ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
copy-paster

Re: ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list

Post by copy-paster »

Thanks again.

Ok the last question, while the autofire is enabled sometimes the game will crank the rate to 30hz permanently at certain situation. Is there any methods to avoid this?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

copy-paster wrote:Thanks again.

Ok the last question, while the autofire is enabled sometimes the game will crank the rate to 30hz permanently at certain situation. Is there any methods to avoid this?
Are you using MAME autofire or something like that? That can be a somewhat common issue. The safest way to prevent that is to only use the game's built-in autofire (hold A) and tap A faster manually when you want to raise the fire rate.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

There's little reason not to use 10Hz autofire if you can set it to that, since the per-frame rank increase only starts at 12Hz. I only didn't because I had the same issue where autofire rate would get set to 30Hz, and I didn't want to try manually tapping at 10Hz. For good scoring, as Eaglet said, you should raise the autofire rate earlier since tick points are such a big part of Miyamoto's scoring. Note how sddkaede gets nearly 900k in his replay by the end of stage 1, while I can only manage around 720k with default autofire rate.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
tommyb

Post by tommyb »

I can confirm that having 2,000 point medals at the end of stage 1 does not initiate max rank mode.
Kitaru

Post by Kitaru »

I haven't been able to activate it that low either. The only times I've triggered it, I had reached max medals (minimum of 9k medal collected during Stage 1, ready to get 10k medals on Stage 2).
zakk

Post by zakk »

Keres wrote:
copy-paster wrote:Thanks again.

Are you using MAME autofire or something like that? That can be a somewhat common issue. The safest way to prevent that is to only use the game's built-in autofire (hold A) and tap A faster manually when you want to raise the fire rate.
Even the PS4 port does this. I had a button set to shot+rapid 15 and if you hold it right as your ship launches the auto fire rate will go up to 20, sometimes 30. I kept using the rapid button for the whole game, and usually it'll jump to 60 right before the two big planes in stage 4.

I was playing without any of the M2 gadgets on (since I was playing in tate and most of them are useless anyways) and I had a save state in stage 5 to practice the end of the stage. I started becoming suspicious when MB2's outside bits would not die even with a full bomb, and Slayer was nearly impossible to kill before timing out. 60Hz auto fire is bad stuff.

I think the way the rapid shot buttons work on the port is 'accurate' but it means you can't rely on them to maintain a consistent fire rate. You have to tap them at the beginning of the game real quick to set your initial auto fire rate and then use the "normal" shot button. Or learn to tap to get your desired setting.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

I think the main problem with autofire circuits is that the game in itself has a very variable framerate because of the processor sometimes chugging because of the amount of stuff on the screen.
In places with heavy slowdown a full cycle (or time) in the game will be executed more slowly than when nothing is happening so even if you tap at the same frequency you might be setting a higher AF rate just because of the "time slowdown", if that makes any sense.

One of the places this is most common in is right before the two last platforms in stage 5 come into view. For some reason the game chugs pretty bad at that point and it's very easy to set 15/20 instead of 12 even if you're tapping in a correct rhythm.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Isn't there a button in the PS4 port that lets you cycle through shot frequencies?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
zakk

Post by zakk »

Shepardus wrote:Isn't there a button in the PS4 port that lets you cycle through shot frequencies?
Yes, but it's subject to the same issues with frame rate and suddenly ending up with 30 or 60hz auto fire if you press it at the wrong time.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Just had something really weird happen when fighting Junkey monkey.

In the second form, with the grey flooring still there, all the spread turrets on the right remained after the form ended/ the floor blows up. So they were present and still firing in the 3rd form.

Is this a common occurence?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Could someone elaborate a little on the Auto Fire issue?

I sometimes, more often than i'd like, find myself having BIG gaps between salvos, and even a ship that simply refuses to fire for seconds if i have the button pressed (it somewhat fires if i keep pressing fast enough).
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

el_rika wrote:Could someone elaborate a little on the Auto Fire issue?

I sometimes, more often than i'd like, find myself having BIG gaps between salvos, and even a ship that simply refuses to fire for seconds if i have the button pressed (it somewhat fires if i keep pressing fast enough).
I don't know about "seconds," but there's a limit to the number of bullets you can have onscreen at a time, so if your autofire rate is high enough, you may end up firing "blanks" until some of your earlier bullets leave the screen. If you move towards the top of the screen and the gaps in your fire disappear, that's probably what's happening.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Keres wrote:
el_rika wrote:Could someone elaborate a little on the Auto Fire issue?

I don't know about "seconds," but there's a limit to the number of bullets you can have onscreen at a time, so if your autofire rate is high enough, you may end up firing "blanks" until some of your earlier bullets leave the screen. If you move towards the top of the screen and the gaps in your fire disappear, that's probably what's happening.
ok, yeah, i just tested that. So how is this achieved? For me it happens completely out of the blue. What am i doing wrong? or should i say right..?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

You're jacking up your autofire so you fire too many bullets. Stop raising the autofire.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Blinge wrote:Just had something really weird happen when fighting Junkey monkey.

In the second form, with the grey flooring still there, all the spread turrets on the right remained after the form ended/ the floor blows up. So they were present and still firing in the 3rd form.

No rly, is this supposed to happen? clip here: https://youtu.be/i6cO8FD0BAA
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

trap15 wrote:You're jacking up your autofire so you fire too many bullets. Stop raising the autofire.
So, i'll ask again. How the hell am i raising my autofire. This is what i wanna know :x

Thank you! :D
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

By tapping. Did you look at the guide?

damnit stop taking attention away from my super important post...
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

If you're using an autofire button, either in MAME or the PS4 port, it can also very easily jack up your autofire way higher than you intended.
Blinge wrote:
Blinge wrote:Just had something really weird happen when fighting Junkey monkey.

No rly, is this supposed to happen? clip here: https://youtu.be/i6cO8FD0BAA
I've never seen this before, but if anyone here would have, it's probably Eaglet.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Blinge wrote:By tapping. Did you look at the guide?

damnit stop taking attention away from my super important post...
yes, i did. Sorry for messing your topic, i guess in a couple of posts once i'm satisfyed with the answer, i'll be on my way.

Now, i am tapping and nothing happends, the rate stays the same. 2 minutes later, without doing anything out of the ordinary, i suddelnly have massive holes in my salvos :x
No autofire enabled (FBA).
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Sorry for being late on the ball. Studying for exams while recovering from the flu is not fun...

Blinge/Keres: True, i have experienced that twice before. :lol:
There's a variety of bugs that can occur with Junky Monkey (another is not transitioning between form iirc.) and this one most likely has to do with incorrect triggering of some sort of interrupt flag. It doesn't happen often but it's kind of like with most of the bugs in the game; nothing game breaking.

el_rika:
You're probably not realizing how the shot works.
You're supposed to hold down the button for continuous fire. Tapping only sets the fire rate and it's pretty easy to trigger a higher rate than you want with the odd twitch/faster interval or tapping during slowdown.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Cheers Eagz

actually.. Is there a way to get autofire rate back to default other than dying? like tap once or twice slowly or something?
And as I understand it, you can't set a lower rate than the default, right?
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

thank a lot for answering eaglet :D

So i guess it can be a little tricky sometimes.

I found that overclocking the FBA emu Cpu to 200 (default is 100), completely eliminates slowdown in the game (like when you lose a credit and all medals fall from your ship, or the 2nd stage boss). Maybe this will help with the issue. Does the PCB actually have slowdown in those moments or is it only in later stages..?
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Blinge wrote:Cheers Eagz

actually.. Is there a way to get autofire rate back to default other than dying? like tap once or twice slowly or something?
the guide says there's no way to lower the rate once it goes up, not in realtime.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Blinge wrote:actually.. Is there a way to get autofire rate back to default other than dying? like tap once or twice slowly or something?
Nope. In fact, dying doesn't reset autofire rate either. I don't remember if continuing does, but it doesn't matter much either way.
Blinge wrote:And as I understand it, you can't set a lower rate than the default, right?
Correct.
el_rika wrote:thank a lot for answering eaglet :D

So i guess it can be a little tricky sometimes.

I found that overclocking the FBA emu Cpu to 200 (default is 100), completely eliminates slowdown in the game (like when you lose a credit and all medals fall from your ship, or the 2nd stage boss). Maybe this will help with the issue. Does the PCB actually have slowdown in those moments or is it only in later stages..?
Yes, the PCB does have slowdown in places like the stage 2 boss.

It really shouldn't be hard to avoid involuntarily triggering faster autofire rate. Just hold the fire button, don't tap it rapidly. If your emulator or keyboard/gamepad/arcade stick/steering wheel/etc. has rapidfire/turbo enabled on your fire button, disable that. There's nothing "tricky" about it at all if you're not using external autofire (and the only thing tricky about external autofire is that slowdown can cause the game to treat the autofire as faster than it really is). If you continue to have trouble with FBA just switch to MAME.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

thanks boss!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Word on the streets is Eaglet subsists on a diet of medals.
Medals and nothing else.
And if a single crumb drops from the table he'll throw away his meal and prepare a fresh one.

Edit: what's gareggamame and what are its benefits?

Does it reduce input lag at all..?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

GareggaMAME has MAMEPlus-like autofire settings and comes with a comprehensive cheat file. I don't think it reduces input lag.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Cheers Shepper.

Okay so, raising autofire to 10hz doesn't affect per shot rank?? Have I understood that correctly?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Blinge wrote:Cheers Shepper.

Okay so, raising autofire to 10hz doesn't affect per shot rank?? Have I understood that correctly?
It doesn't affect per-frame rank, if that's what you mean. That's why 10Hz is nice; the overall rank impact is pretty low.

Per-shot rank itself has nothing to do with the autofire rate, and is just based on your main shot power level and how many options you have. (Obviously, with a higher autofire rate, you'll shoot more often, though.)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I meant what I said, but you've answered my question.

It's a simple explanation I know, but.. This game makes me second guess myself.