shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:44 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 224  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:37 pm 

I'd feel a little burned if I bought an iScan HD+ based on that 240p list. There should be a little more information.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:06 am 

How would the idea of a new model ossc with the digital scaler that's being used in modded consoles work?

I'm looking further down the road in terms of future compatibility, but rather then processing the image, interger scaling and running the game's original timings in 1080p would solve a ton of video issues, but also adding more memory to properly support deinterlace would be the next step.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm 

headlesshobbs wrote:
How would the idea of a new model ossc with the digital scaler that's being used in modded consoles work?

I'm looking further down the road in terms of future compatibility, but rather then processing the image, interger scaling and running the game's original timings in 1080p would solve a ton of video issues, but also adding more memory to properly support deinterlace would be the next step.

Personally, I'd like to see this, along with TOSLINK I/O and a better layout for all the inputs. Analogue video scalers and processors are not getting any easier to find, nor are the ones available getting any cheaper.

On the other hand, 4K TVs tend to support the OSSC just fine (Aside from a still-common issue with the NES/SNES, resolved by the dejitter mod); and those features 1) are already on the Framemeister, and 2) would bring the cost of the OSSC up to that of the Framemeister, so you might as well get a Framemeister. I imagine we'd only see an OSSC 2.x with a scaler of that sort once Micomsoft decides to completely abandon this market.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:28 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
headlesshobbs wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see this, along with TOSLINK I/O and a better layout for all the inputs. Analogue video scalers and processors are not getting any easier to find, nor are the ones available getting any cheaper.

On the other hand, 4K TVs tend to support the OSSC just fine (Aside from a still-common issue with the NES/SNES, resolved by the dejitter mod); and those features 1) are already on the Framemeister, and 2) would bring the cost of the OSSC up to that of the Framemeister, so you might as well get a Framemeister. I imagine we'd only see an OSSC 2.x with a scaler of that sort once Micomsoft decides to completely abandon this market.

I want an HDMI input and LPF options on the VGA connector myself :D

Question: If I get a CSync PS2 cable from Retro-Access, which uses an LM1881, I won't be able to use 480p, right? Is there any custom solution that would let me connect a PS2 to an Extron VGA switch and get 480i and 480p+ support from the same cable (internal CSync mod maybe?)

Or since 480p is sync on green, does the sync stripper not matter?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:16 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:
Question: If I get a CSync PS2 cable from Retro-Access, which uses an LM1881, I won't be able to use 480p, right? Is there any custom solution that would let me connect a PS2 to an Extron VGA switch and get 480i and 480p+ support from the same cable (internal CSync mod maybe?)

I don't know first-hand, but I believe the sync stripper is only applied to the sync line (CVBS or luma); so, assuming your PS2 hasn't been modded for full-time RGBS with clean sync (negating the need for this cable in the first place), yes, the RGsB signal would bypass the sync stripper.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:06 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
headlesshobbs wrote:

I want an HDMI input and LPF options on the VGA connector myself :D

I've designed an in-line switchable 36MHz LPF for VGA for this exact purpose using a THS7373, I need to test it but once it's confirmed working I'll upload the PCB files to OSH park if anyone else wants to build one

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:51 am 

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 93SB PC CRT monitor, and while lovely and sharp and colourful, light sources in dark scenes make fading smears on the screen, such as when you're running around in an FPS or go past a light on the ceiling or something. Anyone come across this before?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:35 pm 

Is it worth getting a GCHD Mk-II or those BNC Component Cables if I already have the Official GameCube Component Cables and plan on playing on an analog BVM CRT with an Extron Crosspoint BNC Switcher? Would there be a difference in picture quality?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:47 pm 

GeneraLight wrote:
Is it worth getting a GCHD Mk-II or those BNC Component Cables if I already have the Official GameCube Component Cables and plan on playing on an analog BVM CRT with an Extron Crosspoint BNC Switcher? Would there be a difference in picture quality?

If you're playing on a CRT, you probably won't notice a difference. If you want digital audio, however, you'll need the GCHD Mk2.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
If you're playing on a CRT, you probably won't notice a difference.

What difference would there be?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:44 pm 

GeneraLight wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
If you're playing on a CRT, you probably won't notice a difference.

What difference would there be?

I believe the GCVideo analog solutions have a very slight advantage over the official component cables on color fringing

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:07 pm 

It's not necessarily an advantage, and the zero-order hold can't normally be seen on conventional 4:2:2 sampling component video decoders.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:05 pm 

GeneraLight wrote:
Is it worth getting a GCHD Mk-II or those BNC Component Cables if I already have the Official GameCube Component Cables and plan on playing on an analog BVM CRT with an Extron Crosspoint BNC Switcher?

It will give you digital audio support.

GeneraLight wrote:
Would there be a difference in picture quality?

It was mentioned on youtube that yes there is a slight difference in picture quality (GCHD Mk-II giving a slightly better picture), I dunno if you would be able to notice it on a BVM CRT though.

Last edited by Lawfer on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:16 pm 

Those games can be forced to run in proper 480p with Swiss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:17 pm 

Extrems wrote:

Not with the GCHD Mk-II then?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:19 pm 

I don't understand the question.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 pm 

Extrems wrote:
I don't understand the question.

Is the 480p forced support done through only the Swiss software, or can it be done also by the GCHD Mk-II/GCVideo?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 pm 

All that GCVideo-DVI can do is bob deinterlacing. Swiss can actually expose the full resolution and disable deflickering.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 pm 

Extrems wrote:
All that GCVideo-DVI can do is bob deinterlacing. Swiss can actually expose the full resolution and disable deflickering.

Oh I see, thank you for letting me know, I'll edit my post.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:33 pm 

Wait, no! That list was useful for future testing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 pm 

Is it possible to simultaneously run the component out to a PVM at 480i, while the HDMI goes out at 480p for high quality recording?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:38 pm 

Extrems wrote:

Oh here you go:

Summoner: A Goddess Reborn, Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, Lost Kingdoms, Lost Kingdoms II, Killer7.

These are the games I have in my collection that I can confirm will only run at 480i on a vanilla DOL-001 GameCube USA NTSC console with the official component cables.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:12 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:
I believe the GCVideo analog solutions have a very slight advantage over the official component cables on color fringing
Lawfer wrote:
It was mentioned on youtube that yes there is a slight difference in picture quality (GCHD Mk-II giving a slightly better picture), I dunno if you would be able to notice it on a BVM CRT though.

Yeah, I watched My Life in Gaming's new RGB316 :: GameCube HDMI, Component & RGB video on YouTube, as well as Digital Foundry's new DF Retro: GameCube HDMI video on YouTube too. They both say that the new GCVideo analog solutions provide a slightly better image quality than the Official Nintendo GameCube Component Cables, but I'm confused as to how that is done. And can it be considered "accurate"?

https://youtu.be/8RBgbA8DhM0 - RGB316 :: GameCube HDMI, Component & RGB - Plug 'n Play w/ Carby & GCHD Mk-II / MY LIFE IN GAMING
https://youtu.be/4oCtBe0nZew - DF Retro: GameCube HDMI - The Best Video Quality Possible From Nintendo's Classic Console
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... i-adapters - DF Retro: GameCube HDMI Article by John Linneman
John Linneman wrote:
So, are there any drawbacks? Well, head to head with the expensive component cable solution, image clarity is cleaner, brightness is improved and there are fewer video artefacts. Curiously, the GameCube internally processes using the digital component YCbCr, and there is some evidence of chroma sub-sampling - or at least, something that looks very much like it. This presents as a strange artefact when primary colours collide. It's noticeable on the official component cable and while still there on the HDMI solutions, it does seem to be a touch cleaner. Most people won't notice, especially in the heat of the action, but it would be fascinating to know exactly what is causing this minor issue.

Extrems wrote:
It's not necessarily an advantage, and the zero-order hold can't normally be seen on conventional 4:2:2 sampling component video decoders.

Extrems wrote:

What do these mean? I read something about a chroma shift and chroma sub-sampling, as well as some GameCube games having a lower color-bit.

Last edited by GeneraLight on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 pm 

Lawfer wrote:
Extrems wrote:

Oh here you go:

Summoner: A Goddess Reborn, Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, Lost Kingdoms, Lost Kingdoms II, Killer7.

These are the games I have in my collection that I can confirm will only run at 480i on a vanilla DOL-001 GameCube USA NTSC console with the official component cables.

Frankly it's missing from quite a lot of games. Across every genre and publisher, including Nintendo with WarioWare.
Some had 480p on the Xbox or Dreamcast. (Capcom vs SNK 2, Skies of Arcadia, TimeSplitters 2, Mega Man Anniversary Collection...)

Modchips like Qoob can also force 480p, but I think Swiss has better compatibility.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:44 pm 

theclaw wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
Extrems wrote:

Oh here you go:

Frankly it's missing from quite a lot of games. Across every genre and publisher, including Nintendo with WarioWare.
Some had 480p on the Xbox or Dreamcast. (Capcom vs SNK 2, Skies of Arcadia, TimeSplitters 2, Mega Man Anniversary Collection...)

Modchips like Qoob can also force 480p, but I think Swiss has better compatibility.

It's not a complete list or anything, that's just from the games that I have and that I mentioned from what I remembered, I also forgot to mention Evolution Worlds, this game is also 480i only.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:49 pm 

theclaw wrote:

Swiss' compatibility far surpasses the Qoob IPL and Nintendont.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:16 am 

I just noticed that white levels aren't as white with the GCHD Mk-II/Carby/GCDual analog solution as they are with the Official GameCube Component Cables. Things that should be pure white aren't with the new analog output, as the picture displayed by GCVideo analog looks slightly darker than the Official GameCube Component Cables. Is this intentional or something that can be fixed?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:44 am 

Does anyone have a link to the "simple" Genesis model 1 audio circuit recapping using (iirc) wima electrolytic capacitors? I remember it being mentioned and since I'm contemplating recapping my CD player anyway I might as well do both.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:05 am 

Is the RetroDC actually still available? Their website just shows a pre-order expected to ship April 2018. At the very least it's a bit alarming that they haven't updated their website in ~9 months.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:36 pm 

How do sync strippers/separators handle a composite sync (CSYNC) signal? Is the signal unaffected?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 224  Next