shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:41 pm 



Joined: 26 Sep 2019
Posts: 23
I just modified my Sony KV-27FV300 and noticed now that I have what I can only describe as trails or smearing. This is very noticeable on games like Metroid where you have a dark black background and you are jumping around. I never noticed this before however... being that I was not using RGB in I more than likely was not displaying as black of a black so it was possibly not as noticeable. I plan to play around some tonight and run things the way I was previously, and then straight in with RGB (hopefully I can catch a pic of it).

I did not think this was due to too high or low of a resistor inline as I thought that would more so make the image darker.... but I wasn't sure if the resistor I used on the Blanking line was not the right value and maybe that is the possible issue (which I doubt but throwing it out there).

Since forum user DRC had already modded the same set I pretty much duplicated what he used and did. (although I'm having a hell of a time finding a good spot to solder the audio in on the same input) viewtopic.php?p=1382487#p1382487


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:06 pm 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 594
nintari wrote:
I just modified my Sony KV-27FV300 and noticed now that I have what I can only describe as trails or smearing. This is very noticeable on games like Metroid where you have a dark black background and you are jumping around. I never noticed this before however... being that I was not using RGB in I more than likely was not displaying as black of a black so it was possibly not as noticeable. I plan to play around some tonight and run things the way I was previously, and then straight in with RGB (hopefully I can catch a pic of it).

I did not think this was due to too high or low of a resistor inline as I thought that would more so make the image darker.... but I wasn't sure if the resistor I used on the Blanking line was not the right value and maybe that is the possible issue (which I doubt but throwing it out there).

Since forum user DRC had already modded the same set I pretty much duplicated what he used and did. (although I'm having a hell of a time finding a good spot to solder the audio in on the same input) viewtopic.php?p=1382487#p1382487



For the horizontal smearing I would be looking at the electrolytic caps near the B+ and 200V lines from the flyback. I would be specifically focusing on C540, C541 and C705.
_________________
___________________________________________________
MarkOZLAD
OSD/External RGB Mux Diagram
OSD/External RGB Mux Resistor Value Table 0.7Vp-p : 0.5Vp-p

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2014
Posts: 4
So, this thread is amazing. I've been inspired to dive in and attempt my first RGB mod. :D

I have a really nice Toshiba 14AF42 that I'd love to take a swing at, but since it's a little different from other Toshiba's I've seen people work on, I'm a little lost as to where to start. Can any veterans give me some direction as a first time RGB modder? The schematic and documentation for this model is here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11060 ... ml?page=16

Thanks!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:58 am 



Joined: 26 Sep 2019
Posts: 23
MarkOZLAD wrote:
nintari wrote:
I just modified my Sony KV-27FV300 and noticed now that I have what I can only describe as trails or smearing. This is very noticeable on games like Metroid where you have a dark black background and you are jumping around. I never noticed this before however... being that I was not using RGB in I more than likely was not displaying as black of a black so it was possibly not as noticeable. I plan to play around some tonight and run things the way I was previously, and then straight in with RGB (hopefully I can catch a pic of it).

I did not think this was due to too high or low of a resistor inline as I thought that would more so make the image darker.... but I wasn't sure if the resistor I used on the Blanking line was not the right value and maybe that is the possible issue (which I doubt but throwing it out there).

Since forum user DRC had already modded the same set I pretty much duplicated what he used and did. (although I'm having a hell of a time finding a good spot to solder the audio in on the same input) viewtopic.php?p=1382487#p1382487



For the horizontal smearing I would be looking at the electrolytic caps near the B+ and 200V lines from the flyback. I would be specifically focusing on C540, C541 and C705.


Thanks for your help in this thread and the other ;) I'll more than likely re-cap both this set and the 32" one I have in the garage. Both were owned (luckily) by little old ladies and were not used much...but the 27" was definitely used a lot less as it was damned near perfect. The 32" has issues with colors shifting slightly at random times, so say for example Mega Man 2 Air Man stage as you go along the blue background takes on a greenish tine, then goes back to normal...which I figured was a cap issue. but usage aside I know the age alone could cause issues with the caps.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:05 am 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 594
evewalker wrote:
So, this thread is amazing. I've been inspired to dive in and attempt my first RGB mod. :D

I have a really nice Toshiba 14AF42 that I'd love to take a swing at, but since it's a little different from other Toshiba's I've seen people work on, I'm a little lost as to where to start. Can any veterans give me some direction as a first time RGB modder? The schematic and documentation for this model is here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11060 ... ml?page=16

Thanks!


IC101 is your micro controller. IC301 is your Jungle. R121, R122 and R123 (4700R) are the factory inline resistors on the OSD lines. R139, R140 and R141 (R1000) are the factory "ground" resistors.

Mux resistors are 750R according to the lookup table in my signature (4700R with no diodes 0.7Vp-p)

It looks to be a pretty standard OSD mux candidate. Unfortunately it has surface mounted resistors which means you won't be able to use the twist method like the 8 Bit Guy mod. There are, however, great big jumpers on the RGB and blanking lines that would be great solder points. I think they are numbered W129-W132.

For blanking I'd run a 5V line through a switch and then into a diode and connect to the jumper.
_________________
___________________________________________________
MarkOZLAD
OSD/External RGB Mux Diagram
OSD/External RGB Mux Resistor Value Table 0.7Vp-p : 0.5Vp-p

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:52 pm 



Joined: 06 Nov 2018
Posts: 43
Mark/All,

Earlier in the thread there was talk about a mod to a Sharp (shart, lol) 25R-S100.

Here is the service manual for that TV https://diagramas.diagramasde.com/otros2/Sharp%2025R%20-%20S100%20Chasis%20SN%20-%20012.pdf

Mark drew up this awesome, detalied diagram :) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxXDEFhRZ50MV0tkRTdFWV9kQmc

The original poster, rx7turbo233 never posted (that I saw) more details or whether or not he had success with it.

I'm having some trouble trying to figure out exactly how to mod this. Here were your instructions:

Quote:
Find capacitors that feed pins 14,15,16 of Jungle IC 201.

desolder the legs that are furthest from jungle, closest to OSD chip IC 2001.
Run wires from the the now empty capacitor leg holes to outside legs of switch.
find a resistor the OSD blanking line goes through. desolder a leg on the OSD side. Run a wire from empty hole to the outside leg of switch.
Run wires from legs of cap to inside leg of switch.
Run wire from leg of OSD blanking resistor to inside leg of switch.
Run wires from Scart RGB pins 7, 11 and 15 and 16 (for blanking) to other outside legs of switch. Put a 10K potentiometer on the blanking line.
Connect scart pin 21 to chassis ground. Connect pin 18 to chassis ground.
Terminate wires from scart RGB pins 7,11 and 15 to ground via 75 ohm resistors.
Connect scart pin 20 (Sync) and pin 17 (Sync ground) to the AV port.
Scart pin 6 is audio L, Scart pin 2 is audio R, scart pin 4 is audio ground. Connect to AV Audio port.

so.. These are the pins in the diagram:
Image

14-r, 15-g, 16-b, 17-BLK. Great.

Here is the wiring under the IC201 chip:
Image

According to this, these are resistors R802,805,804 on the RGB lines on the outside of the chip, -- under the chip the lines run towards IC2001 into Resistors R2024, R2025, R2026 respectively.

For the blanking pin, it runs through R816 on its way to R2027 by the IC2001 chip.

Here is an image of the underside of the board:
Image

802, 805, and 804 don't exist, and aren't mentioned anywhere in the service manual components list.

R816 DOES exist, but it is ALSO not listed, so I hvae no idea what its value is.


Here's the part of the diagram that shows IC2001 output of R,G,B and BLK pins:
Image

This is an image of the underside of the board by IC2001 where the R,G,B and BLK lines run to:


Image

As you can see, these lines seem to run through (or touch) caps, but they don't exist. They aren't here, and there is nothing matching topside.

Here's a picture of the topside:
Image

And here is the info on resistors:
Image

So what we have is the RGB lines from IC2001 running through 6.8k resistors directly to the jungle, and the BLK runing through R816 (whose value is unknown) to the blanking pin on the jungle.

How would I proceed here?

Please note: I do not want to put a switch inline.. I'll be using this as an arcade monitor. I don't ever want to switch back to a non-rgb feed, so I am good with wiring this up for good to only accept 15khz input.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Nov 2017
Posts: 22
Thank you MarkOZLAD. It took me a few weeks but I was able to buy a spare board M off Ebay. So if I mess up I have an extra life.

I am inclined towards removing resistors R159-R161 and insert my RGB lines there. If I go this route would activating close captions using the TV's menu with the remote be all that's required to turn on the blanking signal? (save the extra step of having to build a blanking switch).



MarkOZLAD wrote:
There appear to be a lot of via's (small holes that attach to circuits) on the board. I would be investigating whether they could be used as entry/solder points for through hole resistors. My "Plan A" would still be to remove R159, R160 and R161 and replacing them with two twisted together resistors (ala the 8 Bit Guy mod). In your case the CCD mux inlines would be 750 Ohm resistors that would be twisted to 75 Ohm resistors. (The resistors on the CCD lines, R162, R163 and R164 are 4700 so 750 can be looked up on my 0.7Vp-p cheat sheet in my signature)

Image

Another option would be to remove R159, R160 and R161, insert 750 Ohm resistors into the vias that are attached, then run these to the RGB inputs and do your 75 ohm termination at the input. (RCA/BNC/Scart/VGA).

For the diagram I drew for blanking I ignored the switch as it is trivial.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 434
Location: n/america
buttersoft wrote:
Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyHmBMI3zC0

I thought i respected this guy, but it turns out he's a clown.



hahaha.
don't be too hard on him, it's just not his thing


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:30 am 



Joined: 06 Nov 2018
Posts: 43
OK, so for the 25RS-100 post above (look 3 posts back)...

There are no diodes or caps inbetween IC2001 (IX3528CE System Control) and the IC201 (Jungle IX3354CE) .. All lines (including blanking) have a 6.8k resistor on them inline between IC2001 and IC201.

I'm assuming based on this:
Image

I should be using 1.1k Ohm resistors on the RGB lines (terminated to ground with 75ohm resistors), and inject this in the hole of the resistor on the leg CLOSEST to IC201. Does that sound right?

Any ideas for the blanking line? do I just shove 5v directly into the blanking pin? do I inject 5v high on the leg closest to IC2001 so it goes through the resistor? Do I need another or different resistor there?

For 5V source, looks like I can clean 5v off Pin 3 of IC771 (5V Regulator), from topside jumper 906. Does that sound right?
Image
Image

For reference, the Jungle IC is equivalent to Sanyo LA76843N, datasheets here: https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet ... 6843N.html


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:33 am 



Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 594
cargo wrote:
If I go this route would activating close captions using the TV's menu with the remote be all that's required to turn on the blanking signal? (save the extra step of having to build a blanking switch


That won’t work. Closed caption will only send blanking signals when it’s trying to draw characters.
_________________
___________________________________________________
MarkOZLAD
OSD/External RGB Mux Diagram
OSD/External RGB Mux Resistor Value Table 0.7Vp-p : 0.5Vp-p

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TV RGB mod thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:54 am 



Joined: 26 Jun 2019
Posts: 14
Philips 14gl1319 very bad image after OSD / Ext RGB mod.
I don't know what I did wrong but the image only appears dark and with a lot of interference.
Please help me I have some pictures.
https://imgur.com/oiOWKEd
https://imgur.com/qRVTtGq
https://imgur.com/fRM5gZ3
https://imgur.com/nRIrpMO
https://imgur.com/KtjNwm7
https://imgur.com/fyixoq7
https://imgur.com/1NdtZ7N
https://imgur.com/4xx0HOe


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rotanibor and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group