Meteos DS anyone?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Super Laydock

Meteos DS anyone?

Post by Super Laydock »

Another puzzle game from Tetsuya Mizuguchi (The REZ guy!) this time in collaboration with Masahiro Sakurai (Super Smash Brothers designer) and for the Nintendo DS.

http://planetmeteos.com/index.html
http://planetmeteos.com/movie/index.html

I must say that alongside Yoshi's Touch & Go this is one of the titles I am looking forward to getting the most. Looks really cool imo.
Am I the only one here?
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Ord

Post by Ord »

Nah, your not the only one. I've been looking forward to this for a wee while.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
jp

Post by jp »

One of my most anticipated DS titles! :D
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I saw this gameplay movie of Meteos and I'm considering whether to preorder the japanese version for my DS. Is this game going to have long term appeal?
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Thunder Force wrote:I saw this gameplay movie of Meteos and I'm considering whether to preorder the japanese version for my DS. Is this game going to have long term appeal?
Does Tetris or Puzzle Bobble have long term appeal?
If you answer that question with yes than this game is likely to provide long-term appeal to you as well!
But in all honesty, nobody here has played the game so to be really sure you'll have to try the game yourself.
I know I want it badly, and if it ends up sucking I only have my own intuition to blame... :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Some Japanese gaming mag gave Meteos two 10s and two 9s, maybe Dorimaga or Famitsu.
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

It was Famitsu, I can't wait for this, hopefully it gets picked up by someone quick! :P :P :P :P :P
Neon

Post by Neon »

Import, you lazy dogs. :P
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

DAMN! Do you know what I just saw? I just saw the reason I'm buying a DS. That was amazing. I've been hesistant to jump on the DS, waiting to see how it pans out, what kind of games come out. Meteo just sold me.
jp

Post by jp »

Yeah, a 38/40 in Famitsu is pretty fucking impressive. I'm highly anticipating this game.

On another note, Pac Pix got a 34/40, Another Code 2 Memory got a 35/40(different issue), and Yoshi's Touch N Go got a 35 or 36, I can't remember.

DS is (slowly) starting to get a killer library. 8)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

How the heck does the gameplay in Meteos work? The first part looks like Tetris, but then the blocks launch off into space, and the next part looks shmup-ish. :?

And alpha5099, I find myself converted as well at this point! (JP, your innovation argument helped to win me over!) Except that I don't have the money to get a DS, and I traded some stuff for an N64-and wouldn't owning both systems be a little redundant?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Neon

Post by Neon »

Don't be too eager

That said, you have a genesis, xbox, and saturn to buy games for. DS is the most expensive it will ever be with the least games it will ever have. No reason to jump in at this point with limited finance (I mean this in an inoffensive way).
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Good advice Neon. Although I won't have the XBOX until my birthday in May.

And ,although it does look like a killer, innovative system, it can't play GB and GBC games, and that is a major drawback for me. I may just end up getting a GBA-SP. GBA2, is probably out of the question, especially if it ends up having a price tag like the PSP does.

In any case, after seeing videos of Super Mario DS, I can't wait to play Super Mario 64 on the N64 I traded for. I've only played the game once or twice. Man, I can still remember my first semester of college, Fall '96, when I first saw that game and the N64 on display at Target!

Sheesh, I feel old! :oops:
Farewell to hollow words
jp

Post by jp »

dave4shmups wrote: and wouldn't owning both systems be a little redundant?

Why? Because there's 3 N64 ports planned for the console? (Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, and Rayman DS)

I'd say get it towards the end of March, that way you can get:
Super Mario 64 DS
Feel the Magic
Yoshi's Touch N Go
Wario Ware Touched!
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits
Pac Pix
Rayman DS

And maybe or maybe not Zoo Keeper if it strikes your fancy. And then in April you'll get Polarium. And you could be super hardcore and import Meteos, which I would do if it wasn't for a certain recent purchase.
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

jp wrote:
dave4shmups wrote: and wouldn't owning both systems be a little redundant?

Why? Because there's 3 N64 ports planned for the console? (Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, and Rayman DS)
Mario Kart isn't even a port :P new game as far as I've heard. And Mario64 has enough added content (the minigames) to make it worth it. And recent videos on IGN show Rayman looks terrible so in that case the N64 version is better.
jp

Post by jp »

Fuck the N64 version, just snag the DC one. :D

Anyways, yeah, I'm just trying to point out that the DS really doesn't have too much in common with the N64 gamewise, aside from Mario 64 DS.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Good points JP. I could really care less about Mario Kart anyway, since I'm a single-player gamer.

Do you guys think that there will be a DS price drop once the GBA2 comes out? 'Cause if so, I might be better off waiting for that to happen. Maybe it'll go down from $150 to $100.

Also, I'd still really like to know what the gameplay in Meteos consists of.
Farewell to hollow words
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

dave4shmups wrote: Also, I'd still really like to know what the gameplay in Meteos consists of.
Dave, this video actually shows how Meteos works and what you do: http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=mete ... play_h4d6f

and JP, of course you should get the DC version but he said he has an N64 :)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks a bunch man!

Wow, that looks like Tetris on horse steroids! :shock: I'm still a little unclear about the space scences in the game, though.

OT, how do most GBA games look on the DS?
Farewell to hollow words
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

They look much much better :D