The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
cicada88

Re: The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by cicada88 »

European Knights in Armor groping sleeping Japanese princesses, tell us more Kaida
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Speaking of Strider artists, remember this?
Also, check out the awesome Secret File 26! (Strider 2 era.)
BIL wrote:Now I wonder if he did Strider's MD boxart too, and possibly Forgotten Worlds and Senjou no Okami II's. Strider's definitely has a few recognisable aspects (Hiryu's skin and hair tone, Mecha Pon's Kaiju pose, the back cover's Gareggatastic aerial battle). They're all uncredited AFAIK, will look around a bit. I love having these four around. (^ω^)
Now this was damn interesting. Senjou no Ookami II's front looks a bit more like the Capcom artist behind Street Fighter II' Plus Championship Edition (phew) but I'm only seeing that one online, not in very high detail levels.

I grabbed a bunch of MD games off the shelf (I have the SGX Daimakaimura and the X68000 only, unfortunately...systems I don't own in working shape, LAWL) and what I found was interesting:

SGX Daimakaimura has some more typical design elements with a combination of painting (?) with straight pencil lines. Still smashingly good, but doesn't have the face exploding effect of a work done all with one consistent style. Looked at as a control so that I can be sure I'm not just seeing the same techniques used everywhere.
Super Metroid, Tactics Ogre 7 - control pics, totally different. OB7's artist is obviously later working on Vagrant Story.
Shining Force games (three on the MD that I looked at) all have a distinct style unlike all the other games.
SFII'+CE is recognizable Capcom art, not Sega.
Phantasy Star II & End of the Millennium (IV) have a pretty unique style, somewhere between sketchy watercolor and hard paint. Despite PSIII coming inbetween, that style doesn't seem to have changed. That's quite interesting, since I'm not sure where else that style was used.
Monster World IV is done in clay, at least the cover models.
Golden Axe is, even looking through the plastic, obviously done with very high levels of detail by Boris Vallejo. It's screaming with quality and there's no rough contrasts between dabs of paint, though everybody looks so...oily. :mrgreen: Oh, and the composition isn't interesting.

Now here's the interesting bit: Phantasy Star I, possibly Phantasy Star III, Strider and Super Shinobi II all could just possibly be seen as the progression of one artist (going by game release dates - guess 1987 for PS1, though the rerelease is 1994; 1989 for PSIII; 1990 for Sega's Strider; 1993 for Super Shinobi II), with a movement from big dabs of paint in muscle / facial features in PS1's cover (Odin/Tyron is a good example of this) along with longer, busy dabs of paint in fabric (Tyron's pants) to a flirtation with much more detailed / precise lines, at the cost of quite simple designs (PSIII), back to the big paint dab style in Strider but with the longer lines in pants handled more confidently / quickly, to overall improvements in Super Shinobi II's cover, which has lots of little details right. With the exception of PSIII, all choose unique poses for the characters (PSIII's front and back covers echo PSII). Backgrounds are detailed rather differently - Strider's back cover has a desert backdrop with what look like ancient building foundations peeking through the sand, and is different enough I kept switching back and forth from the two covers - though straight gradient backdrops feature in both PS3 and SS2 (though, in SS2, it might be fog at the level of the bridge scaffold Joe is on). Lots of other little bullet list elements, too: Swords or blades (all 4 titles)! Flashes or glows on swords (2) or off to the side, next to an axe (1)! Big cloudy planets in the background (3), or halos that might be encircling fog or planets, can't tell (PS1)! All the halos have some kind of color glow / feathering at their edges. The PS games have unobscured characters, while SS2 Joe's white helmet is framed by some convenient smoke escaping hoses, and Strider's standing in front of some red fog.

Unfortunately I can't be exceptionally sure about this. What's to say that SS2 doesn't have more in common with PS2 and End of the Millennium? So close, yet far, are the differences.

What strikes me most about Strider's art, other than the awesome composition of the cover (Strider himself looks kind of mud-encrusted and less well defined than I'd like), is the back cover. From this distance it looks a lot like Senjou no Ookami II MD. This is why I was flipping - I couldn't really be sure if I thought it was the same artist as the front or not (though I think it is), and more importantly if it is the same artist as the other games.

I also would like to know who did the pretty good sketchy style art for the GG Shinobi games, and why I have two copies of SFC Sparkster. Finally, here's Game Gear Arena. From a distance it looked like it was possibly in the same vein as the other releases, but from the few images of this - seems to be exclusive to the UK/Euro markets - I get more of an A.D. 2000 feel. Also, HG101 called it "Kusoge of the week," which might mean something or other. It does look like it was done by some guys just starting out in the industry, and it looks like there's lots of running, so HG101 might be on point here. Still, awesome UK cover.

Overall, from a technical point of view the Strider cover and those I compared it with - even SS2 - aren't as detailed as the Vallejo Golden Axe cover (which has a boring composition) or, surprisingly, the exceedingly precise lines and dynamic pose of SFC Super Metroid. However, the overall compositions of Mystery Artist Of Strider are so damn good that it ends up being at least as good.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Here's one I'd not thought of... according to Mobygames, Kaida also did E-SWAT's MD cover. Unlike Daimakaimura, it's not credited to him on the piece itself (in English, anyway) - but it does mesh with his other work, and further suggests to me Strider was his too (particularly the broadly similar composition of their back covers).

E-SWAT front
Spoiler
E-SWAT back
Spoiler
Strider Hiryu front
Spoiler
Strider Hiryu back
Spoiler
Kaida's quite an accomplished artist in fields outside gaming, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a good catalogue of his work somewhere, perhaps in Japanese? I really dig his style, and the Garegga connection is cool. :mrgreen:

edit: haha, just noticed the "cover illustration by yuji kaida" printed on E-SWAT's back cover (center-left). I'll do some snoopin' around my MD shelf when I get home today and see if anything is more visible in person on Strider, Forgotten Worlds or Senjou.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I dropped a couple quick corrections (?) in the other thread, but I have to say those are good comparisons. The E-SWAT cover almost has black outlining, but it's broken, not a hard outline - cool technique. The overall look of the buildings and the composition seems to be a striking feature in these works - I'm still not quite happy with the Strider front, especially Strider himself, being one of his works, but it does look possible given that Strider's features are smaller. Just as interestingly, I think the E-SWAT style obviously meshes with the Super Shinobi II cover; even things like pinpoint glows (Joe's sword, lights on buildings) is basically exactly as it is in E-SWAT. Looks like my first guesses weren't very good!

Kaida interviewed, film at whenever you click:
http://secretspacebase.blogspot.com/201 ... da-on.html

Looks like he did a shitton of mecha / kaijuu stuff, with a name that's almost an anagram for kaiju, why the hell not?

World of Arcades reports this is the second page of a gallery of his stuff - not so sure on that, but it looks good:
http://www.world-of-arcades.net/R8zing/ ... llery2.htm
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Megadrive - Eswat - 1-Life clear with audio commentary + tips

http://youtu.be/9og8dq5ifOA
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:Megadrive - Eswat - 1-Life clear with audio commentary + tips

http://youtu.be/9og8dq5ifOA
Oh, thanks! Started playing this a few days ago, so this is quite helpful.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

First real RGB CRT TV Vampire Killer experience here... What a next-gen Castlevania game!
Is the spear dude run considered an easier clear?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Eric is probably stronger than John, but both characters are powerful enough to make mincemeat of the game. Provided you've got all the right moves.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:First real RGB CRT TV Vampire Killer experience here... What a next-gen Castlevania game!
Is the spear dude run considered an easier clear?
If you abuse the invulnerability on the super jump, definitely. Probably still a bit easier even if you don't.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Squire Grooktook

The super jump is a nice bonus for toying with certain patterns, but it's not what I'd call a big advantage. If you have enough time to crouch, charge up, and than time the vault, than you could probably avoid the attack just as well by just moving out of the way. The biggest advantage it gives is that it allows you to avoid retreating and continue attacking against some boss attacks (Stage 1 Doggy miniboss's breath, Frank miniboss's shock wave, a few others etc.)

Eric's real strength is his reach, which more than compensates for being slightly slower than John's whip. You can really put on the pressure, continuously attacking enemies, with his spear reach. The ability to attack diagonally and upward on the ground is nothing to sneeze at either, and opens up quite a few new strategies.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

This. Dark Souls halberd cheese in Castlevania!

Speaking of E-SWAT and cover arts, I actually like the Genesis / Euro MD cover quite a bit, even if it shouldn't remind me of Scott Bakula.
*dude with cigar and weird calculator saunters on over* Looks like you're a CYBER POLICEMAN this time!
Sam: "Beats being pregnant again."

Is the other half...Roy Batty? Well, both heroes are kind of creepy in their own ways. The MD cover does have the spiffy metropolis scene in the background, so it gets a nod for that and the framing.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I feel as though G/MD castlevania gave both characters great tools but completely forgot about how you're supposed to use them.

There's one whole area when you need to whip-swing or super jump, and this is when the game gets unbalanced, because there aren't many other opportunities to swing throughout the game but you can super jump at any time, making Eric better.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Squire Grooktook

There are not a lot of areas where you need to super jump, but there are quite a few places where you can use it to boost your offense and defense. I think it works pretty well to be honest.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Based on the recommendations of BIL and Perikles, I bought a cart of Twin Cobra on the Genesis to get in on some Toaplan shooting love.

I don't know what it is this time, but the checkpoints don't bother me as much as they did playing Kyukyoku Tiger in the past. I just noticed that the drops of the power-up helicopters will change if you are killed, usually opting to give a second power-up over a bomb or weapon change.

I think the only major complaint I have is that some boss fights, notably stage 2's, are so zoomed in as to make maneuvering out of the question. You either bomb spam or die. Deaths come far more frequently than in Kyukyoku Tiger AC or Twin Cobra AC, and think the screen might be to blame for a number of them.

I have enjoyed it thus far though; I might be able to clear the first loop with a little more practice.

Other MD/Genny Shooting: returning to other games in the collection, struggling in vain to 1CC them.

For some reason I cannot for the life of me defeat the last boss in Forgotten Worlds. I usually have the upgraded shot and laser, but he stands there taking punishment like a real champ. I've heard mention that it's best to stick with the flamethrower for most of the game and save up cash for the homing laser in the final stage. Is it really that simple? It kind of beats up the purpose of the shop if you can only rely on one combo to make it through the game.

Also cracking occasionally at the competent Task Force Harrier EX. I think the game's biggest problems are: a) it's as ugly as sin (four straight levels of white and gray backgrounds, with some truly ugly explosions), and b) the game doesn't really get challenging until the third or fourth level, which is a ways away. However, those qualms aside I tend to have a good time. I like zipping between option formations, upping my speed, creating a bullet shield, or extending the reach of my shot super wide. It's that little touch that gives the port a nice distinction against its arcade counterpart. I doubt I'd recommend fanatics to rush out for a copy, but it might make for a worthwhile run through the rom.

I think I might give up on Air Buster. The game's first three levels are golden fun. But the anti-gravity levels are too hard and too sloppy to be enjoyable. I thought I could cope, and I sorta can for the 4th level, but the 5th one piles on so many enemies at once that death is inevitable given the sub-standard controls. If the anti-gravity was limited to one gimmick stage I could have dealt with it, but i am not sure if I want to finish the game any more. It's a shame because those first three stages are very good.

MISC:
Midnight Resistance is one of those games that looks so shitty you can't help but laugh. It kind of plays shitty too, but in a semi-fun way. It's less fun getting run over by those seemingly undodgeable trucks in the bridge stage though.

After the whopping bullshit of Air Buster or crushing defeats in Forgotten Worlds, I find myself cleansing the palette with Mercs. 8) Or perhaps more accurately "getting my ass handed to me by stage 4-5 of Mercs."
BIL

Post by BIL »

For Kyuukyoku Tiger's st2 boss, just stay in the gap between his parallel forward shots, moving along with him. If you've got the blue spread (and you should!) the incoming snipers will be neutralised too; if not, bombing's a workable compromise and will speed up the boss's destruction.

But yeah, the crash zoom makes things very unnerving indeed. Even knowing what's coming up the game feels brutally nose-to-nose. By accident or design, the effect makes it one of my defining MD shooters, totally distinct from the AC ver (which I also love). Incidentally it wasn't until I got the similarly tough Undead Line that I really started to regret MD Tiger's absence.

For the love of gawd, make sure to try out Mercs' ARPG-styled Original Mode, it's fun as hell. So much hidden stuff dotted about its semi-linear stages, and the difficulty is easily arcade-level. On that note! I will now make amends to Sky Bro by noting that Normal difficulty is totally sufficient for a first play. You'll want to save Hard's merciless onslaught for an experienced replay. ;3
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

EmperorIng wrote:I think the only major complaint I have is that some boss fights, notably stage 2's, are so zoomed in as to make maneuvering out of the question.
It's really more about misleading bosses and bullet anticipation than actual dodging, that's true. One very handy trick: don't destroy the strut that connects the two tanks in stage seven and just let it time out, it's a lot safer than trying to destroy the damn thing.
EmperorIng wrote:For some reason I cannot for the life of me defeat the last boss in Forgotten Worlds. I usually have the upgraded shot and laser, but he stands there taking punishment like a real champ. I've heard mention that it's best to stick with the flamethrower for most of the game and save up cash for the homing laser in the final stage. Is it really that simple? It kind of beats up the purpose of the shop if you can only rely on one combo to make it through the game.
While the homing laser is especially useful I found the final boss in this particular version to be fairly easy to take down just with the flamethrower itself, I would recommend just point-blanking him if you have enough resources left. The PCE incarnation of that boss on the other hand has an absurd amount of health and it's nigh impossible to dodge those laser patterns, luckily there is a (somewhat glitchy) safespot.
EmperorIng wrote:I think I might give up on Air Buster. The game's first three levels are golden fun. But the anti-gravity levels are too hard and too sloppy to be enjoyable. I thought I could cope, and I sorta can for the 4th level, but the 5th one piles on so many enemies at once that death is inevitable given the sub-standard controls. If the anti-gravity was limited to one gimmick stage I could have dealt with it, but i am not sure if I want to finish the game any more. It's a shame because those first three stages are very good.
You can minimize the effect of the control scheme by hugging the edges of the screen, preferably the left one. That being said, this is definitely among the hardest 16-bit shooter clears out there in my opinion, rivaled only by a few other titles (like the even more difficult PCE Aero Blasters for example :lol:). Sixth stage re-installs normal gravity again (well, technically the end of stage five), but at the price of surgically tricky maneuvering passages...
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

EmperorIng wrote:I've heard mention that it's best to stick with the flamethrower for most of the game and save up cash for the homing laser in the final stage. Is it really that simple? It kind of beats up the purpose of the shop if you can only rely on one combo to make it through the game.
I strongly prefer to pick up the wave cannon thingy and destroy those stationary electric gate shooters in the south-south path of the Egyptian level. Something like 40k or so Zenny can get picked up, and I don't think you can kill any/that many of them with the flamethrower.

The homing laser does make the final boss kinda easy, and I didn't know it was ever hard to afford? I managed to 1CC the genesis version with the autofire option turned on as a callow youth, and I suck.

The arcade version... ehhhhh. Drives me crazy how the satellite rotates in place while you're shooting. Need to line up its shots with the gun, and use it as a shield to eat bullets... Not a big fan of the game without the auto-align the Genesis version offers.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:On that note! I will now make amends to Sky Bro by noting that Normal difficulty is totally sufficient for a first play. You'll want to save Hard's merciless onslaught for an experienced replay. ;3
Now you tell me! I was wondering why I was getting butchered after taking your advice to kick off on the hard setting.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

trap15

Post by trap15 »

EmperorIng wrote:It's less fun getting run over by those seemingly undodgeable trucks in the bridge stage though.
You want to get flamethrower ASAP, and the super shot ASAP. When you do that, just take that stage by running right, and when the trucks appear fire left. You're unable to dodge them, you just need to kill them before they get to you. I've 1CC'd the game on Very Hard, I know the pain 8)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Could someone tell me the name of the highlighted game? Looks like something Koei but I've not had any luck searching. Not sure if it's a licensed release, even.

(alternatively, if someone JP-literate could just give a rough translation that'd be cool too ^_~ )
zinger

Post by zinger »

That's Sookoban.
SOUNDSHOCK
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks!

I'm looking for official releases whose spines have colour above the "MD" logo. This is the first common one I've found. Some copies of Eliminate Down I've seen are like this, including my own. Xyga said his is, too. Some on ebay aren't, which of course raises the question of bootlegging (assuming it's not down to a print error, or some other harmless production variant).

Sokoban spine
Spoiler
Eliminate Down spine, center
Spoiler
Another example? Third from left
Spoiler
Trying to figure out what's what. Image
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

trap15 wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:It's less fun getting run over by those seemingly undodgeable trucks in the bridge stage though.
You want to get flamethrower ASAP, and the super shot ASAP. When you do that, just take that stage by running right, and when the trucks appear fire left. You're unable to dodge them, you just need to kill them before they get to you. I've 1CC'd the game on Very Hard, I know the pain 8)
Thanks for the tip - it has made that level a whole lot more bearable. I think of all the stupid (funny) shit in the game, the boss fight against the jets is just too cool of a setpiece.

I'm enjoying my copy of Sagaia for the Genesis. The disappointment of the Saturn port (whose few but critical flaws ACSeraph and I have griped many times about) has nudged me towards this version as a compromise. Compromising the three-screen set-up for heightened playability and bullets you can actually see.

All told, it's a pretty good arrangement now that I can sit down with it more fully than casual random emulator play. It obviously still carries the original flaws of one-hit = restart, and some seemingly impossible-to-survive-without-a-shield moments, but the different level design makes for a refreshing addition to the arcade's more sedate stages.

Much like Twin Cobra MD, the smaller screen means a few attacks are a lot more lightning quick (like Drio Sawm's lunge), but this doesn't really up the difficulty until Earth or Mars.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

EmperorIng wrote:the boss fight against the jets is just too cool of a setpiece.
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes that part is probably a big reason why I kept playing the game. There's so much cool stuff and so many Data East-isms everywhere, it's hard to not like.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Been giving E-SWAT another try. I didn't watch the presumably excellent commentary before so take this as a newcomer take on the game. I think making a good impression is important in a game and I wouldn't want to ignore certain points just because there is a way around them. (Additionally, I'm too lazy to pull out my JP MD at the moment so I'm just playing the US/EUR ROM in Fusion.)

Don't remember what I said before about it - if I said it's like Rolling Thunder-ish, that's certainly not very much true - it's nice that it's visually really close to Shinobi, complete with the gibberish text blocks and enemy portraits in the same style. Music is kind of a mixed bag.

As far as the gameplay, I guess the phrase is "appreciate more than enjoy." There's a bunch of design decisions here I don't even appreciate, even though they make the game rather unique. I didn't have trouble getting into the prison maze this time, but it's just a waste and getting to the end of it isn't intuitive. I don't like the "endless conveyor belt" jumping / hover puzzle, the Tetris block puzzle made me groan, and I don't like the platform rides either, though I can appreciate the refinements to the idea. It's also far too easy to incur repeated damage strikes due to wrong placement, with enemies easily getting three shots just due to contact. I'm also kind of iffy on the (relatively few) places where you can destroy enemy shots - I don't see that contributing to good game design (it completely trivializes the stage 2 bosses). Add on to this the heavy puzzle element with using the correct weapons - I found it very hard to pass the slime rushes in the lab even when using the rocket launcher, and you have to time your rocket firing carefully due to the refire delay. Maybe somebody likes all these things put together, but personally it just felt like a disappointment to have to do something that particular in what was otherwise a fantastic set piece.

With the bigger sprites and lots of hazards quickly pressing into view the challenge level is pretty high, in a way vaguely similar to Return of the Joker on NES. There's less time to deal with a lot of obstacles. Likewise, the actual combat is based on being ready to fire as soon as something shows up, instead of needing to take a more tactical and timed approach. It's not always true, but it often is. The secret sewers is tough as it has some of this, and also a number of enemies that also require a bit more timing finesse. Many of the later bosses aren't easy, but the "infinite burner" boss (stage 6 I think - E-SWAT's super gravity gun moment?) is quite hard to deal with since it's often shooting right offscreen. Oh, and I didn't like Neo Three Mile's boss at all (timing jumps repeatedly seems to be it).

One thing which I think hurts the game on balance is the heavily limited burner recharge. In the sixth stage (I believe it is - the one with the Tetris puzzle) there are a few places where it would be more helpful than nice to have a bit more burner time, but occasionally they haven't added a recharge platform where it would be a good idea.

It's been a while since I've played Super Shinobi II / Shinobi III and I'm especially interested to see how the lab stages stack up. It's interesting to see Sega revisiting some of the same themes. I have to say, if this game allowed a bit more flexibility in using different weapons, had a bit more freedom, and better stage design (from the standpoint of setting up set pieces), I'd probably enjoy it more.

One final note of confusion - early on I felt that using the charge shot while walking forward made you continue on for a bit. I tried testing this and later decided to dismiss it out of hand, but in a later stage I noticed my character continued walking all the way into the wall and I had to re-depress that direction in order to get control back, it seemed. I don't have anything concrete here and I'm not even sure it's not PC or emulator related, but I am looking out for this issue from now on.

Certainly an incredible game, but much of the challenge isn't presented in a way I like (if I can say that without sounding too scrubby...)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Been snooping around the outskirts of the MD's shooter catalogue recently.

Curse one of the lesser-liked MD originals, certainly on here - I was expecting a kusopocalypse. Actually it's not bad. Not particularly good, but the dense, pacey stage design, useful Option mechanic and high kill count keep it well clear of shit tier. Aesthetically undistinguished, but I was dreadfully amused to be blowing away Kolibris in the first stage.

Unfortunately the whole production is tainted by the infamously choppy framerate. It's not bad enough to seriously interfere with play, for the most part, but it makes it hard to recommend what would otherwise be a fun earlier (1989) MD shooter curio.

Raiden Densetsu lovely little conversion of the old Seibu warhorse. I tend to favour Raiden II's enormously more detailed and gratifying destruction, but the original's clean simplicity and characteristically muted palette suit the MD perfectly. I found myself playing this a lot longer than I have the PS1 port of late. Difficulty defaults to Easy, with Normal definitely meaner than the average console STG. Still milder than AC on account of lower boss HP, but certainly busy enough to capture its spirit. Interestingly the bombs' zako+bullet clearing effect is now fullscreen, making things feel slightly more freewheeling - not unpleasingly so.

Despite coming from Micronet (Curse) it runs with impeccable smoothness, and the 3:4 conversion is implemented as deftly as in Toaplan's superb MD Same Same. So yes, Kyuukyoku Tiger's copycat plays more like KT than its own MD port. :mrgreen:

Only real casualty is the audio; BGM is a little weak, and the trademark Raiden Explosion Sound is sorely missed (though there's some good bassy stand-ins). As with the CPS1 quartet, I had to pick this up despite already owning the more accurate 32-bit port. Raiden-loving MD archaeologists should check it out.

Fire Mustang oh WAO. I love this game and its Axis-mowing action! Image It's as bare-bones as hori shooting gets, with the port likewise feeling very quick n' dirty (down to the "You Cannot [Not] Continue" - in your face, DUX!). Neither point detracts from some of the fastest, most relentless and most immediate shooter action on 16-bit. The raking spreadshot and carpeting missiles feel great to unleash, onrushing enemy formations soon become truly fierce, and I think there's rank? Certainly feels harder to hold onto the no-miss the further I go. Spartan and brisk. Will delight some for the same reason it'll dismay others. I rove it. :3

with NMK rovin'

Also nabbed Columns because Columns. Already have the Saturn collection but my love of the MD's demi-arcade nature makes me grativate towards those early flagship ports. edit: WTB a mint as fuck Juuoki.
Last edited by BIL on Thu May 28, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

BIL wrote:Curse one of the lesser-liked MD originals, certainly on here - I was expecting a kusopocalypse. Actually it's not bad. Not particularly good, but the dense, pacey stage design, useful Option mechanic and high kill count keep it well clear of shit tier. Aesthetically undistinguished, but I was dreadfully amused to be blowing away Kolibris in the first stage.

Unfortunately the whole production is tainted by the infamously choppy framerate. It's not bad enough to seriously interfere with play, for the most part, but it makes it hard to recommend what would otherwise be a fun earlier (1989) MD shooter curio.
My biggest gripe with Curse is the way the developers handled the final stage. It's almost as if they realised that the game is fairly short & easy and that some corrections were to be made in order to rectify that. So all of a sudden the game turns into a checkpoint-based memoriser with a ton of insta-kill lasers. :lol: It's still not all that demanding with a little bit of memorisation, but it leaves a sour taste. I don't mind if a game switches its premise the other way around (Vapor Trail (MD) has checkpoints in the stages, but instant respawns during boss fights), this sort of difficulty managing feels really cheap, though.
BIL wrote:Raiden Densetsu lovely little conversion of the old Seibu warhorse.
Definitely agree on that. I would've loved if they left out the damn checkpoints for once (if you die somewhere from the sixth stage onwards it's practically a terminated credit) but it's nonetheless a really solid port. I think I like Super Raiden (PCE CD) a tad bit better, but as far as authenticity is concerned this is without a doubt the best 16-bit port of the game.
BIL wrote:Fire Mustang oh WAO. [...] and I think there's rank?
Yes, indeed. Second loop gets nigh impossible because the rank scowlingly shoots through the roof. :shock: You might like the PCE's P-47 which has a similar tone and style even though the overall quality isn't as high (it's much more difficult, however).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Perikles wrote:My biggest gripe with Curse is the way the developers handled the final stage. It's almost as if they realised that the game is fairly short & easy and that some corrections were to be made in order to rectify that. So all of a sudden the game turns into a checkpoint-based memoriser with a ton of insta-kill lasers. :lol: It's still not all that demanding with a little bit of memorisation, but it leaves a sour taste.
Yes - stage 5 is where I decided to call it a day. The choppy framerate was generally tolerable in st1-4, but combined with checkpoints, tight corridors and seemingly hypersensitive terrain collision, I quickly lost resolve.

Dunno if I'll ever bother with it again, but I'm glad I at least tried it out. Both Curse and XDR tend to be regarded as total abominations but from what I've seen, they're just lower tier.

I did like those godawful hairy eyeball things lurking in the ceilings and floors of Curse's third stage! (I'd deliberately not destroy them before they'd sprang their ineffectual diagonal ambush)

Good to know about Mustang's loop, I was already finding it pretty brisk by stage 5. I like how the perpetually rushing parallax BGs gradually feel more apropros as the action heats up, haha. Also how tanks, battleships and apparently turrets comfortably book along with you at a leisurely 200mph or so. :mrgreen:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Interesting that Fire Mustang is in a standard MD cart (telling from the pic) rather than Taito's own carts.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Also of interest that it's a Taito-published port of a UPL-published PCB. :smile: I wonder if that had anything to do with the name change from "USAAF Mustang."

The New Zealand Story is in a standard MD cart + snapcase too, despite being (afaik) 100% Taito.
Ed Oscuro wrote:One final note of confusion - early on I felt that using the charge shot while walking forward made you continue on for a bit. I tried testing this and later decided to dismiss it out of hand, but in a later stage I noticed my character continued walking all the way into the wall and I had to re-depress that direction in order to get control back, it seemed. I don't have anything concrete here and I'm not even sure it's not PC or emulator related, but I am looking out for this issue from now on.
I've had that happen a few times over the years with various gamepad + emulator combinations, particularly WolfMAME 0.99 and a knockoff Saturn-style USB pad. Come to think of it, it's been a long while since it last happened... I remember making a thread about it in Hardware, years back. Never did pin down a cause.

Those sliding kick guys in E-SWAT's first stage gave me baaad Dynamite Batman vibes and briefly made me consider not picking up the cart, but fortunately they're an exception. st2 maze just sucks unfortunately, and also made me wonder if Mr.SWEAT was gonna get Alex J. Murphied to earn his gear, what with the top brass dumping him into a cyborg prison riot alone with just his piece!

I do get a bit of a Rolling Thunder vibe from the third stage's cover-exploiting baddies. Main sticking point for me, besides the respectively middling and poor opening stages, was the suited-up player character's fragility. Was expecting ruff n' tumble face-punchin' robo action ala Valken, but again it's closer to RT's clinical maneuvering. Once I'd accepted dudebro was sporting tinfoil, it was the lab's RNG slimepit boogie that really got me into it. Very fond of methodically mowing down the sewer stage too. Still need to finish Hard difficulty, a few bits (most notably the final stage's elevator ride) seemed pretty intense with the tightened margin for error. It's not what I'd call an essential early years MD action game like The Super Shinobi, but I do enjoy having it around.