Papilio [v0.9.2.5 Beta, now with True Last Boss!]

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
BPzeBanshee

Re: Papilio [v0.252 WIP]

Post by BPzeBanshee »

You are a sight for sore eyes, man! :D
@BPzeBanshee: I'm still using GM8.1. GM Studio was a major headache as far as porting this game was concerned, leading to having to edit the source file using Notepad and the compiler returning more than a hundred unspecified errors when I attempted to run it. I was thinking of asking you for help but in the interim I was away, YouTube began doing their crazy crap changing how PM'ing works.
Yeah, not too surprised there. GMS has gotten a lot more stable in recent years than its initial release when I think we were first discussing porting stuff over, but there's a lot of under-the-hood changes involved. I've almost managed to nail them all down in such a way now that importing GMOSSE into Studio requires only a few comment-out/uncomment a few things here and there, and then just mostly works.

A bit of technical heads-up as well: if you haven't done so already, look into gutting out any use of GM8.1's internal sound engine. Windows 8 is hating the old DirectSound system and a lot of pre-GMS games are having stability issues, even GMOSSE will eventually crash. If Caster ever ends up supporting loop points I'm switching over to it in an instant myself.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

This game looks absolutely awesome. :shock:

Please take my money. :mrgreen:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

BPzeBanshee wrote:...and then just mostly works.

A bit of technical heads-up as well: if you haven't done so already, look into gutting out any use of GM8.1's internal sound engine. Windows 8 is hating the old DirectSound system and a lot of pre-GMS games are having stability issues, even GMOSSE will eventually crash. If Caster ever ends up supporting loop points I'm switching over to it in an instant myself.
Ugh.

I have both GMS and 8.1, but the more I hear about silly things like these the more I want to stick to 8.1 since I can actually get things done there.

Thanks for the info btw.
--Papilio v0.9 Beta now on itch.io! (development thread)--
Xyga wrote:Blondest eyelashes ever.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yeah, stick with 8.1 and funnel sfx through your sound engine of choice rather than sound_play(id) and you should be right, although that requires externalisation of your sound files.

Joystick input should be pretty easy, iirc joystick_exists(id) works for up to 2 controllers, counting from id 0.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Fix'd...somewhat. Anyway I've been putting it off for too long, but I think it's time to put in the bosses. They've been sitting there for years with full coding, untested.

Player 2 doesn't have bombs yet but that's a simple cut-and-paste job with a few edits here and there. I may also modify the Joystick code to autodetect and auto-set controls. But....BOSSES MAN CONCENTRATE

@BP: I took the explosion scripts I made for GMOSSE and put them in Papilio, but I might tone it down a bit so as to not clutter the screen when things start dying. :P
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I thought the explosions you had already were pretty amazing, but whatevs, it's your code anyway. :P

How are you doing the dragon? Usual "gradius options" stuff like how Alluro did Vic Viper in XF-R + setting image_angle = whatever direction the head was at the time?
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

BPzeBanshee wrote:How are you doing the dragon? Usual "gradius options" stuff like how Alluro did Vic Viper in XF-R + setting image_angle = whatever direction the head was at the time?
Yes, it's the same code he posted on here a long while back using the Gomander serpent thingy from R-Type. Made a few modifications to adjust for things like image_angle, image_xscale and such but it's 95%+ the same. The image_angle of each segment is set to point at the one preceding it, but all the variables are controlled by the "head" segment.

As for the explosions, I guess I love the Mega Drive Contra too much. And explosions in Yagawa shmups.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Implemented the Stage 3 Path A endboss.

Dum de dum, nothing to see here. These cobwebs don't look good though. I wonder if...

Ohai. Sup, you ready for round 3?

Hey nice fishnet there, is that your new look--

OH SNAP

I CALL ON THE POWER OF RADIANT SILVERGUN TO OWN THEE DIE DIE DIE

Anyway this boss isn't so balanced yet, and has a few glaring bugs. The difficulty in his fight lies more in trying to avoid him and the tiny spiders he summons than projectiles, but it's so easy to go wrong with that kind of setup.

EDIT: The screenshots were taken from different playthroughs due to the amount of bug testing I did just to get this boss working correctly (he uses a slightly different pattern rotation and drawing state system than my other three bosses).
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Just some notes going forward to the Papilio v0.3 public demo while I'm cleaning up the outdated enemy death codes and implementing the new stuff (yes BP, that includes the Yagawa explosions ;) ). It's mostly some features and business decisions up for debate, and I'd really appreciate the input:
  • I plan to re-implement the Rank system that was in place during the very earliest versions of Papilio (for those curious, Papilio's prototype used an elemental weapon system akin to Dimahoo + Radiant Silvergun, and the vestiges are in the enemy coding). This Rank system will be very basic, and mostly covers game difficulty and the number/value of point item drops received from killing enemies. As much as I love Garegga's intricacies, I'm not a big fan of meticulous Rank management--though I do want to add challenge and rewards without overcomplicating things and making no-death full power runs excessively unfair (*cough* Gradius 3 *cough*).
  • I wanted to keep the scoring in my game simple and easy to understand--shoot enemies, collect stuff, max out shot strength for a kill multiplier and don't frigging die--though I am now considering adding a multiplier for successfully destroying targets at point blank range. Several design choices have already unintentionally lent themselves to this idea. Maybe it's just my proclivity to get in an opponent's face and start pounding away, who knows, but I'd like to reward more gutsy players somehow.
  • I'm seriously considering doing an "early release" type of distribution, like Minecraft did. Put the pre-Beta up for a small amount, and customers will then get to playtest the game up to the final version, which they will receive with no strings attached (since they already paid up; testers joining up at later releases will have to pay a slightly higher amount depending on the version, but not higher than the final retail price). However I'm wondering if I can actually pull that off since I'm also trying to run an (admittedly weak) small home business on the side, and while it's obviously in my best interest to honor my customers' trust, I don't want any liability issues cropping up should I fail to deliver. My other obvious alternative is to simply manage a closed beta within this forum.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

In case I didn't make this apparent enough, you know I'd buy/test it either way.

For multiplier rewards, perhaps for some enemies do it Raiden III-style with a multiplier that rewards you for quick-killing?
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

BPzeBanshee wrote:In case I didn't make this apparent enough, you know I'd buy/test it either way.
I decided to hold that thought off for now until I can get a decent system in place, but thanks. :P
BPzeBanshee wrote:For multiplier rewards, perhaps for some enemies do it Raiden III-style with a multiplier that rewards you for quick-killing?
I've been thinking about this a bit more, and realized that while I don't want unnecessary enemy killing gimmicks since they ran contrary to my design intent for the game (which is to keep everything basic and give the player just enough freedom to ad lib), there is something else I can filch off of Raiden: secret bonuses. Micluses, fairies, the works.

In the meantime, I really, really hate how glitchy this alternate Stage 3 boss is, if the error popup I dragged off to the left is any indication.

Tryzna

Post by Tryzna »

Tried the demo and im surprised how well the game plays. Loved the boss fight! ll definetly purchase full version when finished!
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Tryzna wrote:Tried the demo and im surprised how well the game plays. Loved the boss fight! ll definetly purchase full version when finished!
Thanks! :D

UPDATE: It took me several hours of continuous work, but I'm getting this boss to heel. Almost there.

Image Image Image

The challenge behind this boss is that she resets after a short period of time and summons a giant cobra to attack you. Getting the cobra to reset by damaging it enough brings the boss back upstairs where she promptly greets you with a little bullet hell before firing a large energy ball and submerging anew. All the while those two rejects from Tremors at the bottom of the screen float left and right, lunging up with their jaws if they get underneath your character.

Going by the third screenshot, I think I just rediscovered one of the old ways to make a boss incredibly hard without resorting to horrendously draconian measures.

And yes, the first screenshot is of me getting owned by a super fast boomerang. She hurls those if you destroy all her peripheral parts.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

This looks deliciously evil.

How far are you planning to take the alternate stage route ideology?
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

BPzeBanshee wrote:This looks deliciously evil.
I'm trying my best to refrain from--oh. Oh crap here it comes

*HACKINGCOUGH*
BPzeBanshee wrote:How far are you planning to take the alternate stage route ideology?
Alternate stage routes begin at Stage 2 and are planned to end at the second to last level. As for the number of alternate routes, there are really only two per stage barring the first. It's more like a scaled down version of Alluro's RF-styled pathing and not Darius', since I don't have the luxury of time anymore (though I'd honestly like some version of it in a later shmup). I intend to put more variety in by way of a modified Psikyo/Capcom rank system instead.

New boss screenshots. Being my first multi-part boss, Kadru was a really big challenge, but the experience was worth it. She is officially my first boss to employ scaling difficulty in that she gets more aggressive the more parts you destroy (with brand new attacks and all), and I hope to reflect this in the upcoming Rank calculator:

Image Image Image
Image Image
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

v0.3 is almost here!

Image Image

Just a couple more fixes desu

And yes that number at the top is exactly what you think it is.

(Thanks BP for the GMOSSE scripts)
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Papilio v0.3 is now available for download!

The changelog on page 1 has been updated to reflect the new information, so be sure to pay a visit. :)

Please report all bugs to Reco so she can shoot 'em. Or you could tell me about them glitches instead. 8)

Part of me wants to make this game 16:9 now. Thankfully everything's in place for that to happen without much of a hitch.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm ditching the alternate stages design in favor of lengthening the game to 8 stages + 1 TLB and adding a Caravan mode. After working on Stage 3 with its alternate paths I came to the conclusion that I do not want to have a ginormous headache balancing scoring between two ENTIRE stages instead of just two paths in a single stage.

EDIT 2: Well crud, the readme txt file contained in the zip had some wonderfully outdated info that never got implemented at all, so here's the correct readme txt file.
Last edited by S20-TBL on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BPzeBanshee

Re: Papilio [v0.3 WIP]

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Is the game 16:9 already or some other weird aspect ratio? I remember it used to be 800x600 but it doesn't look like it anymore, and stretches sideways enough to be annoying when fullscreen.

Also, dat stage 3 boss is batshit insane. I don't know how I'm supposed to get any damage done. Amazing release. :D
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

I need to reupload the game as I found an oversight in Player 2's joystick autodetection routine. Will give everyone a heads up once it's done.
BPzeBanshee wrote:Is the game 16:9 already or some other weird aspect ratio? I remember it used to be 800x600 but it doesn't look like it anymore, and stretches sideways enough to be annoying when fullscreen.
It's in 3:2 (360x240), displayed as 900x600 in windowed mode. I experimented with adding 40 pixels to the screen width to mitigate some of the cramped feeling. The stretching was allowed to address an issue with porting it to Linux via Wine, as the original black border created by the "Keep Aspect Ratio" checkbox ended up redrawing wraparound portions of the screen while in windowed display.

As for HD res, turning it into a 16:9 display would make it somewhere around the lines of 480x270 or at the very least, 432x243 (which is an oddball number...dunno how well that sort of thing would translate) and would require me to readjust level scrolling speed and several static backgrounds, but given how players tend to collide with stuff when moving up or down it could be as simple as a view_hborder fix, which is now possible since I got rid of all solid objects in the entire game in favor of custom collision scripting--which also means that the beam weapons actually work properly now.
BPzeBanshee wrote:Also, dat stage 3 boss is batshit insane. I don't know how I'm supposed to get any damage done. Amazing release. :D
Hehe, thanks. :D Did you get the giant spider or the Scylla knockoff?

The spider is a bit simpler, even if overall more movement heavy: just damage it when it paths onscreen but be careful not to run into the little spiders. It gets faster at 50% health and starts laying eggs which spawn projectiles, movement slowing webs or homing spiders, and at around 22.5% health runs offscreen and begins tracking your position while summoning homing spiders.

The Scylla lookalike is the tricky one. She dives offscreen after a short while to summon a giant cobra. The snake will reset by itself after a few seconds but you can get it to dive back down faster by shooting it. Once it submerges the boss will resurface and begin attacking, then return underwater and summon another cobra from a different side of the room. To kill it you have to at least destroy the two snake heads blocking your shots so the main body is vulnerable, then get the large cobras to reset as fast as possible so she comes back onscreen.

Problem is the two patrolling jaws at the bottom of the screen that stretch upwards to bite you if you cross the red beam marking their position. You can kill those by shooting the jaws, but not the main body. After they lunge at you they have a bit of recovery time before they can attack again, so you can actually track and bait them to create some breathing room.

Don't be afraid to bomb during these fights, as bombs in this game are more like Garegga/Batrider Weapons than panic bombs from other games.

Just be warned that the more body parts you kill, the stronger the main boss gets. Though you can actually farm her after a certain point as she doesn't have a timeout routine yet.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Wine and VirtualBox should've had border issues like that downpat by now. A togglable option would be nice but I can't remember the gml command for it.

I got the three-headed snake chick. Haven't figured out how to trigger the spider but I suspect it's something I'm missing at the very beginning of stage 3.

As for bombs, I didn't even realise I had them until I looked in the readme and it mentioned it there, completely forgot about it. I'll have to give this a spin when I'm not testing out Raiden II in MAME.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Wine and VirtualBox should've had border issues like that downpat by now. A togglable option would be nice but I can't remember the gml command for it.
I suspect it's the port for Macintosh being wonky. The X11 driver even slows things down by 50%, though newer drivers don't have a problem.
BPzeBanshee wrote:I got the three-headed snake chick. Haven't figured out how to trigger the spider but I suspect it's something I'm missing at the very beginning of stage 3.
If you kill the pupa midboss instead of the giant butterfly at the start of Stage 3, you'll get the upper path and spider boss. The pupa has +30% more health though.
BPzeBanshee wrote:As for bombs, I didn't even realise I had them until I looked in the readme and it mentioned it there, completely forgot about it. I'll have to give this a spin when I'm not testing out Raiden II in MAME.
Yep, I actually still need to put in a visual cue that you can use them after a certain point. You can actually bomb even without ammo, but it'll disable your force field and the cooldown is much longer.

EDIT: The Player 2 joystick autodetection is actually normal, but it's missing parameters for when you have mouse control enabled (which is by default for the 2nd player), and so does Player 1. Implementing the parameters causes the game to not recognize certain sprite drawing functions, so this may take a while for me to fix.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

A friend of mine found a nasty bug while attempting to remap the player 1 controls, resulting in wonky errors that can cause one of the shot types to spaz out with Step Event errors and the rest of the game to do crazy things. I'll have to reupload the demo after I add some necessary quality-of-life features.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

While you're at it, have a look at your music handling getting affected by the pause screen. The stage 1 boss music started a fair bit early when I had paused a bit before the boss actually appeared. I'm not sure if it's an aesthetic thing but on the same run the background of the Game Over screen was black instead of showing the freaky fairy thing, didn't seem like intended behaviour but I dont know for sure.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

BPzeBanshee wrote:While you're at it, have a look at your music handling getting affected by the pause screen. The stage 1 boss music started a fair bit early when I had paused a bit before the boss actually appeared. I'm not sure if it's an aesthetic thing but on the same run the background of the Game Over screen was black instead of showing the freaky fairy thing, didn't seem like intended behaviour but I dont know for sure.
This is actually due to the way SuperSound handles the volume fadeout. It doesn't deactivate the music handling object. I might play around a bit with it and see if deactivating the music while paused will help matters.

As for the freaky fairy BG, this is an odd one that I've encountered before, but haven't really figured out the reason why. I think it's a problem with the object that causes the fade-to-black effect not properly running. Either that or I just unwittingly spawned PAPILIO.EXE.

EDIT: Right now another friend of mine encountered that issue you told me regarding Windows 8. Apparently it's Win8's broken sound driver not being able to handle multichannel sound calling parameters, causing Game Maker apps to crash when multiple SFX are being played simultaneously. I'm implementing an SFX priority fix that will hopefully mitigate the issue somewhat and help save a bit of ram on SFX functions, though it's setting the 2 Player shared scoring mechanic back a bit.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Found another bug, this happened when I did a two-player session with a friend today. We made it to the spider boss, it's easier than Scylla but holy shit! You're a mad genius!

Anyway, the error I got, recognised my script straight away but not sure what you're doing with your globalvars though:

Code: Select all

for object ctrl_nameentry_a:

Error in code at line 8:
       scr_hiscore_update(global.hiscoretemp,name,global.shipselect1,global.stagenumber);
                                                         ^
at position 56: Unknown variable shipselect1
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Ah, that's because the high score scripts and controllers don't support 2 player mode yet. The objects used for choosing Wisp types in 2 player mode aren't coded to return the shipselect1 global variable as of now, since I'm still putting together a separate set of controllers and scripts for the 2 player co-op system (which will include, among other things, 2x steady Rank increase...).

I had a feeling the Spider would be easier than Scylla since there are so much more opportunities to create safespots in that fight. :P He was actually the harder boss at first until I tweaked his patterns and attacks so many times (so many cheap deaths from baby spiders backstabbing me) until I felt that he was fair enough. Glad you liked him though. :D

I'm including an SFX playback priority system to lessen the memory load and manage the sound volume, and to (hopefully) deal with Win8's trashy default audio DLL that can't handle multichannel playback. I'm getting mixed results though. I may have to end up re-recording a lot of the explosion sounds.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

The other way to handle the sfx issue would be to play the sfx externally via SuperSound as it supports WAVs as well as OGGs. Can be an issue if you have a lot of sounds though.

One other thing: I noticed a lot of the HUD when in 2p mode (even in 1p mode the rank meter behaved this way as well) was a bit shaky, moving out of sync with the screen. I noticed this as well with the player and had a similar issue a long time ago, some reordering of events should do the trick here.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

BPzeBanshee wrote:The other way to handle the sfx issue would be to play the sfx externally via SuperSound as it supports WAVs as well as OGGs. Can be an issue if you have a lot of sounds though.
Yep, there are way too many sounds in the game right now for me to keep track of them. I could load them all at once at the start of the game with SuperSound using the central persistent controller however. But I'll have to push that thought back for later; I also learned that it's not just Game Maker apps having trouble with Win8's broken dmsynth.dll, so we could possibly expect a fix coming from MS.
BPzeBanshee wrote:One other thing: I noticed a lot of the HUD when in 2p mode (even in 1p mode the rank meter behaved this way as well) was a bit shaky, moving out of sync with the screen. I noticed this as well with the player and had a similar issue a long time ago, some reordering of events should do the trick here.
I dug around and discovered that it's due to a pair of global variables used for drawing / generating objects relative to the view being continuously re-calculated during the Begin Step event. I already made a quick fix that removed the shaking, but I'll try reordering those variables instead and see what happens.

EDIT: Nope, didn't work (it only removed the Rank meter's horizontal wobble). My first attempt at a fix does, though, so I'll keep that one.

In the meantime, I messed around doing a no-shot playthrough up to Stage 3. The funky text positioning was due to me digging around for the root of the HUD wobbling problem, but you can see a few of my QoL additions in this screenshot (pulsating red border when at 0 extra lives, spinning magic circle around your character for indicating when your Bomb is ready to use--here it's red, meaning that the Bomb is disabled):

S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Never have I posted so many updates within 12 hours:

Image Image Image

Image Image

I'm almost done with the new 2 player scoring system and have fully created its own custom leaderboard arrays based on the single player GMOSSE scripts. I just need to make a few adjustments to projectile parent objects and 2P Rank and then we're good to go for more public testing in case I missed anything in the code.

The item tallies are still counted separately for the purposes of keeping track of bomb usage, but for the most part almost everything is shared with both players now, even lives. Which means if one of you screws up and gets hit on the last life, both of you die.

Also, new leaderboard look. Still need to make tooltips for the name entry screen. Have fun guessing the initials. :mrgreen:
S20-TBL

Re: Papilio [v0.31 FINAL DEMO VERSION]

Post by S20-TBL »

2014/09/12 Update: Papilio v0.31 is now out!

Please visit the first post for more information regarding the changelog.

Barring any immediate bug reports and such, this will hopefully be the final free demo release. Starting tomorrow everything will begin to be ported over to GM Studio.

Let's do this. Luminosité Éternelle!