What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Sumez »

Everything is harder than Zeldor3.

Specifically, Oracle of Ages has a bit of action focus and a few somewhat challenging passages. At least it forces you to think about how you play instead of just plowing through everything as in all other zeldors. Oracle of Seasons not so much. It's the "puzzle based" one, even though both games have their share of puzzles.

And to me it's alright to point out things that annoy you. Every good game deserves some well thought out critique, and zeldor3 is not immune. I won't refrain from countering your arguments if I disagree, though.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote:Everything is harder than Zeldor3.
Haha, no way man, every 3D zeldu wants a word..

also I had no problems with the oracle games compared to lttp! >_<
.. and by problems I mean, I died once on the boss and had to stock up/use 2 recovery items to beat Skull Woods.
So yeah, catastrophic failure.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Satan
Banned User

Post by Satan »

Dark Souls. I hear it's a bit like Gryzor.
"A bleeding heart welcomes the sharks."
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Blinge wrote: .. and by problems I mean, I died once on the boss and had to stock up/use 2 recovery items to beat Skull Woods.
So yeah, catastrophic failure.
Forest boss can be pretty challenging when you have no idea what's going on, especially if you didn't upgrade your sword. As a kid when I really sucked at video game, that was the only somewhat scary part of the game. Blink can put up a fight as well. And if you run out of magic at the turtle rock boss you can be screwed (but they clearly thought of that, allowing you to create a "checkpoint" outside the dungeon shortly before the boss)
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Ice Palace boss kinda tricky too imo

Most of the bosses in the second half are fairly well designed. And Ganon's tower is a solid gauntlet.

Also Sumez are you being ironic calling Seasons the puzzle based game, or did you accidentally mix up the titles lol
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Shit yes, I mixed up the two titles. Ages' dark-world like time travel aspect is really nice, but Seasons just plays better, especially with its bosses which aren't just the typical Zelda "learn to use your new item" gimmick.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

reckon luck wrote:Nostalgia dictates that Link's Awakening will always be my favorite Zelda.
Mischief Maker wrote:Approaching Infinity

I hesitate to recommend this game because it's overpriced and has terrible limited number of installs online activation DRM (with option to grovel to the publisher for new ones).

But... it's Tales of Maj'Eyal meets Starflight.

Or if you're too young to understand the significance of that statement, this is the game No Man's Sky SHOULD have been, albeit rendered in shitty programmer art.
I've thought about picking it up a few times, but the price tag is a major turn-off. But then again, I dropped $30 on Cogmind, so...
Play the demo first, but bear in mind that like No Man's Sky, Approaching Infinity holds off on many game mechanics until you're a few systems in (planetary cave networks, alien stations, defeating enemy ships and they turn into derelicts you can raid with an away team, etc.), so play the demo to the end.

Also it's on sale for $33 until the end of February. But make sure to get an account on their store page so you can request a new code if you run out of installs. And ESPECIALLY remember to burn the installer to a disk because they only give you a 10 day window to download.

Shrapnel Games sucks. There's a reason the Weird Worlds and Dominions guys ran from them once their contracts expired. Shrapnel is the EA of the indie scene.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Eh, $33 is still too much for me to spend on a game right now, and I need to give the demo more time anyways.

If I wait long enough, maybe it will finally show up on a proper digital storefront :D
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

I've been playing dragon fin soup on the ps4. I've had it sat on there since it was a ps+ game however many months ago but just got round to trying it out. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, just kind of mindlessly plodding through dungeons. The only thing that annoys me is the way the crafting menu works, and how at shops you can buy either one of an item, or the entire stock. Why is there not a way to just buy 7, or 10 or what ever?

I'm guessing this game is basically what the shiren the wanderer games are like?
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Been playing PSP Ridge Racer 2, a.k.a the definitive RR :)

The only problem with this game is the music selection are too few.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Tales of Berseria.

Coming up on the endgame, it's been reasonably entertaining, but nothing more than that. It's really easy, even by jRPG standards. Zestiria had a better battle system, was much more challenging, and was overall a better game, unless you're one of those nerds who plays RPGs for the story.

EDIT:
Blinge wrote:Well everyone's favourite game design expert, egoraptor said ALTTP is best zeldo so it must be true..

I haven't heard of any of those games haha.

Hm.. Ys huh? I wonder if it's possible to do an Adol cosplay/challenge run of Dark Souls.
Running attacks only? :P I don't know his moveset from later Ys games..
Dude, go play Ys: The Oath in Felghana or Ys Origin. Both are better than any 2D Zelda other than maybe the first.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Apples and oranges. Oath and Origin are on the list anyway seeing as I loved 1&2 chronicles and III: Wanderers.

As for Link To The Past, I got over my salt after Skull Woods. I don't know what it is about that dungeon but i found the rest of the game so much easier. In the future I'll always do Thieves Town first just to get a better sword for skullfuck woods.

It's a great game, I'm still somewhat meh on the combat.

Otherwise I just started Ultima III Exodus on NES for the lols. I don't know how anything works, don't seem to have a healing spell yet and my warrior died from a cold :mrgreen:
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Ultima III NES is a horrible bastardization of the first three PC games. Play the real thing IMO. Or, if you really want console Ultima, the SMS port of Ultima IV is really good (and actually better than the PC original).

(Also, the Ys games on the 6/Oath/Origin engine are a bit more Zelda-y than the Ys games you've played IMO. Especially 6, although 6 is also the worst of that trilogy.)

EDIT: Also, if you didn't mind the Ys 1/2 bump combat, you really need to play Dawn of Ys (there's an English translation patch complete with shitty fan-dubbed voice acting). Best bump game, by far.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yakuza 0. Wow, what a bunch of shit.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Obscura wrote:the SMS port of Ultima IV is really good (and actually better than the PC original).
Wasn't Apple II the original? The DOS versions of the early Ultima games were not the best versions. They were stuck with CGA graphics and a lack of music (though there are fan made patches that fix these issues).
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura wrote:Ultima III NES is a horrible bastardization of the first three PC games.
eh, does it actually contain stuff from 1 and 2?
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Blinge wrote:
Obscura wrote:Ultima III NES is a horrible bastardization of the first three PC games.
eh, does it actually contain stuff from 1 and 2?
It's been a very long time since I've played that version (like "20 years" long time), but IIRC yes, it was random bits of Ultima 1, 2, and 3 thrown in a blender with little rhyme or reason.
guigui

Post by guigui »

I need your help guys. I'm just quitting a Puzzle and Dragons marathon (F2P mobile game, highly addictive, evil) that lasted 2 years ; I did not play a single other game during this period.

Now I'd like to come back to some gaming that requires less investment. I own mainly a PS4 and a 3DS and would like to find games that could fulfill the following requirements :
- may be played in kind of short session, not exceeding 2 hours for instance
- not too easy, requires some skills, gives some sense of accomplishment
- no tactic RPG combat system

Any advice appreciated.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Victor Vran.

This struck me as an also-ran Diablo clone from the gameplay vids but it's actually the best ARPG ever made if you're an action gamer first and a number cruncher second.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

guigui wrote:I own mainly a PS4 and a 3DS and would like to find games that could fulfill the following requirements :
You absolutely want Puyo Puyo Tsuu via M2's 3D Classics Collection. Though the other games included in that package also fit the bill.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

ALTTP is great. It's got a combat style that's more "methodical" and based on patience, whereas Ys Oath, 6, 7 etc are fast and furious, with some strategy still. I like the combat in the modern Ys games more, but the exploration in ALTTP and Link's awakening is sooooo good that you just accept the combat as part of the experience. I personally like the combat in these 2 Zelda games, I've got no complaints, I think that it fits the pace of the game (also the sword's short range deson't bother me either. I have always accepted that I need to think defence first, and use the boomerang and bow more). it's just that the combat in Ys games is on another level

Love Crystalis, it's got tons of charm. it's a fun playthrough
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Squire Grooktook

Tales of Berseria is excellent. Very much enjoying it. I want to jizz all over bookskirt.

Also Marvel Vs Capcom 2 again
It adds mahou shoujo paladin-chan though so it's clearly the definitive version.

RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Bahahah. Classic Squire.

aaand I just got all achievements for Binding of Isaac Afterbirth Plus, the latest expansion.
The last one is called "Just Stop!"

Yeah fair enough.
guigui

Post by guigui »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
guigui wrote:I own mainly a PS4 and a 3DS and would like to find games that could fulfill the following requirements :
You absolutely want Puyo Puyo Tsuu via M2's 3D Classics Collection. Though the other games included in that package also fit the bill.
Good hint, a little retro gaming might be good too. Any chance the other 3D Classics collection will come oversea ?
Any others titles in more recent gaming ? Titles I had a great time with : Souls series, Portal, Vanquish, Sonic Transformed Racing.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

guigui, why you quitting just when colosseum has come out? :O

if you want more souls style games check out bloodborne and nioh.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

finished Furi
such an amazing bullet hell game..one of the best
each level has unique 80's synthwave/dark synth soundtracks
guigui

Post by guigui »

Immryr wrote:guigui, why you quitting just when colosseum has come out? :O

if you want more souls style games check out bloodborne and nioh.
Haha, I cannot be reasonnable with PAD, so I had better stop it completely. Hope you still enjoy it though.
Bloodborne and Nioh are already on my shelves.
Squire Grooktook

Furi was definitely my game of the year 2016. Amazing game.

(as long as we're only counting games released in 2016, otherwise it would be Trails In The Sky SC)

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Khan

Post by Khan »

Finished icewind dale 2 again and slowly progressing through baldurs gate enhanced edition. They made some changes to the game I remember scrolls giving more xp when scribing them to your mage book in the original many years back still its a great feeling to replay these classics and with numenera coming soon im pretty stoked.
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

guigui wrote: Good hint, a little retro gaming might be good too. Any chance the other 3D Classics collection will come oversea ?
Any others titles in more recent gaming ? Titles I had a great time with : Souls series, Portal, Vanquish, Sonic Transformed Racing.
Earth Defense Force 4.1