Name your favorite obscure Nintendo property

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
WelshMegalodon

Name your favorite obscure Nintendo property

Post by WelshMegalodon »

(aka the "I'm a hipster!" thread)

At first glance, Nintendo doesn't appear to have as many recognizable IPs as companies like Namco or Sega, so I was curious as to which games or series you felt were overshadowed by the Marios and Zeldas.

There's definitely a sliding scale when it comes to deciding obscurity, so for the purposes of this thread, let's define an obscure IP as 'any property that is not represented by a playable character in Smash'.

If the sidescroller thread is any indication, BIL's answer is probably Popeye.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
iconoclast

Re: Name your favorite obscure Nintendo property

Post by iconoclast »

looking through this list, I'd say Ouendan > The Wonderful 101 > Sin & Punishment are my top 3. I like Ouendan & TW101 more than any other game with Nintendo's name on it, besides Bayonetta 2.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Popeye is really cool! However, my pick would be Nazo no Murasamejou (FDS).

Relentless topdown shooter/slasher, sporting the classic early Nintendo triad of agelessly bold pixels, airtight handling and arcade immediacy. The excellent Famicom Mini (GBA) version is one of my most treasured little gems.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Sutte Hakkun (SFC)
Really great puzzle game. It made it to the Japanese Wii and Wii U VC, so it's not totally forgotten, but man they really need to bring that game stateside some day.
Also, I think the Makkun (dog things) would make a good Assist Trophy in Smash :P
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

I don't really know what's represented in Smash, but I vote for StarTropics, Solar Striker, and Balloon Fight.

I also think Doki Doki Panic is a masterpiece.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Love some Startropics.

Drill Dozer too.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Arm Wrestling (Arcade)! Very fun timing based game with crazy characters on Punch Out hardware. Uses a joystick rather than a mechanical arm like other arm wrestling games.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

So this is about stuff that is only on Nintendo hardware, not just Nintendo firstparty stuff?

In that case I can agree on Sutte Hakkun, great game.

On the GBA Hachiemon, Guru Logi Champ and Happy Panechu are really good fun.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Jet Impulse (NDS)

Literally what if Nintendo did an Ace Combat clone entirely consists of fictional jets. Surprisingly it plays similarly to classic AC too complete with enemy ace squadrons, zany superweapons and stuff.

Too bad the localization attempt (as AirDS) didn't make it through considering it's rather plot-heavy and has a lot of voiceovers.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Not sure how obscure it is, but EGGERLAND without a doubt. Specifically the FDS "Eggerland" and NES "Eggerland: Revival of the Labyrinth," with the interconnected world map style. The other titles, including the Adventures of Lolo releases in the west are good, but not having the interconnected map takes a lot away from the game.

warning: huge map
Spoiler
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Mole Mania on GB is a mini masterpiece little puzzler.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

BIL wrote:However, my pick would be Nazo no Murasamejou (FDS).
BIL knows what's up! I also have the Famicom Mini version and it is such a cool game. I particularly enjoy its fast-pace, lack of dead air, as well as its cool projectile canceling mechanics. Only issue I have it with it is that I wish there were more difficulties beyond the first two loops. AFAIK, nothing changes between the 2nd and the subsequent loops.

And because I can't really settle on one single answer, my other picks are Sin & Punishment (which may or may not count as obscure) and Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru :

It is a fantastic Game Boy top-down Zelda-like adventure-rpg with a lower focus on action and more emphasis on platforming and exploration. The dialogue and characters are funny, the music is very charming (the overworld theme is a clear standout and the credits theme's unexpected awesomeness is also worth a mention) and the game never outstays its welcome due to its diverse areas and relatively short overall length.
It unfortunately never got a release outside Japan, but a fan-translation exists!
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

ptoing wrote:Guru Logi Champ

Guru Logi Champ is a Compile game. (I don't know about the others you listed)

My favorite obscure Nintendo property is Stunt Race FX. If only they'd do a straight update of that to Switch or 3DS. I want the exact same game, just smoother graphics.

edit: Oh yeah! and Mole Mania would be fantastic to see a sequel on 3DS or Switch
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Koa Zo wrote:Guru Logi Champ is a Compile game. (I don't know about the others you listed)
And a large number of the games other people listed aren't 1st party (or mostly even 2nd party) Nintendo games either.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Skykid wrote:Mole Mania on GB is a mini masterpiece little puzzler.
^ this 100%
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Lots of interesting titles listed here, both old and new. I am once again impressed with SHMUPs and its knowledge of Nintendo's Japan-exclusive catalog.
BIL wrote:Popeye is really cool! However, my pick would be Nazo no Murasamejou (FDS).
Ah, of course. Nintendo's answer to Sega's Ninja Princess, perhaps?
linko9 wrote:Not sure how obscure it is, but EGGERLAND without a doubt. Specifically the FDS "Eggerland" and NES "Eggerland: Revival of the Labyrinth," with the interconnected world map style. The other titles, including the Adventures of Lolo releases in the west are good, but not having the interconnected map takes a lot away from the game.
I do see the Lolo games mentioned every so often, but the Eggerland titles that preceded them are definitely out-of-the-way.

And that is a very large map indeed.
M.Knight wrote: And because I can't really settle on one single answer, my other picks are Sin & Punishment (which may or may not count as obscure) and Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru :
I adore that overworld theme.

The price of the Everdrive GB has been putting me off, but between this, TwinBee Da!, and stuff like Saigou no Nindou GB I'm starting to wonder whether it doesn't warrant a purchase...
trap15 wrote:And a large number of the games other people listed aren't 1st party (or mostly even 2nd party) Nintendo games either.
Eh, my fault for not specifying. I don't really feel like getting into a squabble over semantics... at least, not over this.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

trap15 wrote:And a large number of the games other people listed aren't 1st party (or mostly even 2nd party) Nintendo games either.
The OP only mentioned Nintendo properties, not first party games. They should own almost everything they've published, with some exceptions (eg Bayonetta 2)
BIL

Post by BIL »

M.Knight wrote:Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru

It is a fantastic Game Boy top-down Zelda-like adventure-rpg with a lower focus on action and more emphasis on platforming and exploration.
Interesting - sounds like a good counterpart to Murasame's all-action take on Zelda. :smile: I'd heard of it before, but somehow got the impression it was a full-on RPG. Will definitely give it a closer look now.

If HAL stuff is okay, I have to mention Totsugeki! Ponkotsu Tank aka Trax (Gameboy). Slightly awkward monodirectional turret rotation aside (tap the button, don't hold it), it's an absolutely killer little topdown tank shooter. I highly recommend eschewing the generous life stock for Elemental Master "one life = one credit" rules; turns a diverting little romp into a brisk chibi-tanking hellride. Standout feature is the sheer destruction quotient - virtually all scenery can be obliterated by player or enemies, with the latter enjoying zero friendly fire protection. It's a blast manipulating enemies into crushing and shooting each other in the chaos - bigger ones trampling zako underfoot, zako bringing biggies crashing down with flak. Tiny screen and chibi aesthetic be damned - the sight of behemoth crawlers razing entire city blocks to dust in remorseless pursuit of your tank is some friggin biblical destruction.

A marvelous bit of work for its tiny platform, backed up with HAL's trademark cartoony yet visceral sense of impact. I rank it with Silent Bomber and Omega Boost (PS1) - one of those singular impacts that simultaneously evokes and obviates its never-made sequels.
WelshMegalodon wrote:The price of the Everdrive GB has been putting me off, but between this, TwinBee Da!, and stuff like Saigou no Nindou GB I'm starting to wonder whether it doesn't warrant a purchase...
When GB stuff is good it's friggin beautiful. For tha luvva gawd, play Bionic Commando if you haven't yet. Image
Austin

Post by Austin »

Teleroboxer (Virtual Boy).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Eggerland is from HAL before they were with Nintendo. It started on the MSX and the first FDS game is based on the second MSX game.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

True enough, but Nintendo has definitely embraced it as its own with how its treated in Smash Bros. for example. Hard for me to disentangle Hal from Nintendo, but I guess that's because I wasn't around when they were separate.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sadly, I can probably answer with F-Zero these days.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

BIL wrote:Interesting - sounds like a good counterpart to Murasame's all-action take on Zelda. :smile: I'd heard of it before, but somehow got the impression it was a full-on RPG. Will definitely give it a closer look now.
Hope you'll like it!
That said, don't expect Holy Diver levels of difficulty. :mrgreen:

The platforming is more reminiscent of Link's Awakening/Oracle Of, which is explained by this game sharing the same engine (or at least, a previous version of it) as LA. All dungeons feature platforming sequences, while the rest of the game is a top-down overworld.
Combat is peculiar : when touching an enemy, the both of you engage in an automatic battle and you can only use an item or try to retreat. Everything else is automatic and the damage output is based on stats that you can increase by collecting a few power-ups scattered throughout the overworld. No exp whatsoever thankfully, but defeating bosses requires getting most if not all power-ups in the area (hence the exploration focus).
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Donkey Kong Jnr Math
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
M.Knight wrote: And because I can't really settle on one single answer, my other picks are Sin & Punishment (which may or may not count as obscure) and Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru :
I adore that overworld theme.

The price of the Everdrive GB has been putting me off, but between this, TwinBee Da!, and stuff like Saigou no Nindou GB I'm starting to wonder whether it doesn't warrant a purchase..
It warrants a purchace for Trip World :wink:

Or you know, Shantae.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Balloon Fight (Nintendo does Joust + endless gravity runner all on one cartridge)

Clu Clu Land (Light puzzler with top down maze gameplay)

Pilotwings (whatever happened to this? The N64 followup was OK but we need a proper sequel)

Devil World (amusing Pacman variant with moving maze walls)

Donkey Kong '94 (one of the best platformers ever anywhere. On Gameboy)
Austin

Post by Austin »

Marc wrote:Sadly, I can probably answer with F-Zero these days.
Sad, and unfortunately true. :(
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Gumshoe
We apologise for the inconvenience
BIL

Post by BIL »

Judging from its first stage, which I couldn't switch off until I'd 100 percented it, Mole Mania/Moguranya is superb. This thread finally got me around to picking up a copy, and I'm delighted with it. Just bumping to return the favour! Fans of topdown puzzling ala Kickle Cubicle/Meikyuujima should love this. It's still cheap even NOS, thankfully (at least the Japan version).
This this. Ingenuity, content and personality in droves. The little mole guy is an instant classic - surprised he's not had any cameos since (at least I don't think?).
M.Knight wrote:Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru
Wonderful game - quite unique, "adventure RPG" is a good description for it, indeed. I went with old favourite Link's Awakening DX for now, wanting something a bit more actiony for my still-fledging GB set, but the quality was unmistakable. Such a stirring overworld BGM. Image (edit: off-topic, but I did pick up another GB recommendation of yours, Cave Noire! Rad pocket dungeon raider. Image )
Last edited by BIL on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Galactic Pinball for Virtual Boy!
That is Galactic Dancing