Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
WelshMegalodon

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by WelshMegalodon »

kitten wrote:also, did you happen to find the stage 4 secret area?
Found it after your little tip, though I really wish I hadn't looked considering how close I was to discovering it on my own. In my defense, the entrance is very small.

And yes, it's obvious that the game can be counterstopped. I guess I just think it's odd how powerful the flower powerup appears to be, and how similar its properties appear to those of the unnamed evil flower. Makes me wonder whether the story in the German manual is a direct translation of the original or a fabrication a la Meta Fight.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
kitten

Post by kitten »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Found it after your little tip, though I really wish I hadn't looked considering how close I was to discovering it on my own. In my defense, the entrance is very small.

And yes, it's obvious that the game can be counterstopped. I guess I just think it's odd how powerful the flower powerup appears to be, and how similar its properties appear to those of the unnamed evil flower. Makes me wonder whether the story in the German manual is a direct translation of the original or a fabrication a la Meta Fight.
i'm a little curious if it's the genuine story or not, too, even though it would just be a little detail and not really impact what i think about the game.

and i forgot to comment on it, but yes, the people who consider the game the way i do are absurdly rare, and people who write about it are... i feel genuinely limited to exclusively me. i've not seen anyone else with my take express so in an article. it upsets me a lot, as i'd be willing to stake a hell of a lot on my perspective being the intended way the game was to be experienced. modern indie titles tend to smugly put forth the same ideas with much less elegant execution than this now relatively ancient little game boy game. i feel trip world would have been ten times more successful if it was re-released now, with a conceited trailer about how you can play it peacefully and maybe an ending to reward that.

ah, how underappreciated this gem is leaves me frigid Image

it's really easily one of my very favorite games. my pal sharc (the lurker who i got to pop in once or twice) was actually the one to buy me the game and suggest that i'd like it, though i doubt he anticipated how head over heels it would make me. it was also my gateway into importing, which has been the greatest material source of joy in the last couple years of my life. one of my few sources of recurring energy and appreciation in some very dark times.
__SKYe wrote:That's cool, both those games are pretty good, so I think you'll get a run for your money.
But 10k for FF3... I'm not too familiar with used games' prices, but I'd say that it is too much to pay for it, since it's not that much of a different game from FF2. Perhaps just wait it out, and maybe someday you'll find a copy cheaper?
it unfortunately doesn't look as if it will go down any time soon, but i do have confidence i'll get one in the 8-9k range, which i consider acceptable. a very good friend of mine has wanted me to play it, so i don't mind it being a big luxury buy.
BIL wrote:
kitten wrote:a 1cc of marchen mace for the pce

given the free-scrolling nature of this game, i think it semi-qualifies for this thread.
Definitely on topic - the thread's scope has expanded slightly in recent months. :wink: See the moderately updated OP.
cool, cool! i'll keep this in mind.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Quick question, am I right to assume that, on the standard PC Engine gamepad, those two toggle switches are for turbo/auto-fire?

EDIT: Okay, I just confirmed they are but now I have a new question: does anyone know how fast the slow/fast turbo settings are (ie. Hz)? Because on the emu there are 4 different turbo settings, and I'd like to know which are the most accurate.
Last edited by __SKYe on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitten

Post by kitten »

that's correct! i frequently use autofire on pc engine games, since the controller comes with it built right in. i think every variation of the controller i've seen and owned has had autofire, too.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Oops, edited my post but there was a new one. :oops:

Yeah, I was playing Darius Alpha, and the single shot/bomb per button press is ridiculously tiring. I tend to avoid using auto-fire when games don't natively support it, but there's a limit. I don't want carpal tunnel. :lol:

Fortunately the PC Engine takes care of this wonderfully, with autofire right on the hardware. Gotta love Hudson.

Do you know how fast the slow/fast turbo settings are (ie. Hz)? Because on the emu there are 4 different turbo settings, and I'd like to know which are the most accurate.
kitten

Post by kitten »

i'm going to guess that the fastest turbo setting is 16 shots per second, becuz, you know, hudson. i imagine the middle would be 8, but idk
Image | Image
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Yeah, I also thought of that at first, but the emu uses somewhat arbitrary speeds (x2, x5, x10, x15), so I guess I'll go with x15 since it is the closest to the ubiquitous x16.

Still great to see a hardware company providing autofire out of the box, without the need for external periphericals. From the top of my head, I can't think of any other console dev that has ever released this feature as the standard.
kitten

Post by kitten »

also very cool is the ability to soft-reset any game immediately by holding run and then pressing select. the pce is truly a console made for the dedicated action player!

i always use a hudson joycard when playing on my av famicom, too - they make great controllers. i try not to use autofire in certain games where it feels like it breaks them and to keep my mashing skills sharp (e.g. mega man), but when it's otherwise a constant and tremendous drain on my thumb, i go ahead and flick that shit on - esp when it comes to pce games and that the designers knew that was going to be an option for the player when making the games.

i should really get a controller with autofire for the sfc for a few games, but i don't know which would be a good one Image
Image | Image
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

kitten wrote:also very cool is the ability to soft-reset any game immediately by holding run and then pressing select. the pce is truly a console made for the dedicated action player!
Yeah, a predecessor to the GB line's A+B+Select+Start to soft reset the hardware.
kitten wrote:i always use a hudson joycard when playing on my av famicom, too - they make great controllers. i try not to use autofire in certain games where it feels like it breaks them and to keep my mashing skills sharp (e.g. mega man), but when it's otherwise a constant and tremendous drain on my thumb, i go ahead and flick that shit on - esp when it comes to pce games and that the designers knew that was going to be an option for the player when making the games.
Likewise, I never use autofire with the vast majority of games, 2D sidescrolling action included (Contra, MegaMan, etc), but I've recently been playing a few old-school shooters (eg. Darius, Raiden, etc) and those are absolutely brutal on the hands without autofire, and in my opinion much more fun when using it, so I've started to use it on these particular games.
kitten wrote:i should really get a controller with autofire for the sfc for a few games, but i don't know which would be a good one
I'm not too knowledgeable on this, but there is a Hudson Joy Card controller for the SFC, and also an ASCII one that appears to have good reviews. Here's a thread with some of them.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

__SKYe wrote: I'm not referring just to Nazi imagery (that's a special case), but rather the overall censorship.
I mean, if a publisher had (or intended) to censor because of some country (in Europe), I'd think they would go with the lowest common denominator when releasing games for all of Europe, at least back in the day.
Like I already said. All the censorship I can think of back in the day came from USA. All of it. It was a pretty big thing, you'd always see magazines going on about all the stuff we were missing out on because of Americans being afraid of religion, breasts, etc.

Otherwise your assumption would probably have been true.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Can people maybe preface some of their longer posts quoting other posts talking about an unnamed game with maybe the name of the game in question? Or maybe just try to smuggle it into the post in a way that makes sense, maybe without abbreviations? :P

I spend way too much time in here just trying to figure out what games people are talking about, often only to realise that it was just a beat'em up or something. :P
__SKYe wrote:
kitten wrote:also very cool is the ability to soft-reset any game immediately by holding run and then pressing select. the pce is truly a console made for the dedicated action player!
Yeah, a predecessor to the GB line's A+B+Select+Start to soft reset the hardware.
A lot of NES games do this as well. I'm pretty sure all games with a combination like this does it by software... even the PC Engine? Old game consoles don't have a BIOS or operating system or anything, that's operating in the background, so unless it's controlled by hardware, you'd need the game to take care of it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote: Like I already said. All the censorship I can think of back in the day came from USA. All of it. It was a pretty big thing, you'd always see magazines going on about all the stuff we were missing out on because of Americans being afraid of religion, breasts, etc.
Not sure about NES, but I know Mortal Kombat II SNES changed the blood from red to green in Japan. Christmas time is coming soon. Maybe I should play both versions! ;)

Some old game consoles do have a BIOS. SMS, Colecovision, and Intellivision definitely have one.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Oh yeah, before anyone else picks up on it, one obvious example of a game that was censored in Europe - Castlevania "The New Generation". That one is kinda bad, and annoyingly it also carries over the American censorship (we can't have a feminine looking dude be the main character!!), probably primarily for convenience reasons.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The first FC Dragonball was released in some parts of Europe in a French language version and it lacks the censorship of the Dragon Power version.

Unboxing
Game footage
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

In general, USAians had a tendency to hide away anything resembling manga/anime in video games. That stuff was big in France though, so they'd usually go the opposite direction.
It's amazing Clash At Demonhead made it through relatively unscathed, not counting the bastardized box art.

EDIT: Probably my favourite examples:

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The EU "Mr." Gimmick is also an oddity. I read it was only released in Scandanavia or something along those lines.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Saying Dragon Ball was big in France is an understatement, believe me.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
kitten

Post by kitten »

__SKYe wrote:I'm not too knowledgeable on this, but there is a Hudson Joy Card controller for the SFC, and also an ASCII one that appears to have good reviews. Here's a thread with some of them.
ah, yes, i remember i was looking for a decent asciipad and never found one at the price i wanted. i wonder if that's the best one, though. i get a bit paralyzed by choice in circumstances like these, especially because i'm so fond of the default snes pad's d-pad and worried anything else will feel weird. i was capturing a nomiss play of trax on my super game boy 2, tonight, and remembered the big reason i wanted to get one was to get autofire for some gb games that would save my thumb some torture. trax is one of those games where you never need to do anything but hold the button, but rapidly pressing can belt shots out super quickly if you're close enough for an enemy to immediately be hit them. doing this while rotating with rapid taps (also hold-to-rotate but just goes too slow) just screws my thumb up.

does anyone on here have any personal recommendations?
Sumez wrote:Can people maybe preface some of their longer posts quoting other posts talking about an unnamed game with maybe the name of the game in question? Or maybe just try to smuggle it into the post in a way that makes sense, maybe without abbreviations? :P

I spend way too much time in here just trying to figure out what games people are talking about, often only to realise that it was just a beat'em up or something. :P
i will maybe try, but likely forget. i run into this problem a lot over on this forum i've been going to where it's just me and the admin posting back and forth on a genuinely ancient board i've been on (off and on) for like 11 years. the thread is nearly 1 million words and two years old (last i checked i think it was like 850k and it's definitely broken 900 by now), and a decent portion is just really long bits of responding to quoted text. some of the paragraphs are enormous (mostly mine, i dump a lot of short reviews in there), others are just back and forth sentences, and i often end up having to ctrl+f up a couple of times to find what he was saying, then what i was saying, and then what he was saying to actually remember the subject.

it's very silly! Image
Sumez wrote:A lot of NES games do this as well. I'm pretty sure all games with a combination like this does it by software... even the PC Engine? Old game consoles don't have a BIOS or operating system or anything, that's operating in the background, so unless it's controlled by hardware, you'd need the game to take care of it.
i can't think of any nes games that do it off the top of my head. i wonder if there's a resource for which do it, somewhere?

every single pc engine game i've tried - whether it be hucard or cd (boots you back to the boot screen, actually) - does this, and it's always the same combination of holding run and then pressing select. i cannot even imagine how many trips off the couch this has saved me!!! i've already done a pretty healthy variety of nomiss/1cc runs for pce games (23, i believe - a lot of stuff i'd unfortunately done before the capture equipment that i need to go back to and capture), and this feature feels like a godsend. whether hudson or nec mandated it or it's just something native to the hardware, it totally rules.

come december, i'll have 49 hucards and 28 cd games. my library has grown so much more rapidly than i'd have ever expected. aaaa, i love this console. still quite a few games i'd like to pick up, too! the pc engine bible has been a truly superb resource for keeping tabs on interesting stuff and quickly accessing the kana for searches.
Image | Image
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

kitten wrote:i try not to use autofire in certain games where it feels like it breaks them and to keep my mashing skills sharp (e.g. mega man)
Nowadays I always use autofire whenever there's an option, except for beat em up, hack and slash, and fighting games. I even consider shmups that do not allow you use autofire even using external button is a bad game design.
NYN

Post by NYN »

Imagine.
Spoiler
A game about a dispute 'tween two elderly men. One is a toymaker, who fashions some marvelous stuff. The other is a 'stache-twirling investor with a mansion full of money bags. Together they once set out to open an amusement park. Only they had a petty fall out of sorts, when it came to splitting up the profits. So they stopped being on the same bowling team and started to give the other evils when they walked their dogs in the same 'hood. Till one day, when the toymaker learns about the grand opening of the new amusement park. Of course he files a cease and desist, only to get anonymous late night calls with some lewd language.
Enter the kid with a 'tude.
He's the nephew or grandson of the toymaker and sets out to set things right and himself for a mighty fun time with the rides.
Bit of a safety-first nerd, he puts on his bicycle helmet and grabs his mobile music player to enjoy his rampage with grand musical taste. Off he goes to toss some lemons or deviled eggs or tennis balls at the attractions with extreme prejudice for copyright infringement.
Naturally Mr Money Bags would not have it and sends his lackeys to stop him, laughing while sitting in a darkly dimmed panic room with CCTV monitors.
So this kid has to whack these dudes on top of his destruction derby. All a-waiting in a closed room with no escape.
Rubbing off the gardener, the circus strongman, the electrician, the ice-cream vendor, the pyrotechnician and the fireworks expert in his trick-or-treating prankster style.
Before he goes to egg the investor and help himself to as much coinage as he is able carry, he has to face a toy replica of himself. What was meant in concept as a loving gesture of his caring grandfather or uncle is a lame thing that would not move if he wouldn't. So, in a preface to puberty, he blows it up.
On his way in the skull-shaped mansion, he has to defeat the six dudes again. Being humiliated by a brat a second time they think of their self-respect and job prospects and quit. Right before their employer fires them over the PA system for incompetence and demands that they leave the premises immediatly.
Standing at the greatest attraction of all the rides, the kid has to bust the controls so the crazed idea thief gets hurled to his feet, too dazed to get up. Snatching the signature on a cheque, he is on his lenghty way back home while the credits run.
Handing it over to his relative for damages, he is flabbergasted to hear that he has a cute twin sister.
The end?

That's the European exclusive.
The North American version comes with a middle-aged fat man.
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Actually the european version is pretty bad-ass:
Spoiler
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

copy-paster wrote:
kitten wrote:i try not to use autofire in certain games where it feels like it breaks them and to keep my mashing skills sharp (e.g. mega man)
Nowadays I always use autofire whenever there's an option, except for beat em up, hack and slash, and fighting games. I even consider shmups that do not allow you use autofire even using external button is a bad game design.
I pretty much use autofire whenever it makes for a better game experience. I already work a desk job so I want to do whatever I can to keep from getting RSI so I can enjoy these games for years to come. But I do try to keep it reasonable, e.g. when I play Strider I keep it down to ~10hz. And of course if I were to say enter a tournament or something that prohibits it, I wouldn't use it.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Sumez wrote:A lot of NES games do this as well. I'm pretty sure all games with a combination like this does it by software... even the PC Engine? Old game consoles don't have a BIOS or operating system or anything, that's operating in the background, so unless it's controlled by hardware, you'd need the game to take care of it.
I don't know about the NES, but I'm pretty sure that on the PC Engine and the GB line (DS included) all games do this, so either it is done in hardware (the machine detects the input combination and jumps to the Reset IRQ, or something along those lines) or it is enforced by the manufacturer (NEC, Nintendo, etc) as a requirement for each game, like kitten said.
Either way, it is a pretty neat thing, not having to get up and manually reset the console.
Sumez wrote:Actually the european version is pretty bad-ass:
Yeah, but the USA cover is legendary. :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I don't remember which ones, but there are actually a few GB games that don't have a reset with start, select, b, and a at the same time. One game, Link's Awakening, brings up a save menu when the buttons are pressed. So my guess is that it is done in software.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Good call, didn't remember that one.
Then perhaps it really was more of a Nintendo guideline rather than implemented in hardware.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Apologies for the double post, but entirely different content.

Came very close to getting a 1CC on Bare Knuckle III (with Blaze, of course), leaving the final boss with 1/4 of the last HP bar.
The run went quite well in some respects, but horrible in others. Also, done with the 3-button gamepad.

On the good side, I can nearly defeat every boss, except the last, on a single life. I lost 2 lives against bosses in this run, but on both times I won without losing any HP on the 2nd life (ie. one hit less and I would have won without losing them).
On the bad side, I lost some 2~3 lives on the 3rd stage alone, due to very poor play (fell on holes multiple times, etc), and nearly stopped playing there.

The good thing is that, I'm quite sure I'll get the 1CC very soon, so it's not entirely bad.

The game isn't as bad as I originally thought (noob mindset to blame :oops: ), and it does/has some things even better than SOR2, but it still doesn't feel as polished as the previous entry.

The bad part:
The redesigned standard combo lacks 'weight', and it makes it feel closer to other cheap FF knock-offs (eg. Rushing Beat 1, etc), where you are hitting an enemy, but it doesn't feel right. A step down, especially since they had a perfectly good system in SOR 2.
Being able to control your character while in mid-air is also weird, once again a step down from SOR2 (and in my opinion, even worse than SOR1, since you can't turn around while in mid-air in SOR3).
Your character also performs the entirety of the standard combo, even when you're punching at nothing. While it may be just a different take on the formula, I still prefer the standard of only performing it when you actually hit something. This has the more obvious effect of you being unable to mash the attack button close to a downed enemy, so as to hit them as they get up (though you can do so anyway, and risk hitting them with only a partial combo, or simply time your attack right, so that you hit them as they are vulnerable again).
You cannot grab an enemy that is blocking, which is plenty annoying. Against those kung-fu enemies, for example, if you try to grab them after poking (and they are defending), you won't be able to and will just walk over them, often taking a hit or two in the process. In my opinion, this is not cool, as you should be able to grab them anyway.
Inability to hit the Signal enemies from their slide, with a jump kick, something that it's possible in SOR2, and actually quite nice.

The good part:
Being able to dash, and especially roll vertically is very nice. This also extends to being able to perform wide reaching jump attacks and running specials.
The music isn't as bad as I first thought. More experimental yes, and nowhere near the previous games' soundtrack, but still pretty nice.
They re-introduced the knock down (and taking damage) when trying to throw one of the fat enemies. I always thought this was cool and I'm happy that it is back.

There's not much in the good side, but this is because the game already does many thing right, coming from SOR2, so it's still a very solid game.

Difficulty-wise, I think it is quite a bit easier than SOR2 (and SOR1 as well), though overall, I find the bosses better designed, and not as dependant on the special attacks (like the boxer in SOR2, for example). There are exceptions, like the factory crane one, where although it is a fresh concept, it eventually just becomes a boring fight, given how easy it is.

I found that pretty much every boss, bar the last, are most susceptible to standard combos rather than throws, since most of them will punish you hard by trying to actively throw them. Even Ash, the first midboss, will do massive damage against throws (by throwing you instead). Bosses in the previous game also do this, but I thought it was a bit more pronounced in SOR3.

The exception is the final boss, which is an absolute bastard, and it is hard to gauge his exact positioning, since he's always floating and rotating around.
I managed to put him in a throw loop for a bit, but he eventually broke free, and it felt like his attacks had much higher priority than mine almost all the time (and I'm not talking about trying to hit him after a knockdown).
Of course, this might just be the lack of familiarity speaking, but still the previous bosses all felt quite right.

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to clearing this one, and also try some of the new characters. Blaze is still awesome in this game, and has a fantastic special attack (the running B+C), especially at 3 stars, which makes her do a long slide after the initial somersault. Her sprite animations look awesome as well, as do the others.

-----

Also played a run on Bare Knuckle 1 (with Blaze as always) on Hard, and got to the final boss, but got rekt. :lol:

I also played terribly on the initial portion of the game, losing some 4~5 lives against bosses alone (which I normally wouldn't lose), but still managed to make it to Mr. X with 3 lives in stock.

On the bright side, managed to beat the twins without taking a single hit, and without calling the cop. Not only that, but also didn't lose any lives on their stage as well, which I find to be one of the hardest.
Did almost equally as well on the boss rush against them, but took a hit and lost a life, though the strategy went pretty smoothly nonetheless.

Bosses do obscene amounts of damage in this game (on Hard), though it differs from boss to boss.
The Krueger will kill you in 2 hits, taking roughly half your HP with each strike, but Abadede will take out nearly your entire bar -- take a look at this:

I reached him with full health, too a single hit and ended up with only this HP.

On a good run, I can beat all the bosses on the boss rush without dying, but on their respective stages it's nowhere as good. The helper enemies will mess up my game big time, and I tend to lose lives even on mildly easy bosses (with their inflated damage ratios).
The Kruegers are dangerous all around, and perhaps the hardest enemies for me to beat without losing lives, short of Mr. X.

Mr. X himself is a bastard, which has a tonne of HP and also kills you in 2 hits.
I always have big trouble against him, even on Normal, so not too surprising.

I do hope to eventually 1CC this on Hard, along with Final Fight 2 on Expert, but it should take some time.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Apologies for triple post, but the last one is already big as it is. :lol:

It's done -- got the 1CC in Bare Knuckle III with Blaze.

ImageImage

I was disappointed that you can't input your initials after a 1CC, though, and can only do so after a game over.

Run went pretty well for the most part, thought I still messed up in a few spots.
Messed up quite early, and lost 2 lives early on (by stage 3), and lost one more against Robo Axel (another one of those that with a single hit less, and I wouldn't have lost it). Lost another at the start of stage 6 (with the bear traps) and yet another against the jetpack boss (I always have a tough time against this boss, and always lose at least one life against him), and surprisingly only lost a single life against the final boss.

Like on my previous run, I can somehow manage to put him into a throw loop (went better this time around, and took a nice chunk of his life this way) by:
Spoiler
Knocking him down, rolling vertically (upwards or downwards -- it doesn't matter) baiting him into performing a jump attack, and then quickly walk to him, grab him from behind and back throw him (and repeat).
I still have trouble against his normal patterns though, so all things considered, it went quite well (and took only about 1:20 to beat him).

Some other remarks I forgot before:
Although the standard combo is weaker than in SOR 2 (in my opinion anyway), I like that you can now poke and walk towards an enemy almost like in SOR1 (enemies don't have as much hitstun as in SOR1). In SOR2, either because your character's punch animation is longer, or because enemies have less hitstun, you barely have any time to approach them after a poke, more akin to Final Fight.
Enemies should also be able to be damaged by the bear traps in Stage 6~7. This is a very minor point, but it feels quite nice in FF2, for example, to lead enemies into the landmines in Holland, and watch them explode themselves. Enemies get hit by the minecarts and the lasers on the factory stage though, so it's really just a very minor thing.

Something I only noticed recently, is that SOR3 doesn't have a timer like its predecessors. Minor thing, as it was never a problem before (except against the twins in SOR1), but interesting nonetheless -- perhaps a little step forward from the genre's arcade roots. Though to compensate, it does contain two timed sections.

Another interesting thing, design-wise, is that on some levels (Stage 3 vs Robo Axel, Stage 4 vs Robo Mr. X) the chicken appears a whole section before the boss, rather than right before it, so you have to manage it wisely otherwise it will be wasted. Also if you happen to destroy the chicken's container, but don't want to pick it up immediately, it will eventually disappear altogether, so if you really want to save it for the boss, you'll have to be careful not to destroy the container in the first place (not always easy to do, like in the elevator before Robo Mr. X). An interesting change of pace.

What I do think the game's missing, is a Metroid-like 'escape the complex' finale. The plot/stages are setup perfectly for it, and it would really fit, in my opinion.

Anyway, by comparison with SOR2, this game was quite a bit easier to 1CC, though as you all know this doesn't apply to the US version.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Nice job
kitten

Post by kitten »

good job on the clears, skye! Image

i'd have a lot more to say, but i sadly don't own a copy of bare knuckle III, yet. was bidding on one last round of stuff, but they all went out of my price range. fantastic box art, that game has! excited to eventually get a copy, i'll make sure to read your posts for tips.

i will, however, be playing co-op of at least bare knuckle II with my friend while he visits at the start of next month. he's a fellow blaze player! i tend to favor axel, though i should probably try and get a handle on max, since i prefer characters like ninja in TNWA by a very heavy margin. we'll probably be recording & uploading a 1cc, and i'm looking forward to gleaning tips off of him. he's 1cc'd hard, and i think it will be a very fun experience.

bad news, however! mighty final fight got delayed in being shipped to the proxy service and i won't be getting it in this next shipment :( had 11 full days to get there and was being shipped in the same damn city from a reputable seller - no idea what happened, there! plenty of other beat 'em up fun on the way, though, and i suspect to do a few co-op recordings while he's down here, and maybe even a couple after with my bff. she's not quite up to my level (relatively amateur beat 'em up player that i am), but is definitely competent enough to keep up without completely soaking the credit pool.

- = - = - = - = - = -

speaking of recordings! as talked about in this post, i've got a few.

- - - - -

Majuu Ou - Hard Mode - No Miss Clear - No Fairy Lost - Good Ending

yeaaa! i talked about this in the linked post up above, and another post on the previous page. fun game. my play is mostly on point, here, though there's a few mistakes or hairy bits. in particular, i am saved by the skin of my teeth on the bridge about halfway through the game when i take a hit and very luckily get boosted up exactly enough to land on the next platform, which has yet to collapse. that bridge is seriously the most nerve-wracking part of a nomiss for this game.

- - - - -

Trip World - No Miss Clear - Instructive Peaceful Play

this is about how i think a trip world run should go for a player who has played a couple of times and is able to get a nomiss down. i stop to smell the roses, and i show off a couple of cute and fun interactions with the enemies. if you've not done so, please consider reading the review i wrote, which is pasted in the description of the video. should help explain my uncommon view on the game that i stake is actually the intended way to consider it.

- - - - -

Trax - No Miss Clear

just felt like playing this one, again! Image

there's not a whole lot to say about trax, other than that it's a good little burst of goofy, simple entertainment. lots of production value that you can tell informed later kirby games. in particular, the big explosion the game likes to constantly use and cause immense slowdown with is nearly identical to the explosion scarfy does in the kirby games.

edit:

oh, right! don't forget to check the beginning of both the trax and trip world videos for two different super game boy 2 exclusive borders in their animated state. with either SGB, if you idle in a game long enough (~a few minutes?) the border will eventually play an animation. my personal favorite is the original SGB one where the cats will get up and run away, one by one, and not come back until you reset. when you resume play, you stop losing cats, and can choose to play with only a couple having run off. i took the courtesy of waiting to begin each play until the animation had started, and properly capturing the demo reel footage for both games so you get a good look at them.
Image | Image
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Great job on the clear Skye! I need to nail the 1CC in that one, its probably my favorite SOR game.

Enjoyed the Majuu Ou run as well Kitten, and have become rather fond of the game recently. I was going to watch your Trip World run, but I read your write-up beforehand, and it made me want to experience the game fresh before seeing anything on it. Sounds like a lovely game!

Oh, and TNWA get! Sadly just before work, but should have plenty of time this weekend to dig into it.