shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:04 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
I've put up info on this on SRK for a while, but I figured it was time to start a thread here for those of you who'd never heard of them :D

Image

Description:

These are basically the opposite of boards like Toodles' Cthulhu or the PS360 which take the button/joystick wire signals and turn them into USB. This takes input from your USB 360 or PS3 controller and turns that into discrete button/joystick wire signals. You could use this to control any number of projects from Superguns to robotics, to anything you can imagine that you'd like to control with your digital 360 or PS3 joystick!

They use essentially the same circuit and firmware as that of the UD-CPS2 (which has run at many major Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Vampire Savior competitions over the last couple of years including X-Mania USA).

Screw Terminal Version Features:

- Terminal Blocks for solder free wiring (signal layout intentionally similar to MC Cthulhu so you can mate them for fun things like TE stick on SNES)
- USB A Socket
- Alternate header for USB signals - for people who don't want to use the on-board USB socket
- Indicator LED - bi-color, red/green
- Alternate header for LED signals - for people who don't want to use the on-board LED
- Pull-Up Selection Jumper - allows for pulling button/joystick signals up to +5V or +3.3V, depending on the application
- Player Select Jumpers - tell the joystick to light up the appropriate controller LED (can be set for P1-P4)
- Custom button mapping - for 6-8 action buttons (same as what you'd expect for Street Fighter series)
- Firmware can be updated via USB for future features/improvements

15 Pin Sub-D Version Features:

- Same as above, minus the Screw Terminals, Aux ports, and supports 6 action buttons vs 8
- Compact housing to protect electronics and look oh so sexy :D
- Clear Laser etched/cut faceplate to keep out debris and allow indicator LED visibility

Price / Ordering:

Price is $35 for the Screw Terminal version and $40 for the DB15 version. I've been selling these via word of mouth, but should have distribution sorted out before the end of the year (2014) with Paradise Arcade Shop. I will post up when they are available there.

Future:

I will continue to improve the firmware features as I have time.

Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions!
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
Also available are a few accessories to help with your application.

Extension Kit for Screw Terminal Version:

Image

Neo Geo Adapter for 15 Pin Sub-D Version:

Image

-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 677
Are the buttons re-configurable? Does it support xbox one and PS4 controllers? I'd imagine PS4 would be easy to implement.
EDIT:

Just read they can be re-mapped and updated via usb.

How much delay is created?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
Pasky wrote:
Are the buttons re-configurable? Does it support xbox one and PS4 controllers? I'd imagine PS4 would be easy to implement.
EDIT:

Just read they can be re-mapped and updated via usb.

How much delay is created?

Buttons are re-configurable when you first plug in your controller. No need for PC app.

No XBone or PS4 support yet, as I've simply not taken the time to investigate, but it seems perfectly doable. Could be added in a future firmware release.

Input delay is mostly based on the controller itself. Previous to this project I thought the input delay would lay heavily on the decoder board, but I found that the controllers themselves can actually be quite laggy. I think the fastest response I've seen has been with Toodles MC Cthulhu which was 2ms response time. The worst was a Madcatz controller (note: not all Madcatz controllers suck this hard) that was an appalling 14ms.
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 380
Location: Sweden
Not 100% sure what i would use this for but this definitely sounds interesting :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 7406
Location: Alingsås, Sweden
Stompp wrote:
Not 100% sure what i would use this for but this definitely sounds interesting :D


To use your USB controller on something with discrete inputs, like a JAMMA supergun or adding an USB gameport for your cabinet (Player 2 controls when you only have a 1L6B panel for example).
_________________
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | Custom shmup move strips! | Now featuring Storm Blade English move strip!
RegalSin wrote:
Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2011
Posts: 987
Location: Southern California
Sweet! I need to get another to give the one on my shelf some company. :P
_________________
The Artcade blog


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:36 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 668
Location: Seattle, WA
Wow. This would easily let a friend bring over a favorite arcade stick controller and wire it into my supergun (DB-15). Very useful!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:07 am 



Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Posts: 91
Location: Denver, CO
Would the db15 version support the pin out for a MAK strike with the added kick buttons, or would I need to use the screw terminal version?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
Glossectomy wrote:
Would the db15 version support the pin out for a MAK strike with the added kick buttons, or would I need to use the screw terminal version?

Mine follows this pinout: http://www.etokki.com/PSX2JAMMA

It appears Buttons 5 & 6 are swapped on the MAK Strike.
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 677
undamned wrote:
Glossectomy wrote:
Would the db15 version support the pin out for a MAK strike with the added kick buttons, or would I need to use the screw terminal version?

Mine follows this pinout: http://www.etokki.com/PSX2JAMMA

It appears Buttons 5 & 6 are swapped on the MAK Strike.
-ud


There's a reason for that as I was told by Xian Xi. If you use the pinout you linked this can occur (and I quote):

Xian Xi wrote:
2. to K1
9. K2 + Select(If no coin button)
10. K3

Reason why is with that pinout you posted you will have some problems with some fighting games since Neo D and Short kick are on the same button. Some games like Vampire Savior and some other have glitches like it won't let you do raging demons and stuff like that because on some fighting games the Neo D button isn't deactivated for some dumb reason.


You should consider changing to that pinout.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:45 pm 



Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Posts: 91
Location: Denver, CO
undamned wrote:
Glossectomy wrote:
Would the db15 version support the pin out for a MAK strike with the added kick buttons, or would I need to use the screw terminal version?

Mine follows this pinout: http://www.etokki.com/PSX2JAMMA

It appears Buttons 5 & 6 are swapped on the MAK Strike.
-ud


Ok thanks, I'm guessing I could swap shot 5 and 6 on the kick harness and have it work. If not I'm sure I could rewire something else.

I'll absolutely be interested in 2 of them when you get more stock.

Thanks!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
Pasky wrote:
undamned wrote:
Glossectomy wrote:
Would the db15 version support the pin out for a MAK strike with the added kick buttons, or would I need to use the screw terminal version?

Mine follows this pinout: http://www.etokki.com/PSX2JAMMA

It appears Buttons 5 & 6 are swapped on the MAK Strike.
-ud


There's a reason for that as I was told by Xian Xi. If you use the pinout you linked this can occur (and I quote):

Xian Xi wrote:
2. to K1
9. K2 + Select(If no coin button)
10. K3

Reason why is with that pinout you posted you will have some problems with some fighting games since Neo D and Short kick are on the same button. Some games like Vampire Savior and some other have glitches like it won't let you do raging demons and stuff like that because on some fighting games the Neo D button isn't deactivated for some dumb reason.


You should consider changing to that pinout.

If the button is not pressed, my decoder's output for that button is inactive. I have no idea what he's talking about. Please link to the context of that discussion.
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 677
It was actually a private message when asking about the DB15 pinout of a super gun. That was the full context actually.

Quote:
As for the DB15 wiring, I don't use that pinout since it isn't friendly on some games but if that's the pinout you want I can wire it up like that. I wouldn't recommend it.


Followed by:

Quote:
Also forgot to say the pinout I use is:

2. K1
9. K2 + Select(If no coin button)
10. K3

Reason why is with that pinout you posted [The same picture you had above undamnned] you will have some problems with some fighting games since Neo D and Short kick are on the same button. Some games like Vampire Savior and some other have glitches like it won't let you do raging demons and stuff like that because on some fighting games the Neo D button isn't deactivated for some dumb reason.


I'm assuming he means the actual neo geo sticks/control pads?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
Pasky wrote:
I'm assuming he means the actual neo geo sticks/control pads?

That is the only way it could make sense. If a player wants to use an offical 4 button Neo Geo controller on a 6-button Capcom fighter, that's what I call user error :D
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:42 pm 



Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Posts: 91
Location: Denver, CO
Is there any time estimate for when they'll be available?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:12 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
Glossectomy wrote:
Is there any time estimate for when they'll be available?

Screw Terminal version is available immediately, DB15 version should be next month (just need to order boards & faceplates).
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
emphatic wrote:
Stompp wrote:
Not 100% sure what i would use this for but this definitely sounds interesting :D


To use your USB controller on something with discrete inputs, like a JAMMA supergun or adding an USB gameport for your cabinet (Player 2 controls when you only have a 1L6B panel for example).

Indeed. They can also run in parallel with your existing controls so that your friends who are picky about using their own joystick an just plug into your cab. We ran this setup @ EVO 2014 for the SSFIIX events:

Image

Alex Valle (personal joystick) vs Marsgattai (cab)
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:25 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
Now available through Paradise Arcade Shop!!! :D

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/1491- ... coder.html

-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 392
Glad I found this thread! I've been looking for a converter that would allow me to use an xbox 360 controller on my Jamma test bench. The control panel I use now is just to bulky, a 360 controller would save a lot of space!

PS - I recognize those db15 faceplates, I used the same ones in the early version of my mini SLG product. :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:07 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
Crafty+Mech wrote:
Glad I found this thread! I've been looking for a converter that would allow me to use an xbox 360 controller on my Jamma test bench. The control panel I use now is just to bulky, a 360 controller would save a lot of space!

Sweet! This should do the trick! :D

Crafty+Mech wrote:
I recognize those db15 faceplates, I used the same ones in the early version of my mini SLG product. :)

I designed that plate from scratch, actually. USB hole location is off center. Was someone actually offering a generic plate specifically for old DB15 shells?
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 392
undamned wrote:
Crafty+Mech wrote:
Glad I found this thread! I've been looking for a converter that would allow me to use an xbox 360 controller on my Jamma test bench. The control panel I use now is just to bulky, a 360 controller would save a lot of space!

Sweet! This should do the trick! :D

Crafty+Mech wrote:
I recognize those db15 faceplates, I used the same ones in the early version of my mini SLG product. :)

I designed that plate from scratch, actually. USB hole location is off center. Was someone actually offering a generic plate specifically for old DB15 shells?
-ud


Whoops, I meant the DB15 shells not the faceplates!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 417
Location: Norway
This is awesome! I really want the DB15 version for my CMVS. Do you have these available now? I see Paradise Arcade only have the screw terminal version.
_________________
YouTube - Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
RaidenViper wrote:
This is awesome! I really want the DB15 version for my CMVS. Do you have these available now? I see Paradise Arcade only have the screw terminal version.

I should be building more next week :D I'll post up when they are ready for ya.
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 417
Location: Norway
undamned wrote:
RaidenViper wrote:
This is awesome! I really want the DB15 version for my CMVS. Do you have these available now? I see Paradise Arcade only have the screw terminal version.

I should be building more next week :D I'll post up when they are ready for ya.
-ud

great! :D
_________________
YouTube - Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Posts: 227
undamned wrote:
The worst was a Madcatz controller (note: not all Madcatz controllers suck this hard) that was an appalling 14ms.
-ud


which controller are you talking about?

I own this mad catz stick Image is it tested ? 14ms would be horrible


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
RuffNEC wrote:
undamned wrote:
The worst was a Madcatz controller (note: not all Madcatz controllers suck this hard) that was an appalling 14ms.
-ud


which controller are you talking about?

This one:

Image

-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 392
Got mine working with my xbox 360 controller on my Jamma test bench! Works great, frees up a lot of space that my oversized arcade stick was occupying.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:28 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Posts: 227
undamned wrote:
RuffNEC wrote:
undamned wrote:
The worst was a Madcatz controller (note: not all Madcatz controllers suck this hard) that was an appalling 14ms.
-ud


which controller are you talking about?

This one:

[img]madcatz-japan-pro.jpg[/img]

-ud


mhm seems a new one. mine is the Street Fighter IV 20th anni. stick from 2011 or so. any tests results with this one? I really want to buy a ud-usb decoder (with case) when its available and hopefully playable without lag on that stick hooked up to a supergun.

is there an external power supply needed? How does it work?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 3262
Location: Phoenix
RuffNEC wrote:
mine is the Street Fighter IV 20th anni. stick from 2011 or so. any tests results with this one? I really want to buy a ud-usb decoder (with case) when its available and hopefully playable without lag on that stick hooked up to a supergun.

is there an external power supply needed? How does it work?

I've not done any lag testing on that particular model, but everything else I've done lag testing on (probably 20 different controllers) was way faster than that other Madcatz stick. Madcatz stuff is pretty good in general, so I have no idea how they managed to botch that one so badly in the lag department. Fastest controller I've tested was the MC Cthulhu, which was 2ms response time from button press to my decoder's output.

No external power supply needed for the enclosed model. You just need +5V present on the DB15 port you are plugging into.
-ud
_________________
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: airco, karmeck, Mobiusstriptech, Voultar and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group