Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Unseen

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Unseen »

Link83 wrote:I'm curious to know if GCVideoLite also offers the "RGB Limited Range" option in the OSD settings like the HDMI version?
The RGB output of GCVideo lite is always full range, because I assumed that people would want to connect it to a VGA input which also uses full range.
Also can anybody tell me if GCvideo also supports a 640x480p output resolution, in addition to the default 720x480p I have seen in all the videos/screenshots?
No, that would result in a cropped image for a number of poplar games.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Unseen wrote:
Link83 wrote:I'm curious to know if GCVideoLite also offers the "RGB Limited Range" option in the OSD settings like the HDMI version?
The RGB output of GCVideo lite is always full range, because I assumed that people would want to connect it to a VGA input which also uses full range.
Ah I see, so since the SDK says:-
"Note that the range for Y is only 16<=Y<=235. This is in order to meet the requirements of the video encoder."
Does GCVideo Lite output limited range for YPbPr, and then convert/expand that to full range for RGB output? (SCART/VGA)

<EDIT>The GameCube's frame buffer color conversion in the SDK here:-
http://i.imgur.com/IOTjas1.png
Is labelled as an "RGB to YUV conversion"

However looking at the conversion formulas on this page:-
http://www.equasys.de/colorconversion.html
It doesnt appear to match their RGB to YUV conversion, but it does match the "RGB to YCbCr conversion"

I'm now a bit confused, should it be YUV or YCbCr?
Whats the correct formula needed to get RGB values from the digital YCbCr 4:2:2 data :?
Unseen wrote:
Link83 wrote: Also can anybody tell me if GCvideo also supports a 640x480p output resolution, in addition to the default 720x480p I have seen in all the videos/screenshots?
No, that would result in a cropped image for a number of poplar games.
Thanks for the info. I had thought the GameCube's default resolution was 640x448, but if the horizontal resolution can vary between 640 and 720 pixels then it makes sense for GCVideo to only output 720x480.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Link83 wrote:Does GCVideo Lite output limited range for YPbPr, and then convert/expand that to full range for RGB output? (SCART/VGA)
GCVideo Lite just outputs what it receives from the Gamecube in YPbPr mode, although with linear interpolation of the color channels to get 4:4:4 color from the 4:2:2 signal. If you consider that "limited range" then it is, although as far as I understand it there is no such thing as "full range YPbPr".
It doesnt appear to match their RGB to YUV conversion, but it does match the "RGB to YCbCr conversion"

I'm now a bit confused, should it be YUV or YCbCr?
It should be YCbCr (in the digital domain) or YPbPr (analog), but mis-labelling it as YUV is quite common.
Whats the correct formula needed to get RGB values from the digital YCbCr 4:2:2 data :?
It should be possible to derive the conversion matrices from Rec. 601, but I just took the values from Video Demystified.
buck1138

Post by buck1138 »

Hey Citrus, Any updates on your QSB for hdmi wii?

Also, I'd really like to do a gamecube hdmi mod using your two hdmi boards here...

https://oshpark.com/profiles/citrus3000psi/page/1

Can anyone help me out with a digi-key parts list for both hdmi boards? I really want an internal install and even though I know badassconsole does great work (he did my ultraHDMI and I love it) I really want an internal mod and love the layout of the boards citrus3000psi designed.
Instashot

Post by Instashot »

Hey guys. my GCvideo is acting odd.

I've tested it out on a Panasonic TH-37PH10 display which is considered a commercial display and it gives this odd red and blue hue.
Image'

The audio works fine and when tested on consumer televisions the picture works fine without any of the color issues seen above, why could this be?

Here is some technical info on the display, ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasonic/d ... PH10UK.pdf

Any help is appreciated.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

buck1138 wrote:Hey Citrus, Any updates on your QSB for hdmi wii?

Also, I'd really like to do a gamecube hdmi mod using your two hdmi boards here...

https://oshpark.com/profiles/citrus3000psi/page/1

Can anyone help me out with a digi-key parts list for both hdmi boards? I really want an internal install and even though I know badassconsole does great work (he did my ultraHDMI and I love it) I really want an internal mod and love the layout of the boards citrus3000psi designed.
No but I should next week. I've been in between homes as I've been moving. So pretty much all my projects came to a hault. I almost have my new project room back together. Be on the lookout for some updates for the wii. Pretty much confirming it works.

I also have a new design for the gamecube that I need to assemble and test. It offers an easier install over my existing design. So if you can hold off for a little bit longer I'll have that going soon.
thomas01

Post by thomas01 »

Trusting this advances as it is an incredible venture for the individuals who can't secure an official link.

I'm occupied with the SPDIF mod however, as I have been keen on having it accomplished for my Gamecube.
Quantum

Post by Quantum »

I was too impatient for citrus' redesign so I constructed and installed a gcvideo lite (ikorb's github) and it looks freakin' fantastic in RGB. I have a couple extra PCBs from oshpark if anyone needs em.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Hey, I haven't been following this thing for literally years at this point - What exactly is the current state?
Is it possible to just buy a straight up reproduction GameCube Component Cable yet?

From what I can make out, the GCVideo thing is an internal mod now? But there's also an external version coming?
All of these look like they have way more features etc than I really care about, I'm just looking for a total, no frills clone of the original component cable. Has anyone actually been doing these?

Thanks!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I'm not sure there will ever be a pure component cable version (unless the HD Retrovision guys decide to do one), since nobody is working on such a thing.

Today, options are HDMI/RGB/YPbPr via internal mods, and HDMI via external plug-and-play adapters. Zeldaxpro is the only person making external adapters at the moment, although I believe he may currently be sold out.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Damn, that's disappointing to hear.
Thanks for the quick reply though!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I believe that BadAssConsoles plans to offer YPbPr with his plug-and-play solution, so you'd be able to use that for a plug-and-play component solution.

Unfortunately, BAC is something like a year behind schedule and hasn't provided any public updates recently. Roughly three months ago, he said he'd be shipping internal boards in 2 weeks, and his plug-and-play solution in 6-8 weeks. It's been 12 weeks and as far as I know he hasn't shipped anything yet, internal or external. I'm hopeful that he's going to eventually come out with a great product and sell a ton of them, but he's really bad at communicating and estimating.
leonk

Post by leonk »

BAC also put up a web site that allowed past customers to cancel their order and get refund.

Still waiting on that refund!!!
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

What a shame. Is there anyone else besides Badass Consoles installing GCVideo?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

GeneraLight wrote:What a shame. Is there anyone else besides Badass Consoles installing GCVideo?
I got mine from citrus3000psi. He should be close to done with setting up after his move? (Chime in if you're here citrus!)
leonk wrote:BAC also put up a web site that allowed past customers to cancel their order and get refund.

Still waiting on that refund!!!
Wow that's ridiculous. I don't see how anyone could defend the guy at this point. He's handled all of this so laughably bad at every single step of the way.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

bobrocks95 wrote: I got mine from citrus3000psi. He should be close to done with setting up after his move? (Chime in if you're here citrus!)
I pretty much have my room setup (Except for like 5 boxes of misc wires/cables) but haven't started backup doing any electronic work yet. This is what I've been up to the past 3 weeks:

Installed an air injection water system to get rid of that well water sulfur smell.
Installed a 240 outlets for my air compressor and welders.
I'm in the middle of installing 450 feet of chainlink fence. :|
Also picked up a CRV a couple weeks ago and pressed in a new front bearings, replaced upper/lower ball joints and rear shocks along with fixing the drivers side window.

The chainlink is going to take some time, since its like 60 holes. But doing it myself I'm saving quite a bit. After the chainlink I'm building a mini barn/shed so I can get the mowers and such out of the garage. My race car is a garage only item and its currently taking up a space in my mom's garage.

This is just a fraction of what I've been doing lately. I stay busy all the time. I haven't played any video games in well over a year :( I keep saying I have a new design for GC-Video in the works, which I do. I'm not trying to make excuses on my delays/lack of updates, but just want everybody to know what I'm doing and where I'm at.

Sorry for the saga of my life. :D

I will see if I can't get my soldering iron in my hands this week/weekend. But can't make any promises.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

That's more than I'd get done in a year! Hope you find some time to rest, doing an entire fence like that alone sounds brutal.

Cool to hear the HDMI Wii mod working, looking forward to seeing if it closes the gap in sharpness with the GC component cable.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Gunstar wrote:That's more than I'd get done in a year! Hope you find some time to rest, doing an entire fence like that alone sounds brutal.

Cool to hear the HDMI Wii mod working, looking forward to seeing if it closes the gap in sharpness with the GC component cable.
The HDMI Wii mod will probably end up being sharper than component, even if you decide to convert it to analog for use with a CRT.
Blair

Post by Blair »

GeneraLight wrote:The HDMI Wii mod will probably end up being sharper than component, even if you decide to convert it to analog for use with a CRT.
Is that because some kind of filtering is going on?

I've noticed some Wii's have really bad component out no matter what cables are used (some of the colors always bleed).
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Jademalo wrote:Hey, I haven't been following this thing for literally years at this point - What exactly is the current state?
Is it possible to just buy a straight up reproduction GameCube Component Cable yet?

From what I can make out, the GCVideo thing is an internal mod now? But there's also an external version coming?
All of these look like they have way more features etc than I really care about, I'm just looking for a total, no frills clone of the original component cable. Has anyone actually been doing these?

Thanks!
I've had a Gamecube HDMI adapter for about a month now and it's incredible. It uses the digital port and runs everything over HDMI, crisp 480p video and digital audio. Done by Zeldaxpro, who you can order from by contacting him through his blog. I did a quick video showing the adapter. It's truly amazing and the picture is incredible. It looks better than my component cables. I'll link his blog underneath the video. I also just got a remote control that's compatible with it, which allows access to the OSD and video settings. I also have direct capture footage on my channel. It looks good, but YouTube doesn't seem to treat 480p with much love, so it looks waaaaaay better in person. This is the best purchase I've made for retro gaming in the last few years and couldn't be happier.

https://youtu.be/E9QFNzp_9p0

Blog here.

https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home/single-post/pnpgc2
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

GeneraLight wrote:
Gunstar wrote:That's more than I'd get done in a year! Hope you find some time to rest, doing an entire fence like that alone sounds brutal.

The HDMI Wii mod will probably end up being sharper than component, even if you decide to convert it to analog for use with a CRT.
This is what I'll be hoping to do, taking it back to analog so I can use it on a pc CRT.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Damn, that thing looks nice! I might have to pick one of those up as well, that would go nicely with the UltraHDMI...
I do still want a proper analogue output though, without all the frills. Just a straight up basic component cable clone, keep everything as clean and basic as possible. Not for the sake of cost, but for the sake of purity. I don't really care for fancy features on the analogue stage, I'm only ever interested in them on a digital stage.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

TooBeaucoup wrote:I've had a Gamecube HDMI adapter for about a month now and it's incredible. It uses the digital port and runs everything over HDMI, crisp 480p video and digital audio. Done by Zeldaxpro, who you can order from by contacting him through his blog. I did a quick video showing the adapter. It's truly amazing and the picture is incredible. It looks better than my component cables. I'll link his blog underneath the video. I also just got a remote control that's compatible with it, which allows access to the OSD and video settings. I also have direct capture footage on my channel. It looks good, but YouTube doesn't seem to treat 480p with much love, so it looks waaaaaay better in person. This is the best purchase I've made for retro gaming in the last few years and couldn't be happier.

Blog here.

Do you think that even through an HDMI-to-RGB converter, this would look as good as staight component coming from the GC?

I want to use this on a crt
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

FinalBaton wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:I've had a Gamecube HDMI adapter for about a month now and it's incredible. It uses the digital port and runs everything over HDMI, crisp 480p video and digital audio. Done by Zeldaxpro, who you can order from by contacting him through his blog. I did a quick video showing the adapter. It's truly amazing and the picture is incredible. It looks better than my component cables. I'll link his blog underneath the video. I also just got a remote control that's compatible with it, which allows access to the OSD and video settings. I also have direct capture footage on my channel. It looks good, but YouTube doesn't seem to treat 480p with much love, so it looks waaaaaay better in person. This is the best purchase I've made for retro gaming in the last few years and couldn't be happier.

Blog here.

Do you think that even through an HDMI-to-RGB converter, this would look as good as staight component coming from the GC?

In theory, I would think it'd look as good, or at least, close enough to justify the cheaper cost of the adapter. But, I've not tested it this way, so I can't say for sure.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

FinalBaton wrote:

Blog here.

I don't think you'll see a quality increase over component cables, but it is a cheaper option if you don't have them already. GCVideo is still taking 4:2:2 YCbCr from the Gamecube and converting it to RGB, so I don't think it would have an advantage over the component cables when you're talking about converting it back to analog.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

bobrocks95 wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:

Blog here.

I don't think you'll see a quality increase over component cables, but it is a cheaper option if you don't have them already. GCVideo is still taking 4:2:2 YCbCr from the Gamecube and converting it to RGB, so I don't think it would have an advantage over the component cables when you're talking about converting it back to analog.
You're probably right. When playing the GameCube on a digital display, HDMI is objectively better than the official Component cables, since the digital signal is lossless and there is no Analog-to-Digital conversion taking place.

On a CRT, however, HDMI and the official Component will probably be around the same quality, depending on how good your digital-to-analog conversion is with HDMI.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yes I wasn't expecting it to be better once going through an HDMI-to-RGB converter. But I was hoping it would give comparable quality, since I don't have Gamecube component cables.

Looks like it will do the job through a good converter. AND will look ace plugged straight in my HDTV.

Thanks guys!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

I guess I should say: I feel it looks superior to the component cables on my setup. I'd guess this would probably vary from TV to TV. Maybe the component inputs on my TV just don't produce as nice of an image as my HDMI inputs. Either way, it's definitely equal to component, far cheaper and one cable, verses 5 analog cables. :mrgreen: Assuming you want your Gamecube on an HDTV.
Last edited by TooBeaucoup on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

GeneraLight wrote:When playing the GameCube on a digital display, HDMI is objectively better than the official Component cables, since the digital signal is lossless and there is no Analog-to-Digital conversion taking place.
YCbCr to RGB conversion isn't lossless. If it would passthrough (YCbCr 4:2:2 is part of the HDMI 1.0 specification), the sink could use higher precision math, dithering and better upsampling.

It's still an improvement over YPbPr.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:YCbCr to RGB conversion isn't lossless. If it would passthrough (YCbCr 4:2:2 is part of the HDMI 1.0 specification), the sink could use higher precision math, dithering and better upsampling.
Aww, but I already use 11 bit scaling coefficients and 19 bit intermediate results in the YCbCr to RGB conversion =(

Also, I'm not sure if the required changes would still fit into the current FPGA - utilization is at 97%. Patches are welcome though. =)