Video Game Artwork

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Squire Grooktook

Re: Video Game Artwork

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I like the pose on space knight there. Nice sense of action to it.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I like the pose on space knight there. Nice sense of action to it.
His cock laser is rad too. Just as the dragon's third head caught a glimpse of his third eye... Blam! That's what you get for peeking.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Hagane wrote:Oh, for a moment I thought Capcom would be remaking Art of Fighting on Street Fighter V's engine. :(
Would that make the game better or worse?

Wish I'd known about Irem's Vigilante sooner.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BIL

Post by BIL »

(click for full res)

Was chilling out, maxing, relaxing and generally reminiscing about shitty old NES games. Dr. Chaos is FDS-exclusive so fnarr fnarr, I watched a longplay instead. The boxart always stood out in memory, and looking at it now I see why! Besides the adept framing of its bloody scene and rogues' gallery, it's got:

1) receding hairline represent Image
2) skeletal monster with internal organs visible Image
3) non-euclidean hallway w/ door-in-floor Image

Has hints of a neat cosmic horror atmosphere, this game, with its dimension-hopping premise. Entirely lacking the aesthetic and design chops to realise it, unfortunately. Basically you root about a boring house for doorways into shitty caves and swamps populated by crappy monsters. That ~40min longplay felt many times as long. -_- Still, nice of them to attempt something a bit more Lovecraftian that your usual haunted house. I wonder if then-recent (and excellent!) HPL adaptation/expansion From Beyond was an influence?

Standout feature is probably its title attract sequence, a gloomy distant view of the manor from which the silhouetted good doctor is seen wandering from room to room, periodically stopping to frantically bang on the windows. As a stupid little kid I thought that was our protagonist, the doctor's brother MICHAEL CHAOS, but knowing it's the missing Prof on the lam from the fruits of his dark research is much creepier!

edit: Oh shit! unintentional FCI/Pony Canyon combo! That MagMax art was on the NES box too, I remember it from Archie comics. In a great big monochrome spread with Seicross, Lunar Pool and some other stuff. edit2: Hey waitaminute, that is the NES box! Obi you fuck! ;3
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

In my defense, Wikipedia article said "Cover of Nintendo version", so it could be understood either way.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

To determine if you're looking at a NES box, always check for the Nintendo seal of quality! Image Over in nippon they didn't give a FUCK! More honest of them, really.

Another thing re: DR. CHAOS: I like the intelligent transferring of the artwork from FDS to NES box aspect. This consideration puts it over the top, to become a favourite example of the old "more care apparent in the boxart than the game" situation. Good show, box chaps!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I always thought Dr. Chaos looked like a shameless Goonies/Goonies 2 ripoff.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Since this thread has been revived, and I'm currently flaunting some of my favourite Japanese box arts on my Instagagball, I figured I might as well cross-post them here - hope the hotlinking works.

These are all pretty famous, so definitely nothing new to anyone here, but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate them over again.

Did Amano even get any love in this thread so far? An amazing artist, and the FF6 artwork might just be my favourite piece of box art ever created. Pretty fit for what is also one of my favourite games.

Excellent examples of what Japanese artists (and in the case of Star Wars - just a simpler, tasteful approach to the layout) do to western titles. The Prince of Persia artwork is done by the guy who's probably most famous for Blood: The Last Vampire, but also made the official artwork for a bunch of the original Zelda games up until Link's Awakening.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gun Hazard's boxart is at least half the reason I own a copy. :mrgreen: Good characterful yet moody stuff. Game's not bad either, if obviously less arcade-streamlined than stuff like Valken and Ex-Ranza. One of those surprisingly inexpensive SFC games, too.

Prince of Persia's SFC box is spectacular. One of the most decisive JP>US examples. Besides the vivid styling, the technical use of the box dimensions and the incorporation of so much directly from the game are pleasures in themselves. A superlative remake too. One of my favourite 16-bit packages to have around.

I didn't know about the Zelda connection, very cool! I always thought the artwork in the first three games' boxes and manuals was a bit underrated.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

EU actually got the same artwork on the POP box, but it's horizontally oriented, so obviously cropped and tastelessly fitted into the same gray frame layout as Konami's other SNES games. I have NO FUCKING CLUE what went wrong with that game in USA though...

I originally bought Gun Hazard because of the box too, and the cheap price, and when I realised it was an action game similar to Metal Warriors, but with a map system, upgrades and all kinds of awesome jazz. Unfortunately it does get very repetitive quite fast, and is difficult to play without Japanese understanding. Too bad really, because I love the basic gameplay, and the game had amazing potential.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:EU actually got the same artwork on the POP box, but it's horizontally oriented, so obviously cropped and tastelessly fitted into the same gray frame layout as Konami's other SNES games. I have NO FUCKING CLUE what went wrong with that game in USA though...
Hadn't really thought about it, but Famicom, SFC and JP N64 boxes all really benefited from the lack of standardised orientation. EU POP reminds me of Hagane's US box... same Keita Amemiya painting as the SFC's lovely vertical spread, but you're peering at it through a letterbox.

Then there's the latter two systems' aggressive bordering, complete with goofy box blurbs. Even stuff that's arguably as good or better on SNES like Contra III and Castlevania IV suffer from those.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

There's absolutely no doubt that the US artwork on both Contra and CV4 is way better than the Japanese ones, but those standardized layouts definitely hurt the overall presentation. The layout of Contra Spirits is vastly superior, but has nothing on Tom Dubois' badass artwork.
The European boxes are a little better, allowing variation in color to blend into the artwork (works well on the Zelda box, for example), though I could have done without the "Konami grey".

PS:
I have no idea what could have happened that ever caused this thing to be greenlit
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:There's absolutely no doubt that the US artwork on both Contra and CV4 is way better than the Japanese ones, but those standardized layouts definitely hurt the overall presentation. The layout of Contra Spirits is vastly superior, but has nothing on Tom Dubois' badass artwork.
The European boxes are a little better, allowing variation in color to blend into the artwork (works well on the Zelda box, for example), though I could have done without the "Konami grey".

PS:
I have no idea what could have happened that ever caused this thing to be greenlit
Belmont's hairy ass is probably showing, thus explaning Dracula's horrified face.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The more you stare at it, the worse it gets.

Conversely, the more you stare at this, the better it gets
BIL

Post by BIL »

SFC Dracula IV is a goofy pleasure of mine. :mrgreen: Akumajou Densetsu vs Castlevania III goes very similarly... the latter is infinitely more badass, something out of heroic legend - but the former's much ropier depiction of our ragtag band makes me think of pulpy horror novels from the 1940s.

I do genuinely prefer both Japanese boxarts' sticking closer to the in-game character designs, though.

Contra Spirits doesn't do much for me. I like the fierce colour scheme, but can't abide by the abrupt decision to model Bill Rizer on Macaulay Culkin instead of Ahnuld. WTF? Contra III box otoh has the right atmosphere of desperate resistance, and moreover is artfully packed with lots of fine detail straight from the game itself. Again, that always pleases me (see also Raf World's boxart - lots of fidelity with the stuff you'll be encountering in the game proper).
soprano1 wrote:Belmont's hairy ass is probably showing, thus explaning Dracula's horrified face.
Looks like a couple bats might've been caught by a sneaky gust from our hero, too. :oops: Knocked 'em out cold!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I wouldn't compare SFC Akumajou to Akumajou Densetsu. I love the artwork for Densetsu. IMO way better than the bleak grey box we got in the west, even though the artwork is still great.

Honestly, I also feel that the western box art for both CV3 and CV4 absolutely nailed the in-game character designs! While it doesn't get much more spot on than C3, this guy's artwork in general really stood out for not just being great, but also showcasing an amazing amount of attention to what was actually going on in the games.

PS: RAF World's box art kicks so much ass I really regret only having a loose cart of this game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Was just reminded of this - all credit to Strider77

I'm all about the painful pleasure of chasing down original boxes, but he did some damn fine work on those custom sleeves. :o Would do any shelf proud.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow, that IS pretty badass. Still, I will forever cherish my boxed Akumajou Densetsu as it is. Far from the rarest or most expensive game in my collection, but one of my most beloved ones.

I have a few copies of CV3 as well, they are alright.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Akumajou Densetsu was in the very first batch of FC games I picked up, and I was honestly expecting the boxes to be the same size as NES ones (seller pics were all nice n' zoomed in for max detail). So my first reaction when I opened the parcel was "WHAT" followed swiftly by "FUCK THESE ARE COOL." Addiction to lovely little FC boxes ensued. :mrgreen: Only Japanese GB boxes are cuter imo.

My favourite thing in all of Akumajou Densetsu's materials is that monochrome drawing of Trevor (or I guess Ralph) on the manual's back cover. Back to a wall in some shadowy place, peering furtively around the corner with a dagger readied to throw. Looks more like something out of Metal Gear than the series' typically bombastic illustrations. I love finding little illustrations and doodles like those on JP materials... really rounds out the production, far beyond "here's an instruction pamphlet, now gtfo you lousy kids!" Ninja Ryukenden II and Double Dragon II's boxes have perhaps my favourite of all, chibi characters on the box flaps. I wonder which came first in the former's case, the boxart chibis or the hidden Sound Test's superdeformed Ryu and Irene. The latter's actually popped up later on in PCE DDII's Options menu, haha.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote:(or I guess Ralph)
So elitist
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuck! >_< But I can't help myself; it's too late now! Shameless, vulgar, pretentious flaunting of Japanese TV Game knowledge is the only thing that'll get my floppy and decadent bourgeois wiener rock-hard once more!

I'll be first against the wall when the people take back power, won't I. :oops: You can have all my stuff when I'm sent to the killing fields if you like. Just promise to say "Rarufu Shee Berumondo" every now and then!

edit: oh hey check it out, first google result! Image How quaint, even teh plebs can enjoy this pretentious knowledge! Image
Spoiler

Wish I could find a better scan of this. Tom Dubois' customarily sweeping scope creates a dizzying perspective and gut-wrenching sense of motion. Check out the wakes of those battleships! Shmuppin' as fuck. Found at this great retrospective page of his work.

Have to disagree with that site on Axelay, though. Tom's US cover is fine, but monster man makes it B-movie goofy in a way the more reserved SFC box avoids. Actually, the SFC box is closer in tone to his Top Gun art.

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Super Famicom - dark and gloomy covers vs. happy colorful cartoon covers. I love all of these.
It is strange that the US cover for SOS uses a different image even though it's very very similar. Same motive, art style, etc.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Tha fuck?! :shock: :lol: Thundercade AC flyer, starring Cronos from Venom. It's lighting fast!

Click for full res

RIP another NES port by Micronics. Them and their shitty framerates. 3; Probably on the less bad end of their spectrum along with Kyuukyoku Tiger tbh.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

BIL wrote:starring Cronos from Venom
Jesus christ, there goes my coffee!!! :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Now, as far as tried/true martial arts iconography goes, Spartan X GB's cover art is pretty nice. I like the colours+composition! Unorthodox yet threatening pose on hero! And to be fair it's licensed from a Jackie Chan flick, giving it pretty legit kung fu icon cred. Why not chuck in Jason, Ahnuld and a Jin-Roh while you're at it. However, this boxart's not what I want to discuss! That would be the US version:

Yes, the scene has shifted from a modern metropolis to Egypt (?), complete with a camel steed for now-shirtless Jason. I've genuinely never considered that particular bit of imagery, kudos. The back cover reveals it's not mere decoration, we've got some dumbass story about pyramids. There are no pyramids or even camels in this game. :O It seems somebody caught a glimpse of st1's sharply angular near-futurist skyline, and let their imagination go nuts from there. Naturally the model-accurate Jackie Chan protagonist is now a generic Bruce Lee ripoff, nowhere to be found in-game either. Maybe they were beating a particularly concerted retreat from the Hong Kong movie license? Whatever the reasoning, it's one of the more amusingly consistent localisation trainwrecks I've seen in a while!
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Last edited by gbaplayer on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
BIL

Post by BIL »

FUCK yes @ Daisenpuu. Image LET LOOSE TEH DOGS OF WAR
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm sure this has been posted in this thread already, but Daisenpuu makes me think of the even more badass PCE cover artwork for Kjapaneseword Tiger:

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BIL wrote:The back cover reveals it's not mere decoration, we've got some dumbass story about pyramids.
Kung Phooeys? Bruce Leap?
This is absolute gold!

It's hard to compete with the original English arcade plot though:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good timing on the screengrab - if you didn't know better, you might think that was the most brutal GF Murder Sequence outside of Double Dragon II. :mrgreen: