10 Music Essentials

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Reiki wrote:Since getting things down to a top 10 is a difficult thing for me to do (I'd have to do a top 10 for each genre I listen to and even that would be hard to do) I will just name the 10 albums I always have on my desk.

Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Kreator - Pleasure To Kill
Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Honky Reduction
Cathedral - Supernatural Born Machine
Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Venom - Black Metal
Motorhead - Bomber
Napalm Death - From Enslavement To Obliteration (the release that has Scum included, so I can cheat and name 11 albums)
I just got Frozen Corpse Stuffed with Dope on picture disc. ANb is the shit.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Neon

Post by Neon »

A few of my favourite artists would be better...most of my cds are burnz compilations of their legits that I own anyway (rarely are albums great from beginning to end):

Wes Montgomery
Miles Davis
Jimi Hendrix
Jaco Pastorius
Parliament Funkadelic
went through a large Ramones/ACDC kick in the 8th grade
Bob Marley
Victor/Reggie Wooten are great to see live. Lots of their songs are shite imo, but technically speaking the best guitar/bass players ever. Better than Malmsteen, Vai, and those lewsers.
Bach/Beethoven/Mozart

I also listen to various videogame music
Ikaruga
Silvergun (meh game, great music)
almost anything Capcom
Warcraft 2
anything by Manabu Namiki (garegga, DOJ, etc.)
anything Technosoft
lots of Sega stuff
some Zuntata
shadowstar

Post by shadowstar »

Damn, that's a tough one. I just named the first 10 that came to mind that I'd go crazy without.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Opeth - Morningrise
Between the Buried and Me - s/t
Cave In - Until Your Heart Stops
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Bad Religion - All Ages
Deftones - Adrenaline
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Anathema - Judgement
Isis - Mosquito Control

Also: seems to be quite a few black/doom metal fans here. Ever heard of Swallow the Sun? I just picked up their debut today on a whim, and it's actually really good.
Reiki

Post by Reiki »

Acid King wrote:I just got Frozen Corpse Stuffed with Dope on picture disc. ANb is the shit.
Shit man, I'm jealous. I went to JB HiFi last week since they said they had a copy but when I got there they told me 'sorry, we just sold it'. Bastards!

I can assume you will be getting their new album when it comes out at the end of this year?
peeveen

Post by peeveen »

I reckon I could get by with less than ten:

Neutral Milk Hotel "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea"
Jim White "Wrong Eyed Jesus"
Eno "Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)"
Robert Wyatt "Rock Bottom"
and one homemade CD containing a dozen-or-so tracks from various other folk.
Marc

Post by Marc »

T.Rex - 20th Century Boy
Nice one JP, you a T.Rex fax or is it just that particular song?
Jon

Post by Jon »

peeveen wrote:I reckon I could get by with less than ten:

Neutral Milk Hotel "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea"
Awesome choice. The genius thet is Jeff Magnum cannot be overstated. I am also am Eno fan though I prefer "Another Green World."

My head would probably explode if I tried to whittle down my favorite music to ten desert island discs. I am not going to even try.

Its nice to see some avid Genesis fans on the forum! I always thought The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was thier best despite being a tad bloated (what do you expect when dealing with a double length concept album by a prog-rock band. :wink: ) The band really seemed to lose some punch with the departure of Mr. Gabriel though, at least in my opinion. Oh well, I guess we wouldn't have his wonderful solo albums like "Security" and "Us" if he hadn't struck out on his own.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Jon wrote:Its nice to see some avid Genesis fans on the forum! I always thought The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was thier best despite being a tad bloated (what do you expect when dealing with a double length concept album by a prog-rock band. :wink: )
A double-length concept prog-rock album...WITH an accompanying wonky background storyline AND stage show! :mrgreen:

In any case, the reason I put both that and "Nursery Cryme" on the list is because I tend to feel that the former best embodies their slightly more traditional-sounding "rock" work, while the latter is some of their most distinctive "symphonic" work. I love a lot of their other albums too, but those two, in my view, embody some of the "opposite" qualities of their work nicely. Obviously they weren't the same after Gabriel left (and, more to the point, Phil took over), but they still had some life left in them, in my opinion: I'd personally say that "Duke" was their last "real" album, before decidedly subpar stuff like Abacab started popping up (the first time I listened to it, I fell asleep...dead honest)...though in truth I have to say that I didn't mind We Can't Dance; it really wasn't Genesis anymore, but I think if you're able to accept it on its own it holds up pretty well. Of course, this discussion could be a whole other thread (or forum?) in itself, heh.
greg

Post by greg »

Currently my top 10 albums, off the top of my mind:

The Ocean Blue - Cerulean
The Sundays - Blind
Slowdive - Souvlaki
The Psychedelic Furs - World Outside
Lush - Spooky
The Stone Roses
Echo & The Bunnymen - Songs to Learn and Sing
Joy Division - Substance
The Cure - Staring at the Sea (the singles)
Starflyer 59 - Silver

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless nearly made the list. I guess my list can change anytime, but this is what I listen to the most these days.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Jon

Post by Jon »

BulletMagnet wrote:[ I'd personally say that "Duke" was their last "real" album, before decidedly subpar stuff like Abacab started popping up (the first time I listened to it, I fell asleep...dead honest)....
Brother you are preaching to the choir on that one. Duke is easily my favorite Genesis album post-Gabriel. The percussion alone makes it worth while (not to mention the cool album art!)
Last edited by Jon on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Broadcast - The Noise Made by People
Death - Symbolic
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns
Mastodon - Leviathan
Of Montreal - Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies
Pinback - Offcell
Six Finger Satellite - Law of Ruins
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Genesis-Duke? Jesus I haven't heard that in 15 years. I suppose I should check it out again, I remember liking it.

For all the Genesis fans, you might find it worthwhile checking out the Strawbs--I don't know if they made a single great album, but lots of good tracks on those albums, especially Ghosts and Grave new world.

Oh and hell yeah, Wyatt's Rock Bottom is another fucking favorite of mine, absolutely top notch, even better than his work with the softs. Surprised no one has mentioned Crimson; Lark's and Starless remain favorites of mine.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
stoneroses

Post by stoneroses »

10. Wire "A Bell is a Cup, Until it is Struck"
9. R.E.M. "Life's Rich Pageant"
8. Kula Shaker "K"
7. The Smiths "Strangeways Here We Come"
6. Jane's Addiction "Nothing Shocking"
5. Live "Throwing Copper"
4. Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique"
3. Beck "Odelay"
2. The Stone Roses "The Stone Roses"
1. My Bloody Valentine "Loveless"

Essential stuff that had some sort of meaning at diferent points in my life that I often return to from time to time. FYI, number 11 would have been 3rd Bass "The Cactus Albulm" or Iron Maiden "Piece of Mind"
Last edited by stoneroses on Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
nullstar

Post by nullstar »

The thing is, if I had to condense the collection that far (the pain would really start once I got all the way down to ~100), I'd wind up mostly keeping a whole bunch of compilations, which at the moment would be:

The Best of 1980-1990 (U2)
The Best of Bowie (two disc version)
Chronicle (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Cream Resident (Oakenfold)
The Essential Clash
The Essential Johnny Cash (two disc version)
OK Computer (Radiohead)
The Pearl (Harold Budd/Brian Eno)
Rage Against the Machine (self titled)
In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 (two disc version)

Now, if you're going to make me pick "true" albums:

Automatic for the People (but I might settle for New Adventures in Hi-Fi)
Dark Side of the Moon
Friction, Baby
Fumbling Towards Ecstacy
OK Computer
Rage Against the Machine
The Pearl (but might settle for The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld)
Ziggy Stardust (*maybe* could be persuaded on Diamond Dogs)
Zooropa
Brian

Post by Brian »

Dream Theater- Metropolis
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
KMFDM - NIHIL
Peter Gabriel - Us
Afro Celt Sound System - Further in Time
Star One - Space Metal
Aryeon - Actual Fantasy
Die Warzu - Convenience
Front 242- Front By Front
Delierium - Karma
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

Acid King wrote:Pulse Demon has a special place in my heart and brain because it was the first noise disc I bought, though I think he's done better. Isn't Making Orange Things the Venetian Snares/Speedranch collaboration?
When I first heard Pulse Demon I wasn't musically... "mature" enough to handle it. I could only listen to it for a bit until I wanted to shoot my brain (as did my roommates...now they just tolerate the fact that my room revolves between noise/noise/ambient/noise). Pulse Demon has the Cannibalism of Machine (or something of that nature) track on it right? I like that a lot.

I'm actually digging his later stuff that has become more rhythmic - like Merzbird and Merzbeat - though Aqua Necromancer I loooove.

Oh...yes Making things Orange is the VSnares/Speedrach collab - I love that cd...As for his later Cds...I wish Vsnares hadn't gone all limp on me like that. I feel the likes of Dev/Null, Retrigger, Duran Duran Duran etc. have ecllipsed him in this genre these days.
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
jp

Post by jp »

Marc wrote:
T.Rex - 20th Century Boy
Nice one JP, you a T.Rex fax or is it just that particular song?

I enjoy T.Rex, but that compilation has most of my favorite T.Rex stuff on it, therefore I point to it as the best.

Granted, I haven't even heard a fraction of T.Rex's works(they've got like, 200 CDs or something apparently)... so I'm really voting blind there.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Marc

Post by Marc »

I enjoy T.Rex, but that compilation has most of my favorite T.Rex stuff on it, therefore I point to it as the best.

Granted, I haven't even heard a fraction of T.Rex's works(they've got like, 200 CDs or something apparently)... so I'm really voting blind there.
:lol: It's not quite that bad, there were 4 LP's released as Tyrannosaurus Rex, which were accoustic middle-earth hippy records, with just Bolan and one other guy. They expanded to a four-piece, shortened their name to T.Rex, and released a self-titled LP that was a halfway house between their old stuff and the full electric direction they were about to take. There were seven more T.Rex LP's (Electric Warrior, Slider, Tanx, Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow, Bolan's Zip-Gun, Futuristic Dragon, Dandy In The Underworld) which vary drastically in quality (the first three at least are classics worth anyone's money IMO), and that's your lot. The amount of stuff that's floating about now is mainly due to the fact that people have been fighting for the rights to his records, selling and re-selling master tapes etc ever since Bolan died, so there's alternate versions of LP's, demo's, re-recordings and re-mixes etc... There's been some worthwhile stuff amongst it, but for every one of those there's been an exploitative piece of shit.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

in no particular order

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The 36 Chambers
Kitaro - Sacred Journey of Kukai
Future Sound of London - Dead Cities
Ken Ishii - Jelly Tones
we™ - Square Root of Negative One
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx
Enigma - Le Roi es Mort, Vive le Roi!
LTJ Bukem - Journey Inwards
DJ Spooky vs. Freight Elevator Quartet - File Under Futurism

Honorable mention: Fuck on the Beach - Fastcore on the Beach. This album makes me laugh hysterically every time I hear it.
Soulo

Post by Soulo »

Baobab Orchestra - Pirates Choice
Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile
Nas - Illmatic
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Nirvana - Nevermind
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Afro Cuban Allstars - A Toda Cuba Le Gusta
Nina Simone - Nuff Said
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Muse - Absolution
Deftones - Around the fur
Radiohead - ok computer
Hell is for Heroes - the Neon handshake
Smashing pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Akercocke - the Goat of Mendes
Funeral for a Friend - Casually dressed and deep in conversation
Fear factory - Demanufacture
Hundred Reasons - Ideas Above Our Station
karasuman

Post by karasuman »

Pig - Sinsation
Pig - Praise the Lard
Skinny Puppy - Cleanse Fold & Manipulate
KMFDM - Naive
The Cure - Disintegration
Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Velvet Acid Christ - Church of Acid
Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle
Nizter Ebb - Belief

You know, coming up with only 10 is kind of difficult, haha. Well, it's not like I listen to that obscure of material anyway.

I actually started listening to A Tribe Called Quest, hip hop can be pretty sweet. This People's Instinctive Travels album rules.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Reiki wrote:
Acid King wrote:I just got Frozen Corpse Stuffed with Dope on picture disc. ANb is the shit.
Shit man, I'm jealous. I went to JB HiFi last week since they said they had a copy but when I got there they told me 'sorry, we just sold it'. Bastards!

I can assume you will be getting their new album when it comes out at the end of this year?
I got my copy when I saw High on Fire a couple weeks ago in Phillly with Kylesa. Picked up the repress of EyeHateGod's "Take as needed for pain" too.
Strychnine wrote:
Acid King wrote:Pulse Demon has a special place in my heart and brain because it was the first noise disc I bought, though I think he's done better. Isn't Making Orange Things the Venetian Snares/Speedranch collaboration?
When I first heard Pulse Demon I wasn't musically... "mature" enough to handle it. I could only listen to it for a bit until I wanted to shoot my brain (as did my roommates...now they just tolerate the fact that my room revolves between noise/noise/ambient/noise). Pulse Demon has the Cannibalism of Machine (or something of that nature) track on it right? I like that a lot.

I'm actually digging his later stuff that has become more rhythmic - like Merzbird and Merzbeat - though Aqua Necromancer I loooove.

Oh...yes Making things Orange is the VSnares/Speedrach collab - I love that cd...As for his later Cds...I wish Vsnares hadn't gone all limp on me like that. I feel the likes of Dev/Null, Retrigger, Duran Duran Duran etc. have ecllipsed him in this genre these days.
When i first heard Merzbow, my intial reaction was "What the fuck?!" and my interest was piqued. Took me awhile to be able to sit and listen to it as opposed to just putting it on the the background, which I had a tendency to do with noise when I started listening to it. Actually, Cannibalism of Machine is on Tauromachine. That one is a bit more rhythmic than pulse demon, still pretty much "no beat noise" though.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

I've found that in certain moods, Merzbow is my favorite driving music. Such moods happens a couple times a week.