shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:38 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: SHMUP Creator: build and blast
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:22 pm 

That's nice and all, but the question that's interesting is.. when do others get to play with it :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:52 pm 

Quote:
That's nice and all, but the question that's interesting is.. when do others get to play with it :twisted:

Very good question, indeed!
I'm making good progress right now, I'll tell more very soon.
S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:02 pm 

Will it be good fit for pre-render gfx? Like in Vasara etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:54 pm 

Quote:
Will it be good fit for pre-render gfx? Like in Vasara etc.

Yes, to a certain point:
You can use animated sprites, but the animation can only loop.

Another thing: an enemy will rotate with a rotation effect. You can't pre-render an enemy with 8 directions and use them to do the rotation. This prevent to make games like DDPwhere the view is 3/4 perspective.
But a top-down game like Vasara is completely doable with the SHMUP Creator, minus some animation controls.
S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:03 pm 

Holy snaps this is pretty awesome. :O Will we get an early access soon?
I plan to make a maker as well for my weird game and im very curious how a better dev would do it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:54 am 

Some news at last! I'm making good progress righ now, I'll try to keep up the pace until Christmas.
Original post: http://bulostudio.com/2019/12/07/november-update-2/

November update

I’m a Technical artist by trade.
And the SHMUP Creator is my first C++ project: I’m learning as I go. I started to modify a sample and try to display a bullet on screen, then I tryed to understand what is object oriented programming, then I tryed to understand why Visual C++ gives me linker error messages with 150 @ characters etc.
In September I decided to do what I have never done before since I started the project: updating Visual C++ and all the libraries I’m using.
So, I did that…
Of course it broke everything, (API changes, compatibility issues etc.) and I had to modify the code for some weeks before being able to compile again. I converted all the shaders to .hlsl to get rid of .cg, which is now obsolete.

I also did something incredible: I installed Git and now I’m using GitHub. For devs reading this: don’t laugh. Until now I backuped my code manually. Which is ok because I’m the only dev, but which is really bad when things go wrong. Again, don’t laugh, please: It’s never too late!

MEMORY LEAKS:
I did a lot of work on memory: I xas doing very bad things, and memory was growing each time a level was loaded. It’s really better now and quite stable.

POLISH:
I fixed the grid, the update and import of textures, and added a lot of small UI improvements.
The Snap tool was working well, but was failing on some occasions. It’s quite robust now and really improves the 2D levels creation.

Some months ago I wrote a complex hack to add parallax to layers, and it kind of worked. But it was difficult to use and created a lot of bugs and unwanted complexity, as well as bugs with the translation and scale tools. I found another solution and rewrote the thing: it’s now really easy to use and allows users to add parallax to background layers, only for 2D games.

We also did some work on the weapons to make them more easy to understand. Sometimes its only a matter of renaming, or moving some part of the UI somewhere else… Same thing with the waypoints. I’m quite happy with the result.

BETA:
The documentation is almost complete, I added sounds for 2D games, and we are working on another 2D sample game called “Dominique’s adventures”. I’ll write about it next time!

NEXT MONTH, we:
.continue the Content and Artist documentation
.continue to clean the UI and fix bugs
.create all the sound effects
.create a lot of bullet patterns and include them in the package
.I hope to be able at the end of December to distribute an early Beta to some people

Fingers crossed!
S.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6