shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:06 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Astral Panic - A DMG-inspired shmup
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:05 am 

Hey everyone. I've recently released my *first* game, Astral Panic. It's inspired by Game Boy and GB-era games (so it's quite simple, a little rough around the edges, but hopefully fun to play).

You can currently find it on itch.io, right here:
https://lucida.itch.io/astral-panic

I'm trying to get it onto other platforms, though I'm not sure where to go next. An Android port is also in the works. Please, let me know what you think.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Astral Panic - A DMG-inspired shmup
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:12 am 

I played the web version a tiny bit but the heavy invertia and the wall-bouncing make it pretty difficult to enjoy. I don't know if those control quirks were already in there in the game engine you used (if you relied on one) but if you implemented it all by yourself it feels like a lot of effort to make the game feel not as tight as a good shmup. Maybe you planned this game to be played on a smartphone's touch screen from the beginning and that would why the movement doesn't translate well to keyboard input?

Anyway, good job on releasing your first game.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Astral Panic - A DMG-inspired shmup
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:20 pm 

Thanks for the feedback!

I kinda planned it from the start for mobiles but I wanted it to be playable on all platforms. If you feel like it, give it another go using a joystick. It should work on Chrome and Firefox, but I'm sure Edge doesn't support it.

The difficulty has been pretty hard to nail down - some people just breeze through the damn thing effortlessly while others can't get past the first wave. As for the inertia and bounce, those are also there so the player has to think a little bit ahead before moving. I planned to do more stuff with it, like gravity wells and such, but the maths got out of hand quite fast :lol:

Offline Profile