Flak Attack/MX5000 [Arcade]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Flak Attack/MX5000 [Arcade]

Post by Perikles »

Likewise available for some other platforms if I'm not mistaken. This one suffers from potential milking quite a bit (I don't even know when bosses time out, heck, if), but I feel magnanimous today and shall create this thread, too. I don't know how MX5000 differs from Flak Attack, please say something if you happen to know. For now I'd like to keep track of the specific version (that is, if someone will even submit a score). This brings us to the format of this thread:

Name - Score - Stage - Version

Code: Select all

Name                 Score     Stage     Version    
1. Perikles            654,400    2-ALL   Flak Attack      
2. DEL                 298,000    1-ALL   Flak Attack (1-loop version?!)
Last edited by Perikles on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Perikles

Re: Flak Attack/MX5000 [Arcade]

Post by Perikles »

Perikles - 608,300 - 9/2-4 - Flak Attack

Video

Too bad the 2-4 and 2-5 bosses are so awkward/resilient, recovery is simply out of the question and sitting through the entire game for just another chance is not exactly a thrilling perspective. I guess that a no-miss 2-ALL score might be even lower than this one. :mrgreen:
DEL

Post by DEL »

I used to complete Flak Attack in the arcades. It always ended at 1 loop. Was I playing a 1 loop version? Or are there conditions for entering a second loop?

My 1 loop Hi Sc was 298,000

Cheers
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

That is quite the enigma. There is definitely no condition for regular Flak Attack, I also just checked MX5000 which behaves just the same in that regard. I've never read anything to the contrary, either. :o I made a note in the "version" field for now, maybe we can solve this mystery at some point in time. Out of curiosity: do you remember what happened after you beat the loop? You shouldn't be able to see the credits/ending after loop 1, it immediately goes to the second loop, only after clearing both loops there should be this sequence. Is there perhaps some setting that allows the player to skip the first or second loop?
DEL

Post by DEL »

Well, it was a long time ago back in the Golden Nuggget arcade in London's Soho. I 1CC'd Flak attack there several times and it always ended at the 1-ALL. So I can only figure it was a 1 loop version.
Would be good to find out about the diffrent versions as you say :o

Cheers :D
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles - 654,400 - 2-ALL - Flak Attack

Video

Inexplicably felt the need to finish this. Quite a dramatic 2-4 boss fight which is by far the hardest thing in this game, always puts me on edge. Also glad I had enough power after the death in 2-5 to battle the final boss, that one is not trivial, either. Always lovely to finish Konami games properly, even if the increase in score is minuscule (I would guess that the WR score took roughly five or six hours, I'm assuming it mainly consists of drawing out boss fights forever).

Still no clue on the 1-loop version, unfortunately.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Well done on the 2-ALL score Perikles.

A lot of prototype boards used to be in the London arcades. This Flak Attack board was probably one. It definitely used to finish at the 1-ALL. I remember 1-Alling it several times, and it always finished right there.