Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ex_Mosquito

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

My Toki 1-Life clear complete with new cheesy intro.

http://youtu.be/6b9w8DdJvbw
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
BIL

Post by BIL »

I meant to get a Ninja Warriors Again Kunoichi ALL @ Hard done this weekend, but between TRP-STGT and a newly acquired Marble Madness habit I've been most remiss in scrolling to the side! That and Hard difficulty is surprisingly challenging for a console original title, at least with Kunoichi and Ninja. Having just the one lifebar was a brilliant move by Natsume.
Squire Grooktook wrote: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... re=mh_lolz

They Bleed Pixels. It's an excellent game that needs more love imo.
Good writeup! I've had this game at the back of my mind since you mentioned it way back in the thread, think I'll have to finally check it out.
Ex_Mosquito wrote:My Toki 1-Life clear complete with new cheesy intro.

http://youtu.be/6b9w8DdJvbw
Incidentally, I always thought Toki was Western (or at least non-JP) developed. I think it's because it was always in Amiga magazines next to Gods, Chuck Rock, SOTB and the like. That and I know so little of TAD Corp (WTF, I just looked them up thinking of Mitchell, another JP arcade dev I need more contact with, and it turns out some TAD staff migrated over there when the company closed down).

I was briefly considering getting the MD version even knowing it's not a straight port, but I found a few rather unhappy arcade players' reviews of it and moved on for the time being. Might give the ROM a shot now. Any experience with that version Mosquito?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

BIL wrote:I meant to get a Ninja Warriors Again Kunoichi ALL @ Hard done this weekend, but between TRP-STGT and a newly acquired Marble Madness habit I've been most remiss in scrolling to the side! That and Hard difficulty is surprisingly challenging for a console original title, at least with Kunoichi and Ninja. Having just the one lifebar was a brilliant move by Natsume.
Squire Grooktook wrote: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... re=mh_lolz

They Bleed Pixels. It's an excellent game that needs more love imo.
Good writeup! I've had this game at the back of my mind since you mentioned it way back in the thread, think I'll have to finally check it out.
Thanks. One other thing I wanted to mention about the game, is that I think it does a great job of incorporating the combat into the platforming. Any action platformer worth it's salt will have you dodging environmental hazards and enemy attacks at the same time, but one thing I find a bit unique about this game is how the environmental hazards alter your offensive tools as well. Kicking monsters into spikes, baiting them into traps, dodging saw blades/bombs for them to crash into monsters, etc. is a bit part of the games level design, and goes a long way to make each encounter feel unique and fresh.

Also congrats to Ex_Mosquito on another awesome arcade clear.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Also played recently - The Rapid Angel aka Kaisoku Tenshi (PS1). Mediocre at best martial arts platformer, notable only for its obscurity and by extension the scarcity of such things post MD/SFC. Mechanically lacking with nondescript stage design, limp combat and a pervading lack of intensity. Artistically steeped in zero-budget OVA blandness. The double jump, dash and running/dive attacks may recall The Super Shinobi II on paper but in practice the rickety mechanics instantly knock it out of such lofty orbits. I made it to stage... 10, I think, without noticeable resistance before getting bored and dunking the ISO in the bin. Upping the difficulty only seemed to boost enemy HP, didn't stick around long.

As far as original PS1 productions go, where Little Ralph is a strong example of more calculating Makaimura-style action, this one is totally outmoded by its stylish ninja action forerunners The Super Shinobi II and Hagane. Strider 2 is an immensely superior ninja sidescroller, as is Taromaru over on the Saturn. Despite its flaws Shin Shinobi Den is likewise a much sounder effort from this generation.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Don't go near the MD version of Juju Densetsu! Well the intro is hilarious, check that out, but stage designs truly are shit (completely changed and drawn out as hell and lacking tons of art work). Such a shame when a solid port could have been possible.
SOUNDSHOCK
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

zinger wrote:Don't go near the MD version of Juju Densetsu! Well the intro is hilarious, check that out, but stage designs truly are shit (completely changed and drawn out as hell and lacking tons of art work). Such a shame when a solid port could have been possible.
Even the Famicom/NES version looks much more fun to play.
BIL

Post by BIL »

zinger wrote:Don't go near the MD version of Juju Densetsu! Well the intro is hilarious, check that out, but stage designs truly are shit (completely changed and drawn out as hell and lacking tons of art work). Such a shame when a solid port could have been possible.
Nothing sadder than a fugly attract/intro, particularly on the machine that brought us The Super Shinobi's iconic thundercrash. Do it right or not at all! Was indeed good for a laugh though - watch out lovers, it is gigantic wedding cake!
zinger

Post by zinger »

Wedding cake, lol. Actually I quite like the attract mode of the MD version. The music and animated background really took me by surprise! Makes the intro funnier and more epic than in the arcade game.
SOUNDSHOCK
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

@BIL: Heh I guess it could've been mistaken for a euro game at the time :) I remember the Amiga version being praised at the time, and to be fair most if the decent Amiga games were made by the Europeans. To be fair It's an amazing conversion when you look at it side by side to the arcade, it's pretty damn accurate for a third-party conversion. Even going down to the fine details of accurate enemy placements and hit-points spot on. It was something that was sadly lacking from the home micro arcade conversions.

I havnt played the MD version that much. I played the Japanese version briefly in an import shop when it first came out but I didn't think much of it.

@Squire Grooktook: Cheers :) It was an easy one this time.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ghegs did a long play of the JP Famicom version of Juju Densetsu. Unlike the US version, it doesn't have hearts for life and instead has 1 hit like the arcade. Not only did Toki get a lot of western ports on computers and Lynx, but Tad's other well known game, Cabal's ports are almost all western made, even the NES version.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh hey, X MEN MUTANT APOCALYPSE (SNES/SFC) is pretty good!

Image <- YEAH I TOTALLY AGREE MR. X, IT DOES FCKN SUCK THERE WAS NO CPSII SEQUEL

Its single plane brawling doesn't approach the brilliance of The Ninja Warriors Again (grapples, guarding and crowd knockdowns would've been nice), but as its obvious intent SFII: The Platformining it succeeds nicely. Best feature is that meaty as hell Capcom impact and the accompanyingly flawless controls - two in ones, Final Fight combos and crossups feel great, and the character roster is good fun to mess about with. Some cool boss fights in here too, particularly Psylocke's Hagane-esque final stage. I'm a casual fan of the license at best, but the presentation and atmosphere are quite lovely too. If you're stuck on NTSCU with censored TNWA, snap up this cart and get DEM BUNZ!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BACK IN THE DAY

(Since it's a 4chan pic, it's a series of stills of Arino getting told how old games are difficult)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Be Killed By Experts ~ The Story of Hardcore Gamer

As far as JP tv game people go I like Arino more than Takahashi Meijin ever since yesterday, when I unfolded Star Soldier's instruction sheet to find the latter hawking his own-brand autofire controller at me. Image

I was supposed to have played the FC's Fudoh Myouou Den and HUMAN WEAPON DEAD FOX a bit more but I've spent all weekend chasing down a nice copy of Red Arremer II. I really like this one from the few hours I've spent on it, possibly more than the rather excellent Demon's Blazon. It's a true Real Platforming Simulator with some absorbingly preposterous jumps to be made, augmented perfectly by the limited hovering and wall-clinging mechanics.

Boxart pwnz

Something wot I wrote the other day in ash's NES topic, regarding NO TROUSERS DEAD FOX
PUNISHED BIRU wrote:There is an interesting time attack element added to the game's hybrid of RT door bothering and Shinobi hostage saving. Only the POW in each stage must be rescued, the civvies are optional and will actually die if you're going too slowly (cartoonishly, of course - sexy lady one minute, crumbling skeleton the next).
Rubbish! That's what I get for FUCKN WIKIPEDIA. Image Hostages don't expire. Their positions are shuffled randomly from game to game, mission critical POW included, so what was a hostage one round might be a crumbling skeleton the next, and you can never write off a corner of the stage lest the POW be there. Not sure if there are a limited number of patterns or something more complex - either way this shakes things up nicely.

I also like how the number of prisoners saved totals up across the game, resetting upon a Game Over, giving a satisfying distinction to one credit play. This is truly an arcade-standard Rolling Thunder/Shinobi-alike, combining the discipline of the former (no bumps allowed, limited ammo) with the flexibility of the latter (super-reponsive air control) and serving up varied, hard as nails level designs. Easily as good a hardcore action sidescroller from Capcom as Top Secret and 2010SF.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Looks familiar. Guess I didn't have that box up on Ye Olde Site of Dustcollection - though this image seems to have been making the rounds:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FC carts like those are really a thing of beauty.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Indeed, even a bare collection can be quite lovely to behold.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Indeed, even a bare collection can be quite lovely to behold.

I noticed that version has different music. Which music do you prefer? I like the US version music.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I picked up on that too, it actually got me playing the FC version enough to get a copy. :smile: Although I'd have preferred a close arcade conversion, or at least a straight action game interpretation ala Ninja Gaiden, it's still a very fun single-sitting ARPG.

I prefer the somberer tone of the JP-exclusive BGMs, the NES versions are bit peppy for my liking. Compositions excepted though, both have a slightly thin sound I don't find especially pleasing among the system's music. Nowhere near Ninja Gaiden's standout OST with its rich tone and powerhouse drums.

Love the sound effects though, the thumping NG1 "player damaged" SE makes smashing down monsters with a powered up weapon especially satisfying.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

I like how in the Amiga version of Toki you can see raindrops running off him when he comes out of the storm on the dark jungle stage. Nearly makes up for the missing enemies.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
BIL

Post by BIL »

IKARI NO MEGATON PUNCH

Nemo's not really a fit for my lofty vision of this topic, subduing his foes with candy rather than dispatching them to Death's black embrace with bone shattering fist or body cleaving blade. However, I'm on a Capcom sidescroller tear ATM and was irrepressibly thrilled to see that in the FC version Mr. Gorilla, who is known to punch a dick right in, gets to enjoy his NES-confiscated stogie while doing so. edit: hey - this is a great JuJu Densetsu segue, too!

This is beautiful work from Capcom, despite a bit of heavy sprite breakup. Solidly built, creative and demanding. Despite the creampuff aesthetic it's an absorbing challenge, with a wonderfully puzzling element to gradually unpicking each stage with animal pals. A handful of really good straight-ahead action stages too.

edit mkII: ah, the hell with it. Nemo's on-topic! You could reskin it into a badass sidescroller about a weenie old magician who runs around Hell making Faustian pacts with various unspeakable entities in exchange for a little item-grabbing/face-smashing help. MAKE IT NOW
Last edited by BIL on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I got a CIB FC Nemo some time ago. The cutesy graphics make the difficulty feel even more punishing than it actually is. "Damnit, I keep getting killed by BEEEEEEES! AND I'M THROWING CANDY!"
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BIL

Post by BIL »

I put it off for a long time, partially due to the whimsy, but also my wanting to focus on more directly combative FC sidescrollers. Was foolish of me! Nemo is first-rate and easily deserving of a spot next to Ninja Gaiden and Batman et al on the handy hypothetical desert island I use to keep my collection trim.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I recently picked a Twin Famicom. I really need to get off my arse and get some of these platformers!

Here's a 1-Credit clear from the Capcom arcade classic - Roosters (aka Midnight Wanderers) This is a pretty unique compilation of genres: Platforming/Shoot em up/Puzzle. Given that it's technically 1/3 of an arcade game it's a pretty decent platformer. Unfortunatly I lost a life at a stupidly easy part but I thought I'd just upload it anyway. I'll probably be putting my screen into vertical after this for some Tate action. It's been too long!

http://youtu.be/FaNY3467Nrg
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I need to get back to Little Nemo. I like what I played of it, but, unlike Capcom's Disney games (which I still like quite a bit, especially Duck Tales and its sequel), it's much harder than it looks (which is a good thing). I have the US cart, though.

Speaking of Gargoyles Quest II, it was recently announced for release on the US eshop, along with Mighty Final Fight and Street Fighter 2010. I'll probably go for the eshop for Gargoyle's Quest II since it's a bit pricey, but I'll just get the cart for SF 2010. Mighty Final Fight is cheaper in the JP version, but I'm not sure about that one (I have it in that GBA collection. I like it better than the first two SNES games, but not as much as some other beat 'em ups like RCR or Double Dragon 2 and 3).
Last edited by BrianC on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:Here's a 1-Credit clear from the Capcom arcade classic - Roosters (aka Midnight Wanderers)
I've wondered about Roosters! Was considering getting the Saturn port of Three Wonders but I hear rumblings it's got issues of some sort. Seems like you roll the dice where Arcade Gears is involved... I will enjoy that MosquitoPlay after I've slept off this accursed booze!
BrianC wrote:I need to get back to Little Nemo. I like what I played of it, but, unlike Capcom's Disney games (which I still like quite a bit, especially Duck Tales and its sequel), it's much harder than it looks (which is a good thing). I have the US cart, though.
I was just thinking, I seem to be hoovering up all of Capcom's FC sidescrollers that weren't a) Rockmans or b) Disney licenses. For all the knocks on Capcom sequel mania, 2010SF, Top Secret, Dead Fox, Arremer II and Nemo are a commendable stable of quality and highly varied sidescrollers.

I need to spend some time on the FC/SFC Capcom Disney sidescroller canon, I know I'd like Ducktales at some point but the rest is a bit of a blur (and I've not played most of the latter system's to begin with). Also wonder about the FC Trojan/Tatakai no Banka port.

I can't get into Mighty Final Fight at all - the art style doesn't bother me but the action itself feels sedate. But the only FC beltscrollers to date that I really like are the latter two Double Dragons (and even then, II's strict crouch recovery inputs can be annoying as hell and make me want to play DD Advance).
Last edited by BIL on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I know Three Wonders is also in the Capcom Classics Collection v. 2 for PS2, but those ports suffer from the usual Digital Eclipse issues. I'm not sure if the CPS1 games have input lag (didn't seem to, but I need to check other ports), but I know for sure Super Street Fighter II Turbo has it.
I need to spend some time on the FC/SFC Capcom Disney sidescroller canon, I know I'd like Ducktales at some point but the rest is a bit of a blur (and I've not played most of the latter system's to begin with).
A duck blur? (sorry, couldn't resist)
Also wonder about the FC Trojan/Tatakai no Banka port.
I thought it was ok, from what I played, but I need to play more for more of an impression. Seemed to lack the polish of some other Capcom ports, though.
Last edited by BrianC on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah, I got CCC2 for Magic Sword and kinda crossed my fingers on the rest, haha. MS seems workable but given how screwy ST is on that comp I didn't hold out much hope for other stuff.

I'm still wondering if I should get Double Impact on 360 for possibly better Magic Sword, a game I'm fond of and terrible at. The real sidescrolling Gauntlet simulator. Nails Bastard Hard that game.
BrianC wrote:A duck blur? (sorry, couldn't resist)
:oops:

FC Trojan/TNB seemed a bit flat to me, too, and the AC ver is in decent form on CCC1 anyway. I always suss out their FC ports where I can though in case there's another Top Secret: HITLER IS BACK WITH NEW PALS uberport lurking somewhere.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Oh yeah, I got CCC2 for Magic Sword and kinda crossed my fingers on the rest, haha. MS seems workable but given how screwy ST is on that comp I didn't hold out much hope for other stuff.
Their CPS2 emulation was new, so it's probably not an indicator for their CPS1 emulation. However, I heard claims that Final Fight in CCC1 and Strider in CCC2 have lag and I heard some (but not all) of their Genesis emulation has it, as well. If it means anything, I did notice lag in Super Street Fighter II (and even odd slowdown related to turbo settings), but I didn't notice any in the other games.
I'm still wondering if I should get Double Impact on 360 for possibly better Magic Sword, a game I'm fond of and terrible at. The real sidescrolling Gauntlet simulator. Nails Bastard Hard that game.
I know there's a demo available to see how the emulation is. It seemed to be good, though it would have been nice to have the scanlines without the phosphor effect. I don't mind it myself, as it still looks much better than the other options, but scanlines more like the ones M2 uses for their collections or the ones use in Raiden Fighters Aces would have been preferable.
BIL

Post by BIL »

There was some interesting research into CCC2's ST lag woes a few years back by NKI, posted over at SRK. Youtube

I wish M2 had handled every console emulation thing ever Image
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

M2 seems to be good with remixes and ports, as well. The Genesis Gauntlet's tower mode is good stuff. I like what I played of the Konami rebirth games as well. Are the rebirth games based off Konami arcade hardware? The look and sound of the games seems to be similar to some of their arcade games.