Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by BIL »

Shoryukev wrote:I played NG2 for a little bit saturday, is it just me or is it really easy compared to the first one? I mean, in my first time playing it I made it all the way to 4-2 without dying once. What the...? Here's a few first impressions;

The enemy movement speed is definitely slower than the first game, I noticed even the eagles seemed to be drenched in molasses (also harder to get them to fly off-screen since they have less momentum at their slower speed). What the...? There were a handful of recycled enemies I was anxiously waiting for them to throw something at me, but here they don't (most notable for me was the enemy I call pumpkin-head). The shadow ninja powerup where copies of you follow you around was kinda cool.....but it makes you feel too strong IMO. What the...? The boss battles were the best part for me, they mix things up and were generally pretty awesome. I definitely noticed the sword hitbox being smaller and more finicky as BIL mentioned, but it wasn't a huge issue (still an issue though). Seems knockback from getting hit was lessened, I got hit several times and took my eyes away from the screen thinking I'd surely be knocked into a pit....but wasn't. The cinematics have taken a step up, but they seem too long and often happen both at the end of an act and then also at the beginning of the next act.....I lost interest in them. Also, what the...?

Ended up dying a couple times on act 5 and getting a game over or two on the 5-3 boss. The boss wasn't incredibly hard or anything, I just didn't feel all that compelled to continue. I looked up a playthrough video just now and noticed there are 7 acts in this one...maybe I need to get to act 7 before I judge it. Chances are it could ramp up significantly by act 7 and give me the challenge I have a newfound craving for.
NG2 is definitely the easiest of the NES trilogy, yeah - only the deliberately mild Ryukenden III is more approachable. Big guns, plentiful ammo, easy wallclimbing and a noticeably low damage scale take a lot of pressure off. And on top of all that, you're coming in straight from clearing the much stiffer challenge of NG1. :wink:

That said, its final Act is a significant spike, particularly the last stage which is long, packs some nasty jumps and won't refill your health at the boss rush (two out of three bosses here are reasonably tricky... I think the first is underrated actually, with his aggressive movement and shooting; quite pleased with the no-hit kill in my replay). I think you'll be pleased with the endgame.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

That's true, coming fresh off NG1 may have made me somewhat calloused to other games in the same vein when it comes to difficulty. NG2 was still fun, but I didn't have that same on edge feeling that I could die at any second. NG1 nails that to a T, for me it heightens my level of concentration and really draws me in.

I'll keep going and see how I like the final act of NG2
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

NG2 does feel easier compared to NG1, but ultimately I think training for a 1cc takes around the same amount of dedication.

(ie. not a whole lot, compared to the sort of tough first impression)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Shoryukev wrote:NG2 was still fun, but I didn't have that same on edge feeling that I could die at any second.
Have you played Irem's Ninja Spirit/Saigo no Nindou (AC)? It absolutely excels at this; perhaps the apex of deathly sidescrolling intensity. First couple stages are mild, then the brakes go and the rest is relentless encroaching terror. In my experience only the tightest spots of Contra III/Hard and Daimakaimura compare, but neither's as singularly harrowing. There's no respawn or armour here, nor as much respite from raining zako hell; death is sudden, ugly and omnipresent. If the arcade version's not an option, Irem's PCE port is a superb alternative. Its Arcade Mode doesn't reach the Japanese PCB's most bitter extremes, but it absolutely captures its sense of lunar nightmare, with an intensity well beyond the console norm.

Unfortunately the PCB and port alike suffer from one of the most inexplicable, execrable 11th-hour falls from game design grace ever: the infamous ninja pit. See here and here for Mr. Mosquito and Vludi's AC mapping efforts, and here for my GIF of the PCE port's easy route. It's a testament to the game's sheer quality that it remains a must-play despite this endgame cockup. Totally worth enjoying the preceding 95% and leaving it at that.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

I've heard of this infamous pit before, but never played the game. I have a mame setup at home, I'll definitely give it a go. I'm looking at some gameplay footage right now and it looks pretty epic!

EDIT: Man that fall is a nasty one, they don't seem to give you any room for error....jeeze LOL
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Ninja Spirit is definitely at the top of my favorite action game of all time lists. It's a must play. Nothing else like it.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Having casually explored Holy Diver before on BIL's rec, I took another look.
BIL wrote: I'd wondered how a game ostensibly dedicated to the hardest of hardcore action could've been released with such abysmally faulty controls. Buttons failing to register whenever the pad is engaged? In what fucking universe is that acceptable? Surely the most fundamental thing in hardcore gaming is a reliable interface?
Either I'm not understanding, or someone has patched this problem on the NES rom file I'm using. But I may missing something, because this description suggests that it should be impossible to shoot upwards (up + B) and is it really possible to win without that ability? What is the most basic demonstration of the glitch/quirk?

On the visual aesthetics side, HD seems a mixed bag (and here I'm overlooking the horrid sprite flicker). Just take the opening descent: you've got a sweet mist-shrouded moon, gnarled tree, and... looks like a Lego castle you're trying to infiltrate? Inside there's a beautiful skull-upon-cross just begging to be tragically censored in a US release, but also an excess of dopey square bricks and an enemy that I've always interpreted as a caped flying cat. Assuming you're OK with 8-bit graphics it's not bad, just a bit... chintzy and scattershot.

What really sells it to me is the main player sprite. Of course he's pilfering quite a lot of Belmont style (but a good ersatz holds its own special pleasure IMO). Randy gets extra mileage though from his glam-metal shoulder pads and cape; but then what is even more left-yield, yet totally works, is his faded sepia coloration. Probably motivated by the need to stand out against various backgrounds, but it adds weight and a storied quality to his adventures.

Meanwhile, I realized I had never actually completed a modern 3D action game (not since Doom II anyway, and excepting the niche title Marble Blast Gold whose stripped-down visuals and mechanics allowed it to be a legit precision-platformer). Perhaps it's no wonder I'd never bonded with the genre.

So I'm giving xb360's Ninja Gaiden II a spin. The 2000s Ninja Gaidens not only wear the mantle of an old favorite, they have a reputation for difficulty and thoughtful mechanics. So far though, I've found that camera-angle challenges keep truly precise play out of reach, and that button-mashing in the general direction of enemies is often good enough.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sterlingly done, Vanguard! I'm a bit short on time atm, will comment more substantially later. Good going with the NG2 clear as well!
dojo_b wrote:
BIL wrote: I'd wondered how a game ostensibly dedicated to the hardest of hardcore action could've been released with such abysmally faulty controls. Buttons failing to register whenever the pad is engaged? In what fucking universe is that acceptable? Surely the most fundamental thing in hardcore gaming is a reliable interface?
Either I'm not understanding, or someone has patched this problem on the NES rom file I'm using. But I may missing something, because this description suggests that it should be impossible to shoot upwards (up + B) and is it really possible to win without that ability? What is the most basic demonstration of the glitch/quirk?
Basically, when the game detects a change in the dpad's state, any coinciding button inputs will be dropped. This includes not only pressing the dpad (eg hitting Left and Jump simultaneously), but also releasing it (eg halting at a desired spot and hitting Attack). You will indeed be denied the vertical shot, if Up and Attack's inputs coincide.

The timing seems frame-precise - it's quite possible to go without encountering it for long stretches, and even attempting to trigger it deliberately, it takes me a few attempts to get consistent. It is there, though, and it's when things come down to pixels and frames that it'll screw you. Golden Babylon and st6's Genocide room in particular go from legitimately harrowing to utter bullshit on account of the glitch (plus sprite dropoout, in GB's case). Hope this clarifies a little - apologies for layman terminology. :wink:

I had to muscle-memorise a comprehensive set of workarounds for my 1LC. I didn't realise how bad it was until I fired up CV1+NG1 immediately afterward, and found myself subconsciously chickening out of precisely the frame-tight maneuvers that make those games so good. >_< Even in defeat, HD's malice was abiding - tainting my faith in the sidescrollers I love the most! :shock:

Fortunately it was the holidays, and I had all weekend to divest myself of the corruption. Image

I've since been tempted to classify Holy Diver as a kusoge. It certainly is fundamentally busted. It is no mere "shitty game," however... its downfall was one from tragic, Luciferous heights. Critical flaws warp what would've been among the FC sidescrolling canon's most eminent into a nightmarish mockery. Despicably compelling.
NYN

Post by NYN »

dojo_b wrote:
So I'm giving xb360's Ninja Gaiden II a spin. The 2000s Ninja Gaidens not only wear the mantle of an old favorite, they have a reputation for difficulty and thoughtful mechanics. So far though, I've found that camera-angle challenges keep truly precise play out of reach, and that button-mashing in the general direction of enemies is often good enough.
Don't mean to sully this temple and at the command of friar BIL I will naturally take it outside, but I'm curious:
What diffilculty did you pick and what chapter so far brought you to the assessment of "button-mashing"?
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nah, it's cool. :wink:
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BIL wrote:I've since been tempted to classify Holy Diver as a kusoge. It certainly is fundamentally busted. It is no mere "shitty game," however... its downfall was one from tragic, Luciferous heights. Critical flaws warp what would've been among the FC sidescrolling canon's most eminent into a nightmarish mockery. Despicably compelling.
I could never call Holy Diver a kusoge. It's too unique and too exciting for that. Plus it has a strong element of resource management and a durable hero whom enemies must wear down through attrition, two of my biggest gaming fetishes.

Holy Diver's extreme good points make its flaws infinitely more tragic, but it's still worth playing as is. I just hope that one of these days some gaming hero produces a romhack to fix all of those issues and make Holy Diver into the masterpiece it should have been.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I would imagine the input bug should be pretty easy to fix...
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sumez wrote:I would imagine the input bug should be pretty easy to fix...
That one is 90% of the problem really. The others (invisible bullet flicker, rare crashes after boss fights, despawning/not spawning items, getting stuck inside walls) are all bad to varying degrees, but the input bug drags the entire experience down and is something you need to be aware of 100% of the time.

In other news, I've made it to the green raspberry room without dying twice. Shouldn't be long now!

Edit: Oh yeah, two more I forgot: you can take damage while immobilized after boss fights or when entering the Black Slayer's doorway, and the music resets every time you pause.
Last edited by Vanguard on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Ronyn wrote: Don't mean to sully this temple and at the command of friar BIL I will naturally take it outside, but I'm curious:
What diffilculty did you pick and what chapter so far brought you to the assessment of "button-mashing"?
Lemme get back to you when my opinion about the game carries some actual weight. I'm not saying it's dumb or easy. Right now all I'm saying is that it's difficult for a newcomer to get clear visual feedback about what went right or wrong in combat---and, this is largely a consequence of the impressive realism of the graphics and character movements. This is implicitly in comparison to the cartoonish visual clarity of e.g. Super Mario Bros or Castlevania NES, where you will likely suck at first but also see exactly how you failed. And that's the only reason I bring up 3D here---pure retro chauvinism :wink:
Last edited by dojo_b on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I know it's probably bad to ask since I played a bit of Holy Diver, but is the input bug similar to how in a few of the Mega Man NES games (actual system, not emulation), inputs are sometimes eaten when a lot of enemies are on screen? I noticed New Zealand Story for PCE also has a similar input issue.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

It has nothing to do with how busy the screen is. If you press or release any direction on the d-pad and, on the same frame, press any other button, that button will be ignored.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, though a completely different issue than Holy Diver's, dropping inputs during slowdown is a pretty common thing for NES games and similar. You need to be able to both press and release the button during skipped frames for it to happen though, so I can't blame most developers for not giving it priority.
Even if you make sure to check the controller during every vblank, you need to make sure the inputs are buffered until they have been processed by the game logic, and then clear the buffer. I'm not sure a lot of NES games bothered even doing that, if any at all.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vanguard wrote:Holy Diver's extreme good points make its flaws infinitely more tragic, but it's still worth playing as is.
Oh absolutely. My caveats are mostly reserved for the rigour of one-life play, tbh... and I'm unsure how seriously the designers even took the prospect. Whatever the rationale for all those 1UPs, given how generously they insure against the odd mishap, the bugs won't impede a skilled 1CCer too badly.

Foregoing that quick fix is where HD's flaws become toxic, and where I must give an uncommonly literal "approach with caution." A 1LC is diabolically unfair, yet the infernal extreme will draw in those proverbial hardcore moths! Who will survive... and what will be left of them? Image

Speaking of:
In other news, I've made it to the green raspberry room without dying twice. Shouldn't be long now!
Godspeed. ;_;7
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Playing Alien Soldier these days, holy shit what a phenomenal game! Love the sheer variety of levels and bosses. Lots of options for the player too: different weapons, dash, air hovering, bullet cancelling, and really like the option to choose between firing while locked in place and firing while moving. It's a small touch that shows how much thought was put into the gameplay. Definitely one of the best games in the system.

So far I'm using Buster/Ranger/Homing/Lancer, seems like they're useful for every situation. Just managed to reach level 20 and yeah, I'll be stuck in this one for a while. Amazing fight though.

The stage 17 backdrop also deserves a mention. Great scenery!

[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

When I beat the first boss in Holy Diver, I almost thought it was another early SMB2 US Fryguy style stuck after boss glitch, but it turned out I just had to walk to the left wall. Good thing I didn't reset.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks for the GB Kirby recommendation way back when, Brian. :smile: Finally got a copy and dug straight into the excellently tweaked Hard mode you'd mentioned. Nice and arcadey! Will post in more detail on the weekend... suffice to say for now, this is definitely on my OGB sidescrolling action shortlist.
Ruldra wrote:The stage 17 backdrop also deserves a mention. Great scenery!
One of my favourite scenes and sequences in all of gaming. It's the transition between its two halves - the impressively audacious laser vignette and the simple, relentless attack of the boss itself - that I love most. Straight from the previous boss you're chucked in with zero preamble, dodging erratic lasers before you'll have fully processed the immense backdrop - and then the klaxon blares, the BGM quiets, and the screen slowly fades to white...

...then fades back to the same scene, in altogether different mood. No lasers, no music, quite tranquil - right down to the screen-spanning boss monstrosity hovering silently overhead. Then the BGM roars back to life and all hell breaks loose in a frantic, violent exchange, before possibly the most justified unskippable cutscene ever - a brutally succinct one, at that. In an action game this furiously paced and relentlessly technical, a 30 second midpoint intermission via apocalyptic visions is A-OK by me.

Hell of a game. It's loaded with these highlights of mechanical and aesthetic synergy, great and small... it's as much a pleasure to watch as it is riveting to play. I used to wish it'd been on Saturn but these days, especially with how needlessly verbose Guardian Heroes and Silhouette Mirage turned out, I suspect the MD was less pigeonhole than pressure cooker.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Alien Soldier looks amazing! I'm going to have to check that out.
BrianC wrote:When I beat the first boss in Holy Diver, I almost thought it was another early SMB2 US Fryguy style stuck after boss glitch, but it turned out I just had to walk to the left wall. Good thing I didn't reset.
Hahaha I did the same thing the first time I played it. You beat the boss and then it doesn't really hint that you have to walk over to that wall. I kept walking over to the right wall thinking I had to leave the way I came in.....nope LOL.
BIL wrote:Thanks for the GB Kirby recommendation way back when, Brian. :smile: Finally got a copy and dug straight into the excellently tweaked Hard mode you'd mentioned. Nice and arcadey! Will post in more detail on the weekend... suffice to say for now, this is definitely on my OGB sidescrolling action shortlist.
I never realized that game had a hard mode, probably makes it a lot of fun!
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

It's finally over.

What a nightmare. Golden Babylon is a piece of shit!
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I can only salute your tenacity and skill. Truly, you are worthy of your username. The Vanguard of The Task Force.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Wow awesome playthrough Vanguard! Very captivating to watch, masterful to say the least.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I can only salute your tenacity and skill. Truly, you are worthy of your username. The Vanguard of The Task Force.
Shoryukev wrote:Wow awesome playthrough Vanguard! Very captivating to watch, masterful to say the least.
Thanks!

I have to agree with what BIL said - when playing for a 1CC, Holy Diver's flaws are tolerable. Go for a 1LC and it will show you just how unfair and unpleasant it can be. I still like it, and would recommend it, but I'm never going to play it with the intent to 1LC again.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Shoryukev wrote:I never realized that game had a hard mode, probably makes it a lot of fun!
It's superb, highly recommended. :smile: They really made an effort - far from enemies merely doing more damage, virtually everything behaves more aggressively and deviously. I was originally going to clear Normal first, but felt the usual Kirby reaction kicking in around stage 3... mechanically airtight, aesthetically lovely, but just a bit sleepy. Fired up Hard mode and goddamn, I had to have it! Here's the code (I'm playing a JP cart but it works exactly the same there):

Vanguard wrote:It's finally over.
Welcome back. :cool: Just finished watching the replay - a pleasure, both your authoritative playing and the opportunity to re-evaluate the game from safe distance. HD truly reaches some masterful heights of level, enemy and weapon design in its latter three stages... as much as I too swore "never again" when it was done, I remember all too clearly why I got into it.

Holy fuck @ 22:58, was going beneath planned? :shock: Seriously caught me off-guard, great stuff - especially with the flawless escape afterward. I'd be way too scared of the pit to try so late in the run. Of course my "safe" method for taking out that Metal Blade damn near ended in disaster... :lol:

Superb Powerslave takedown, now that's how it should look. I like how you actually killed the game's first two Hellraisers, too - I was in absolute NO REMORSE mode by the point I began serious 1LC attempts, and boosted past 'em shamelessly.

The deluxe triple-strong Lyer @ 31:25 couldn't have helped your concentration. :mrgreen: That room is so much nervier than it looks, imo. Blizzard might seem to ensure a freebie, but with the tricky footing and the ever-present spiders' horrible way of springing from pits (and ofc, the glitch...), I'm on red alert while picking off the frozen Lyers.

Nothing compared to the coming apotheosis of platformer treachery terror that is The Genocide & SHOCK_DAG Show, of course. Nice weathering of the nipping Dags during the final Genocide takedown... whether the barricade is attacked head-on or sniped from afar, you truly have to tune out the minuscule pest/shot damage and focus 110% on your positioning. It's horrendously easy to die by knockback there, to the point that being safely between two walls while being swarmed by indestructible zako feels positively cozy. Of course the lifebar budget isn't unlimited, you've got to do or die at some point...

Speaking of, that was a gut-wrenching brush with death immmediately after the final Genocide takedown. :o Did you see the raspberry coming, or was it an 11th hour scare? Truly the stuff of 1LC nightmares... in my run I waited for both to go offscreen, then used psychic waves of sheer murderous hatred* to keep 'em there while I speedkilled the Geno and got the fuck out. I'm still not sure how the Dags work, exactly - they seem pretty consistent about returning the way they left, but I was most definitely expecting a six o' clock instakill even as I made my move.

*aka calculated guesswork and a bit of prayer :wink: DO NOT EVEN TRY the Edmond Dantes Method on this game, kids! Your head will straight-up asplode, Scanners-style! O_O

You know you're watching an HD expert when they hit Blizzard before making the first jump onto the Stairway To Heaven. :cool: (that fucking Lyer smacked me into the pit on so many late night practice runs >_< ). Incidentally I've been replaying Metroid (FDS) lately, via the beautiful Famicom Mini Series GBA port - I detailed my suspicions regarding its influence on HD a while back, but totally forgot one of the most obvious (besides the brazen willingness to cheap-shot a doorbound player you mentioned recently). The final climb in both games most definitely shares a love of vertically "sandwiching" platforms, requiring tricky "out/in" leaps to advance.

Of course where Metroid gives the option of slower but easier platforming, HD takes the concept to a murderous extreme by making it sandwiches all the way up, plus interfering enemies, plus an instakill pit for them to knock you into. And a cheapshot door at the top. And requiring you to exploit an obvious engine glitch to make the biggest jump. Jesus. :lol:

I love how you rolled the life count to "fireball," btw. Now I really suspect the designers were overcompensating players with all those 1UPs, to ease the pain of the monster they'd created and perhaps stave off hate mail. :mrgreen:
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Two thoughts. One, there is such a volume of amazing achievements being slowly racked up on this thread (not to mention a treasury of knowledge/informed opinion) that it fairly begs to be organized in some way. Personally I just keep tabs on a few of your youtubes, and copy-paste helpful posts into growing text files around favorite games. I will think if there's anything more outwardly useful I can do.

Two: HD can be damn unpleasant to watch---especially expert play :? ---due to the rapid switches to/from menu-diving. It's probably less jarring to the player with a firm grasp of the action, but still. If I were designing a powerup-driven NES/FC game I'd probably avoid this by forcing the player to just scroll through powers with the Select key while unpaused. Or even making Pause leave unchanged view of the action, though this risks undermining the twitch challenge. (Edited to add: I'm a bit curious how either option would affect HD's difficulty)
Last edited by dojo_b on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

dojo_b wrote:Two thoughts. One, there is such a volume of amazing achievements being slowly racked up on this thread (not to mention a treasury of knowledge/informed opinion) that it fairly begs to be organized in some way.
Agreed - I'm slowly summoning up the will to organise the thread a little. ;3 I want to keep it primarily the relaxed discussion place it's always been, but it has run for nearly four years now, and it's seen some great posts. A basic index is certainly warranted, just for ease of navigation.

I'm thinking a simple list of games organised by platform (FC, MD, SFC etc), with links to the more involved discussions on each. Also a selection of links to the more general sidescroller discussions we've had. Will probably update the OP accordingly as I go.
dojo_b wrote:Two: HD can be damn unpleasant to watch---especially expert play :? ---due to the rapid switches to/from menu-diving. It's probably less jarring to the player with a firm grasp of the action, but still.
I find it oddly satisfying, but maybe it's due to the respite from imminent death offered. :mrgreen: I do think the HUD should've displayed the currently equipped spell, though with how badly this game handles sprite breakup, I dread to imagine the ramifications.

And as always with FC action games, the lack of buttons has to be reckoned with. Were there three, I'd be totally down with a realtime "choose with [Select], fire with [C]" system. Since the game has a vertical shot, CV/NG "Up+B" is out. I'd personally be ok with choosing via [Select] and enabling via [Start], but of course that'd likely mean sacrificing pause.

Ultimately, given what an absolute nightmare the game and its glitches are, it's definitely a lessened (though still valid) concern while you're actually at the controls.