Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Extrems

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Extrems »

theclaw wrote:Modchips like Qoob can also force 480p, but I think Swiss has better compatibility.
Swiss' compatibility far surpasses the Qoob IPL and Nintendont.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I just noticed that white levels aren't as white with the GCHD Mk-II/Carby/GCDual analog solution as they are with the Official GameCube Component Cables. Things that should be pure white aren't with the new analog output, as the picture displayed by GCVideo analog looks slightly darker than the Official GameCube Component Cables. Is this intentional or something that can be fixed?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Does anyone have a link to the "simple" Genesis model 1 audio circuit recapping using (iirc) wima electrolytic capacitors? I remember it being mentioned and since I'm contemplating recapping my CD player anyway I might as well do both.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Is the RetroDC actually still available? Their website just shows a pre-order expected to ship April 2018. At the very least it's a bit alarming that they haven't updated their website in ~9 months.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

How do sync strippers/separators handle a composite sync (CSYNC) signal? Is the signal unaffected?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

eccoboy wrote:How do sync strippers/separators handle a composite sync (CSYNC) signal? Is the signal unaffected?
Sync strippers will take CVBS, luma, SoG, and/or clean composite sync and spit out clean composite sync; so, no, the source signal will be affected in the form of all video data being stripped.

Sync separators are different devices, and I'm pretty sure at least some require clean composite sync to begin with.
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

I ask this because retro gaming cables sells a scart to bnc adapter with built in sync separator and I wonder what affect, if any, that separator has when connected to a console already outputting CSYNC.
Kez

Post by Kez »

It will work, the image will be shifted slightly (to the right I think but not sure).

Unless your BNC device requires clean sync I wouldn't recommend it though.
eccoboy

Post by eccoboy »

Interesting. I’ll stay away from it then. Maybe they should include an off/off switch for the separator.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Kez wrote:It will work, the image will be shifted slightly (to the right I think but not sure).

Unless your BNC device requires clean sync I wouldn't recommend it though.
Indeed, there's no gain from this, it's only for displays that can do neither video composite as sync nor sync on luma.

For example, for PS2 if your display can do sync on luma, get a sync on luma cable.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

1.) Is HDMI to HD-SDI a lagless conversion?

2.) Also, I have a Wii that will not read any SD Cards I insert into it. Regardless of whether they're SD or SDHC at 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, etc. this message shows up every time. Note: I switched DVD drives on this Wii prior to testing the SD Cards. Before swapping DVD Drives, SD Cards worked perfectly. Do you think it's some kind of dirt or dust on the contacts of the SD Card reader? Or is there some console-specific copy protection being employed that activated when I swapped DVD drives?

Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Sega Saturn Rhea and Phoebe: Which one do you all suggest buying for a Model/Version 1 (oval button) Sega Saturn? Neither of my (now 3x) Sega Saturn model 1's match the pictures posted on the identification page (one of mine I can't even find a single picture of a similar version online...), so if I can even get one of these devices (which is a big 'if' – having to stalk the page and wake up at 5am it seems), but I want to be ready: so if I luck out, which would be the best bet for a model 1 Saturn?

I'm fine having to buy a bunch of Saturn's off eBay until I find one that's compatible...just want to get the best bet between the two devices. Has to be a model 1 as I like the original (and some hints online of that having slightly better RGB output).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:Sega Saturn Rhea and Phoebe: Which one do you all suggest buying for a Model/Version 1 (oval button) Sega Saturn? Neither of my (now 3x) Sega Saturn model 1's match the pictures posted on the identification page (one of mine I can't even find a single picture of a similar version online...), so if I can even get one of these devices (which is a big 'if' – having to stalk the page and wake up at 5am it seems), but I want to be ready: so if I luck out, which would be the best bet for a model 1 Saturn?
The Saturn identification guide lists CD-ROM drive model numbers. Have you tried cross-referencing those with that's in your Saturns?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote: The Saturn identification guide lists CD-ROM drive model numbers. Have you tried cross-referencing those with that's in your Saturns?
That's the page I was going by - I was going by the layout of everything (drive, ribbon cables, where the power supply is, how the board under the CD-Rom with its multiple connectors is laid out), none of mine match any of those pictures. I can open up these Saturns (2x of them at least, 3rd is on loan) and see if there's any identifying marks on the CD drives themselves with manufacturer and model number if that's the best thing to do.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Wait for the Satiator IMO. It seems to be close enough that it's not worth dealing with the Rhea/Phoebe BS anymore. In the meantime for Saturn games you really want to play but won't buy, consider using one of those Action Replay cart solutions.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Anyone have any ideas why the Status page on my BVM-20G1E is blank? It should show operating time etc, but on mine it's just a blank page
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:Wait for the Satiator IMO. It seems to be close enough that it's not worth dealing with the Rhea/Phoebe BS anymore. In the meantime for Saturn games you really want to play but won't buy, consider using one of those Action Replay cart solutions.
I'm having trouble finding a concise document that describes exactly what the Satiator is supposed to do or what it's intended to support--just production updates and little bits about it allowing booting from USB--and I haven't found anything that even remotely suggests it supports MPEG decoding, which tells me the Rhea and Phoebe have the advantage of not occupying the expansion slot and thus being usable with the MPEG decoder. Unless the Satiator can also be the MPEG card, to provide a truly all-in-one solution, I don't see how the it could entirely up-end the Rhea and Phoebe.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

nmalinoski wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Wait for the Satiator IMO. It seems to be close enough that it's not worth dealing with the Rhea/Phoebe BS anymore. In the meantime for Saturn games you really want to play but won't buy, consider using one of those Action Replay cart solutions.
I'm having trouble finding a concise document that describes exactly what the Satiator is supposed to do or what it's intended to support--just production updates and little bits about it allowing booting from USB--and I haven't found anything that even remotely suggests it supports MPEG decoding, which tells me the Rhea and Phoebe have the advantage of not occupying the expansion slot and thus being usable with the MPEG decoder. Unless the Satiator can also be the MPEG card, to provide a truly all-in-one solution, I don't see how the it could entirely up-end the Rhea and Phoebe.

Here's some of the info you want:

https://www.patreon.com/prof_abrasive

If it lives up to its promise, the Satiator will render the Rhea/Phoebe utterly obsolete in pretty much all aspects except taking up the expansion slot. Besides Lunar 2, what game is really out there that's worth fretting about for MPEG support? In any case, it will probably be cheaper and much simpler to use the Satiator and buy the MPEG games, or use CD backups with an AR cart for those only.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

For the Satiator, that uses the cartridge slot, right? Has he found a fix for the cartridge slot on Saturn's being completely hit or miss (more miss from what I've experienced and read)? The cartridge slot is a well known problem on Saturn's, and I've quite literally tried every. single. fix. out there (tried every forum post I found and every YouTube video claiming to fix it) - short of soldering it in place of course; nothing worked 100%.

I even bought another Action Replay to rule mine out as being faulty, and tested these on multiple Saturn's - still a no-go. It was so much trouble I bought and installed a Phoenix Universal modchip and edited all my Japan-only ISO's to play on a NTSC console. ...so unless he has a workaround for that cartridge slot wonkiness, I only see a new batch of problems arising from an Everdrive-type device which uses said cartridge slot. I only have a sample of 2x carts and 3x Saturn's...but that still turns me off from anything using the slot. I'm also curious if his device has the RAM expansion built into it? (quite a few games need that).

Anyway, the Saturn is the very last of my 14 consoles which still uses optical discs, so I'm on the hunt to get something for it (I have a bad track record of optical drives going bad...had multiple bad ones on GC, Wii, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Saturn, DC, etc.).
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

it uses the card slot on the back, not the cartridge slot on the top.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

AndehX wrote:it uses the card slot on the back, not the cartridge slot on the top.
Lol. Good! I didn't even notice it has one! Let's see who has availability first though - the Phoebe/Rhea guy, or this one.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
AndehX wrote:it uses the card slot on the back, not the cartridge slot on the top.
Lol. Good! I didn't even notice it has one! Let's see who has availability first though - the Phoebe/Rhea guy, or this one.

The Phoebe/Rhea will certainly be "available" sooner, but you'll need really demonic luck to get in on the pre-orders as always. My guess is that the Satiator will not be publicly available until the 2nd half of 2019 (again, just a guess). But once it's out, there really will be no need for virtually any Saturn user to look for another ODE solution.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Well, Action Replay wasn't right for me. I don't care for manually backing up save files.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

nvm. My question is reposted in the ossc thread.
Last edited by headlesshobbs on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Hey guys, my childhood SNES seems to have died (A GPM-02 board). It is just a black screen with no sound at all.

From what i've read this sounds like a dead CPU? I'd really hope not, as this system originally belonged to my grandmother who passed away this past August. I'd really like to keep it working but I don't know if I have the skills to desolder and solder a new CPU in.

I took it apart and removed the ZIF connector and tried to clean all the contacts on the connector and the board with alcohol but that did nothing. So i'm assuming dead CPU...right?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

BONKERS wrote:Hey guys, my childhood SNES seems to have died (A GPM-02 board). It is just a black screen with no sound at all.

From what i've read this sounds like a dead CPU? I'd really hope not, as this system originally belonged to my grandmother who passed away this past August. I'd really like to keep it working but I don't know if I have the skills to desolder and solder a new CPU in.

I took it apart and removed the ZIF connector and tried to clean all the contacts on the connector and the board with alcohol but that did nothing. So i'm assuming dead CPU...right?
I was in a similar situation this year and realized that it was my PSU, not the board, that had died.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

SavagePencil wrote:
BONKERS wrote:Hey guys, my childhood SNES seems to have died (A GPM-02 board). It is just a black screen with no sound at all.

I was in a similar situation this year and realized that it was my PSU, not the board, that had died.
I had considered this. But don't have a spare to test. Everything I found from googling seemed to point to CPU though. But i'll definitely buy another PSU and see if that helps. Thanks for that.
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

If I put C-sync through an Extron Crosspoint (this one, specifically), will it process it in any way? Will it try to reform it somehow? Or will it pass it right through, quirks and all?

I'm hoping it passes it right through. If it doesn't, I might need to rethink the whole cabling-system I'm planning for my setup.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

SamIAm wrote:If I put C-sync through an Extron Crosspoint (this one, specifically), will it process it in any way? Will it try to reform it somehow?
According to the specs, it will use AGC to change its level to TTL. If the signal you are sending through is anything except an actual H/V/CSync signal, it will probably not survive this.
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Unseen wrote:
SamIAm wrote:If I put C-sync through an Extron Crosspoint (this one, specifically), will it process it in any way? Will it try to reform it somehow?
According to the specs, it will use AGC to change its level to TTL. If the signal you are sending through is anything except an actual H/V/CSync signal, it will probably not survive this.
I just mean in terms of timing. Some systems have weird timing quirks that Extrons with ADSP enabled will try to fix...sometimes successfully, sometimes not...and it might be significant to the specific monitors I use if this Crosspoint does anything along similar lines.