the parasol wielding enemy (that drops a health item, and later an extend), or at least not second one, and I also didn't know about the secret entrance on the waterfall.
But most importantly, I didn't know about the stacked transformations at all (or at least they seemed to happen by picking up two powerups in a row?) -- both the one that makes your character gain legs, and the one where he becomes huge and invincible.

Against the last boss, that's what I also did when I got the 1CC, but I had the wrong idea that it was because he didn't fire his shot if you were close to him. I remember kicking him, and then jumping to avoid his leg sweep, and that's probably where that wrong impression came from. Nice to see that he will do nothing if you stand on his head. :lol:

It's a bit of a shame that the sprites will disappear occasionally during the water segments, due to Youtube/encoding.

By the way, the SGB animated borders are awesome, especially the Trax one, which is really cool, and reminds me of a clear/transparent GB pocket.

-----

I'll hold off a bit on watching the Majuu Ou and Maerchen Maze vids, since I've yet to fully beat them, though I intend to watch them for sure.

Also, was surprised that Maerchen Maze for the PCE no longer has the faux-3D/isometric view of the arcade.
kitten

Post by kitten »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Enjoyed the Majuu Ou run as well Kitten, and have become rather fond of the game recently. I was going to watch your Trip World run, but I read your write-up beforehand, and it made me want to experience the game fresh before seeing anything on it. Sounds like a lovely game!
trip world owns and i will forever advocate it. it'll be good, fresh!
Oh, and TNWA get! Sadly just before work, but should have plenty of time this weekend to dig into it.
i'm sure bil will be happy he made another convert :O that game is a GOAT, for sure. i couldn't believe how quickly i warmed up to it. recently got my pal to buy a copy and he instantly fell in love with it, too. he's in a similar position where SoR2 is his favorite, and i'm curious if it will also topple, for him. i still love SoR2, but TNWA became my genre fav in a surprisingly quick amount of time. still haven't gone back for the hard mode 1cc, my best is still what i last mentioned on here, months ago - had to continue once on stage 3, i think, then had smooth sailing the rest of the way. i've 1cc'd normal plenty (w/ each character), though, and tend to prefer it for now.

i don't know how to describe it, but i have trouble sitting down to play this one - it injects so much energy into you that anything less of a devoted session feels like you're cheating yourself. definitely something to played in good moods and when you have the time and not a game you'd want to give a half-assed play. i'm sure it wouldn't be much trouble for me to get the hard mode 1cc at this point, but i'm probably going to be savoring my returns to this one, long-term. nothing i'm in a terrible hurry to do. i don't think i'll ever get over my ninja addiction, though. kamaitachi is a little bit too flexible & easy a character and doesn't feel as fun as either of the other two, and kunoichi sadly lacks the throat-gripping, spine-shattering propensity of ninja. bil's takes on this game are pretty much entirely spot-on.
Sumez wrote:I love that you're eating the faeries even when you don't need them.
What exactly are the differences in hard mode? From your video I didn't notice any at all, but it has been a while since I played the game, I'll admit. Are you just taking additional damage?
ahmmmm hongry!!! Image

i think there's one instance where i eat one for i-frames, but yeah, i chomp everything up, regardless. would be poor manners to let good fairy meat go to waste!!! i was commenting on this play in a discord channel while some people were watching, and they called me a monster! what, am i supposed to let them decompose, instead? thas' just disrespectful.

i detail some of the hard mode differences in the video description and i think on the previous page. in normal, you get two additional fairies throughout the game, which act as full health restores + smart bombs if you haven't lost your current one. if you don't remember, the fairy will die in your place if you suffer a death via hp loss (they stay if you die via pits), and is meant to be either a gift from or the spirit of your deceased wife from the beginning. they appear in the train stage and the molten stage, both times where you'd be likely to need one. in addition to that, many enemies get slightly different attacks or mild behavioral changes, particularly projectile enemies.

the shotgun lady in the first stage fires a larger burst of rounds, the plants in the second stage now fire a spread of three bullets instead of one, the turrets in the train stage now fire a longer and more spread out burst, etc. in addition to that, i believe each of them (the turrets for sure, at least) all fire much more quickly, too. this makes one of the turrets in the train stage a particular pain, as if you jump a gap without remember he's there, you'll get shot straight into a gap between carts and die instantly. on normal, i believe you get time to jump the gap and then over his bullets, which i think you either can't pull off or is super tricky to pull off on hard. there's a gap in gun-dec on its train that is a lot like this, and one i remember ending a couple of my runs in frustration. maybe that one doesn't knock you into a pit, i don't remember. you can see me inching toward the mentioned turret with serious cowardice in the video! i used to just jump down to the lower level to take care of him, but noticed it's a bit faster & safer to just inch forward to the edge of the cart, as he'll spawn right on the edge of it.

there are other changes to enemies that are subtle and would likely require a decent bit of attention to properly document. i believe some other enemies attack & fire more quickly, including a few bosses or sub-bosses. the bridge in the ice stage also becomes significantly more difficult, and i'm not 100% sure if that's because they added enemies or if they just move faster, but i believe it's the latter. i never had a problem with it on normal, but it's surprisingly easy to bite it on hard mode. something is changed there. all these differences don't add up to a hell of a lot of increased difficulty, tbh, but they adequately complement a nomiss because of adding a few spots that can outright kill you on top of really adding to the endurance aspect of the game (no health recharging to full after bosses!) by having more things that will get in quick shots. i wish there were a way to mildly power up the default form, as doing a nomiss with that might be interesting (1cc ain't too hard), but it starts to do such little damage that it's real aggravating... gonna give myself carpal tunnel mashing the goddamn fire button that much.

the last stage, in general, is a bit tedious with anything other than the good ending's true demon form, and playing the game as just one of any of the other forms deprives it of an interesting variety. i'd like to advocate it as more replayable because of the forms, but i experimented and found i just enjoyed my routine, more. dragon form is particularly fun in the stage i use it in, but not much, elsewhere, imho. it's the the best playground for its charge attack, which deals the most damage at a medium-close range (too close and you whiff a bunch of frames, same for too far). really satisfying to kill the little mid-bosses near the beginning in just two hits like i did. likewise, the kamen rider form is a little too sticky in other stages, and i feel like that third form (mutant rambo?) is kinda mediocre and i just like to get it out of the way in the easiest stage. could be using that downward strike for more than just avoiding the flying millipede thingy in my play, probably, but it feels a bit wimpy to bother with.
__SKYe wrote:If you can clear SOR2, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with SOR3 (JP version, of course). I had much more trouble clearing SOR 2 than this one.
i compared your lives stock in both and figured. i haven't played bare knuckle 3 in any form other than SoR3 on the virtual console ages ago, and i remember feeling jarringly repelled by it. it's been a long time coming i play the jp version and do a cleanse. it killed a lot of my enthusiasm to further explore the genre for a very long time, and it's not really been until this year i started playing quite a few, in earnest. i believe you'll see that reflected in my posts when i joined here that i was unusually cold to the genre.
kitten wrote:I've never actually played a proper run with either Max or Skate (dabbled with them a bit, but never seriously), but I think both Axel and Blaze are the most balanced characters, though I always prefer Blaze both because of her faster speed (than Axel) and because she's awesome. :lol:
She has comparable power to Axel in SOR2 as well, since Max is now the powerhorse.
the power "horse?" ;P that's a good typo. yeah, nobody seems to ever play skate! i bet he's fun when you get the hang of 'em, but i just don't want to play as a kid or a fast-but-weak character in games like these.
Haha, no worries though, it should help to build up the excitement. :lol:
Will you be getting FF2 soon, or did it also get delayed?
everything else is comin' in on time, no need to worry. got some fun stuff in there that will probably show up in the thread here, sooner or later, even if i drop posting for a while and just upload a video. the firemen, hagane (i got a complete copy, omg that box by the zeiram/kamen rider guy is soooo cool i had to have it), ankoku densetsu, and gekisha boy are some of the big highlights.
Watched the Trip World video and yeah, that's pretty much how expected that game to be played.
A good part of it's charm comes from strolling around and actually interact with the denizens of the game's world. Otherwise you'll just end up running to the finish on an already short game.
the game is very much of a pleasant stroll, but there's quite a bit to wring if it is your first time, and quite a few different things you can do to keep replays from getting dull. there's a secret, alternate route that contains a unique friend that makes the last stage much easier that i didn't take, and there's also a secret hidden in stage 4 i mentioned in my post to welshmegalodon.
But most importantly, I didn't know about the stacked transformations at all (or at least they seemed to happen by picking up two powerups in a row?) -- both the one that makes your character gain legs, and the one where he becomes huge and invincible.
the small form is actually one of these combinations - try going through the 2nd stage slowly enough that your first fruit will wear off, you won't turn small from the one behind the tree, anymore. there's at least one other opportunity in the game to get the small form in the final stage. you can get the weirdo long-leg form in the final stage, too, and it's possible through adept play to reach the final boss rush with him. not sure if you can get a shot off in time, but i've gotten into the room, once. i usually don't go for that form anymore, but yea.
It's a bit of a shame that the sprites will disappear occasionally during the water segments, due to Youtube/encoding.

By the way, the SGB animated borders are awesome, especially the Trax one, which is really cool, and reminds me of a clear/transparent GB pocket.
yeah, it's due to losing FPS during encoding :[ i'm not the only upload that suffers from this. not sure how i'd fix it! my capture technology is good enough for the raw file to have it, at least. i actually don't lose muuuuuch picture quality in encoding, but the frames being lost bites, and i'm pretty sure if i didn't cut frames, youtube would still reduce it to 30fps because it's not an HD video. i'd like to upgrade my capture equipment, but it would be very expensive to get stuff better enough for it to be significant. despite the bumps in the road getting it together cost (in frustration, mostly), i'm happy to finally have some method of capturing runs that doesn't force me to play on something other than a CRT.
I'll hold off a bit on watching the Majuu Ou and Maerchen Maze vids, since I've yet to fully beat them, though I intend to watch them for sure.

Also, was surprised that Maerchen Maze for the PCE no longer has the faux-3D/isometric view of the arcade.
gotcha! :) did you check out the makyo densetsu run, by chance? that one is really fun, i think.

the marchen maze changes honestly seem to make it a bit more of a robust game, i think. haven't played the arcade version, but it's pretty brief and features some repetitive elements, as well as not really fleshed out stages passed the halfway point. i've seen some posit that it wasn't quite finished. pce game doesn't sport the visual luster, but frankly seems to be a more robust endeavor. i have a pastebin located in the description of the video with some tips if you're struggling, including 1up locations, which will help learn the game faster. there's a 1up i pick up in the ice world that i think only spawns when going through it a particular way because of sprite overload or a really weird trigger.

edit: this last paragraph somehow had a bit of previous paragraph merged with it :O i fixed that. not sure how that happened, probably somewhere in the copy of pasting stuff. fixed, now!
Last edited by kitten on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

kitten wrote:i compared your lives stock in both and figured. i haven't played bare knuckle 3 in any form other than SoR3 on the virtual console ages ago, and i remember feeling jarringly repelled by it. it's been a long time coming i play the jp version and do a cleanse. it killed a lot of my enthusiasm to further explore the genre for a very long time, and it's not really been until this year i started playing quite a few, in earnest. i believe you'll see that reflected in my posts when i joined here that i was unusually cold to the genre.
That's just for starters. In BK3 I lost maybe 2 lives in the last stage (boss included), while in BK2, I reached the last stage with 7 in stock and lost every single one of them, and got the 1CC on the last one. And I have a lot more playtime in BK2 than in BK3, so I believe that anyone who has cleared BK2 can most definitely clear BK3 as well without much trouble (given a little practice, of course).

Overall both games have pretty comparable difficulty as far as the levels and standard enemies go, but when you factor the bosses in, then BK2 is quite a bit tougher.
I think BK2 starts with the easier bosses, but gets pretty tough as the game goes on (culminating in a tough boss rush), while BK3 has the harder initial bosses, but they have a shallower difficulty curve, perhaps with the exception of the jetpack guy, which is somewhat harder than the rest.

With all this talk of the US version, I'm actually curious as to how far I can reach in it, so I think I'll give it a try as well.
kitten wrote:the power "horse?" ;P that's a good typo. yeah, nobody seems to ever play skate! i bet he's fun when you get the hang of 'em, but i just don't want to play as a kid or a fast-but-weak character in games like these.
Oh shucks, I was thinking of something else. :oops:
Skate can be more fun if you're looking for a challenge since he's weaker, but he's not exactly the type of character I would go to. He's also the only character that can dash in SOR2.
I do intend to play with him at some point, and actually really enjoy when different characters are more than just different sprites, and actually make the game easier/harder in some way.
kitten wrote:the game is very much of a pleasant stroll, but there's quite a bit to wring if it is your first time, and quite a few different things you can do to keep replays from getting dull. there's a secret, alternate route that contains a unique friend that makes the last stage much easier that i didn't take, and there's also a secret hidden in stage 4 i mentioned in my post to welshmegalodon.
Yeah, and one of the fun things that happens on a first playthrough, is figuring out which enemies are hostile and which aren't. Since the very start, the game shows you that enemies are/can be docile, so as you play on there's this factor of carefully approaching new enemies (also based on their appearance) to see if they are also docile or not -- case in point, the parasol enemy, which you encounter on World 1. You'll quickly find out that he isn't docile like every enemy you've encountered before him, which further makes you consider whether the next enemies will also be hostile or not.

Also really cute, is the way there are several enemies that will gleefully approach and follow you, while others will simply move away as you approach (like the flowers on Worls 3 or 4).
Another nice moment, is the hardhat-wearing enemy that appears right before the robot, which will run and push you away as you get close. You could think of him as yet another enemy like the ones that appear before, or as someone who is warning the player character (can't recall its name) that there is danger ahead (since there is a hostile robot ahead).
The game is full of these little details (which may or may not be as the developer intended, and I'm just imagining stuff :lol: ) which are lost if the player just runs through the game with the "clear it" idea in mind (which, to be honest, is the one I started playing with). Hopefully new players will take some time to enjoy the sights, since a big part of the game's charm is doing precisely that.
kitten wrote:yeah, it's due to losing FPS during encoding :[ i'm not the only upload that suffers from this. not sure how i'd fix it! my capture technology is good enough for the raw file to have it, at least. i actually don't lose muuuuuch picture quality in encoding, but the frames being lost bites, and i'm pretty sure if i didn't cut frames, youtube would still reduce it to 30fps because it's not an HD video. i'd like to upgrade my capture equipment, but it would be very expensive to get stuff better enough for it to be significant. despite the bumps in the road getting it together cost (in frustration, mostly), i'm happy to finally have some method of capturing runs that doesn't force me to play on something other than a CRT.
Don't worry about it, it's not that big of a deal, and if the viewer is someone who has already played the game, then it's very apparent what you're doing. The video's quality is pretty nice too, so no worries there.
kitten wrote:gotcha! :) did you check out the makyo densetsu run, by chance? that one is really fun, i think.
Not yet, another one I want to play a bit more before watching. Rest assured I will watch it. :wink:
kitten wrote:the marchen maze changes honestly seem to make it a bit more of a robust game, i think.
True, that's exactly what I thought when I played the PCE version.
Though the arcade isometric view looks nicer, I thought the PCE's topdown view made it the easier version to approach.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Whoa, lots of excellent posts over the last few pages! I'm too bushed to give the thread my usual attention right now but imma enjoy catching up over the weekend. Great reportage on BKIII as expected, Skye. :smile:
kitten wrote:i'm sure bil will be happy he made another convert :O that game is a GOAT, for sure. i couldn't believe how quickly i warmed up to it. recently got my pal to buy a copy and he instantly fell in love with it, too.
Good, good. Preach! Image
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Little Ralph is cheap on Playstation Network for several platforms, but seems it's only for sale to Asian markets (so I learn after the soul-eroding registration process). I don't even ask language support, just take my money!

I notice TNWA's lack of z-axis movement; I'm quite wary of that feature, it always struck me as kludgy and graceless in beat-em-ups, except for the obvious goal of creating mad mob scenes. The shuffling, oafish gait of baddies moving along said axis---for me it always visually defined the ill-repute of the whole genre, something I want to like but can't.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

The Z-Axis exists to allow you to dodge via side-steps. It also allows crowd control to become deeper and more strategic.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, it's why I consider sidescrolling brawlers like TNWA and Crude Buster their own thing, rather than simply modified beltscrollers. Technos's signature Imminent Pincer Beatdown dynamic needs that Z-axis for the menacing chase to play out. TNWA meanwhile leverages the inherent stricture of 2D to exceptional effect with its brutal zoning games. Very different beasts, as much as Kunio-kun is to Spartan X.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Squire Grooktook wrote:It also allows crowd control to become deeper and more strategic.
If anything it's the opposite. In a single plane you more or less have to engage every enemy on the screen at once, so target prioritization is more important. Escape isn't as easy, so gaining/losing space and how aggressively/defensively you play are more important. In a beltscroller you just go up and down to isolate the guys you want. They have to make the screen far more crowded to achieve the same level of urgency.
Squire Grooktook

Vanguard wrote:In a single plane you more or less have to engage every enemy on the screen at once
It's a double edged sword though. With more than one plane, you can't engage every enemy in your hitbox trajectory at once. You have more room to escape, but you also have to manage threats from above and below.

Both are valid design decisions with unique trade offs.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Got the 1-credit clear of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R with Minako. There isn't any kind of special ending for finishing the game without continues, but I do have my ranking for Stage 4:
Spoiler
While Minako's Jump + Down + Attack will hit rolling Heavy Shades, it won't ever knock them down and doesn't appear to combo nicely, which makes this approach only circumstantially feasible. I found the move much more useful against spinning Avogadoras, which are tall enough for it to (kinda sorta) function as a combo starter.

The jumping Heavy Shades in Stage 4 are actually more manageable than other variants as they can be hit by punches mid-jump.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Squire Grooktook wrote:It's a double edged sword though. With more than one plane, you can't engage every enemy in your hitbox trajectory at once. You have more room to escape, but you also have to manage threats from above and below.

Both are valid design decisions with unique trade offs.
Both approaches can and have been used to make good games, but to say that beltscrollers are more tactical is wrong and I'm confident the opposite is true.

These games are fundamentally defensive. You won't win if you constantly trade hits or put yourself into situations where the enemy could land a hit if they respond correctly. This is unlike, say, a fighting game where offense and defense are more balanced and those tactics could pay off. Because defense is king in brawlers, they lose out on a lot of tactical potential unless they do something to force the player into riskier, more aggressive play. This is exactly what surrounding the player with no escape does, and the opposite of what giving the player free vertical escapes does.

A single plane is better at footsies because you can't move vertically to bypass any enemy's range advantage. Single planes vastly increase the urgency of taking out high priority targets because you can't just shuffle away when they get you into trouble. Single planes are better suited to situations where one enemy shields another because you can't just go around. Dodging is more nuanced in single planes - shuffling up and down is about the simplest and safest dodge conceivable. Even the most basic single plane dodge move, jumping over a projectile, is comparatively fraught with complexity and consequence.

All of that massively outweighs having a harder time bunching enemies together to hit them all at once, or the fact that an enemy can move into your plane and hit you while you're in your recovery frames (and these are significant, don't get me wrong).

I think it's similar to the way Platinum brawlers sacrifice a lot of depth because they let you cancel pretty much anything into an instant invincible dodge. By providing excessively powerful defensive options, the player has to put less thought into both offense and defense.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Single plane ones can be just as good as belt-scrollers.

But I don't think single plane ones are better...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I'm not saying one is better, I'm saying that single planes have inherent advantages over beltscrollers in terms of tactical play. This doesn't mean every single-plane brawler is more tactical than every beltscroller. As with every genre, enemy, player, and level designs are the most important parts of what makes games good/bad/strategic/technical/etc.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Got the 1-credit clear of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R with Minako. There isn't any kind of special ending for finishing the game without continues, but I do have my ranking for Stage 4:
Congrats man, that was a hard earned one. :wink:
Damn, I still have to get it myself -- I think the best I got was a 2CC, but eventually got sidetracked with other stuff and never quite got back into it.
Vanguard wrote:As with every genre, enemy, player, and level designs are the most important parts of what makes games good/bad/strategic/technical/etc.
This, though level design in beat-em-ups tends to be less important than enemy types (and the specific groups of them that the game throws at you), and the player character's moveset.
Vanguard wrote:All of that massively outweighs having a harder time bunching enemies together to hit them all at once, or the fact that an enemy can move into your plane and hit you while you're in your recovery frames (and these are significant, don't get me wrong).
On a bit of a side note, it's worth noting that beat-em-ups (with depth) can get away with giving enemies the bigger range, so that they'll always hit you first if you try to fight them in their plane, since you can use the Z-axis to approach them instead. In a single plane brawler, this might just come off as a dick move, forcing you to either jump attack incoming enemies, or use some other tactic to beat them (like block and then attack, etc) -- which is fine for the more uncommon and tough enemies (like mid-bosses, bosses, etc) but I guess would make for a bit of a boring game if you had to do it against every common mook in a genre where they come at you relentlessly and in big numbers.
Vanguard wrote:I think it's similar to the way Platinum brawlers sacrifice a lot of depth because they let you cancel pretty much anything into an instant invincible dodge. By providing excessively powerful defensive options, the player has to put less thought into both offense and defense.
I believe classic beat-em-ups employ this quite nicely, by allowing to use characters' special attacks to get away from a tight spot at the cost of some health, so you can't just spam them.
In fact, I'd say BKIII does this even better (if one assumes a 3 button pad) by allowing a single special attack to be free (by allowing the special bar get full) but punishes you extra harshly when you use it without a full bar (this is not true in the US version, because the damage you take by using a special without the bar is much lower).
Squire Grooktook

Vanguard wrote:I'm not saying one is better, I'm saying that single planes have inherent advantages over beltscrollers in terms of tactical play.
I strongly disagree*, rather I think that it's a trade off where one element becomes more tactically complex while the other becomes tactically simpler. It is similar to your Platinum analogy: while the instant cancellability does make one specific aspect of combat simpler, it also allows both players and enemies to (theoretically, at least) utilize other complex options that would be completely off the table in something with stricter timings.

*We could go into this furher, but I'm strapped for time with school and game development and I can't really argue in depth. Needless to say, the nuances of a z-axis vs single plane are vast and complex (I would go so far as to say that it is almost like comparing a side scroller to a true stg) and there's much more to it than what is mentioned above.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Has a list of good single-plane beat'em-ups been created already? I think I mentioned it somewhere before, but I prefer that style and would like to try more of them out.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

Other than The Ninja Warriors Again (SFC), which is astonishingly good and should be played immediately (just keep in mind Kamaitachi is the EZMODE character), it seems like an underpopulated genre. The only ones with similar brawling cred (developed grappling and combo mechanics) I can think up offhand are Crude Buster (arcade, with an excellent MD port) and Mad Stalker (X68k, PCE-CD and PS1 - I've only played the last, seems a bit broken and OTT, but endearingly so).

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse (SFC) lacks grapples, but has the beefy combos and smooth controls you'd expect of mid-90s Capcom. Good synthesis of platforming and brawling; highly recommended. Its sequel Marvel Superheroes: War Of The Gems seems to really fall down on level design, I was turned off quick and haven't been back.

Everything else I can recall (I'm sure there's some I'm unaware of) falls into the Spartan X school of sidescrolling melee action. Other than Spartan, its direct sequel Vigilante, and the well-known Altered Beast, Splatterhouse and The Ninja Warriors, I'd suggest Taito's Thunder Fox (AC - avoid the horribly, unrecognisably sluggish MD port, go for Taito Memories II Gekan on PS2 instead). Seamless hybrid of Rolling Thunder gunplay and unrestrained crowd slaughter. It's nuts!

ENGAGE HANDBRAKE UPON EXITING VEHICLE
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I strongly disagree*, rather I think that it's a trade off where one element becomes more tactically complex while the other becomes tactically simpler. It is similar to your Platinum analogy: while the instant cancellability does make one specific aspect of combat simpler, it also allows both players and enemies to (theoretically, at least) utilize other complex options that would be completely off the table in something with stricter timings.
agreed
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Bil has a great list - I'd add Bad Dudes and maybe Sly Spy?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah yes! Totally forgot about DECO's other titles. Man, what a great company... they seemed to really have a thing for two of my favourite genres, sidescrolling asswhoopin' and uber-manly topdown shooting.

edit: holy jebus, the arcade Bad Dudes charge punch SFX still satisfies like nothing else. BAM, right in the kisser!
kitten

Post by kitten »

__SKYe wrote:Overall both games have pretty comparable difficulty as far as the levels and standard enemies go, but when you factor the bosses in, then BK2 is quite a bit tougher.
I think BK2 starts with the easier bosses, but gets pretty tough as the game goes on (culminating in a tough boss rush), while BK3 has the harder initial bosses, but they have a shallower difficulty curve, perhaps with the exception of the jetpack guy, which is somewhat harder than the rest.
i have never fully grasped how you're actually supposed to fight jet. my BK2 sessions are far enough apart that i often forget very large portions of how to play it in-between, and have never gotten truly good at it. i belted out a 1cc on my last attempt, which i think was my first play in a year or so, but it was with just one life left and with the character i always tend to favor. BK2 is easily one of my favorite games, but despite its depth and complexity, i've never really applied myself in a meaningful way like i do with a lot of my other favs. perhaps this is because of its slightly exaggerated length and incredible presentation making it a bit hard for me to want to consider consecutive playthroughs? playing with my pal who is visiting is probably going to be revealing a lot, to me!
Yeah, and one of the fun things that happens on a first playthrough, is figuring out which enemies are hostile and which aren't. Since the very start, the game shows you that enemies are/can be docile, so as you play on there's this factor of carefully approaching new enemies (also based on their appearance) to see if they are also docile or not -- case in point, the parasol enemy, which you encounter on World 1. You'll quickly find out that he isn't docile like every enemy you've encountered before him, which further makes you consider whether the next enemies will also be hostile or not.
the parasol enemy is actually in all 5 worlds - he's just quite hidden in a couple of them. his appearances in levels 3, 4, and 5 drop the game's only 1up flowers. each fight with him has unique geography and he can take more or less hits depending on which you find.

i feel like some enemies that can harm you aren't necessarily "hostile." there's some that attack back only when attacked, and some that seem to just appear to be going about their business that might hurt you by indifference (those little floor/ceiling stretchy dudes before the clam in stage 3, for example. they always seemed like they didn't even acknowledge you being there).

i would love to see a game like super metroid where large portions of the local wildlife didn't want you dead. many people talk about how neat the moments with the etecoons and dachara are, why not have more of that? most enemies in super metroid aren't really dangerous, anyway, because of the low damage that they deal, i think it would be more interesting to have many encounters with non-threatening life that uniquely reacts to your presence. i was really hoping for rain world to be a bit more like this, but it's just a trashy, open-world survival game that happens to somehow be in 2D.
The game is full of these little details (which may or may not be as the developer intended, and I'm just imagining stuff :lol: ) which are lost if the player just runs through the game with the "clear it" idea in mind (which, to be honest, is the one I started playing with). Hopefully new players will take some time to enjoy the sights, since a big part of the game's charm is doing precisely that.
i would definitely say that most of the potential interactions that can be wrought out of the game's enemies were intended. take for example how complex the movement is on that little badger guy just before the stage 3 boss: as long as you keep up with him, he will keep walking ahead of you, and then turning back to make sure you're still following him if he hits the edge of the screen. if you go too slowly, he gets overexcited and heads back toward your direction, bumping into you and accidentally making you have to tread more ground. this is one of my favorite thematic bits of the game, because both him and that cow in the same area have incredibly complex routines for enemies that cannot even hurt you and aren't trying to impede you (but might b/c of their overexcitement). the scene plays out perfectly if you just hold forward and then time a jump over the cow (who won't bump you while tailing you from the left, but will excitedly bump you from the right and then cause the badger to also do the same), and it really feels like they're encouraging you along your journey and leading you to the boss.

it wasn't until many years later that other (mostly indie) games tried doing similar things, and i feel they often hamfist the hell out of it by adding lots of dialogue/exposition or forcing you to make cruel decisions and then chastising you for just playing the game the only way they allowed you. trip world is shockingly non-patronizing and concise for a game like this, and i think it's why it's often misunderstood - there's nothing TELLING the player to play it peacefully and enjoy the little interactions, there's just a lot suggesting it. i feel like gamers and collectors are kind of stupid people, and it's not surprising there are numerous amount of bad takes on this game that call it half-baked, incomplete, or missing the mark on its execution. i think it's fine to consider the game dull or boring (though i'd disagree), but to say it's not what it wanted to be or that the designers didn't have a vision that they accomplished is completely stupid.
Not yet, another one I want to play a bit more before watching. Rest assured I will watch it. :wink:
i'm happy with the speed & accuracy i go through that one (makyo densetsu) with. i don't think i've really seen this game discussed anywhere but in youtube videos by nostalgic tg16 nerds calling it the system's staple action game, and that kind of upsets me! it's actually quite good and has this memorably offbeat presentation to it. i often rubberneck youtube top X lists done by collector bozos for the combination "eugh god this is what popular opinion is?" and "maybe i'll actually hear about something new" factors. none of these people actually seem to have genuine enthusiasm for action and always just shove one or two in-between their precious RPG's and adventure titles they usually play once and are totally done with, so i'd long considered makyo densetsu something like the castle of illusion of the pc engine - that one game everyone talks up that's only merely decent-ish, but overexposed enough that it won't get challenged by the group-think consensus.

it's actually really tight! Image

- = - = - = - = - = -= - = -= - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
BIL wrote:Other than The Ninja Warriors Again (SFC), which is astonishingly good and should be played immediately (just keep in mind Kamaitachi is the EZMODE character), it seems like an underpopulated genre. The only ones with similar brawling cred (developed grappling and combo mechanics) I can think up offhand are Crude Buster (arcade, with an excellent MD port) and Mad Stalker (X68k, PCE-CD and PS1 - I've only played the last, seems a bit broken and OTT, but endearingly so).
speaking of mad stalker, i was trying to burn a copy of sapphire and try it on my pce last night. i have the arcade card duo, so i could, but i wasted two discs, neither of which would play it. i thought my arcade card might be bad, so i decided to give mad stalker a spin, which i'd picked up a while ago but not dug into because my last shipment of pce stuff came when i was both in a really bad situation and awfully depressed. ended up playing through it twice, on both normal and hard (with the red and yellow mechs, respectively). it's... ehhhhhh. not a lot of depth, and i found that spamming the hell out of dash attacks was way too viable. some bosses, depending on the character you're playing, will literally just sit there and block them indefinitely, dying eventually from chip damage.

i ended up using all 3 reserve credits on both runs in almost identical ways. the stage 5 boss is a piece of shit (identical looks & moveset to the yellow slave gear you can choose) and seems to randomly counter your attacks by grappling you and doing massive damage - perhaps there's a way to consistently avoid that, but i couldn't find one, and he was quite aggressive aside from that. you'd think distance would prevent it from happening, but he seemed to be able to do it from surprisingly far away, too. in both runs, i had to continue twice on him, and then burn the last continue on his refight during the boss rush in the next stage.

anyway, the pce version is the only one that seems to have maybe not been done entirely by fill-in cafe, and there's a credited second developer. i'm curious how different it is! the fm towns and x68k version seem nearly identical, but i believe the ps1 game is a remake and the most likely to be mechanically competent.

- - - -

as far as other single-plane beat 'em ups that actually got some beat 'em mechanics go -

Panzer Bandit is, like mad stalker, developed by fill-in cafe (edit: i should probably mention: they're most famous for the asuka 120% games). i believe it runs on the same engine as the ps1 remake of mad stalker, but is supposed to be more mechanically advanced. i'm told the stages are dull, but the boss fights are exciting (and i believe they're recruitable, too - i wasn't interested in this until i was told there was a playable catgirl, please forgive me). its not in too crazy a price range and i've been wanting to pick it up for a little while since being told about it. my friend might be bringing it down for me to give a brief try to while he's here.

Battle Zeque-Den is developed by asmik and quite frankly looks like the kind of dogshit you'd expect from them (did they do ANYTHING good???). friend recently picked this one up and seemed to affirm that as being the case. maybe worth bringing up just for the general kind of rarity of this slightly specific genre? it has cool-looking sprite art, i guess.

Gear Senshi Dendoh is a ps1 title by natsume that is mostly a single plane beat 'em up, but turns into a straight-up 3d fighting game for the bosses. again, haven't played it, but this one appears to be dirt fucking cheap on yahoo auctions and is probably pretty neat. if y'all buy this and raise the price before my next shipment i will hold it against you forever though, okay? >:[

Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds is a surprisingly good download title released just a few years ago. i believe it is a fighting game spin-off, and it actually plays on two planes rather than just one, but i think still qualifies for what we're talking about. it's a bit breezy, but don't let the leveling system and numbers popping out of enemies distract you, the game is still pretty tight and not bloated with RPG stuff.

Kirby Super Star may seem like an utterly ridiculous suggestion given its genre leanings, but i'm going to go ahead and jam it in here. it has surprisingly diverse movesets given its incredible range of abilities, and plays a bit like a co-op brawler (it's not hard to see how sakurai went to smash bros, after this) complete with grabs, dash attacks, and sometimes special moves. if you've got a pal, this is quite frankly one of the most enjoyable 2-player games i've ever had the pleasure to play, and is easily one of my favorite games, period. try playing with a friend who isn't used to games, as you can indefinitely revive the 2nd player. needless to say, this is super breezy, but the presentation is utterly top notch and the general controls and refined feedback are superb. a joy for any enthusiast of 2d toybox play, and a game i bring up knowing many are likely familiar with it, but may have passed over for whatever reason. no other kirby game is quite as snappy as it, though the recent games by the new director have been closer to its design.

Renny Blaster is a pc engine cd title with an incredibly robust presentation (numerous cutscenes and i think even some dialogue choices and stage branching, maybe?) and castlevania-esque visuals (along with a story about vampires or something). it features a relatively diverse moveset, but isn't quite as tight as i'd have liked it to be and is more recommended for its other factors. only played this one for a brief time before deciding it's something i'd like to eventually pick up. it's really expensive, but might be an odd treat years down the line. this one might possibly more belong in the below group, i can't remember if it has things like grabs & combos or not and its moveset is perhaps too awkward to be more beat 'em up-esque.

there's also double dragon 2, which is sometimes just a single plane and a very fine game. still looking for the famicom copy (refer to bil's older posts for interesting version differences). it doesn't get a bold and capitalized title because i'm not sure how much it really counts given the inclusion of belt-scrolling at half or more of the game's parts.
Everything else I can recall (I'm sure there's some I'm unaware of) falls into the Spartan X school of sidescrolling melee action. Other than Spartan, its direct sequel Vigilante, and the well-known Altered Beast, Splatterhouse and The Ninja Warriors, I'd suggest Taito's Thunder Fox (AC - avoid the horribly, unrecognisably sluggish MD port, go for Taito Memories II Gekan on PS2 instead). Seamless hybrid of Rolling Thunder gunplay and unrestrained crowd slaughter. It's nuts!
a few more i've found interesting enough to either enjoy or look into getting -

Melfand Stories for the sfc looks to be of a pretty decent quality, and is quite cute, to boot! Image

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (and MMPR: The Movie) for SNES are both games i will go to bat for (they have light platforming elements, but play a bit more like the above mentioned games by BIL than a typical action game). the first of the two is completely restricted to a single plane and very breezy, but a good bit of fun with quality natsume production values and generally tight controls. the movie game lets you switch between two planes, ala shinobi, and is the bit more developed and rounded of the two. i feel like these often get overlooked because of their license and not being up to par with natsume's best, but they're really far from deserving to be overlooked given natsume's very high bar during this generation. also worth looking into is the fighting game, which feels like it has some pretty beat 'em up inspired snappiness and general mechanical design.

Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti is a splatterhouse spin-off that seems to be fairly decent, but i've not played yet due to being burned by other poor titles by the developer (which bears mentioning is not namco). everyone here is likely already aware of it, but i figured i'd bear distinguishing it from the original, which BIL already mentioned.

Kuri Kinton feels very in the vein of spartan x evolution and a bit like vigilante. not particularly quality, but easily available on one the second of the ps2 taito legends collections and with a charming enough presentation to at least be credit fed. feels like it dips slightly more toward that weird side of semi-fighting games like a few of the hiryu no ken titles, though.

Genocide and Genocide 2 are both these types of games, too. kind of like mad stalker, they're both mech action, as well. released on a variety of platforms. avoid the sfc port of the 2nd game, it's the only one i've played and was developed by bits studio, and it's quite bad.

Kaizo Chojin Shubibinman 1, 3, and Zero all fit the genre, though zero perhaps less than the other two. i've yet to play the first, but it seems like a fairly standard spartan x-type game (copy is on the way and i'll be playing it soon-ish, however). the third game has a really great presentation and pacing to it, and despite a serious breeziness and bit of a short length, is quickly becoming a favorite pc engine game of mine. fun with a friend, too. zero is a bit more action-platformer-y than single plane melee/brawler, but features snappy combo moves and similar play to the previous titles - i'd consider 3 slightly better, but can easily see someone preferring this one. 2 is outright action-platformer and doesn't quite qualify, but it's a pretty decent rockman-styled game with shmup stages. reminder that zero recently got a repro cart that is officially produced by the license holder and manufactured by columbus circle, the same people who released the 8bit music power games as well as kirakira star night.

the boundaries of this genre get a little muddled between straight action and clearly defined melee combat, and i feel like due to the short range of the attacks and lack of complicated platforming, the entire daiku no gen-san series and a few batman games may also tangentially qualify or be worth bringing up, though any further and we're hitting stuff like KID's kick master and g.i. joe: the atlantis factor, or even something like jigoku gokuraku maru (or, hell, even ninja gaiden), which feel more toward general action/platforming.

- - - - - - - -

there! *wipes sweat* Image

enough titles to keep anyone busy, and almost guaranteed to have one or two ya either forgot about or never heard of.
Last edited by kitten on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BIL

Post by BIL »

kitten wrote:Panzer Bandit
I was toying with mentioning PB, and its clear inspiration Guardian Heroes... but tbh, their "multi-lane" system is pretty different from the absolute restriction of Spartan et al. See also the original Tenchi wo Kurau (CPS1), which looks like a typical beltscroller but actually uses the same setup. (at this level of scrutiny, I'm wondering if there are any strict sidescrolling brawlers that used the "sway" / stationary dodge mechanic from the earlier KOFs, haha).

Glad you mentioned it though. :wink: I really like Panzer Bandit, though it's been a while. I seem to recall Hagane pointing out my character of choice (the cigar-chomping cyborg dude) was somewhat its Kamaitachi... his grenade attack was definitely tearing shit up with minimal effort on my part! Been meaning to revisit. Rad tunes.
Battle Zeque-Den is developed by asmik and quite frankly looks like the kind of dogshit you'd expect from them (did they do ANYTHING good???). friend recently picked this one up and seemed to affirm that as being the case. maybe worth bringing up just for the general kind of rarity of this slightly specific genre? it has cool-looking sprite art, i guess.
Was thinking of this one too, but yeah, ala War for the Gems it's nothing I find very compelling.

Asmik... other than a remarkably fugly mascot in Askmik-kun, they did publish Hitoshi Sakimoto's excellent solo album Verytex, which comes with a fairly competent Compile-esque STG to play while you listen. ( :lol: ) Other than that, my only appreciation of them is their publishing of AKI's superbly casual/hardcore crossover N64 wrestling games. I recommend Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 - with a translation FAQ you can create any wrestler or MMA fighter imaginable.

"If you're gonna fight, fight dirty!"
Spoiler

"BAH GAWD HE BROKEN IN HAFF"
Spoiler

Gear Senshi Dendoh
Oh, don't think I'd heard of this one - neat. I'm looking forward to really digging into the PS1 obscurities at some point... what a labyrinthine catalogue. With its share of filler to be sure, but the gems do occur!
kitten

Post by kitten »

BIL wrote:I was toying with mentioning PB, and its clear inspiration Guardian Heroes... but tbh, their "multi-lane" system is pretty different from the absolute restriction of Spartan et al. See also the original Tenchi wo Kurau (CPS1), which looks like a typical beltscroller but actually uses the same setup. (at this level of scrutiny, I'm wondering if there are any strict sidescrolling brawlers that used the "sway" / stationary dodge mechanic from the earlier KOFs, haha).
Image ah, i'd totally forgotten that panzer bandit had multiple planes. i didn't check it out for too long before deciding i wanted a copy, and must have automatically assumed more similarity to mad stalker, which occupied the previous evening.

i've never played the tenchi wo kurau series, unfortunately. my arcade experience is pretty much limited to home ports and compilations. maybe in a few years my partner will get a better job and i'll become some sort of PCB collector :B ah, living the dream~

tbh, though, my sensibilities are much more console-minded and i'm quite happy doing what i'm doing, but it would be an ideal future to maybe have a cabinet or two running some eye candy i've been desperate to play for years, like undercover cops or geo storm.
Asmik... other than a remarkably fugly mascot in Askmik-kun, they did publish Hitoshi Sakimoto's excellent solo album Verytex, which comes with a fairly competent Compile-esque STG to play while you listen. ( :lol: ) Other than that, my only appreciation of them is their publishing of AKI's superbly casual/hardcore crossover N64 wrestling games. I recommend Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 - with a translation FAQ you can create any wrestler or MMA fighter imaginable.
asmik-kun is... kind of cute! i guess! i thought asmik-kun land for fc was semi-okay, possibly even deserving the resounding praise of being playable, i guess, and about the best they're capable of. it's still basically just a wagyan land game with prettier visuals, though, nothing i'd recommend to anyone here.

i've been meaning to nab verytex for ages. been assured it's a fairly mediocre shooter, but that soundtrack is soooo good

at least the first stage is, really gets your blood chilled & subsequently pumping! Image

also omg, those wrestling gifs are brutal :O lol
Oh, don't think I'd heard of this one - neat. I'm looking forward to really digging into the PS1 obscurities at some point... what a labyrinthine catalogue. With its share of filler to be sure, but the gems do occur!
it's a remarkably sprawling library, for sure. very easy to get lost in. sharc assures me that if you're focused specifically to 2d, it's a lot more doable, and it might be best to divide the library as such for consideration when delving it. this is one i found on my own while looking into natsume's history. though they get a little spotty post-sfc and are clearly past their heyday, there's looks to still be some quality stuff.
Image | Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

kitten wrote:i've never played the tenchi wo kurau series, unfortunately. my arcade experience is pretty much limited to home ports and compilations. maybe in a few years my partner will get a better job and i'll become some sort of PCB collector :B ah, living the dream~
The first game has a PCE-CD port I've been meaning to try out - no idea how faithful it is, but it looks pretty fun in its own right. The sequel (English title Warriors of Fate) got NTSCJ-only Saturn and PS1 ports - AFAIK the Saturn one is not only an excellent port (the downgrade from 3P to 2P co-op aside), it has an interesting EX mode with boosted combo capabilities. Not sure how the PS1 port fares - as soon as I saw it had mid-stage loading, I was outta there for the SS one! Sadly it's the PS1 port that's much easier to find these days - got one of those latter-day reprints including a book, like the Capcom Generation and Strider Hiryu ports.
tbh, though, my sensibilities are much more console-minded and i'm quite happy doing what i'm doing, but it would be an ideal future to maybe have a cabinet or two running some eye candy i've been desperate to play for years, like undercover cops or geo storm.
I long ago resigned myself to consoles, with the exception of MVS (dead easy going the consolised MVS route... and AES never got Shock Troopers, which was my #1 motivator, so that settled that). There's enough good-to-great ports that I don't mind too much. Main thing that stops me getting into PCBs is, I know I'd be absolutely useless at repairing/maintaining them... maybe that'll change in the future when I've got more disposable income, but by then I wonder what the market will look like. Eh, anyway, I'm sure you'd agree consoles leave more than enough to keep up with. ;3
i've been meaning to nab verytex for ages. been assured it's a fairly mediocre shooter, but that soundtrack is soooo good

at least the first stage is, really gets your blood chilled & subsequently pumping! Image
As a shooter it's pretty disposable, definitely. Runs silky-smooth with a decent pace and some very entertaining homing missiles, but the way each stage cycles through a handful of enemy patterns is distractingly obvious - none of the overlap or chaos found in superior zako-centric STGs like Recca. There's one bit very late in that I enjoy, where you reverse-scroll over a turret battery... that's about it though. Also the final boss is a comically brutal safespotter.

None of this really matters though - the soundtrack is immense. Image Super catchy and super heavy. Sakimoto and his frequent partner Iwata were alchemists. (tbh, maybe it's better that the game doesn't demand all that much attention >_> )
also omg, those wrestling gifs are brutal :O lol
Yeah it's one mean beatdown machine - Technos fans will be right at home with the merciless ground n' pounds. :mrgreen: VPW2 is probably the best of the lot... it was Japan-only, released between the Western Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy. Keeps the speedy 4P framerate of the former, adds the vital finishing touches of the latter (like the running grab that puts an attacking player on even footing with a stationary defender). Also has exclusive MMA fighting with a radically differing engine and rules, that could've easily been released as a stand-alone game - and you can mix/match it with the main wrestling mode! I've a long-standing affinity for this series - they were among the few games to really challenge Goldeneye 007 in our after-school multiplayer sessions, back in the glory days of buddyville (tm & c drauch) - but it really is quality work, with VPW2 the apex. Great for both casual 4P rumbles and bitter competitive rivalries. Even a moderately-skilled player will break a button-masher in half, while experts will bring the roof down with contests of appalling yet ultra-finessed violence. :twisted:
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

The main reason I liked TNWA is how close it played to some Capcom belt-scrollers despite the single-plane, I'd say it plays much closer to Final Fight than something like Spartan X or Bad Dudes. Unless you are playing Golden Axe, dodging up/down in belt-scrollers isn't some sort of magical crutch that will save you from any danger, enemies are designed in a way that you have to attack them properly to avoid danger, good offense is the best defense. Also you have to keep in mind single-plane games often have fewer enemies than belt-scrollers (e.g. 4 in TNWA vs 8+ in arcade ones), so while yeah the single-plane is more "direct" you also have less enemies to worry about, and like Squire said it's harder to pile all their hitboxes due to the Z axis. In short belt-scrollers aren't "dumbed down", they just handle considerably different to single-plane ones, even among the same sub-genre there many games that play too different to generalize them all (KoTR's defense is more about blocking than dodging).
Last edited by Vludi on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Quick note, Ys: Oath in Felghana is on sale for $4.50 (Steam, reg. $15) atm. Another promising game I heard about in this thread first.

As far as single-plane beat-em-up action, Irem's Kung Fu Master (available in their Arcade Hits collection) is primitive, and I'm not good enough to judge its ultimate quality. But it captures one thing really well---the low-budget filmic spectacle of intense, illicit violence in a House of Martial Arts. That after-hours vibe, when the younger students have gone home and the sleazy behind-the-scenes stuff happens. ...Actually, the game seriously asks you to beat up little kids at several points! Did the parents forget to pick them up?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Felghana is brilliant, and I'm honoured this thread introduced it to you! :o

Kung Fu Master is actually the overseas version of Spartan X, which was licensed off the Jackie Chan movie of the same name (though the game's structure would appear to be a direct lift from Bruce Lee's Game of Death, right down to the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar stand-in @ st3 boss). At least that was the movie's name in Japan... it's known as Wheels on Meals (great story behind the odd name!) in its native Hong Kong. I still think Wheels would've been an admittedly less badass but much groovier title for IREM's landmark sidescroller. :mrgreen:

Obligatory link to the movie's legendary fight between Jackie Chan and Benny "The Jet" Urquidez. Not to be missed!

The US/EU release of Nintendo's excellent NES port dropped the "Master," as most will know... what I learned recently is the Famicom Spartan X has a rare "Kung Fu" variant, too. Just went with plain ol' Spartan X, myself. One of those adaptations that's easily worth having alongside the later, closer 32-bit port.

Wa-taaa! *crack*
Spoiler

^ that is legendary smoothness many later sidescrollers would've done well to observe!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

That roundhouse kick in Kung Fu is awesome BIL, didn't know it was possible to pull this off. Very smooth indeed
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Works in the arcade version too:D
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.