Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ex_Mosquito

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Here is a 1-Life clear of the arcade version of Chelnov. This is a little different than the usual ones on YouTube. This replay using a safe-spot and weapon exploit. There is short audio explanation at the start of the replay to explain the details. Unfortunately this strategy doesn't work on the Megadrive version.

http://youtu.be/DjuxIQh3MqU
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent work, thanks for the detailed as usual replay. You know you're watching a superplayer when even his phone is tearing it up! I'm torn on watching any further than stage 3 for now, cause I know you'll own the hell out of it and I've not played the MD version properly yet. ^__^

Do you know how the MD one stacks up to the arcade mechanically? I've only played the port and sometimes wonder if it was toned down (or up) at all, or had anything major added/removed. I'd have gotten the cancelled Saturn arcade port for sure.

I knew there was another console game I'd meant to ask you about, along with Holy Diver - Capcom's Codename: Viper aka Ningen Heiki: Dead Fox. I've been playing the FC version semi-seriously over the last few weeks. It's a super-solid and impressively uncompromising Rolling Thunder/Shinobi-style strategic shooter; by stage 3 things are getting tight indeed, by 5 it's become a ruthless killer. The constant door-checking for randomly shuffled items, hostages and POWs can get a little excessive, but it's so quick to pop back out and so easy to get killed for any lapse of concentration while doing so, it's ultimately not a major issue. Only the POW is needed to clear the stage (one per), the four hostages dotted about are just for style points.

Only quit because it was starting to require more concentration than I could give; looking forward to making a holiday project of it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

People are insane! I finally got around to playing through the first level of Dark Void Zero, and this "great homage to the NES era" plays and looks more like an early Duke Nukem with a jetpack, except there's a lot more unskippable useless chatting than in those titles. Game feels sluggish and unresponsive when you're getting around with the jetpack, and level design is pretty bad as well. Can't say enough bad things about this one. Was only a $2, but it's also bundled with Securom (even though it's a Steam game launched originally for $5). Bleh.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

The thing about Steam reviews (if that's where you're getting that from) is that it's nearly impossible for negative reviews to rise to the top of the hub/store page unless the game is out and out unplayable garbage. I have the most popular (or at least, the one with the most reaction votes) negative review of Sine Mora, but I haven't seen it on the store page in a while.

Speaking of indie retro platformers, I recently watched Slowbeef stream Super Cyborg, a very competent looking arcade style Contra derivative. I have to say, from what I saw (and played of the demo) the level design is quite excellent, and some of the boss patterns are quite fun (I especially enjoyed the stage 2 boss's final phase). I'll definitely be purchasing this when I have some free time.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

^ I bought Super Cyborg a month or two ago. Excellent title indeed, some of the boss fights are very tricky.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
GSK

Post by GSK »

A little heads-up: if you buy Super Cyborg from this site, you'll get a DRM-free version with the OST and some concept art.

I still haven't played it, to be honest, but now's a good a time as any!
Squire Grooktook

GSK wrote:A little heads-up: if you buy Super Cyborg from this site, you'll get a DRM-free version with the OST and some concept art.

I still haven't played it, to be honest, but now's a good a time as any!
Yo thanks for that. I was gonna go ahead and buy it on Desura like a sucker.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Squire Grooktook wrote:The thing about Steam reviews (if that's where you're getting that from)
No, "respectable" review sites. Nobody big dared call it a piece of dog crap, which is pretty much what it is. Would have been an excellently reviewed PC scroller back in the day, but as it is it's not what it should be.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

BIL wrote:Excellent work, thanks for the detailed as usual replay. You know you're watching a superplayer when even his phone is tearing it up! I'm torn on watching any further than stage 3 for now, cause I know you'll own the hell out of it and I've not played the MD version properly yet. ^__^

Do you know how the MD one stacks up to the arcade mechanically? I've only played the port and sometimes wonder if it was toned down (or up) at all, or had anything major added/removed. I'd have gotten the cancelled Saturn arcade port for sure.

I knew there was another console game I'd meant to ask you about, along with Holy Diver - Capcom's Codename: Viper aka Ningen Heiki: Dead Fox. I've been playing the FC version semi-seriously over the last few weeks. It's a super-solid and impressively uncompromising Rolling Thunder/Shinobi-style strategic shooter; by stage 3 things are getting tight indeed, by 5 it's become a ruthless killer. The constant door-checking for randomly shuffled items, hostages and POWs can get a little excessive, but it's so quick to pop back out and so easy to get killed for any lapse of concentration while doing so, it's ultimately not a major issue. Only the POW is needed to clear the stage (one per), the four hostages dotted about are just for style points.

Only quit because it was starting to require more concentration than I could give; looking forward to making a holiday project of it.
Whoops, sorry for the late reply BIL. I can't really comment on how it compares to the MD version, for some reason I never really played it much back in the day. I think I only played it for maybe 20mins around a mates house. Which is strange because it was pretty prolific around my parts in the mid 90's on the MD. There used to be a local franchise of newsagents in my area that stocked a few Snes, SMS and MD games, Atomic Runner being one of them.

Hmm I've never heard of Dead Fox before, sound decent and knowing your taste in games I'll probably like it. Unfortunalty I don't have my Famicom Twin anymore, setting up a dedicated CRT wasn't very practical for me. I have a PC hooked up to my Astro so I'll give it a try on an emu on there.

I was meaning to ask you, with you being a UK resident and all, are you going to PlayExpo-Manchester in October? If you're a fan of everything retro and 2D then it's a must visit.
BIL

Post by BIL »

On the off chance you've not tried it, Irem's Metal Storm is the other Shinobi-like FC sidescroller I strongly advocate. First loop is quality consolised action, tricky but accessible. Loop 2 is flat-out arcade tough with zero compromise - it's like they designed it as a theoretical coinop. Feels like a hidden Black Label for hardcore fiends. ^__^ There is a password system that allows a player to gradually conquer it stage by stage, but that's all. A straight 2-ALL run is a heroic sidescrolling action undertaking.

Well, it's more like a sidescrolling R-Type with the dense memoriser stage designs and tricky weapon selection. But that razor-sharp air control and pixel-precise action is unmistakable. Its distinctive mechanic is a gravity-inverting jump, and as with any great action game it's incorporated seamlessly. Bullet visibility is sometimes a bit low, but as with any memoriser you'll learn when you're going to be fired on quickly enough. Presentation is a nice bonus with the quality soundtrack, some of the chunkiest, most detailed sprites on the system and luxuriant parallax backgrounds. Very much a thoroughbred Irem classic for the Famicom.

Ah, I'd love to go to that expo. I'm pretty near Manchester too. Not sure if I can timetable it, but I'll see!
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Hmmm Metal Storm, I've never heard of that before. Thanks for the detailed write-up. Sounds like my type of game, I'll give it a try.

Ah so you're not too far away, I'd highly recommend it. Me and a few mates have been there the past 2 years and really enjoyed it. I spent far too much time challenging people on SuperSF2X(Turbo), though.. Apparently there are going to be a minimum of 150 arcade cabs on freeplay this year. If you're a fan of everything 2D then its an event you can't miss. I'm popping up on the Sunday (12th). I'm not looking forward to the 3.5hr drive and 5:30am alarm call, though. :/
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

If you like Metal Storm, the Japanese version has better colors. No orange mech! Blech.

It's called Juuryoku Soukou Metal Storm.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'd have probably gone with the FC version anyway (don't plan on getting into US carts, barring a handful*). Stage 6 is wayyy cooler with the electrified ceiling/floor making every gravity jump a mortal decision. But I think I remember the NES palette making bullets in stage 1 a little easier to see. Visibility is at least a mild issue in loop 2/stage 1 of the FC version, since they alternate between orange and white.

However i) loop 2 is a clockwork meatgrinder memoriser, so you'll quickly learn what's going to shoot at you and take pre-emptive attack/defense, and ii) for all I know the NES palette has its own drawbacks. Either way it's not that big a deal.

Also, the FC's opening sequence (missing from the NES) is one of those rare action game cinematics that's actually worth watching. Great premise, seriously - the unfathomably powerful asteroid defense laser has gone nuts and is picking off planets one by one! Invade and turn it off and on again, FFS!

Gave Natsume FC sidescroller CHOUJIN SENTAI JETMAN a fair shake over the weekend. Weak game. It handles just as solidly as their Excellent Trilogy of Dragon Fighter, Kage and Solbrain, but totally lacks their finer, distinguishing points. Actually, with their similarly horizontal level designs, if you were to dial Dragon Fighter's enemy power and numbers down, chop out the destructive sword/shot groove of its super meter, and swap its satisfying and varied bosses for recurring rock 'em sock 'ems diffrentiated mainly by the sprite on the right, you'd have Jetman. One can hardly give Natsume a hard time with their having at least three rock-solid efforts on the system, of course, but this one isn't in the same league at all. It ain't cheap either! If you want world-class sentai sidescrolling on FC get Solbrain, FFS!

*famous last words of fiends everywhere ;3
GSK

Post by GSK »

Super Cyborg is pay-what-you-want for a couple days: https://indiegamestand.com/deal/
Squire Grooktook

Super Cyborg is an excellent pseudo-Contra 5. Levels are clever and varied, and have some satisfyingly hectic moments throughout. Also very devious: the slightest execution error can cause an otherwise well planned route to spiral out of control. Boss and enemy design is also thoughtful and clever, and the aesthetic perfectly captures "ripped from the doodles of a hyperactive monster obsessed ten year old".

The charge attack is an interesting addition. At first it might not seem like a big deal, and seems difficult to understand how it can benefit you dps wise, but it turns out to be an excellent spike damage weapon. Rapid firing weakpoints, than charging as you're forced to dodge adds a nice element of rhythm and timing to the damage dealing, which becomes even more interesting when bosses and enemies start mixing things up with destructable projectiles that give a nice element of strategy to whether you should charge or not.

I only have one complaint with Super Cyborg, which may be minor for some folks around here but is a big one for me: It's way too static. Unlike the older Contra's, the little zako runners aren't rng based, and will consistently arrive in the same formations when you cross certain flags in the levels. Some of the bosses even have attacks that look random, random projectile sprays and other chaotic attacks that don't seem to have any rhyme or reason, but none the less are completely static and will have the same arbitrary pathing each time. Kind of a let down, as it does result in the intensity of certain situations being dialed down considerably. (Although admittedly, I haven't tested every single boss in the game, but the fact that a ton of random looking things in the first half are 100% static seems to evidence the designer just doesn't like rng).

Despite the absence of random dodging, it's still an awesome ride. I think anyone who likes Contra would definitely be missing out to not play this game.

Also don't click this, it contains blasphemy.
Spoiler
Being on a Contra binge lately, I actually picked up Hardcorps: Uprising to give it another shot, expecting to hate it as many others on this forum have (despite enjoying it for the previous 5 or so hours I played it before coming to this forum). As it turns out, I find the games blazing Mega Man X-esque dashing action and acrobatic dodging to be incredibly satisfying. I'm actually finding myself addicted to this game more so than any arcade game in a long time. 1cc progress is coming along, will probably post more in depth opinions on it once I can get further. Overall not a game without flaws, but with more than enough hyper frenetic moments to charm me into forgetting about them.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blasphemy's cool here. ;3 (but SHITPOSTERS WILL BE CRUCIFIED) (・`W´・)

I'd love to try Uprising sometime. It seems rather polarising but from you, iconoclast and others' reports (particularly about its movement options) I suspect I'd at least enjoy it. Unfortunately it came out right as I started a trip to hell in FC/MD/SFC research and collecting, so I'm a little behind on anything semi-recent.
Squire Grooktook

still spoilered because I don't want the Spanish Inquisition to catch me saying stuff like this
Spoiler
Indeed. I made it a bit farther recently. Stuff like jumping off a platformer only to nearly land on a deadly trap, double jumping out of the way into the path of an oncoming rocket fired by a sniper, air dashing to the left to avoid it only to fall right next to a runner zako, and just barely out running the zako and killing the sniper just in time to steal his platform and get some much needed breathing room - puts a smile on my face every time.

I could make a laundry list of the games flaws though (particularly the otherwise cool stage 3 boss, who's fun patterns are hampered by having way too much health and running them for 1 loop too long, and the stage 4 boss who's utter boring shit and sadly comes right after a genuinely fun midboss with some awesome and clever attacks), but most of these are the kind of flaws you'd find in any "new franchise attempt with new mechanics that aren't completely refined yet" rather than "KUSOGE EUROSHMUP SINE MORA GARBAGE MADE BY CASUALS FOR CASUALS" flaws.

It's a solid arcade game with some surprisingly thoughtful level design, once you realize that the game is more efficiently and enjoyably played like a Mega Man X arcade game rather than classic Contra. Normal move speed is for precision platforming and precise dodges, while your dash is for handling the more chaotic moments and vicious attacks. Run, don't walk.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I've grown to like Uprising, after having issues with it at first.

I still think you really need to have "rapid fire" and "speed king" unlocked in Rising Mode, for it to "feel" right. But playing as Krystal in Arcade Mode, is serviceable, since she is a bit quicker.

Also, does anyone find the PS3 version looks better than the Xbox360 version? I had the Xbox version first, and just recently got the PS3 version. I thought it looked a lot softer, and less jaggy (pixels and polygons). I downloaded the Xbox demo to make sure I wasn't dreaming, and it definitely looked more jaggy and pixelated.

I was pretty surprised.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I think I remember hearing that the PS3 version has less loading times too. I have the 360 one since I don't have PS3, though. I like the game quite a bit, as well.
CIT

Post by CIT »

So, I 1CC'd Ninja Ryuukenden today. Let me preface by saying the game is indeed truly awesome. A few random thoughts:

- It wasn't nearly as hard as I had been expecting. Took about three evenings of practicing to get through. Once you know where everything is in the stages you're pretty much good to go. Kind of like the lighting fast version of an Irem game. Biggest roadblock was definitely Jaquio, as the final boss checkpoint makes practicing him a slow process, but it certainly does ensure that you've really learned stage 6 well by the time you've figured out his pattern. The game is definitely really good punishing knucklehead players like the AVGN who try to cheese their way through.

- I can see why the game is so popular with speed runners applying all sorts of different challenges, as it accommodates many different play styles. Even in normal play the game encourages using some speedrun-like tactics, like damage boosts and boss quick kills.

- Speaking of quick kills, the bosses really are complete pushovers with the spin-slash. I guess the game could've used a couple of tougher bosses instead of saving everything for the finale.

- Funnest and most stylish weapon in the game is the kazaguruma. Love testing different tactics to keep it in the air as long as possible, mowing down everything as I run through stages (stages 2 and 6-1 are nice spots for this).

- IMO, the true test of ones Ninja prowess really is the 1LC though, as it is possible to max out score and lives.

- Question for BIL: What do you think of the PCE version (choppy parallax aside)?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Welcome aboard the Ninja Ryukenden task force. ^_~

NINJA RYUKENDEN TASK FORCE: THESE BRAVE MEN HAVE TAKEN ON THE JAQUIO AND HIS ARMY OF SAVAGE PIGEONS, AND WON :shock:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Certainly one of the big nostalgists' bogeyman titles, along with the original Dracula. Neither is all that hard with a little thought applied, but they will soundly bludgeon a lack of that. Model hardcore action games. I'm sure the popularity of rentals and a predominantly young audience at their release contributed to their exaggeratedly terrifying modern rep, along with the nostalgic victim support groups of AVGN etc...

Get some balls, scrubs! Brains too! (・`ω´・)

The regular bosses are definitely the less-outstanding aspect of the FC Ryukenden trilogy. II and III's are progressively more interesting in design, but there aren't any real standouts like Creature+Igor and Death from the original Dracula where if you don't cheese them, you'll have a deadly, unpredictable fight on your hands. I usually make a point of reaching NR1's st1, st2, st4 and st5's with the jumpslash just to get them out of the way. As you say though, the windmill star is just too damn fun, so sometimes it's hard to stick with JS alone.

I was turned off by the PCE version's cartoony aesthetic and weak BGM almost instantly, but I remember thinking its engine lacked the original's snap too. I don't think even the FC sequels feel quite as great, but they make up for it with cooler subweapons and much smoother climbing. I need to go back and properly evaluate it soon, particularly as I'm finally getting into the PCE in earnest. :smile:
Squire Grooktook

I definitely think the entirety of the games reputation comes from restarting the last stage when killed by Jaquio. I should really return to the game sometime soon, maybe after I'm done with my Contra/Konami binge.

Speaking of, a friend recommended the arcade version of Super C for being "waaaaay better" than both Hard Corps and Contra 3.

I think this game slightly traumatized me. I think I could analogize the above recommendation as someone claiming Family Guy as superior to South Park. Or Modern Simpsons superior to classic Simpsons. Or Naruto superior to a Miyazki film (someone actually did this to me once).

Actually after spending more time with it, the game isn't quite the flaming kusoge I initially thought it was. Some of the stages are relatively fast paced sessions of zako blasting, brushing aside its horrific top down stages, molasses slow move speed, and abominable aiming controls. Still though, the game doesn't do anything that hasn't been done leagues better by the other superior installments in the franchise. Unless there's a ton of fun to this game in an alternate region version or on a second loop, I think I'm definitely going to have to peg this as by far one of the lesser installments in the franchise.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

AC Super Contra is distinctly flawed, yeah. I found it nearly unplayable until doing some research on what exactly the aiming lag was "for." Rather than instantaneously snapping to the usual eight directions, your aim has to track through the degrees between. I don't know if this was meant to be helpful, or if it's a deliberate handicap, but either way it's awkward and will feel god awful to anyone coming off the console entries. AC Contra and Jackal have this feature too and I hate it.

In AC Super Contra, you can somewhat get around it by only aiming in the cardinal directions while on the ground, effectively emulating a four-way stick, and using diagonals only while in the air. There's no lag while jumping, making the basic tactic of leaping forward over zakos' bullets while firing down on them entirely viable.

Then there's the weapon balance, which is influenced by the aim lag. Basically only ever use Super Machinegun (you can get similar results from the regular MG by tapping). Regular spread is workable, but no substitute.

With this unfortunate palava under control, I find it pretty entertaining. Though not a real late eighties sidescrolling AC classic like Daimakaimura, Strider or Ninja Spirit, it's short, fast, and stylistically has a "bang for your buck" arcade largesse I still find impressive. I like seeing alien parasites erupting from destroyed zombies, and punching through heavy machines' armour to bring them down in floor-shaking explosions, and hearing Gyaba's enraged hissing as I blast his eyes out to get at the vulnerable brain. The jungle's layered graphics may be obscuring, but they create a far more convincing Predator-style green hell than any of the console games' attempts. The chunky metal guitar OST is wicked too - shame Naoto Shibata's crew were never asked to do full Contra Battle Perfect Selection AST, though at least there's their rather nice "WHAT IS THIS PLACE" on the Battle Best Of disc.

More a style favourite than anything, but I do enjoy going for a short, uproariously loud no-miss now and then. I know Ed's a fan of the US-only second loop (edit: correction, JP-only!), something I want to check out at some point (I have the disc release of the XBLA version, which I believe uses the US ROMset).
Last edited by BIL on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

Yeah, thanks for that info about the machine gun being the best, and the somersault trick. Really helps.

I'm starting to think it's a decent game. Probably superior to the Nes titles in terms of sheer white knuckle intensity, though I'd still have to say those games are superior even if the dodging isn't quite as fun. What they lack in intensity, the Nes versions make up for in varied stage design, and a longer quest that has more of that "adventure" feel. I'm all for short, intense arcade sessions, but a mere 15 minutes is seriously pushing it, especially when half of those minutes aren't even the run and gun sections that we're here for.

The stage design is actually pretty solid, if not the franchise best. I like the first half of stage 1 a lot, a nice basic run and gun section to warm you up with some zako turrets suspended in the background and a big chunky tank to chip away at and explode (though is it just me, or if he fires both his guns at the same time at close enough range, is it not possible to get out of the way in time?). Sadly after the tank is down, the stage takes a dive when the next two battles revolve heavily around aiming diagonally, which immediately brings frustration back.

Stage 3 is the opposite in that regard for me, with the opening section requiring diagonal aiming and being kind of an annoying mess as a result, but once you get to the big mortar launcher (VERY fun to dodge if you can't get under him in time, which is probable since you have to deal with a lot of random zakos running around) things become a lot more fun and fast paced. The boss is also pretty great.

Stage 4 is pretty excellent the whole way through methinks. They recycle the same topography right up to the end, yeah, but it hardly matters when said platform layout is pretty great for jumping around and dodging. Not to mention the stage has a richly diverse cast of monsters each with their own aggressive attack methods to keep you on your toes throughout. Fun boss too.

Aside from the aiming, what really kills the run and gun sections for me is the molasses slow move speed. It just doesn't feel as responsive or fun as Contra 3/Hard Corps or even the fairly fast Nes Contra movement. Having to hold up to jump higher (and the ridiculously slow speed at which you ascend) also feels awkward IMO.

These are nothing compared to the top down sections I think. The aiming controls feel uncomfortable but workable when side scrolling, but in the top down sections it's just nausea inducing. I find myself just dashing past all the enemies in stage 2, simply because aiming is such an enormous pain. And the move speed feels way too slow for some of the things you have to dodge in the last stage.

Don't think I could recommend it to all but the most diehard fans of the franchise, but when you work around its flaws there's some pretty great dodging and shooting. Decent diversion from Contra 3 and Hard Corps, both which pulled off the intensity while also being much more fast paced and responsive.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Well, I just 1CC'd Ninja Ruykenden II. I really like the visual upgrade, but overall, I gotta say, I much prefer part one. The environmental hazards get old really quickly and kind of run counter to the whole high speed action thing established in the predecessor (I hate having to wait around for the wind to turn, for example). Together with the diminished sword hitbox, which requires greater precision when attacking (which took some time to get used to), this meant I adopted a more cautious and methodical play style, even though the game on a whole is easier. The only thing apart from the graphics that's a real improvement are the bosses, which are more interesting and fun to fight for the most part, the exceptions being the cerberus rematch and the final triumvirate. Now on to part III.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Stage 4 is pretty excellent the whole way through methinks. They recycle the same topography right up to the end, yeah, but it hardly matters when said platform layout is pretty great for jumping around and dodging. Not to mention the stage has a richly diverse cast of monsters each with their own aggressive attack methods to keep you on your toes throughout. Fun boss too.
4 is my overall favourite for having lots of the game's strong suit - onrushing zako hordes that you can hardly mow down quickly enough. Even the other games' most aggressive runners (like HC's "alien roosters" in the infested base) are generally contained once you've got a bead on 'em. AC Super Contra's xeno-alikes and their facehugger buddies feel like they could actually overrun on sheer numbers alone if you're not quick enough on the trigger, especially with the nasty tendency for the horde to overlap each other.

Also, the stage gifts you with some choice Contra/Konami geek knowledge about III's boss rush, and its bridging of AC/FC Super Contra with the appearances of both Beast Kimkou and "totally not the Winged Xenomorph!" Image Also check out the "hovering mound of biomechanical misery" midboss that got promoted to stage 5 boss on FC, and later lent its clearly formidable VTOL capability to III's TLB as it chased our heroes out of the hive! ^_~
CIT wrote:Together with the diminished sword hitbox, which requires greater precision when attacking (which took some time to get used to), this meant I adopted a more cautious and methodical play style, even though the game on a whole is easier.
The reduced sword hitbox is such a drag. I guess it was to balance out the shadows (NR1's swordbox x3 would obviously be a little too generous). Even if so, they should've exempted Ryu himself from the tweak. Especially as unlike III and the Konami game the series is so heavily modeled on, II still cancels airborne attacks upon landing. I can deal with the strictness in general, but it's a stilted pain in the ass having to land before attacking stuff on the ground. The first game's sensible vertical leeway sidesteps this and translates into remarkably smooth action - if one aspect was to remain, the other should have as well.

Having said this, on a good run I can still manage to have a rollicking good time with II. It's my favourite in certain regards. The easy wallclimbing, more versatile subweapons and plentiful ammo are generally matched to an even greater level of death-defying platforming than the original, with hordes of swarming targets to blaze a trail of destruction through. Underpinning this, its similarly strong gravity keeps the velocity that III lost. My favoured NG engine is most definitely the first game's, though.

edit: what's with videogame ninjas and x3 body splits, anyway? There's NGII, Strider and Ninja Spirit at least. I guess it's a pretty dependable "zomg ninpo" effect, and three's a sensible number for an attack multiplier both technically and balance-wise. Still, anyone know if there's a clear inspiration somewhere, like the Kamui Gaiden manga and its Izuna Drop (used in the modern NG series and DOA by Ryu, along with countless other fighting games' ninjas)?
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:The reduced sword hitbox is such a drag. I guess it was to balance out the shadows (NR1's swordbox x3 would obviously be a little too generous). Even if so, they should've exempted Ryu himself from the tweak. Especially as unlike III and the Konami game the series is so heavily modeled on, II still cancels airborne attacks upon landing. I can deal with the strictness in general, but it's a stilted pain in the ass having to land before attacking stuff on the ground. The first game's sensible vertical leeway sidesteps this and translates into remarkably smooth action - if one aspect was to remain, the other should have as well.
I actually found the shadow ninjas kind of useless for the most part. They do come in handy on stage 3's boss in particular, but apart from that they never form an essential part of gameplay as they does in Ninja Spirit or Cannon Dancer. I can see why they were dropped from the series again after part II.
what's with videogame ninjas and x3 body splits, anyway? There's NGII, Strider and Ninja Spirit at least. I guess it's a pretty dependable "zomg ninpo" effect, and three's a sensible number for an attack multiplier both technically and balance-wise. Still, anyone know if there's a clear inspiration somewhere, like the Kamui Gaiden manga and its Izuna Drop (used in the modern NG series and DOA by Ryu, along with countless other fighting games' ninjas)?
The "bunshin no jutsu" (or "kage bunshin") is pretty much a staple superpower that you can see it in a LOT of Japanese movies, manga and videogames, even ones without ninjas. Like a lot of stuff, it's the japanized version of superpowers originating in Hindu mythology that were transported to Japan with Buddhism.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

CIT wrote:
BIL wrote:The reduced sword hitbox is such a drag. I guess it was to balance out the shadows (NR1's swordbox x3 would obviously be a little too generous). Even if so, they should've exempted Ryu himself from the tweak. Especially as unlike III and the Konami game the series is so heavily modeled on, II still cancels airborne attacks upon landing. I can deal with the strictness in general, but it's a stilted pain in the ass having to land before attacking stuff on the ground. The first game's sensible vertical leeway sidesteps this and translates into remarkably smooth action - if one aspect was to remain, the other should have as well.
I actually found the shadow ninjas kind of useless for the most part. They do come in handy on stage 3's boss in particular, but apart from that they never form an essential part of gameplay as they does in Ninja Spirit or Cannon Dancer. I can see why they were dropped from the series again after part II.
Masato Kato actually said the shadows were dropped for being too powerful, though they never felt such to me.

I don't think they're as fun to use as their Gradius analogue either, with screen coverage being less important in a platformer than in a shooter. Ninja Gaiden II's still a quality game, of course.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

CIT wrote:The "bunshin no jutsu" (or "kage bunshin") is pretty much a staple superpower that you can see it in a LOT of Japanese movies, manga and videogames, even ones without ninjas. Like a lot of stuff, it's the japanized version of superpowers originating in Hindu mythology that were transported to Japan with Buddhism.
I hadn't thought of extra-Japan (or extra-Western) sources, good point. :smile: Reminds me of the Hindu imagery and themes that become more prominent later in the Hokuto no Ken manga. Incarnation of Indra, and so on.

Totally forgot Osman's shadows too somehow.

About the NGII shadows, their swords aren't much use at all, particularly with the game's twitchy pace and tiny swordbox. You're much better off fending for yourself and considering any shadow kills good fortune, lest you get whacked into a pit while setting up some elaborate Gradius-esque pattern. But they do boost subweapons pretty devastatingly, creating an almost fire and forget effect. Particular with ammo being so abundant, you can clear the screen in a single blast with ease unheard of in I & III.

I've been replaying Dynamite Batman today, and am very close to writing it off as simply a bad game... when it's not too easy, it's too hard, and all difficulty comes from the enormous player sprite and lack of reaction window to stuff coming from the right. Brute memorisation in other words. Batman also controls pretty badly, skidding about after landing jumps and unable to shoot enemies at point-blank. Frankly the game looks and sounds so good I could forgive it merely being mediocre, but I'm not sure it even manages that.

It's too bad this wasn't more of a Splatterhouse-style sidescrolling beater. As a Rockman-style precision platform shooter it's hopelessly uncalibrated.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: I've been replaying Dynamite Batman today, and am very close to writing it off as simply a bad game... when it's not too easy, it's too hard, and all difficulty comes from the enormous player sprite and lack of reaction window to stuff coming from the right. Brute memorisation in other words. Batman also controls pretty badly, skidding about after landing jumps and unable to shoot enemies at point-blank. Frankly the game looks and sounds so good I could forgive it merely being mediocre, but I'm not sure it even manages that.

It's too bad this wasn't more of a Splatterhouse-style sidescrolling beater. As a Rockman-style precision platform shooter it's hopelessly uncalibrated.
It also gives Batman a gun. The first GB one did the gun thing as well, but plays better. It also has a killer soundtrack and a nice shmup level. RoTJ GB (unlike the NES, I think it actually has the same name in Japan) on the other hand, goes back to batarangs and punches, but lacks the tight controls and punch hitbox of the first NES Batman. I found it fun for other reasons (mostly due to the grappling hook), but it's definitely not as polished as the first NES and GB games.

Konami's GB take on Batman with Batman TAS seems to be solid, from what I have played (still need to get to stage 4). It starts out fairly slow paced, but pacing picks up after stage 1, which is still a solid design. It seems to have nice level variety, as well. It also goes with punches and batarangs, but control is tight. Punches are more strict than in Batman NES, but still feel solid.