Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Got this yesterday already, three days earlier than expected!

Don't know when I'll get the time to play it :|
Oh, interesting - first I've heard of that one. Got a bit of a Section Z thing going with that armour design. Little time for gaming myself, atm, and my Shitty USB Gamepad™ died (as they do like clockwork every six months) so I can't even shop around for new stuff via teh ROMZ. Crumbs!

Speaking of! Glad to see some Ys V discussion. Longtime minor curiosity of mine, but its middling repute (and the Original/Expert thing) made me shuffle it to the back of the black sheep folder. Might revisit now that more pressing SFC quarry is bagged. Always loved the plaintive mood of its opening. The OST's not Falcom's usual fiery, catchy rock/metal fare, but I rank Field of Gale (particularly its orchestral version) among the series' best tracks. Stirring stuff!
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:Speaking of! Glad to see some Ys V discussion. Longtime minor curiosity of mine, but its middling repute (and the Original/Expert thing) made me shuffle it to the back of the black sheep folder. Might revisit now that more pressing SFC quarry is bagged. Always loved the plaintive mood of its opening. The OST's not Falcom's usual fiery, catchy rock/metal fare, but I rank Field of Gale (particularly its orchestral version) among the series' best tracks. Stirring stuff!
I think despite its shortcomings Ys V is still a decent game worth playing. In any case, it's only about 8 hours long, so it doesn't constitute a major commitment.
I'm not sure it's really worth bothering with Expert. It's basically just a hard mode, but the combat in the game so straight forward, I'm not sure spending more time with it adds much to the game. (It's not been translated either.)

It's clear from interviews with the devs that Falcom simply lacked the resources at the time to really polish the game. It's still pretty impressive what they were able to put together though, taking a lot of cues from Squaresoft in terms of look and feel (down to the blue menu windows), and looking back it did a good job of bridging the series into incorporating 3D environments.

So bottom line: It's a bit of a black sheep in the series, but nowhere near the extent that Ys III is.

I also think the Ys V orchestral arrange album is top notch. This is another favorite of mine.

Falcom did a lot of fantastic orchestral stuff at the time, Legend of Heroes III being particularly impressive. (Great game too! Would be great to see a translation project for Hudson's slick Saturn port.)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Damn I had never peeped Ys V. It sure does look pretty. And being able to swing your sword is cool (i personnally don't like the bumping mechanic of the earlier games).

I need to try this whenever I get around to finally ordering a flashcart
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Just 1cc'd Gremlins 2 on the NES. Good fun, incredible soundtrack, and the usual Sunsoft polish. Fell pretty quick but there are some absolute bastard triple jumps in there.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Yep that seals it CIT, gonna bump Ys V up the to-do list!
CIT wrote:So bottom line: It's a bit of a black sheep in the series, but nowhere near the extent that Ys III is.
I consider III more of a goat in sheep's clothing tbh. :mrgreen: I actually played its MD version immediately after I & II Complete (Windows), despite dying to start Felghana... wanted historical perspective, I guess. I don't remember dislking it, but neither can I remember very much of it at all. Other than the usual superb OST, which came out pretty well on MD if I recall, and one overriding negative - its feebly chopping sword attack. I don't demand first-rate action from less arcade-geared slashers, but I do need some personality... not even something really excellent like Zelda II's nimble duelling, even Faxanadu's brutally simple wall-slamming skewers will do. Put me off revisiting it to this day. Although I have to admit, just typing this has made me want to go back and see if I feel any differently. Been like a decade.
Falcom did a lot of fantastic orchestral stuff at the time, Legend of Heroes III being particularly impressive. (Great game too! Would be great to see a translation project for Hudson's slick Saturn port.)
I've wondered about those Saturn collections - had no idea Hudson were involved, that always pricks my ears up. I've been slacking on the ol' Falcom port genealogy, that shit's not for part-timers!
Skykid wrote:Just 1cc'd Gremlins 2 on the NES. Good fun, incredible soundtrack, and the usual Sunsoft polish. Fell pretty quick but there are some absolute bastard triple jumps in there.
Superb game - I always caution newbies to put up with the crummy st1 tomato, the later weaponry is explosively gratifying. I wish Metafight's weak topdown shooting was even half as good as Gremlins 2's lategame bruiser massacres.

I was just thinking the other day, how Sunsoft's best FC action games (I'm going with Metafight onwards) tended to exemplify what I tentatively call "good physics." Stuff whose handling incorporates notions of real weight and momentum in a way that enhances the action, rather than compromising it: Metafight's hulking sense of heft and boost, Batman's sublimely responsive wall-spring, the game-length masterclass in momentum that is Gimmick!, and Battle Formula's improbably smooth STG/driving hybrid.

Deploy snow tyres! And HIT DE BOOST
Spoiler

The distinction between weak and strong walljump may look trivial, but it's why I don't get a METAL CLAW IN MY FUCKEN FACE
Spoiler

BOUNCIN' ON DAT BEAVER ;3
Spoiler

Bullets are safe in small doses, but laser is for DIE
Spoiler

It struck me how Gremlins 2 keeps Gizmo's movement tack-sharp and turn-on-a-dime. This was absolutely the right call, ofc, with the game's demands for deadly-precise movement (Battle Formula similarly goes inertia-free for its traditional STG jet segment). Conversely, Dynamite Batman's harsher stage designs are uncalibrated for its heavy handling, as are Raf World's to a much lesser extent.

Thinking of the best stuff from other FC action luminaries like Capcom, Konami and Natsume, they tend to go with more uniformly instant, "weightless" handling - minor stuff like Rockman's mild startup/slowdown on running aside. The one example of a major action game with similar heft that's readily coming to mind is Shatterhand/Solbrain, whose air handling, walljumping and fixation on industrial danger is so very Batman, I almost wonder if they shared staff.

Not a criticism of any of those companies or their work, of course. Neither weightless nor weighty handling is any guarantee of quality (and I may well be forgetting/unaware of similarly well-executed heavies from these companies, besides). Just struck me how much of a Sunsoft trait it seems to be among the cream of the console's action gaming crop.

(SMB2J is obviously the reigning dark overlord of Brutal Hop/Bop, but I'm thinking of more overtly kill-centric stuff ala Dracula/NG)

edited seven times for the ultimate image tagging smoothness
Last edited by BIL on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:23 am, edited 7 times in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Gremlins 2 was a fantastic top down action game! It's definitely on the list of games based on a movie/tv franchise that are truly great games.

You guys ever play Startropics? Gremlins 2 really helped satisfy me when I was looking for more top down games of that style. The first Startropics game has a cute plot, unique and interesting tropical setting... and controls clunky as all hell. Movement often feels even stiffer than the original Legend of Zelda. But then bam, you get the sequel which has a cheesy, far less interesting story, but controls so silky smooth that it plays like an absolute dream in the dungeon sequences (responsive 360 degree control like Gremlins 2).

We really need a third Startropics game with the plot and setting quality of the first one combined with the gameplay of the second.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Meikyū Jiin Dababa from Konami on FDS plays a bit like Startropics.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

responsive 360 degree control like Gremlins 2).
Interesting comment because I struggled hitting diagonals in this. I don't know if it was the NES pad not being the wonderpad of old I remembered but I often resorted to jumping workarounds to hit the diagonal I needed, and on the section on stage 2-2 (IIRC) where the large fireball breathing Gremlin occupies an impassable ledge (the JP version has an easy getaway at this juncture) I had to hit a string of jumping diagonal shots spammed in the thing's face while jumping his projectiles. Not too easy.

Generally though the game is short, fast and action packed. The bosses are all over the place though, with the first boss taking 39 hits with the powered up match weapon (I counted) and later bosses (like the machine gunner) taking about 12. The last boss is also a bit unusual, with a difficult pattern to judge and almost no room to breathe in the bottom corners of the screen, leading to the occasional seemingly unavoidable hit.

I like the way the game is entirely based around the 1cc though, starting you with zero lives from the outset and at a continue.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:The bosses are all over the place though, with the first boss taking 39 hits with the powered up match weapon (I counted) and later bosses (like the machine gunner) taking about 12.
The first boss's HP balance may be more to do with the POW match; it does a ton more damage at short range. I remember noticing this on my last playthrough, and being reminded of the variable damage mechanics in FC Batman (first boss can die almost instantly, or hang around for upwards of a minute, depending entirely on how you're hitting him with the batarangs). Easier said than done to hit boss Gremlin up close with his barging hitbox and random hops, ofc. I like to run up and blast him in the face until he's done taunting and finally attacks. Can get in anywhere from five safe hits guaranteed, more if you're lucky, something like ten if you can't be arsed with gambling and don't mind taking a swipe before clearing off.

Time to switch me SHOOTA from TICKLE to SLAP
Spoiler

If you're feeling lazy and have a couple hearts to spare, you can just stay put and rack up pointblank shots. He'll die in seconds. Looks like shit though. Holy damage race, Dynamite Batman! Image

Fuuck I'd forgotten just how good this OST is... cyber murderface bassline for boss BGM. The sense of being a small furry animal in an enclosed space with an apex predator is pretty good too. I like how the appearance of the first really bad muhfucka is something of an event, with that shadow in the ventilation shafts before encountering any actual Gremlins, and the boss's awesome cocoon explosion. Although, as neat as it is that they gave Gizmo model-accurate sprites depending on whether he's facing left or right, they kinda missed a trick not going with the bandanna for the final showdown!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Right, never tried that. I see you're a heart purchaser? Or are you playing the JP version that awards an extra heart per finished stage? I bought lives at any opportunity, and when not 1 extra balloon and the obligatory power up.

Usually fighting the boss is cagey for me because I want to survive the stage to get heart replenishments back to 3, so I wouldn't spam him up close.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Glorious nippon ver or bust! :cool: Unless it's a CVIII/NGIII kinda situation. Then, I'm kinda FOOKED with no NES atm! And my chronic inability to really get it up for ROMZ I don't own. :oops: I gotta be GOD HARD to bother these days! I mean technically I have those games, but they're cart-only and in my grandma's attic and beat to fuck. I play 'em when I visit on holidays.
Skykid wrote:Right, never tried that. I see you're a heart purchaser? Or are you playing the JP version that awards an extra heart per finished stage?
IIRC (it's been years), the JP one doesn't award you extra heart containers - if you don't buy them, you'll remain at three the whole game. It does heal one of your available heart containers upon reaching a new stage segment (eg 2-2, then st2 boss), with the whole lifebar restoring after a stage is cleared (I think the US/EU one does this, too? now that one's been decades)

At any rate, I found the game most exciting as a 1LC, so I pile all my cash into maxing out the lifebar, then POW, then balloons in that order with excess going to 1UPs. POW aside - cock the hammer it's time for action - it's all training wheels tbh. Clamp Center is a violent Eldritch world full of leaping horror and yawning chasm. Image
Usually fighting the boss is cagey for me because I want to survive the stage to get heart replenishments back to 3, so I wouldn't spam him up close.
Attacking from his sides is pretty doable, seems to get more contact there. Front or back is risky given the way his hitbox works, and the speed he can cover ground in those directions. Stick n' move is my usual approach.

edit: Also holy shit lmao, I wish I'd been replaying this back when me and kitty had our big NG1 dance battle. This game is loaded, FUCKIN ROADED with exactly the sort of look before you leap bitch! pit setups Tecmo loves. IT WOULDA MADE GREAT RHETORICAL AMMUNITION (`ω´メ) I was getting punked HARD by st3 until I remembered to SLOW IT THE FUCK DOWN and watch where TF I was going! Once I did, though, I remembered this game owns! Beautiful stuff. I'd be kicking myself up my own arse right now, if I'd not casually nabbed it up in a job lot some aeons ago.
Last edited by BIL on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

https://tcrf.net/Gremlins_2_(NES)

Check that out. It just states the JP version replenishes a heart each "level". The US/PAL only replenish your heart stock when you clear a total stage. Now I'm not sure exactly about all this, and whether or not that's referring to sub stages in the JP version, but you definitely get nothing back on sub stages in the US.

The most brutal change made to the US in terms of stage layout is the additional spiked platform I mentioned earlier, forcing you to go through the fireball spitting gremlin rather than around him. That said 2-2 had become generally far more fraught and dangerous with the removal of jumping space and additional spiked platforms when trying to avoid enemies.

I think if you stockpiled balloons that's indeed a very clever way to 1LC, since there are so many devious platform junctures you could literally avoid the majority by popping over the nearest edge and floating to safety. I wouldn't bother with it though.

BIL

Post by BIL »

I know, had a look myself. Slightly imprecise wording! Just went for a spin up to st4 with no heart containers bought - stayed at three the whole time. You heal one heart per stage segment, unlike US/EU, but otherwise JP is exactly the same.

> Only way to gain the fourth heart is to buy it from Wing's shop.
> Whatever your state after a boss dies, you start each new stage with three hearts (2-1, 3-1, etc).

As an aside, TCRF is a great resource and also good fun to browse, but they're far from infallible or exhaustive. I've been mulling over dropping the hammer of truth on the Double Dragon II NES page. The poor chaps think the JP version merely doubles enemy HP on its hardest setting. Ahahaha. WRONG BITCH! JP Hard AI will skullfuck you into the floor and bum your corpse if you go in expecting the dozy US Hard AI. BEHOLD

But I'm busy atm and lazy always and like to leave a little mystery in the world. And for all I know they'd say I'm a dumb lying asshole so the hammer remains undropped. Working on a DDIIFC Hard 1LC incidentally, just trying to make my knee bazooka timing not suck again. 90% accuracy from standing, but recovering from knockdown is still dicey.

I think there's a limit of three balloons in G2? Given the sheer lack of floor in later stages and the way shops work, I don't think a pitfall-plagued player could bruteforce very far on those alone. They certainly do take the edge off things, though.

---

EMERGENCY BULLETIN FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
END OF PART 1 / "THE FALL OF DR. BIRUFORD"

Dear longterm participants and readers of the official shmups.system11 Run 2 The Right While Killing Muhfuckas thread - no, that's not right at all...

Dear Friends,

Regretfully I've been lying to you all these years about myself. For so long I've told you of Dr. Biruford, a man of fierce gaming passions and raging alcoholism. So many of the most audacious posts in this thread were claimed to be dispatches from his top-secret sidescrollerbunker to myself, his humble assistant and courier.

The shocking truth is, Dr. Biruford and I are one and the same. Yes, it was all a meticulously constructed and maintained ruse on my part. I just couldn't bring myself to write under my own identity - I feared you'd all accuse me of being a big fucken nerd too in love with the great taste of his own dick. In truth I don't even own a bunker - I live in a modest flat just outside Tinkletowne Crescent - and I drink only occasionally down at my local, The Limey's Balls. Only the gaming was true, I am sorry to say. v-v

As some gesture towards reconciliation, I am official closing Part 1 of R2RKMF ("Run to right, kill mother fuckers"), and beginning Part 2 with an aim to addressing a desire some of you have raised; that for the thread to widen its scope slightly. Thus, I am legitimising the previously unofficial beltscrolling and topdown action strands of the thread, with the long-standing acceptance of single-screeners to be taken as implicit (OBVIOUSLY LMAO - do you even MSX2 Akumajou Dracula, noobs?).

However... (;`ω´;) I implore you, gentlemen - do not make the mistake of thinking the doctor's wrath will vanish from this world along with his ruse! For that terrible wrath which drove noobs and scrubs weeping and pants-shitten from these halls remains ever at hand. This thread is not for Gradius, nor is it for Dr. Mario nor Space Harrier, and it sure as fucking balls isn't for Twinky JRPG Bath House Buddies XVIII (great series actually). Even in my penitence, I expect you to continue demonstrating the same good sense which has led us this far!

(・`ω´・)

( ・`ω`・)>⌐■-■

(■`ω´■)

And I trust that you will.

Regs Dr. Biruford

---

Look out for the second exciting chapter in the ongoing saga, "Dr. Biruford Goes To School," its riveting sequel "Dr.Biruford In Prison," and the emotional finale slated for next fall: "The Wintry Gravestone of Biru."
Skykid

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Skykid »

I know, had a look myself. Slightly imprecise wording! Just went for a spin up to st4 with no heart containers bought - stayed at three the whole time. You heal one heart per stage segment, unlike US/EU, but otherwise JP is exactly the same.
Ok that's what I figured. Honestly, that one heart regain between levels would make a lot of difference on the EU/US. I just went for the straight 1CC and not a 1LC, but you occasionally get fucked by the jumping gauntlet (especially on 2-2s rejigged death trap) and regaining two potential hits back per interim, which amounts to two whole hearts if there's a boss stage, would legitimately make it easier to clear.

That said I quite like the EU/US's slightly more stringent difficulty, and managed to take few enough hits to make hearts count across 3 sections without having to purchase any at all. Pretty sure I had lives in stock on completion too, so it's not that tough overall, regardless of region.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, it's not an especially hard game. A rewarding one for sure - the precision platforming element is killer.

I wouldn't call it a very notable case as far as regional differences go, either - when it's mostly down to a varying damage allowance, I tend to find that a bit artificial. If I really like a game, I'm going to eventually aim for as authoritative a run as possible - until then, either I'm taking too many hits and dying (hard ver), or taking too many hits and turning in a shitty clear (easy ver). Neither are what I want. Castlevania: Bloodlines Expert versus Vampire Killer Expert is a very similar case. You can take a few more biffs in VK, but if you really need to, you're frankly not playing very well (pretty badly, actually, given that game's powerdown mechanic). Meanwhile, if you can ace VK, BL won't faze.

Obviously a dramatically harsher scale can be transformative - see NGIII+CVIII (loop)'s zako taking huge bloody chunks of lifebar. Even there, though, the scale is only one change among many. It's the calculatedly crueller stage layouts that make both of these such notable examples, and so coveted in my case. If they simply slapped me harder when I made a mistake, I'd just get to work on pwning the FC versions (fine games both, but they lack the sheer resistance and venom I like in this mode of 2D action).
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Been trying to clear Final Fight 2 with Haggar (the only one remaining), but it's been a pretty uphill battle. I've managed to reach the 4th stage's boss (and lost there) so far.

I'm much more geared towards the speedy characters (not just in movement speed, but also basic combo speed), and playing with Haggar requires a different playstyle than what I'm used to, so I pretty much suck for now.

I'm guessing that the Piledriver plays an important role when playing with him, and getting a Piledriver combo going is the way to play (grab a guy, jump towards the enemy group and piledrive, get close to another guy & grab him, repeat -- or thereabouts), but I find it mildly tough to get used to this.

And the one thing I'm disappointed with Haggar, is that he doesn't have a stun jump attack (Jump+Down+Attack), so it just makes it more difficult to approach enemies for the grab. You can use the short stun that enemies receive after you punch them to approach and grab them, but these stun frames are pretty slim, so you need to be really close (this game is nowhere as forgiving as SOR in this regard).

But then again, I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to Haggar (or overall, for that matter), so if this sounds like noob talk, I apologize -- it probably is. :lol:

On the bright side, and this applies to the game in general, Haggar no longer has the random habit of releasing enemies after you grab them, which plagued the original game and many of its ports.
FF2 also suffers nearly no slowdown, unlike FF1 (SFC), but I suspect this may be due to this game having very little items/weapons at once at any given time, which happened a lot in FF1 -- besides there being less barrels & items on the stages, the lack of the knife throwing El Gados (& family) also helps.

Also, the i-frames for bosses, when they get up (after a knockdown) are more akin to the original, arcade game, and quite a bit less than FF1 (SFC). I must hand it to Vludi, those bloated i-frames on the original's SFC and GBA ports, are decidedly more detrimental to the boss fights' (and by extension, the game's) fun factor, than I gave them credit for.

I'm also enjoying the soundtrack more and more as I play, and I must admit that initially, I didn't really care for it.
I also have to admit that, at first, I didn't really think that FF1's soundtrack was anything special either, but I had just come from the SOR series, so I think I have a slight excuse. :mrgreen:
BIL wrote:Thus, I am legitimising the previously unofficial beltscrolling and topdown action strands of the thread, with the long-standing acceptance of single-screeners to be taken as implicit (OBVIOUSLY LMAO - do you even MSX2 Akumajou Dracula, noobs?).
It's good that beat-em-ups finally have a proper place to call home (and top-down action misc, of course). :wink:

-----

And, by the way:
BIL wrote:In truth I don't even own a bunker...
This part really cracked me up. :lol:
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

I remember Haggar having kinda sluggish controls in Final Fight 2, in the first game he is very smooth to play, his jump+down+attack is awesome if you ask me.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Vludi wrote:I remember Haggar having kinda sluggish controls in Final Fight 2, in the first game he is very smooth to play, his jump+down+attack is awesome if you ask me.
I have little playtime with Haggar, especially on FF1, but the one thing that struck me the most, was him randomly dropping enemies after grabbing them.

Is his Body Slam (Jump+Down+Attack) on FF1 a knockdown (like in FF2) or is it a standard stun attack?
Mind you, I'm not saying the attack is bad, it's just that I'm used to performing the jump-stun attack to initiate a grab (with the other characters), and I miss it with Haggar. But then again, I suck playing as him. :lol:

Since I'm used to the faster characters, I tend to use their faster standard combos and jump+stun to grab and throw, but I find this harder to do with Haggar, and once again, no jump+stun. I guess I need some time to adapt to playing differently with him (more piledriver/jump kicks, less standard combo).
Another habit I need to lose when using Haggar, is to not delay using the piledriver (after jumping) otherwise he won't use it (if you press the attack button after he starts descending). This comes from the habit of delaying the jump+stun, so that you hit them as you're falling near them, so that in turn you can grab them while they're in hitstun. I tend to screw this up quite a bit when doing the piledriver.

It is a shame that the piledriver does so little damage against bosses (in FF2, at least). It feels really awesome to use it against them. :wink:
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

BIL wrote:Thus, I am legitimising the previously unofficial beltscrolling and topdown action strands of the thread
The pedant in me thinks they should be separate threads, but w/e
If it's going to be a thing, then I am going to make a "suggest me stuff plz" request! I've been in the mood for some overhead melee action, but most of the games that I know of like that are Zelda-likes. I think the only linear top-down melee games I've played are Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban and The Red Star (which is ~%50 shooting anyways). Though, if you know of any adventure type games with more elaborate combat than the usual Zelda-like (such as Beyond Oasis), I'm interested in that, too!
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Here's a few. I'm listing some, most likely, obvious ones, along with some that might not be exactly what you want (though they are top down action games).

Zelda-like (Adventure-style, RPG elements):

Seiken Densetsu (SFC) -- AKA Legend Of Mana, and sequels
Secret Of Evermore (SFC) -- Same engine as Seiken Densetsu, similar gameplay
Neugier - Umi To Kaze No Kodou (SFC) -- one of the more akin to Zelda, developed by Telenet/WolfTeam (EN patch available)
Brain Lord (SFC) -- Sort of a spinoff of a SFC RPG 7th Saga/Elnard
Soul Blazer/Illusion Of Gaia/Terranigma (SFC) -- All fun, the first being a bit more stiff than the rest
Brandish series (PC98/SFC/etc) -- By Falcom, has the odd quirk of rotating the world around your character instead of your character rotating to match the direction you press (something like the overhead levels in Contra 3, if the direction buttons behaved like the shoulder buttons)

More to the arcade side (not so many RPG/adventure elements, if any):

Zombies Ate My Neighbours & Ghoul Patrol (SFC/MD) -- Perhaps not quite what you want, but pretty fun top-down action games
Arcus Odyssey (MD) -- More of the arcade-style variety, top-down action. Mostly isometric.
Dungeon Explorer (PCE, PCECD) -- Similar to Gauntlet, but with some overarching plot/overworld. Honestly, the 1st isn't that good, not sure about the 2nd. They seem more geared to multiplayer than singleplayer.

You mentioned Beyond Oasis, so I assume you also know of its sequel for the Saturn (The Legend of Oasis).
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^Alcahest is zelda like, but *very* arcadey. Few puzzles and exploration here, but it's actually a (somewhat lengthy) stage based arcade gauntlet, based around 1cc's. Has a bit of signature HAL Laboratory surprisingly brutal impact and violence on some specials, and gorgeous ost.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:I've been in the mood for some overhead melee action, but most of the games that I know of like that are Zelda-likes. I think the only linear top-down melee games I've played are Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban and The Red Star (which is ~%50 shooting anyways). Though, if you know of any adventure type games with more elaborate combat than the usual Zelda-like (such as Beyond Oasis), I'm interested in that, too!
Gauntlet Dark Legacy, controls set to ROBOTRON mode, auto-aim OFF, auto-attack OFF. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Squire Grooktook wrote:^^^Alcahest is zelda like, but *very* arcadey. Few puzzles and exploration here, but it's actually a (somewhat lengthy) stage based arcade gauntlet, based around 1cc's. Has a bit of signature HAL Laboratory surprisingly brutal impact and violence on some specials, and gorgeous ost.
I've been wondering about this one for a while, so thanks for the recommendation. It'll make a nice addition to my list of hidden Super Famicom classics.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Alcahest, one of (too) many games I've bought on eBay over the years, and never received :(
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: You guys ever play Startropics? Gremlins 2 really helped satisfy me when I was looking for more top down games of that style. The first Startropics game has a cute plot, unique and interesting tropical setting... and controls clunky as all hell. Movement often feels even stiffer than the original Legend of Zelda. But then bam, you get the sequel which has a cheesy, far less interesting story, but controls so silky smooth that it plays like an absolute dream in the dungeon sequences (responsive 360 degree control like Gremlins 2).

We really need a third Startropics game with the plot and setting quality of the first one combined with the gameplay of the second.
I posted about Startropics very recently in the "what are you playing but not a shmup" thread, as I felt it didn't fit in here at all, but no one commented on it :P
Short story of it, I had never played the game before for some reason (despite sitting in my collection for probably decades), and I was extremely surprised at how great it was. Like, really, really, really fucking great. The gameplay is so well thought out and creative, and it plays fantastically, as one of the best examples of an "action puzzle" game I have seen. It might be considered sacrilege, but I consider it a way better game than the first Zelda.

Also, in extension of that, I will allow myself to strongly disagree with what you said about the controls, and the sequel! The first game controls absolutely perfectly for what the game is designed around. Every room is a puzzle, and the tile-based and completely bufferable movement makes every move in the game possible to pull off every time with pixel precision, as long as you are prepared for what you need to do - and that makes even "action challenges", such as simply fighting enemies, into quite a puzzle by itself.

The sequel, however, completely ruins all of that. Sure, it's easy to say that it controls "better", because you can move freely between tiles on the grid, and even walk diagonally. But that also makes the game much less predictable, and the controls end up feeling cumbersome as a result. In the first game you will pretty much never miss a jump over a set of tiles over water, because there is only one way to perform the jump. In the second game, I bet you probably missed a bunch of them and felt you shouldn't have. Sure this kind of "precision control" might work in another more action oriented game, but Startropics 2 really doesn't do anything to play like that. Rather they even leave in a few of the old control quirks that now feel much more awkward in this context, such as having to "turn" shortly before walking in another direction. Eventually, the game also loses almost all of the puzzles that really helped shake things up and made every dungeon amazingly unique in the old game, and ended up with mostly "kill all enemies in the room to proceed" style challenges, which gets really old throughout the game. It doesn't help that most enemies are just reskins of others you've already fought many times.

Startropics 2 is not a bad game, it's just nowhere near to the incredible game the first one was.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I really need to buy Arcus Odissey for my Genny, game seems badass. Cool weapons and great music.
Also, laser-shooting pet scorpion

https://youtu.be/e6k2sNreHhI?t=39m
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Arcus Odyssey looks pretty badass, but I got extremely disappointed with it when I finally got it. I don't really remember why, it just wasn't fun to me. It's also extremely difficult. As far as I remember you pretty much need to avoid all combat that's not absolutely necessary, so having an exact route throughout each stage feels like it's not just preferred, but pretty much necessary.

I got the SNES version though, it might be different. I could imagine tiny gameplay adjustments making a pretty big difference in this game. It looks the same from videos though.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Interesting, Sumez. Have you played with the whip lady by any chance? It thought that looked fun. Good range too, and goes through walls
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:The pedant in me thinks they should be separate threads, but w/e
There actually is at least one dedicated beltscroller thread here in OT, and I seem to recall a "genealogy of topdown shooting" one from aeons back, too.

This thread is by no means intended to replace such things, it's still the R2RKMF & Friends show (that's "Run To The Right Killing Motherfuckers"). I've mulled over starting a topdown one, but I'm more into K-type parenting with my threads. :wink:
I've been in the mood for some overhead melee action, but most of the games that I know of like that are Zelda-likes. I think the only linear top-down melee games I've played are Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban and The Red Star (which is ~%50 shooting anyways).
I recently took a shine to Ikari III (FC). If you can pardon the incongruous fisticuffin' in wartime concept, it's a fine topdown brawling rampage (HEADCANON - these motherfuckers are broke as shit, hence their wacky "ransom the president's daughter" plot! Meanwhile Ralf and Clark's gear was in their tank that got blowed up by the last of the enemy's missiles, sheeeit!). Like Guevara's FC port, which I suspect involved the same staff, its enemy waves and placements can feel a bit awkward at first (where are these cowardly cunts running off to before I can kill them?!) - but with a bit of replay and experimentation, it rapidly evolves into nonstop precision action. Excellently implemented A+B i-frame attack. Use it aggressively, wimps! Vault over would-be deadly attacks like st1 boss tank's ramming, and hit 'em from the back!

ALSO like Guevara (FC), it can initially be a little weird how 90% of the enemy is visually Random Green Guy, despite them having clearly distinct behaviours! (loiterer, hit n' runner, heavy bruiser who looks like friggin Raoh from HNK in the arcade ver, etc etc). HOWEVER just like Guevara, learning to spot exactly who you're dealing with becomes part of the fun. That cocky motherfucker striding in through his fleeing pussy pals? Yeah, watch out - that's BONES McGARRITY, the platoon's reigning bare-knuckle champ! He's gonna take eight solid blows before hitting the dirt, and he can dish 'em out too!

***WARNING WARNING WARNING***

There is one big caveat! The st2 ninja miniboss stinks up the joint with his repetitive, boring pattern! HOWEVER I am stepping in with an emergency solution, which I was saving for a larger review post, which got postponed because of IRL Bullshit! Pay attention!

1) hold onto that grenade you got a bit earlier (EASY to do, just jumpkick everyone)
2) Do this when you reach him:

Spoiler

JOB DONE. I wonder if that was SNK's plan all along? Good job fuckers, I'd REALLY hate having to sit through this silly cunt every time otherwise!

Just like Guevara, it matures into a nice little 1CC/1LC gauntlet. Not quite as cutting-edge brilliant a topdown brawler as Guevara is a topdown run/gun, but damn good regardless! And on that bombshell! BONUS HG101 CHAIR SHOT
HG101 wrote:However, the Japanese Famicom version only gives you three credits
Huh! Yeah, I could've swore it auto-booted me when I was credit-feeding to practice stage 5 that one time! I -
making it practically inpossible to complete.

"HOW CAN U B SO CRUEL" What the fu - Again, look you cunts! I swear I don't do this on purpose! I only moseyed over to HG101 after taking a liking to FC Ikari III, to do a bit of Casual Port Genealogy! Because when it comes to that stuff, they are superb! But yes, still - BAAAHAHAHAHA
Squire Grooktook wrote:^^^Alcahest is zelda like, but *very* arcadey. Few puzzles and exploration here, but it's actually a (somewhat lengthy) stage based arcade gauntlet, based around 1cc's. Has a bit of signature HAL Laboratory surprisingly brutal impact and violence on some specials, and gorgeous ost.
Aww sheeit! This is exactly what I wanna see. :cool: Onto the shortlist.
Last edited by BIL on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Oh yeah, I played it a couple months back, and was trying to recall the name of the game to post it, and it just happens that it was this game. It is pretty sweet indeed, though it really has a penchant for the warp tiles (or jump tiles, in this case). The NPC partners also make it even better.

Another game I forgot about is Addams Family Values (SFC).
Although just looking at the name, you'd expect a shitty licensed mess, it's actually a pretty nice game, and very Zelda-like. Worth a look at least.

By the way, I wasn't sure if you (mamboFoxtrot) wanted 8-bit games as well, but here's a few others.

Esper Dream & Sequel (FDS/FC) -- By Konami. While they are more like RPGs at heart, and enemy battle take place in a different map (like an RPG, but instead of random enemies, they appear on-screen, and you'll enter a battle if you touch them), they are pure action battles, much like Zelda, etc, so also worth a look. The sequel is better.
Ai Senshi Nicol (FDS) -- Also Konami, top-down action, similar to Blaster Master's on-foot areas, but more refined
Golvellius (SMS) -- By Compile. Decent game as well, with some vertical shooting sections in-between
Grand Master (FC) -- A bit rough around the edges, but pretty fun nonetheless. You keep your EXP/Level when you die, so even if you can't beat each level on 1 sitting, it gets easier with each continue.
Sumez wrote:Arcus Odyssey looks pretty badass, but I got extremely disappointed with it when I finally got it. I don't really remember why, it just wasn't fun to me. It's also extremely difficult. As far as I remember you pretty much need to avoid all combat that's not absolutely necessary, so having an exact route throughout each stage feels like it's not just preferred, but pretty much necessary.
It certainly is a bit rough around the edges.
The game is pretty geared towards ranged attacks, as even the sword character, whom you'd expect to use close-range slashes, just sends some slash-like projectiles from his sword.
They also put the shield & attack on the same button (press for attack, hold for shield), which doesn't help.
The attack gets some lag, and takes a bit to come out (especially noticeable on the whip character), and while the shield is nice (it blocks most things, I believe, even close range attacks), you lose the ability to move when using it, and since they share a button, you need to choose to either attack or block.
Worse, even if you attempt to block enemy projectiles, so that you can close in for the kill, they usually throw them in such quick succession, that you can't avoid getting hit if you intend to kill them (though NPC partners can help with this, like the homing magic dude on Stage 2).

There's also no reward whatsoever for destroying enemies, other than getting score. But since enemies will respawn immediately after you scroll the screen a bit, score is pretty irrelevant anyway.
Also mildly annoying, is that while there are healing items scattered on each stage, you can't hold them, and they're used as soon as you pick them up (whether you need them or not), something which also happens in Grand Master (FC). The worst part of it, is that you can't tell what a treasure chest contains until you pick it up, or know in advance, from previous playthroughs.

Its isometric, dark-age themed action, does remind me of Data East's Dark Seal series (well, the 2 games in the series).
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Wow, thanks for the responses, guys!
__SKYe wrote:You mentioned Beyond Oasis, so I assume you also know of its sequel for the Saturn (The Legend of Oasis).
Yeah, but like Shinobi Legions, it's just a touch outside my usual game budget atm, and I've yet to bother trying out Saturn emulation.
Squire Grooktook wrote:Alcahest
Ah yeah, that game. I was trying to remember the name of it! I think I saw Macaw stream some of this. I'd made note of it and then forgot lol
Another game I'd made note of and forgot was Gaiaopolis (arcade). Looks like it could be good.
Which, speaking of arcade games, I remember now that I had tried Avengers on the Capcom Arcade Cabinet thing, but thought it was kind doofy. Maybe I should give it a second shot.
BIL wrote:I recently took a shine to Ikari III (FC). If you can pardon the incongruous fisticuffin' in wartime concept
War... has changed :shock:
__SKYe wrote:Data East's Dark Seal series
These look kind of interesting. Makes me think of Taito's Dungeon Magic for some reason, though I suppose they're closer to Gauntlet. I've never actually played any of the Gauntlet games, though. I guess I should fix that sometime soon.

- - - -

Out of curiosity, how many people here have played The Red Star (PS2)? Personally I like it quite a lot, with its Treasure-esque overload of mini-bosses and novel combination of bullet hell boss attacks and kinda DMC-lite combat controls and combos against mooks (or, at least, I can't think of any other game quite like it). There are some flaws, like 3D perspective (among other things) making your hitbox hard to ascertain is regrettable during some of the bullet patterns, the HP amount and refill frequency usually being pretty generous (and unfortunately no difficulty options other than EX, which just makes the game run faster), having to worry about the gun gauge when shooting bosses, and the usual beat 'em up problem that comboing droves of enemies can get repetitive at times. I also wish there was more than one boss that you used melee combos on.
If you like HARDCORE MOOK SMASHING, though, Kyuzo can skewer enemies and then either slam them against the ground like a gorilla with a suitcase, or go bowling and chuck them at other mooks. I need to make another attempt at beating the game with him -- I got murdered last time. Being a thicc boi in a world of bullet hell bosses is a hard life :(