I DID IT! -Off Topic Edition-

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Blinge

Re: I DID IT! -Off Topic Edition-

Post by Blinge »

ACSeraph wrote:
Blinge wrote:Big Boss
damn
Haha well, it's easier when you play it checkpoint by checkpoint and load save whenever something goes wrong. It wasn't some flawless run by any means. Act 1 sneaking and FROGs battle was really tough. But the bike chase in Act 3 took the most attempts, it's horrible on that difficulty. Throughout the game I used every trick in the book.

Anyway it was the final step to finishing this:

imaginary internet points <3
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Cleared Hokuto no Ken for Famicom 8) Not too rough, guess I'll go for either the sequel or Mark III game next, but in the Mark III one I can't ever seem to do any damage to Heart so I'm at a bit of a loss.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

ACSeraph wrote:but in the Mark III one I can't ever seem to do any damage to Heart so I'm at a bit of a loss.
I played that game countless times and I still don't know why that happens. Sometimes I can kill Heart in just a few hits, other times he's pretty much invincible. I had times where I lost all my lives to him because he just won't die.

Pretty weird. In the US version (Black Belt) this never happens.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Figured it out, you have to low punch him in the stomach 4 times in a row. But damn this game... graphics are really good but it's pretty horrible. The controls are incredibly unreliable and the hit detection even worse. I can't seem to do a thing to Shin, since even if I land a clean hit he instantly punches me for 2x as much damage as I did to him. Kinda surprised but actually I think I prefer the FC game...
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

To deal with Shin you just jump kick him, and while he's stunned you punch him. Stand back, repeat. Pretty easy.

Looking forward to see you complaining about Toki. Took me YEARS to figure out that one.
mastermx wrote:
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I'm still at it now, problem is when I jump kick him and then punch the punch whiffs half the time (for no reason whatsoever) and he counter-hits me. He also tends to get on top of me and wail away, preventing me from jumping. I'm not willing to throw in the towel yet (because I'm stubborn) but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't raging.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Moved in to a new place in a new city :o
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Played Catherine Babel mode blind on stream today, and in the course of 4 hours manged to clear Altar and Menhir (the first two stages). For those who haven't played the game, this is harder than it sounds.

I was expecting to be stuck for the entire stream without clearing Altar; it was a very pleasant surprise indeed that I was able to clear both! :D

Also, Blinge:
Blinge wrote:Got the Big Boss emblem on MGS4, the requirements are:

0 kills
0 alerts
0 deaths
0 heals
no bandana/stealth camo

in under 5 hours.
I too have done this, and remember exactly how frustrating it can be to pull off. Nicely done! :)
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Softdrink 117 wrote:Played Catherine Babel mode blind on stream today, and in the course of 4 hours manged to clear Altar and Menhir (the first two stages). For those who haven't played the game, this is harder than it sounds.
congrats man, I straight gave up on Altar, then gave the game back. :oops:
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Vantage Master completed! So glad to have this one under my belt.

About to deal the killing blow to the final boss

If you enjoy turn-based strategy games, I very much recommend this one. Very fun game and the AI gives you one hell of a challenge. You really need to know what you're doing to progress, especially on Expert mode.

Funny enough, unless you're selecting the final boss as a target, the game will crash if you hover the cursor over him. Thank God for a built-in restore function as the game crashed when I was almost done with him.
mastermx wrote:
the_last_shmupper

Post by the_last_shmupper »

I know this is a place for gaming achivements, but my achievement feels like its in game development 11 days making a SHMUP from scratch. My achivements include 200+ bullets on the screen at once without a drop in frame rate. Several different options. 35 unique enemies (that have no sprites, but they're in there). 8 different mini bosses, 2 real bosses. Homing missiles, 12 different weapons.

Then I came to this forum and discovered the other games are at a much higher level, but hey doing it and sticking to it 140 hours of development in 11 days is an achievement.

In game achievements, I gave up on. Steam recognizes that I have a few extremely rare 1% achievements in Super Lemonade Factory and Zombie Tycoon 2 and beating Tropico 4.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

the_last_shmupper wrote:I know this is a place for gaming achivements
No need for it to be about gaming achievements, it's anything not shmup-related.

Those hours are quite impressive, it's good to see people still making shmups and putting a lot of effort into them. I myself have never managed to build up such motivation, even though I might have the capability of making a (terrible) shmup if I really applied myself.

On another note, I finished my finals for this semester! Now I can play Bakraid without feeling as guilty about it!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
the_last_shmupper

Shepardus wrote:
the_last_shmupper wrote:I know this is a place for gaming achivements
No need for it to be about gaming achievements, it's anything not shmup-related.

Those hours are quite impressive, it's good to see people still making shmups and putting a lot of effort into them. I myself have never managed to build up such motivation, even though I might have the capability of making a (terrible) shmup if I really applied myself.

On another note, I finished my finals for this semester! Now I can play Bakraid without feeling as guilty about it!
I remember the push for finals... it was always interesting. How do you think you did?

Sadly I put 2 hours into shmup design today making a wall system that still isn't perfect. I took the easy way out by making the player explode when they collide, but then the enemies can still go through everything. Projectiles can't. The player can also go through walls when shielded. I'll tackle that next and maybe come up with some work around.

I would post a development thread, because I am really dying to talk about it all, I'm just not ready for people to see it. So it would just be me babbling. It plays like a shmup, its just pretty awful to look at so I'm hiring someone to sprite art for it as a sign that I'm very serious about this, even knowing that it probably won't make the money back. Its a matter of pride though to finish this.

I record 2 or 3 videos a day and show 3 or so friends and they're all dazzled by it, but they don't play shmups so it could be like an infant dazzled by keys :-)
KAI

Post by KAI »

1CCed Akumajo Dracula X68000. The second loop bored me to death and I dropped it on stage 2-5.
Spoiler
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Did a speedrun of Vanquish on hard difficulty in less than 2 hours (1:59:50 real time, 1:45:00 game time). That was my original goal for it so pretty happy about reaching it. Can't say I'm done with it since I made many major mistakes in one of the acts, in total I think you can shave 10 minutes off that at least. Also figured out some new tricks and routes through the levels that save time on lower difficulties.

I wonder why there are barely any speedrunners for this game, I still think its really fun. Two hour runs are hard to make time for though. I definitely prefer 30-60min sessions like in most STG.
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Zaarock wrote:Did a speedrun of Vanquish on hard difficulty in less than 2 hours (1:59:50 real time, 1:45:00 game time). That was my original goal for it so pretty happy about reaching it. Can't say I'm done with it since I made many major mistakes in one of the acts, in total I think you can shave 10 minutes off that at least. Also figured out some new tricks and routes through the levels that save time on lower difficulties.

I wonder why there are barely any speedrunners for this game, I still think its really fun. Two hour runs are hard to make time for though. I definitely prefer 30-60min sessions like in most STG.
Wow, that's quite impressive. :D

I'm frankly surprised at how comparatively unknown Vanquish is. It's an amazing game; incredibly fun to play through and very challenging indeed at the higher difficulties. It definitely seems like it would have a lot of room for speedplay as well -- do you have a replay somewhere?

And now I want to play the game again and don't have the time aaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhh
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
1up

Post by 1up »

Completed the story mode in F-Zero GX for the first time. I was about to give up on story mission 8 as it was hard as balls. The game is not as unfair as mainstream makes it to be. It's tough but fair. If you screw up, it's on you, and you won't be able to complete the mission.
It does help to learn the different turning techniques 8)

the_last_shmupper

I think mainstream just doesn't put in the effort to learn a game so much as crap out a review for it. Everything is always too hard. I hear Dark Souls is too hard... unless you put your shield up and tediously grind.

GX is the only F-Zero I've never played, but I do love the series. I still play the original to this day. Well less and less of course.

As for Vanquish wow a 2 hour speed run. Sounds like Resident Evil 2. I own Vanquish, but I've never played it. I always wanted to, but well time...

So with you speed running 2 hours, how long did it take you to get to the point where you could speed run it?

The only thing in recent memory I've speed run was the final level of AVGN Adventures, mostly because of the final boss I used 75 lives or something like that. Took me maybe an hour to get to the point where I could no death speed run that level. Then I found the trick for the boss is holding a button to plant your feet. Suddenly I beat him in one life.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Softdrink 117 wrote:I'm frankly surprised at how comparatively unknown Vanquish is. It's an amazing game; incredibly fun to play through and very challenging indeed at the higher difficulties. It definitely seems like it would have a lot of room for speedplay as well -- do you have a replay somewhere?

And now I want to play the game again and don't have the time aaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhh
I have my personal best up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kObDwt ... Q-JVzAfwXB Also streaming attempts on twitch every now and then. You're right, there is a whole of things to mess around with to speed things up. Since there are so few runners I'd assume there is a bunch of things we havent figured out yet. And yeah, god hard difficulty is quite something..

At least a casual playthrough only takes about 3-4 hours, easier to find time for than many other games! (always thought of that as a positive for action games)
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Got married

(To a girl I first met on shmups forum in fact)
the_last_shmupper

ACSeraph wrote:Got married

(To a girl I first met on shmups forum in fact)
Congratulations!
KAI

Post by KAI »

Wow, congrats! Best wishes to both of you.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

What's her user name Image
Only half kidding, also congrats
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
the_last_shmupper

trap15 wrote:What's her user name Image
There's no gender listed. He might be a she and her might be his.

Achievement Unlocked: Winning one game of Rummicube against my mom's 91 year old aunt... out of six.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Thanks guys :)
ashygal

She wasn't actually a regular member here, she joined because she saw my thread trying to get a group together to go to TGS 2013. In the end she was the only person that made it out that year. We became friends and now about 2 years later we are married.

She wasn't so aware of the shmups genre and community before meeting me, though she is a serious gamer and grew up playing NES, SNES, and PC games. She's played quite a few at this point, and got seriously into Infinite Burst to the point that she 1cc-ed it. She's also my go-to Darius Burst partner. I'll try to get her to participate in some of our future events (and maybe Death Roulette) to help her experience more stuff.

It's not just a gamer thing though, she's just great to be around in general. The perfect person for me, very chill and stress free, and always willing to go anywhere and try anything. I can be myself and totally relaxed around her. I don't need to change and neither does she; I think that's one of the most important points to a successful relationship.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Holy shit Seraph. Big tings bro.

Congratulations. Love is a beautiful drug. Enjoy it.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Congrats ACS. :smile:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

'grats, man

=]
drauch

Post by drauch »

the_last_shmupper wrote:
There's no gender listed. He might be a she and her might be his.
RUH ROH! Could also be a pillow or an animal or a ghost. Also didn't specify if this was real life or in Harvest Moon or the Sims. Be more respectable next time and don't assume it's a human just because you're used to that sort of thing. We keep an open mind here, FASCIST.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Austin

Post by Austin »

I beat Battletoads in Battlemaniacs for the first time on the SNES.

I'd also like to add, @!&$ Euro game design.