shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:46 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Flesh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:32 am 

Hi, I start making another shmup game. :)

Flesh by @im_oab is a 2D-horizontal shmup game with hand-drawn animation and implement using tetra. It still in the development stage but have a release date set in October 2021.
This game takes place inside the flesh of mysterious organisms that players will fight through multiple levels to get out.

Current progress: It's playable with half of the first level.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Flesh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:49 pm 

Best of luck finishing the game. Just going by the snippet in the GIF you posted I might suggest two things:

1) Even with the hitbox visible the player craft seems really big and distracting IMO, I'd probably find it difficult to keep track of my vulnerable spot in the heat of things.

2) If you're going with an organic/fleshy theme for the setting you might want to reconsider making enemy shots a reddish-pink color.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:06 am 

BulletMagnet wrote:
Best of luck finishing the game. Just going by the snippet in the GIF you posted I might suggest two things:

1) Even with the hitbox visible the player craft seems really big and distracting IMO, I'd probably find it difficult to keep track of my vulnerable spot in the heat of things.

2) If you're going with an organic/fleshy theme for the setting you might want to reconsider making enemy shots a reddish-pink color.

Thank you for the feedback. I am curious about bullet colors. If colors too similar. Does it make the player have a difficult time to identify behaviour for each butler types?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:20 am 

last week progresses. :)
- add a new enemy type.
- support gamepads.
- update hit point visual to improve visibility.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:41 pm 

oab wrote:
I am curious about bullet colors. If colors too similar. Does it make the player have a difficult time to identify behaviour for each butler types?

The most basic way I can put it is that ideally players should be able to immediately tell exactly where enemy shots are even when the screen is crowded and the action gets heavy, since they need to keep their focus on split-second reactions and can't often afford to switch gears from "here's what I can easily see" and "now where's the stuff I need to squint to pick out?" I'm sure someone else could phrase it better than I could.

Apart from the color itself, some shooters make bullets "flash" or "pulse" to make them easier to pick out, so you might want to look into that as well as the overall palette.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:47 pm 

I'm kind of fond of the chunky, large player sprite with small hitbox size aesthetic. There's a several games that do this, such as Battle Traverse.

Quote:
I am curious about bullet colors. If colors too similar. Does it make the player have a difficult time to identify behaviour for each butler types?

Shmups generally try to use a very limited colour palette for enemy shots, with clear distinctions between attacks. And when player colours overlap with enemy shots (such as red on red), they're of a clearly different shade. Examples include:

• Dodonpachi limits enemy shot colours to pinks and blues. There's one part in the game that has green bullets. Player shot colours consist of orange/red, green, and blue.

• Giga Wing has player shots consisting of Purple, Green, Blue, Red, enemies are limited to Blue and Pink, again with limited green bullets for one or two specific attacks.

• Progear uses nothing but yellow and grey for player shots, with enemy shots being blue.

Generally, limiting yourself to two different colours allows you to make different bullet types look distinct and identifiable, without being too much visual overload like games that do rainbow coloured shots.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:21 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep using 2 colours for enemy bullets.
- Purple, enemy aims at the player when firing bullets
- Pink, enemy fire bullets in random directions.

If it does not work. I have planned to change it in next iterations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:05 pm 

Last week, progress.
- add a mid-boss. It has many animations that take a lot of time to draw.
- add bullet assets and a new bullet type.
- damage cap

Offline Profile