So I'm bored and ripping Saturn videos

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
roushimsx

So I'm bored and ripping Saturn videos

Post by roushimsx »

kinda running parallel with the Saturn video DVD vol 1 thread, I'm ripping videos from Saturn games and converting them to XviD (Don't much care for DivX, please don't hate me).

Deep Fear - Mookie Dies
Panzer Dragoon Intro
Panzer Dragoon Ending
Panzer Dragoon Saga MiniIntro/Trailer
Guardian Heroes Intro
Raident Silvergun Opening
Raident Silvergun Ending
Raident Silvergun Ending 2
Sonic CD Intro (From Sonic Jam)

I'm using WinVDT2 and TMPlay to convert the videos, VirtualDub for the encoding, and XviD as the video codec. The default MP3 codec isn't very hot so to stay legal and free you're probably best off saving the audio stream as a seperate file from VirtualDub, encoding with something like CDex, and then adding it back in during the final encoding phase. I used a resize filter on the Panzer Dragoon video, doubling the resolution with Precise Bicubic A=-1.00 to give myself a little more room to play with while encoding the video.

Right now I'm trying out a few different filters to see what I can do about cleaning up the video a bit more, but a lot of the Cinepak and Duck stuff is shit-tastic quality to begin with :(

So yea, if you want to help by encoding your own videos, that'd be cool. If you just want to send me the original video file and have me convert and encode it, that's cool too. If there's any requests, just fire away and I'm sure someone will be able to hook you up (I haven't got a bulk of my Saturn games here unfortunatly)

edit #2 - Deep Fear - Mookie Dies uploaded. Had a little trouble encoding this one because of the audio, but it ended up coming out alright. Deep Fear was hailed as being superior to Biohazard by most import sites and pretty much everyone that never played it gave high marks to the voice acting, which they said was much better than Biohazard's. As I hope this video shows, that statement couldn't possibly be more false.

The quality of the CG work in Deep Fear was absolutly horrible, even for 1998. If there's one thing the game DID do right though, it's implementing running while having your weapon drawn. It's not a major innovation, but it was pretty damn useful.
Last edited by roushimsx on Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
umi

Re: So I'm bored and ripping Saturn videos

Post by umi »

Kickass dude :P I gotta learn this stuff one day... I got a heap of import games. All seems so confuzzling tho. Lots of choices.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Kewl shit... been trying to get my capture card working again. It's about to get a non-stop trip out to the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Good stuff man, we need some more Saturn exlusive videos! :D

I don't suppose you could rip some gameplay footage from Guardian Heroes?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I have the intros from the following sitting on my PC:

Prikura Daisakusen
Kisuishoudensetsu Astal (including the SEGA screen)
Keio Yuugekitai Katsugekihen

If you would like any of them let me know. I'll have to find somewhere to upload them.

BTW, I noticed that the Guardian Heroes intro you have is the US one. I have the original Japanese one (complete with loads of character voices) if you're interested.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

dave4shmups wrote:I don't suppose you could rip some gameplay footage from Guardian Heroes?
Once I get my copy from back home then I'll do it. I've got the image on my HD but the whole swapping discs to play burned and/or imported saturn games deal never worked with me (on a V1 or V2 Saturn) so you're going to have to wait until I get my legit copy :(

On a tangent/sidenote, if anyone has Panzer Bandits for Playstation, I'd absolutly love to make videos of it :(
Kiken wrote:I have the intros from the following sitting on my PC:

Prikura Daisakusen

If you would like any of them let me know. I'll have to find somewhere to upload them.

BTW, I noticed that the Guardian Heroes intro you have is the US one. I have the original Japanese one (complete with loads of character voices) if you're interested.
Oh yea, I'd be very interested in those (especially Astal). If you need me to set up a little FTP-love for you to upload to just shoot me a message :)

edit - they're rips directly from the disc, right?
Last edited by roushimsx on Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

"Once I get my copy from back home then I'll do it. I've got the image on my HD but the whole swapping discs to play burned and/or imported saturn games deal never worked with me (on a V1 or V2 Saturn) so you're going to have to wait until I get my legit copy Sad "

Thanks man, I really appreciate that! :D
Farewell to hollow words
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

roushimsx wrote:
Kiken wrote:I have the intros from the following sitting on my PC:

Prikura Daisakusen

Oh yea, I'd be very interested in those (especially Astal). If you need me to set up a little FTP-love for you to upload to just shoot me a message :)

edit - they're rips directly from the disc, right?
Ok.. just shoot me a PM with details on how to upload.

The videos were captured directly from the Saturn. The quality of the video is equal to the ones you ripped (I compared the vids of Guardian Heroes).

And I own Panzer Bandit, BTW.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Is Panzer Bandit a side-scrolling fighter, or a vs. one? Couldn't quite tell from what I've read about it on Gamefaqs.
Farewell to hollow words
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

A beat-em-up. Here's more info and screens on it by Kurt from the CV Dungeon:
http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/pa ... bandit.htm
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Yeah, I found that site late last night! Looks incredible! :shock:

Hey roushimsx, do you have Wolf Fang? If so, I'd rather see some video from that, as myself and some others on this forum are pretty interested in this game, and seeing some footage of it in action would be great!
Farewell to hollow words
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

deep fear <shivers> it plays like virtua cop and resident evil had ugly children... uncoordinated, ugly children.

luckily i got it for "free" when i bought my asian PS2 ($200 with 7 games thrown in)

for giggles, they are:
-Tekken 4
-Jojo's "whatever" for PS2 (frickin' awesome, if only I knew what was goin on :D )
-Guilty Gear XX (i think)
-7 Blades (more disturbing than i would have thought, yay cannabalism!)
-Burning Fest Final
-Deep Fear
-Ehra...wzwazzwex (read: Evil Zone)
I have no sig whatsoever.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

dave4shmups wrote:Hey roushimsx, do you have Wolf Fang? If so, I'd rather see some video from that, as myself and some others on this forum are pretty interested in this game, and seeing some footage of it in action would be great!
Nope, haven't got it. I've never seen it for less than $3, which is all I'm willing to spend on a game that most likely sucks from a company known for making shitty titles :)

Right now I'm just grabbing CPK/AVI streams from the discs that have interesting ones, though. I had planned on making some Wing Arms videos but god damn has that game not aged well. Level 1 is still enjoyable, 2 is interesting, but that canyon level really is amazingly bad anymore.

....maybe I'll make a video of the canyon level.