Are there any good sites for fighting games?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
alpha5099

Are there any good sites for fighting games?

Post by alpha5099 »

Lately, I've been becoming more interested in fighting games. I've been frequenting the GameFAQs Saturn message board, occasionally asking questions about Street Fighter Collection and Samurai Shodown 4 and whatever else strikes my fancy at the moment.

What I was hoping was that there was a site, like our very own Shmups, that was dedicated to the fighting game genre, offered reviews, maybe even a forum. If anyone knows of such a sight, or any sites that would offer some opinions on fighting games (especially those on the Saturn), I'd appreciate it.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I've seen shoryuken.com a few times.

For the most part their forums seem to be warez kiddoes, but they've got some useful information on joysticks etc. too.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I always wondered if there was a racing game forum, like Shmups is to shooters.
Grant Windsor made a joke once that the site would be called "Dumps"...as in short for "Drive-em-ups".

Hey, if you fins one, let me know.
kong

Post by kong »

Good luck. I browse Shoryuken every now and then but fighting game sites seem to attract a ton of leet speaking internet tough guys. Plus the genre seems to be very splintered; mk players hate sf, doa hate tekken, etc. etc.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/ is a decent tekken site.

http://combovideos.com/ is a nice site with replays for various fighting games. They've been having trouble with financing recently so I'm not sure of their current status. They also have a forum area.

www.gamecombos.com has guilty gear info and a forum.
kong

Post by kong »

Twitch have you checked out http://www.bhmotorsports.com/

Not a bad site/forum for racing games. It leans more to the sim side of racing games though.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

neo-geo.com is like the shmups.com equivalent of fighting games. I wish I could play some of these guys in real life, I'd bet they would hand me my ass in just about everything.

There's also another one I really liked, it had a huge list of fighting characters gifs...easily in the hundreds of characters. It used to be gamegen.com, but since then it's moved and I can't remember it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

LoneSage wrote:There's also another one I really liked, it had a huge list of fighting characters gifs...easily in the hundreds of characters. It used to be gamegen.com, but since then it's moved and I can't remember it.
I believe that would be www.fightersgeneration.com. Unfortunately the "characters" section (where most of the images are) has been down for some time, though the webmaster says he's working on getting it back up.

I've also been to a site which has a nice compendium of fighting game characters and a bit of info on each, but I forget the name and URL...I could probably dig it up if I looked around a bit though.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

That's Fighter Mania.

BTW, Fighter's Gen is good for pics only. Don't go spouting off the author's opinions or "facts" anywhere else or you're in for a flaming.

There's no good racing forum unfortunately. Rage Racer Type IV has like the only active Ridge Racer community but sucks that its BBS is all-JP.

There's also not a good fighter community for your casual needs. If it's not a tourney worthy game or haven't been released in the US, chances are low that people there will know what you're talking about. May as well get your questions answered here, Japangaming, or on the GameFAQs Saturn board.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Yup, that was it. Thanks BM.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ganelon wrote:That's Fighter Mania.
Yep, that was the one, the url is http://kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/ if anyone else wants to go there.

One thing that bugs me about the place, though, is that it has profiles for the Galaxy Fight characters and the Astra Superstars characters, but nothing for the Waku Waku 7 cast. :? Not like anyone else even cares about any of those games anyhow. :mrgreen:
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

He's not done, that's all. His old site (at fightermania.org IINM) had the WW7 characters so I guess he'll add them when he has time.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

you could always try Sim racing world at http://www.simracingworld.com/index/

if you're interested in racing games it's a pretty good site. Just don't go on there posting messages like "GT4 pwns your ass" and expect to be welcomed. Those guys are pure sim heads.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

for soulcalibur 1&2, www.guardimpact.com and www.soulcalibur.com are pretty good
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

shoryuken.com is the most important 2D fighting game board of the western community. it's the best place to acquire knowledge, but you have to get to know the "good" posters, as you don't want to crawl through all the crap that's posted there.

SNK is not very popular among "serious" players, so you won't find much useful talk about SS4.

neo-geo.com has one good thread about Real Bout 2, otherwise I wouldn't care.

orochinagi.com might be good if you're into King of Fighters.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

I think you mean that "SNK is not very popular among serious CAPCOM players." Shoryuken forum posters are mostly about Capcom but occasionally you'll see some serious Guilty Gear posters. You can't play Street Fighter 3: 3rd strike your whole life.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

There isn't a serious KOF community period, at least not in the US. Not enough people I guess. Just look at how much Orochinagi actually discusses strategies compared to Shoryuken.