Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Metal Slug Advance? It's much more akin to a console platform shooter than the arcade games, perhaps thanks to hardware limitations. It's still a good blast.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ghegs wrote:So, what should I use 'em with? For GBA I already got all the MMZ titles, Gunstar Super Heroes and both Klonoas
Ninja Five-O aka Ninja Cop is utterly, utterly superb. Non-JP release by Hudson, with ex-Konami staffers - plays like a seamless hybrid of Umihara Kawase's wirework, Shinobi's precision rescues and Elevator Action Returns' mild tactical stealth. Killer action game, killer time trial game. Your recommendation of the comparably great GB Bionic Commando got me into portable sidescrolling action, so I can only implore you to try it out. ;3

Double Dragon Advance is the definitive Technos brawler. Expertly refined, massively expanded remake of the original arcade game, by former Technos staff. This is the other GBA game I'd never be without.
for GB Ninja Ryukenden (beat it for the first time with GBI too), both Batman ROTJ and TAS, and Bionic Commando as well as its GBC sequel. Anything else I should be on the lookout for?
I was gonna suggest Batman TAS, really enjoyed my limited time with that one. :smile: It was reminding me of a Ninja Five-O prequel, actually.

It's topdown action, but I heartily suggest Totsugeki! Ponkotsu Tank aka Trax. Rugged tank shooter from HAL. For the love of god, make sure to tap the button when rotating the monodirectional turret - much quicker than holding it down. That minor hitch aside, this is one helluva good arcadey time. Best played with one life = one credit rules. Not too difficult even then, but credibly intense and ravenously destructive. No vehicle, building or tree is safe!

Contra is worth playing if you like the FC pair. Carves out its own place in the series with its native autofire and super-tight stage designs (forgive the silly st1 autoscroller - it makes up for it). Not a GB revelation ala Bionic Commando, but undeniable quality.

And almost entirely non-action, but Nintendo's puzzler Mole Mania is so good I can't not suggest it. Konami's bizarre, charming arcade roguelike Cave Noire also became a fast favourite of mine earlier this year, after many esteemed folks here vouched for it. Fair bit of text, but dead-simple to understand; there's a handy guide at GameFAQs that'll set you up.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BIL wrote:Ninja Five-O aka Ninja Cop is utterly, utterly superb. Non-JP release by Hudson, with ex-Konami staffers - plays like a seamless hybrid of Umihara Kawase's wirework, Shinobi's precision rescues and Elevator Action Returns' mild tactical stealth. Killer action game, killer time trial game. Your recommendation of the comparably great GB Bionic Commando got me into portable sidescrolling action, so I can only implore you to try it out. ;3
Should've mentioned that I actually used to own Ninja Cop, though there's a sad story behind it.

I bought it back when it was released and if memory serves, played through it in quick fashion and fiddled with the time trials a bit. At the time I was working at the customer service of a magazine publisher. In the same floor, not terribly far away, was the small office of a gaming magazine that was published every month. Eventually I got to talking with the guys there and got into friendly terms with them. Soon I even got a chance to write for the magazine, so I did and wrote a review of some game for them. Around this time I loaned the head editor my copy of Ninja Cop because it was awesome game and I wanted him to experience it as well.

The magazine with my review in it came out. It was pretty cool to see my name in there, I was a published gaming journalist 'n everything! There was even talk that I might get to go to E3 the next year.

Turns out that was the last issue ever released as the magazine was cancelled soon afterwards. The office naturally emptied and the staff went their separate ways. I did manage to get in touch with the head editor and ask for my game back, but he was in the middle of moving house at the moment and wasn't exactly sure where it was, but he'd get back to me.

He never did. :...(

Thanks for the other recommendations, I think I actually have the Contra one in a Konami GB Collection cart.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

Holy fuck. :( Sorry to hear that dude. I only learned about the game and got my copy years after the fact - no regrets, but it stung a bit! Good on you for trying to get the word out on a criminally undersung gem... I'd have been way too selfish even back in the day, haha.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

cave noire is another gameboy must have!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah, totally forgot to mention another recent favourite pickup - the very first Kirby (GB) has an excellent Hard mode, selectable from the get-go via code. (it's listed as the "bonus game" on that page). You can even use the secret config on the same page to make it a 1HKO game, but it's perfectly engaging on its own. It's one of those properly retooled Hard modes with trickier enemy behaviour, not just tweaked parameters - if you don't mind a cuter aesthetic, it's definitely worth a look for 2D action veterans. Don't bother with Normal, just plonk it on Hard. I've always liked this series but Super Star and this aside, they tend to make me a bit drowsy. Not unpleasingly so, I hasten to add! GB Kirby 1 Hard reminds me more of "constructive" action/platformers like Bio Miracle Upa and Mizubaku Daibouken. Adds a nice bit of pressure to the genially huff puffin' / face eatin' antics.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

my poll = rekt. lol

it's okay doe. I don't mind
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Might be a better fit for the console war thread. ;3
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

FinalBaton wrote:You know, yesterday after watching an episode from a YT gaming show that covered a Natsume game, I asked myself the question : what is my favourite 3rd party developper of the 8-bit and 16-bit eras?
Konami feels like the correct choice, but Natsume is the developer I most want to pick.
Ghegs wrote:So, what should I use 'em with? For GBA I already got all the MMZ titles, Gunstar Super Heroes and both Klonoas, for GB Ninja Ryukenden (beat it for the first time with GBI too), both Batman ROTJ and TAS, and Bionic Commando as well as its GBC sequel. Anything else I should be on the lookout for?
I'm not big on the GB but here are some titles I recommend:

Cave Noire - Fast-paced, simplified roguelike. It's on the shallow side, but makes up for it by being full of high-consequence action with very nearly no dead air. Second best portable roguelike after Shiren the Wanderer, I think.

Donkey Kong - Interesting puzzle platformer that puts on the appearance of being a remake of the arcade game, but ends up taking things in a completely different direction. Mario's acrobatic moveset is great.

For the Frog the Bell Tolls - Very humorous and charming adventure game. It looks like a Zelda clone, but it's really more of an adventure/puzzle game like a simplified version of the King's Quest series. One of the very few games I'd recommend playing for the story alone. The fan translation is excellent.

Little Magic - Lolo-style puzzle game. There's an SFC version with the same puzzles and a better FOV, but worse graphics. It's good!

Megaman V - The previous four GB Megaman games feature NES robot masters in new levels, but in this one both the bosses and stages are all new. They're all worth trying if you like Megaman but I think this is the best of the five.

Survival Kids - Turn-based exploration/adventure game about surviving on a deserted island. Best played unspoiled.

I think the only must-have GBA games are the Megaman Zero series, but you already know about them.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Vanguard wrote:Little Magic - Lolo-style puzzle game. There's an SFC version with the same puzzles and a better FOV, but worse graphics. It's good!
Now how did you know I'm a sucker for Sokoban-type games. I do believe I need to track this down. I used to have Kwirk as a kid, what happened to that cart...
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Quite a few great games on GBA, unfortunately it's super light on hidden gems. I guess it didn't last long enough to get them, cause the DS is loaded with them.

I'd say though that I definitely prefer Astro Boy to Gunstar Super Heroes, and other good action games are obviously the Castlevanias, with Circle of the Moon being the only one with genuine challenging gameplay. I also really recommend picking Metroid Zero Mission.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Ah yes, the GBA is a weird system, because you'd think it has a huge pool of exclusive titles to satisfy the tastes of arcade-grown gamers into glorious 2D, whereas in reality it really doesn't have that much on offer.

What I consider essential:

On the platforming end of things:
- Drill Dozer
- Klonoa: Empire Of Dreams
- Klonoa G2: Dream Champ Tournament
- Metal Slug Advance
- Ninja Cop / Ninja Five-O
- Sonic Advance 1, 2, and 3

The Treasure trio of:
- Advance Guardian Heroes
- Astro Boy
- Gunstar Super Heroes
...the first being the best, the last the least essential.

The Metroidvanias:
- Metroid Fusion
- Metroid Zero Mission
- Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
...to which I'd add the two Shaman King: Master of Spirits games, as they're basically just AoS with different assets.

- Gradius Generation — really the only exclusive shooter worth bothering with
- Double Dragon Advance — the best of all versions of the game
- F-Zero Climax
- the three Fire Emblem games
- The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap
- Bit Generations: Soundvoyager — incredibly innovative and interesting concept
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Interesting Treasure hierarchy. I would have put:

Astro Boy
Gunstar Super Heroes
Advance Guardian Heroes

In that order instead. I really feel AVG is kind of a shitty game, whereas Astro Boy is incredibly underrated (probably because of its unusual structuring).
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

God damn, Dragon Fighter's Hard mode is brilliant. With the recent talk of it and Natsume, thought I'd finally give it a shot - was soundly hooked, and just had to record a quick demo clear. Although the access code is hidden at the game's final screen (AAAA, BBBB, AB AB AB AB at the title screen - copyright turns red to confirm), this should be regarded as its default difficulty. For although the collective tweaks don't sound too dramatic on paper...

-faster projectiles
-revenge bullets while in Dragon mode
-no item drops whatsoever

...the pincers of upped enemy firepower and grueling endurance put the sword, shot and flight mechanics under transformative pressure; the sort that pushes a solid game over the line into real excellence. A brisk, relentless synergy of hack/slash and charge/blast, supported by Natsume's customarily airtight craftsmanship.

Recommended now as before, with added emphasis that this is not a junior member of Natsume's hardcore sidescrolling action trio. Occupies and excels in a rougher-edged slash/blast domain, entirely distinct from Kage's exacting ninja technique and Solbrain's gymnastic rigours.

Various little things I want to note:

-The swordbox and general sword handling is so damn good, it reminds me of what Konami would accomplish two generations later in SOTN. Try wrapping it from one direction/stance to the other, you'll get what I mean. Not just for show - it'll save your ass when you're surrounded! A more contemporaneous example would be Spartan X.

-A little bizarrely, but happily nonetheless, the swordbox covers directly overhead for a quasi-upthrust; leaping to intercept a would-be ambusher quickly became second nature. Very helpful in st1's harshly plunging troughs.

-Revenge bullet spawning is actually determined by your human/dragon status; if you slash something, then transform while its dying explosion is onscreen, watch out! The converse is also true; shoot something then quickly transform to seal its parting shot. Easily done on both counts with the ultra-smooth transform mechanic.

-You can transform out of the tiniest hop, just hold [up].

-You can't transform while in hitstun. I really like this - rather than getting smacked and casually whipping out the Dragon card, you need to deal with or distance yourself from the threat.

-As Imhotep noted, transforming doesn't cost any meter. You can and should be very aggressive with the split-second transform/shoot/return approach.

-You don't get meter for charge shot or Dragon kills... however, nailing a hard target with shot, then finishing them off with sword is perfectly ok.

-The final stage's main shot doesn't like autofire, and you don't need to mash the button either. A sensibly restrained tapping rate will get you the max damage output. Quoth Metal Black Cat:

Imhotep wrote:I was surprised, however, to find a code at the "END" screen after waiting for a few minutes (4xA, 4xB, 4xA,B). After input at the title screen, the game changes to hard mode:
Oh my god. Image I love you.
TIMES TWO ^o^
CIT wrote:- Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
...to which I'd add the two Shaman King: Master of Spirits games, as they're basically just AoS with different assets.
Oh wow, I had no idea re: Shaman King. Thought they'd be card games or something, haha. Will have to give those a look! I was wondering about Drill Dozer - it sounded great from null's recent post in the "What Not Shmup" thread. Definitely on the shortlist now.
- Bit Generations: Soundvoyager — incredibly innovative and interesting concept
Good info - I've recently been curious about the BG set, but didn't really know where to start.
Last edited by BIL on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Was just watching your run BIL, actually :lol:
BIL wrote:-You can't transform while in hitstun. I really like this - rather than getting smacked and casually whipping out the Dragon card, you need to deal with or distance yourself from the threat.
I love this. one has got to deal with the consequences of one's carelessness! Learn to prevent hits, or be damned!
BIL wrote:-As Imhotep noted, transforming doesn't cost any meter. You can and should be very aggressive with the split-second transform/shoot/return approach.
Was just about to say : love your use of the transformation. Lots of very short uses, just to dodge a projectile/enemy that's getting too close for comfort
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks bud. :mrgreen:
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Back playing Hard Corps Uprising after coming across iconoclast's video. It's a game I really want to clear. One of my favs.

I also bought Metal Slug Anthology on the PS4 but something seems....off about it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but after some googling I discovered this port is affected by lag. A real shame.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I did not want to post about this one before I spend more time playing it, but seeing the same few GBA titles listed about every time the platform is being mentioned, at least one GBA sidescroller I can name seems actually hidden rather than commonly "known" as such.
Bruce Lee: Return of the Legend appears to do little wrong at first glance. Most strikingly, the movie-like presentation is highly reminiscent of Amiga days (thinking of Cinemaware here). This doesn't warrant any good gameplay of course, but at least the impression of controlling a nineteen-seventies' film in real time on a GBA is worth experiencing at least once.
BIL wrote:Ah, totally forgot to mention another recent favourite pickup - the very first Kirby (GB) has an excellent Hard mode, selectable from the get-go via code. (it's listed as the "bonus game" on that page).
Oughtta give it a go, many thanks!
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

It's been a while, just a few additions to the already mentioned GBA games.

The Shaman King: MOS games are indeed pretty nice, though I wouldn't say they're quite up to pair with Castlevania: AoS. The Legacy Of Spirits game(s) is a Pokemon-esque RPG, somewhat decent, but not much to say about it (and yes, I've cleared it :lol: ).

There a Kiki Kaikai game, which is pretty nice. Wario Land 4 is fun as well.

A Metroidvania, but with isometric view: Scurge Hive.
It's very obviously based on Metroid, and is kinda weird to get used to at first (precisely due to the isometric view), but it's pretty fun either way.

For Metal Slug-style games, you have the CT Special Forces series, which, although aren't as good, do provide some entertainment value. If in doubt, go for the 2nd or 3rd game, and they are smoother on the gameplay area.

The Boktai series. Very nice isometric gameplay with stealth mechanics (designed by Hideo Kojima) as well. You're also ranked after each stage, arcade-like, so there's some replay value as well.

For beat-em-ups, besides the already mentioned Double Dragon Advance, there's also Final Fight One.

Also, another series that I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone, despite the obviously kid-ish plot/feel, is the MegaMan: Battle Network series. It is the best combination of a card & action genres I've ever played, and these games have fantastic boss battles (their main draw, really).
If you have to choose one, go for the 3rd game, as it is the one I personally believe to have the best bosses overall. Also, do fight the optional bosses (the 'beta' versions of the regular navis, and especially Bass and the whole Undernet optional quest).

Oh, and not exactly in the 'action' category, but one game I really enjoyed noetheless, is Rhythm Tengoku. It has very lovable music and characters, and in my opinion, it's much more enjoyable than the Warioware stuff.

Also, it's been mentioned here before, and it's a compilation rather than an exclusive, but the Konami Arcade Game Collection is one of the (if not *the*) best classic compilations on the GBA. It contains Frogger, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Rush N' Attack, Scramble, Gyruss and Time Pilot.
Although the ports obviously suffer from the reduced resolution (especially the STGs), they're still pretty fun to play nonetheless.

And finally, do play Drill Dozer. It has an awesome gameplay (and it has rumble, it you play in a real cart, much like Pokemon Pinball) and adorable characters/graphics/music. The main quest is not too hard, but some of the optional treasures (the ones you get on the buyable, extra maps) are bloody hard to get. I have yet to get all the treasures on this game.
Also, it has the most fantastic final boss finale, of every video game, ever. One has to see (and play) it to believe. 8)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I played like an hour or of of Drill Dozer and definitely didn't get into it. It was pure untinteresting plot stuff going on forever and just a bunch of tutorials. No real gameplay or challenges at all through that period, and I just got fed up with it...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Leviathan wrote: I also bought Metal Slug Anthology on the PS4 but something seems....off about it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but after some googling I discovered this port is affected by lag. A real shame.
This is why I went for the ACA NeoGeo version of Metal Slug instead. It's just the original Metal Slug, but the emulation is much better.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Sumez wrote:I played like an hour or of of Drill Dozer and definitely didn't get into it. It was pure untinteresting plot stuff going on forever and just a bunch of tutorials. No real gameplay or challenges at all through that period, and I just got fed up with it...
I admit that the first few stages are a bit boring (with the mandatory tutorials and all) and totally linear, but in its defense, the game does pick up as you progress through it.
As far as plot goes, it isn't anything too interesting, which isn't really anything new, given that it is a Game Freak game after all (aimed at the same crowd as the Pokemon games). I do find the graphics and music really adorable, and that they really fit the game.

I did have a great time with it, and as I said before, it gets better as you play through it, though I can't say you'll enjoy it anymore than you do now. :wink:
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Drill Dozer goes beyond linear. Not only is there only one path through the levels, the one path is organized so you have to jump on this exact block and then drill through that exact wall with no for deviation. I thought the graphics and controls and characters and what have you were all nice, but it's hard for me to appreciate a game very much when the whole thing is just following orders without making any decisions of my own. The final boss is really great from a cinematic perspective, but mechanically it's nothing special.

There was one level I really liked though. It's one of the optional bonus levels. The whole thing was a bunch of little floating ledges above a bottomless pit, and you couldn't stand on them, you had to grip them with your drill and jump from one to the other. It was built linear like the rest of the game, but since there were no walls you could make daring leaps of faith and potentially shortcut through a few parts.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Been avoiding "8 Eye's" for a while due to how bad everyone always says it is, but I finally dared popping it in yesterday.

.... and holy crap is it horrible! I absolutely love the theme and atmosphere, but everything related to combat is as incompetent as it gets. I would have loved to see what they could have done with this game if it actually played like the Castlevania game it looks like.

But to its credit, I think I definitely played it wrong, trying to play it like a Castlevania game. It seems like you need to tackle it more like some sort of Dark Souls, taking great care with each minor enemy, baiting their attacks and retreating to counter-attack. That's interesting, for sure, but I'm not sure it works. Alternatively it seems it also works to just stride straight through every opponent since you start out with a huge life bar, anyway. Either way, it's almost hilariously broken.

Bonus question: Did SETA ever manage to make a good game?
I'm probably gonna give Nosferatu a second chance some time soon.
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

Yes, 8 Eyes is definitely not the most well rounded or accessible effort.
But it's playable and satisfying once you make some progress.
What finally convinced me to spend more time with it is that after every bossfight you are having tea with the defeated boss, served by a skeleton. I quite adore that bit.
land for man to live, sea for machine to function.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yes, that is extremely classy, and one of those funny quirks that makes me adore Seta's typically more than horribly flawed attempts at creating games.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I rented that game when I was a kid but I haven't played it since...

I remember liking it solely because you had an eagle buddy. lol. and I liked the visuals in the game. The game's charm probably blinded me. I'm sure it's not a greatly designed game. the "sword" they give you (more like a butter knife AMIRITE) has a ridiculously short range, all enemies have better range than you do.

It can probably be enjoyed in the right hands though. I will probably pick it up due to nostalgia. I'm curious to see if I'll be enjoying it now as an adult.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's pretty much the defining factor of the game. If you just try to stab your enemies Castlevania-style each and everyone will attack you before they move within range of your own attack, which seems very deliberate, but surprisingly counter-intuitive when you're used to NES-style action games. Your attack can also cancel projectiles fired your way, which I only discovered by watching videos of the game, and it's pretty much the only way to possibly dodge them. I will have to return to it with this newfound knowledge.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I know I'm in fine company when those post-stage cups of tea are getting praise. :smile: So cool. But by the same token, the game is such a waste of a cool Arabesque aesthetic. 3; I revisited it recently myself, hoping that perhaps I'd missed something. Alas, no luck.

I'm used to wrangling the best out of an unfriendly game. I recently reviewed the last few months' posts, having some free time, and realised I should've stressed something to kitten re: NG1. To me, a good action game tends to be something in need of unpicking, and hammering into shape for a decent run. She wasn't wrong to say NG1 isn't very user-friendly or intuitive - I should've made it clearer that I don't consider that a problem. I don't mind getting knocked on my ass or smacked around a bit while learning the ropes, and gradually bringing a game under my control. All part of the sadomaso fun to me! (within reason - obviously there's such a thing as blatantly shoddy design, ala Ninja Spirit's 7-2 pit or Dynamite Batman's 3-1 snowfield, or objectively flawed mechanics ala Holy Diver's input woes)

The tacit understanding here is, there has to be something in it for me. A bad game is one that gives nothing in return. As much as I like Dahna [MD]'s aesthetic and earlier stages, it became clear in the lategame that the design simply wasn't sound, so I had to part with it. More recently, Double Dragon [FC] hung in the balance while I figured out if the Mission 4-1 wall was truly a lottery - happily for me, it wasn't. I'm not quite ready to toss 8 Eyes in the reject pile, but it's about 90% of the way there. Just feels thoughtlessly clunky.

Thinking Rabbit's logo is shaweet though.

Also, Seta did bring us Twin Eagle and its ROCKIN' boss vocal track. Makes my mullet blaze. Image
Last edited by BIL on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Even if 8 Eye's' (I really wanted to spell that out) combat system turns out to have some merit, sadly the stage designs themselves seem to be completely mindless and boring, with little to no variation between the supposed locales. :\