shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:53 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221 ... 242  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:57 pm 

eccoboy wrote:
How do sync strippers/separators handle a composite sync (CSYNC) signal? Is the signal unaffected?

Sync strippers will take CVBS, luma, SoG, and/or clean composite sync and spit out clean composite sync; so, no, the source signal will be affected in the form of all video data being stripped.

Sync separators are different devices, and I'm pretty sure at least some require clean composite sync to begin with.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:05 pm 

I ask this because retro gaming cables sells a scart to bnc adapter with built in sync separator and I wonder what affect, if any, that separator has when connected to a console already outputting CSYNC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:22 pm 

It will work, the image will be shifted slightly (to the right I think but not sure).

Unless your BNC device requires clean sync I wouldn't recommend it though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:03 pm 

Interesting. I’ll stay away from it then. Maybe they should include an off/off switch for the separator.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:15 pm 

Kez wrote:
It will work, the image will be shifted slightly (to the right I think but not sure).

Unless your BNC device requires clean sync I wouldn't recommend it though.

Indeed, there's no gain from this, it's only for displays that can do neither video composite as sync nor sync on luma.

For example, for PS2 if your display can do sync on luma, get a sync on luma cable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 am 

1.) Is HDMI to HD-SDI a lagless conversion?

2.) Also, I have a Wii that will not read any SD Cards I insert into it. Regardless of whether they're SD or SDHC at 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, etc. this message shows up every time. Note: I switched DVD drives on this Wii prior to testing the SD Cards. Before swapping DVD Drives, SD Cards worked perfectly. Do you think it's some kind of dirt or dust on the contacts of the SD Card reader? Or is there some console-specific copy protection being employed that activated when I swapped DVD drives?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:12 am 

Sega Saturn Rhea and Phoebe: Which one do you all suggest buying for a Model/Version 1 (oval button) Sega Saturn? Neither of my (now 3x) Sega Saturn model 1's match the pictures posted on the identification page (one of mine I can't even find a single picture of a similar version online...), so if I can even get one of these devices (which is a big 'if' – having to stalk the page and wake up at 5am it seems), but I want to be ready: so if I luck out, which would be the best bet for a model 1 Saturn?

I'm fine having to buy a bunch of Saturn's off eBay until I find one that's compatible...just want to get the best bet between the two devices. Has to be a model 1 as I like the original (and some hints online of that having slightly better RGB output).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:20 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
Sega Saturn Rhea and Phoebe: Which one do you all suggest buying for a Model/Version 1 (oval button) Sega Saturn? Neither of my (now 3x) Sega Saturn model 1's match the pictures posted on the identification page (one of mine I can't even find a single picture of a similar version online...), so if I can even get one of these devices (which is a big 'if' – having to stalk the page and wake up at 5am it seems), but I want to be ready: so if I luck out, which would be the best bet for a model 1 Saturn?

The Saturn identification guide lists CD-ROM drive model numbers. Have you tried cross-referencing those with that's in your Saturns?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:27 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
The Saturn identification guide lists CD-ROM drive model numbers. Have you tried cross-referencing those with that's in your Saturns?

That's the page I was going by - I was going by the layout of everything (drive, ribbon cables, where the power supply is, how the board under the CD-Rom with its multiple connectors is laid out), none of mine match any of those pictures. I can open up these Saturns (2x of them at least, 3rd is on loan) and see if there's any identifying marks on the CD drives themselves with manufacturer and model number if that's the best thing to do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:41 pm 

Wait for the Satiator IMO. It seems to be close enough that it's not worth dealing with the Rhea/Phoebe BS anymore. In the meantime for Saturn games you really want to play but won't buy, consider using one of those Action Replay cart solutions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:01 pm 

Anyone have any ideas why the Status page on my BVM-20G1E is blank? It should show operating time etc, but on mine it's just a blank page

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:10 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:
Wait for the Satiator IMO. It seems to be close enough that it's not worth dealing with the Rhea/Phoebe BS anymore. In the meantime for Saturn games you really want to play but won't buy, consider using one of those Action Replay cart solutions.

I'm having trouble finding a concise document that describes exactly what the Satiator is supposed to do or what it's intended to support--just production updates and little bits about it allowing booting from USB--and I haven't found anything that even remotely suggests it supports MPEG decoding, which tells me the Rhea and Phoebe have the advantage of not occupying the expansion slot and thus being usable with the MPEG decoder. Unless the Satiator can also be the MPEG card, to provide a truly all-in-one solution, I don't see how the it could entirely up-end the Rhea and Phoebe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:41 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:

I'm having trouble finding a concise document that describes exactly what the Satiator is supposed to do or what it's intended to support--just production updates and little bits about it allowing booting from USB--and I haven't found anything that even remotely suggests it supports MPEG decoding, which tells me the Rhea and Phoebe have the advantage of not occupying the expansion slot and thus being usable with the MPEG decoder. Unless the Satiator can also be the MPEG card, to provide a truly all-in-one solution, I don't see how the it could entirely up-end the Rhea and Phoebe.

Here's some of the info you want:

https://www.patreon.com/prof_abrasive

If it lives up to its promise, the Satiator will render the Rhea/Phoebe utterly obsolete in pretty much all aspects except taking up the expansion slot. Besides Lunar 2, what game is really out there that's worth fretting about for MPEG support? In any case, it will probably be cheaper and much simpler to use the Satiator and buy the MPEG games, or use CD backups with an AR cart for those only.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:39 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:

For the Satiator, that uses the cartridge slot, right? Has he found a fix for the cartridge slot on Saturn's being completely hit or miss (more miss from what I've experienced and read)? The cartridge slot is a well known problem on Saturn's, and I've quite literally tried every. single. fix. out there (tried every forum post I found and every YouTube video claiming to fix it) - short of soldering it in place of course; nothing worked 100%.

I even bought another Action Replay to rule mine out as being faulty, and tested these on multiple Saturn's - still a no-go. It was so much trouble I bought and installed a Phoenix Universal modchip and edited all my Japan-only ISO's to play on a NTSC console. ...so unless he has a workaround for that cartridge slot wonkiness, I only see a new batch of problems arising from an Everdrive-type device which uses said cartridge slot. I only have a sample of 2x carts and 3x Saturn's...but that still turns me off from anything using the slot. I'm also curious if his device has the RAM expansion built into it? (quite a few games need that).

Anyway, the Saturn is the very last of my 14 consoles which still uses optical discs, so I'm on the hunt to get something for it (I have a bad track record of optical drives going bad...had multiple bad ones on GC, Wii, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Saturn, DC, etc.).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:06 pm 

it uses the card slot on the back, not the cartridge slot on the top.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:21 pm 

AndehX wrote:

Lol. Good! I didn't even notice it has one! Let's see who has availability first though - the Phoebe/Rhea guy, or this one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
AndehX wrote:

Lol. Good! I didn't even notice it has one! Let's see who has availability first though - the Phoebe/Rhea guy, or this one.

The Phoebe/Rhea will certainly be "available" sooner, but you'll need really demonic luck to get in on the pre-orders as always. My guess is that the Satiator will not be publicly available until the 2nd half of 2019 (again, just a guess). But once it's out, there really will be no need for virtually any Saturn user to look for another ODE solution.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:59 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:

Well, Action Replay wasn't right for me. I don't care for manually backing up save files.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 am 

nvm. My question is reposted in the ossc thread.

Last edited by headlesshobbs on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:21 pm 

Hey guys, my childhood SNES seems to have died (A GPM-02 board). It is just a black screen with no sound at all.

From what i've read this sounds like a dead CPU? I'd really hope not, as this system originally belonged to my grandmother who passed away this past August. I'd really like to keep it working but I don't know if I have the skills to desolder and solder a new CPU in.

I took it apart and removed the ZIF connector and tried to clean all the contacts on the connector and the board with alcohol but that did nothing. So i'm assuming dead CPU...right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:38 pm 

BONKERS wrote:
Hey guys, my childhood SNES seems to have died (A GPM-02 board). It is just a black screen with no sound at all.

From what i've read this sounds like a dead CPU? I'd really hope not, as this system originally belonged to my grandmother who passed away this past August. I'd really like to keep it working but I don't know if I have the skills to desolder and solder a new CPU in.

I took it apart and removed the ZIF connector and tried to clean all the contacts on the connector and the board with alcohol but that did nothing. So i'm assuming dead CPU...right?

I was in a similar situation this year and realized that it was my PSU, not the board, that had died.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 pm 

SavagePencil wrote:
BONKERS wrote:

I was in a similar situation this year and realized that it was my PSU, not the board, that had died.

I had considered this. But don't have a spare to test. Everything I found from googling seemed to point to CPU though. But i'll definitely buy another PSU and see if that helps. Thanks for that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:53 am 

If I put C-sync through an Extron Crosspoint (this one, specifically), will it process it in any way? Will it try to reform it somehow? Or will it pass it right through, quirks and all?

I'm hoping it passes it right through. If it doesn't, I might need to rethink the whole cabling-system I'm planning for my setup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:11 am 

SamIAm wrote:
If I put C-sync through an Extron Crosspoint (this one, specifically), will it process it in any way? Will it try to reform it somehow?

According to the specs, it will use AGC to change its level to TTL. If the signal you are sending through is anything except an actual H/V/CSync signal, it will probably not survive this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 pm 

Unseen wrote:
SamIAm wrote:
If I put C-sync through an Extron Crosspoint (this one, specifically), will it process it in any way? Will it try to reform it somehow?

According to the specs, it will use AGC to change its level to TTL. If the signal you are sending through is anything except an actual H/V/CSync signal, it will probably not survive this.

I just mean in terms of timing. Some systems have weird timing quirks that Extrons with ADSP enabled will try to fix...sometimes successfully, sometimes not...and it might be significant to the specific monitors I use if this Crosspoint does anything along similar lines.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:27 pm 

SamIAm wrote:
I just mean in terms of timing. Some systems have weird timing quirks that Extrons with ADSP enabled will try to fix...sometimes successfully, sometimes not...and it might be significant to the specific monitors I use if this Crosspoint does anything along similar lines.

Not that I'm aware of. Which systems specifically are you talking about? And what weird things would I be on the lookout for?

I have the usual mainstream consoles: NES, TG16, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GC, OG Xbox, 360, Wii, and no problems I've seen (and have 2x+ of each console I've tried through 3x different sizes of Crosspoints, normally going to Sony PVM and BVM monitors, along with Component consumer sets...have tried a bunch of JVC, Panasonic, and an Ikegami or two as well).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:34 pm 

auto gain control is a fully analog process, if it changed the sync timing at all it would be by nanoseconds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:35 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
Not that I'm aware of. Which systems specifically are you talking about? And what weird things would I be on the lookout for?

I have the usual mainstream consoles: NES, TG16, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GC, OG Xbox, 360, Wii, and no problems I've seen (and have 2x+ of each console I've tried through 3x different sizes of Crosspoints, normally going to Sony PVM and BVM monitors, along with Component consumer sets...have tried a bunch of JVC, Panasonic, and an Ikegami or two as well).

That's all good to hear. A few things were worrying me a little:

1. My Ikegami HTM-2050R2 is super-picky about imperfect sync. I have to put PC Engine sync through an Extron 160xi with ADSP and serration removal enabled to get it to work with it. Interestingly, other models of Extrons with the same options won't do this successfully.
2. My Shibasoku CM-201N has an old Extron 202 Plus in front of it to help with horizontal positioning because the monitor's own pot that controls that is on the inside, on the deflection board. I'd like to keep using this particular Extron since every system I have gets along with it.

I actually have the Crosspoint already, which I got for a good price. Now, I just need to commit to buying cables. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:15 am 

SamIAm wrote:
That's all good to hear. A few things were worrying me a little:

1. My Ikegami HTM-2050R2 is super-picky about imperfect sync. I have to put PC Engine sync through an Extron 160xi with ADSP and serration removal enabled to get it to work with it. Interestingly, other models of Extrons with the same options won't do this successfully.

Yeah, unfortunately those Ikegami's are super picky - that's why I stay away from those, the BVM-esque JVC's, the entire Sony BVM A-Series (you know, if I found one with that $1500+ card...), the Sony BVM D9 and D14...all of those suck with these non-broadcast grade console signals from more than a few different systems.

This might be useless for you, I haven't been following the JVC and Ikegami sync-problem threads that much of late (don't know what their latest snd greatest solutions may be), but I did add to my equipment an Extron RGB 580xi to try out. I had several D14's and D9's which had similar sync issues to the Ikegami and JVC's, and the 580xi's Comp dipswitch (which the other Extron RGB's don't have), is supposed to help on some systems and on some monitors with those type of sync issues. --Just a thought, as the 580xi is cheap (I paid $24 shipped a few months ago I think), just to keep around if I happened to pickup yet another D9/D14 (which would also be the first device I tried on any other monitor with issues like these).

Anyway, I don't have your exact monitor to test, but from what I've seen so far the Crosspoint isn't changing the signal in any way besides the sync lines to TTL (which can even be corrected with a resistor, which I do for my OSSC, Framemeister, and Shinybow SB-2840 - all of which can be damaged from that higher sync since they're consumer-oriented devices). Good luck with your Crosspoint - if you have any questions feel free to PM me, I'm up to a 32x32 now... (after outgrowing the 12x8 and 16x16).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:54 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately those Ikegami's are super picky - that's why I stay away from those, the BVM-esque JVC's, the entire Sony BVM A-Series (you know, if I found one with that $1500+ card...), the Sony BVM D9 and D14...all of those suck with these non-broadcast grade console signals from more than a few different systems.

It certainly would be a relief not to have to worry about compatibility and positioning. The thing is, I just love the way the Shibasoku and Ikegamis look. I actually picked up three Ikegami HTM-2050R2s because they weren't so expensive in Japan at the time and they're gorgeous.

Quote:
This might be useless for you, I haven't been following the JVC and Ikegami sync-problem threads that much of late (don't know what their latest snd greatest solutions may be), but I did add to my equipment an Extron RGB 580xi to try out. I had several D14's and D9's which had similar sync issues to the Ikegami and JVC's, and the 580xi's Comp dipswitch (which the other Extron RGB's don't have), is supposed to help on some systems and on some monitors with those type of sync issues. --Just a thought, as the 580xi is cheap (I paid $24 shipped a few months ago I think), just to keep around if I happened to pickup yet another D9/D14 (which would also be the first device I tried on any other monitor with issues like these).

I have one 160xi, and it does indeed fix PCE video. I suspect that any of the "xi" Extrons would do the same, but I can't be sure. Meanwhile, the SS 200, which is new and is supposed to have the same ADSP technology, won't work with it. Neither will the ancient RGB 202 Plus or the somewhat younger RGB 304.

Getting Extron boxes is tough because I'm in Japan, where they are quite rare. Getting what I have so far was the product of much luck and patience.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't have your exact monitor to test, but from what I've seen so far the Crosspoint isn't changing the signal in any way besides the sync lines to TTL (which can even be corrected with a resistor, which I do for my OSSC, Framemeister, and Shinybow SB-2840 - all of which can be damaged from that higher sync since they're consumer-oriented devices). Good luck with your Crosspoint - if you have any questions feel free to PM me, I'm up to a 32x32 now... (after outgrowing the 12x8 and 16x16).

Thanks! I'll probably do that! I remember your giant setup thread in CRTGaming - you probably know how these things work better than anyone at this point.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221 ... 242  Next