New Star Fox?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Brian

New Star Fox?

Post by Brian »

I put this in off-topic, I suppose it belongs here.

Anyway, has anybody gotten a chance to play this? I have not and I was wondering if it is any good. I have read that the ground missions ruin the game a bit, but anybody here actually own it or played it?
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

The game was available for rent at Blockbuster 2 weeks before release, I think it came out today.

If Assault is half the game SF64 was, I'll still like it.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I rented it last week and liked it quite a bit. Here are my impressions which I posted on TNL last week. Bear in mind though I didn't get to finish the game. But I really enjoyed what I played of it:
*Some spoilers below for those that care*

I rented the game Tuesday night, get to keep it till Sunday. Not bad for $6.50. Anyhoo, I am having a blast with it so far. The on foot bits are nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be. Fox controls fine, not too floaty and I love quickly mowing down spider bots and monkeys with a machine gun or taking down transport hubs with a sniper lazer. I also love the spider boss you have to ride the tank with, very slick.

Of course, I like the flight missions the best. Especially the first two levels and when you have to go from on foot in the criminal base then switch to Arwing and take on Star Wolf (last level I played, the dramatic Zorro'esque music is a nice touch too). Nice use of continuing characters too, neat to see Pigma breaking away from Star Wolf and being replaced with newcomer Panther and glad they did away with Andross's fleet early on (so far anyways...) I think I'm gonna buy it.

Me and a friend who used to play the snot out of the 64 cartridge both really enjoy the multiplayer so far also. My only gripe is the all vehicles/on foot level we tried felt a bit awkard when using an arwing to take on someone running on foot. But that's unfair anyways.

Still that said, I wish Nintendo had let the Ace Combat team just make a SF 64 update. For what it is though, I like it.
Also, the multiplayer feels quite a bit like it did in SF 64, but maybe with a bit more balance to it. Maybe it's just me but once someone got the upper hand/drop on you in SF 64 multi, you were done for. But in SF Assault you can rebound and take down the other player. I came back from a 2 loss round, something I was never able to do with the 64 cart. But maybe that's just me.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Xevious is an unlockable bonus in the game (you have to collect 10 silver badges). Xevious does not support progressive scan. ;)
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

The first stage with the flying on rails - original Starfox - feeling is awesome. Then a few missions later the next flying part comes up and it is wacky full 3-D movement. :? I was hoping the game would be closer to the original, and have majority forward scrolling on-rails play.

Kiken wrote:Xevious does not support progressive scan. ;)

Well that blows.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Well, Charley-Barley, you managed to YET AGAIN not have a Kiken avatar! :P
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ok, I sat down and played through the first two missions on Silver (read: Normal).

The Arwing missions are the best part, followed by the on-foot missions. However, the LandMaster (tank) is a complete pain to use.

As usual, your co-pilots are ni-useless... about all they're good for is dropping power-ups during the Arwing missions... otherwise, they're there as cannon-fodder. My biggest qualm with the Arwing though is that it can only lock-on to one target at a time with its charge shot. Panzer-Dragoon this is not. However, the flying portions do stay very true to the prior games.

In the ground missions, Fox run pretty fast, so despite having a large area to cover, it's not such a pain to move around. However, get inside the LandMaster and the only thing you've gained is a stronger weapon.

I'll try to play through some more this evening.
OptimusPrimeX

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

oxtsu wrote:The first stage with the flying on rails - original Starfox - feeling is awesome. Then a few missions later the next flying part comes up and it is wacky full 3-D movement. :? I was hoping the game would be closer to the original, and have majority forward scrolling on-rails play.

Well that blows.
it was suppose to be like that, but i'm sure for the mass audiences, they were forced to put in more than just a rail shooter, which is a real disappointment. Especially being that in the early development cycle, it was suppose to be nothing like SF adventure, and more like ST64 and Snes Starfox..... too bad. Well.. at least i still have my Panzer Dragoon ORta.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yea, the land and foot missions are what is keeping me from buying it. The world needs more rail shooters.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

OptimusPrimeX wrote:
oxtsu wrote:The first stage with the flying on rails - original Starfox - feeling is awesome. Then a few missions later the next flying part comes up and it is wacky full 3-D movement. :? I was hoping the game would be closer to the original, and have majority forward scrolling on-rails play.

Well that blows.
it was suppose to be like that, but i'm sure for the mass audiences, they were forced to put in more than just a rail shooter, which is a real disappointment. Especially being that in the early development cycle, it was suppose to be nothing like SF adventure, and more like ST64 and Snes Starfox..... too bad. Well.. at least i still have my Panzer Dragoon ORta.
ST64 had some full 3D stages too. Just becuase Star Fox Assault isn't all on rails doesn't mean that it's not true to the other Star Fox games. From what I heard, the on foot stages are nothing like the ones in Star Fox Adventures. Sheesh, did you even read the other posts is this topic? Not a single person said that Star Fox Assault is like Star Fox Adventures.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Minzoku wrote:Well, Charley-Barley, you managed to YET AGAIN not have a Kiken avatar! :P
Boy am I glad my name doesn't rhyme with anything. Snkkkt. :P *runs off*
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Kiken wrote: The Arwing missions are the best part, followed by the on-foot missions. However, the LandMaster (tank) is a complete pain to use.
I disagree. While I'd obviously rather have the on-rails action of the SF64 Landmaster stages, I had no problem controlling the tank in both the initial base and snow stage (as far as I got). Sometimes turning around can be a bit of a stitch but IIRC it seems to be balanced so that the enemies aren't putting cheap hits on ya from behind while you maneuver to kill them. Also, hovering to ride and blast the orb on the giant spider boss was a breeze.

I dunno, I think the on foot and free roaming tank bits are fast paced and shooty enough to keep me satisfied. I may buy it along with P.N.03 next paycheck.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Specineff wrote:Boy am I glad my name doesn't rhyme with anything. Snkkkt. :P *runs off*
Tell me your real name, and I can find something :twisted:

Messy Jeff :P
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Ok. Here's two clues: Academy Awards. The Grouch.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Oscar :twisted:

It rhymes with boxer! owned.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

o|~ My shmupper has a first name... it's O-S-C-A-R... my shmupper has a last name... it's S-H-M-U-P...per...

[I've been trying to work shmups into that song somehow, but I don't know anything really good to use.]

Really, I just end up taking $name and adding/replacing $char1 with "B"... Xena-Beana, Gabey-Baby [Gabriel], and Callie-Ballie for the cats [though Misty was Misty-Pisty], Fawxie-Boxey or Casey-Basey for Tails [Tailsy-Bailsy!], Loney-Boney or Barren Aron, Jason-Bason... uh... Thomas-Bomb-Us...

Oscar Boscar :P

Mosquer :mrgreen:

Okay, that's enough not-topic. :?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Boxcar rhymes with it. I think. Is that even a word?
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I tried out one of the demo units and found that the rail shooter stages were excellent, and the on foot stages were quite annoying. I'm thinking that overall, this one's probably a "pick it up when the price goes down" game.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
df0notfound

Post by df0notfound »

Kiken wrote: My biggest qualm with the Arwing though is that it can only lock-on to one target at a time with its charge shot. Panzer-Dragoon this is not. However, the flying portions do stay very true to the prior games.
Thats the whole point its about targeting on to the right enemy to combo the maximum number at once, well it was in SF64 anyway. This isn't meant to be like Rez or anything where its just a basic mind numbing targeting fest.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

OK, second opinion: I figured out how to switch the ground stages to a 2-stick control scheme, and it's a lot more playable that way (Z run? What half-insane pizza-addled engineer came up with that one?) That makes it a lot more playable, but the Landmaster is still a real pain to control.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0