shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367  Next
 Post subject: Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:12 pm 

Blair wrote:
as I recall there was a software project a little while ago attempting to use video capture cards and software scaling to do something very similar for video games, but I haven't heard anything about it in over a year.

PtBi?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:48 pm 

Not really an update, but I've removed the old Framemeister GBI driver from the profiles package. Extrems provides regular updates to this driver himself, so it's better to use the one from his link. My web page may need a browser refresh to see the new update, but this is just for new users anyway.

Edit: Extrems has just updated his link package with separate OSSC and Framemeister drivers. The OSSC version uses custom timing to avoid frame duplication.

The official component cables don't quite offer a perfectly clean signal, so the above image is as good as it will get for optimal timing on GBA games. However, I've ordered the EON GCHD adapter and will compare the with lossless captures how clean it looks to that of the official component cables.

Edit: Extrems has just updated his link package with separate OSSC and Framemeister drivers. The OSSC version uses custom timing to avoid frame duplication. I'm now working on optimal settings for the best possible picture in 240p mode with the new driver.

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:53 am 

Hey guys, long time lurker but I had to register for an account after my Framemeister seemingly died and perhaps maybe someone could point me in the right direction of what to do. What started it all was my 3rd party AC adapter stopped working after over a year so I replaced it with a new one and to my horror, the Framemeister only boots up to the power on light- no inputs, no picture, and the remote stopped working (it only works to power on the unit) and none of the button on the unit works either (except the power button).

I tried changing AC adapters and HDMI cables in case those were the cause of the problems but to no avail. I've read that some people downgraded their firmware and re-upgraded again, so I did that and while the firmware flashing seemed to work, the unit is still dead. The only way to turn it off is by holding down the power button for several seconds.

It's truly bizarre- it is possible that the original AC adapter dying cause something to short out or something? I tried contacting Micomsoft (my unit is only slightly over a year old) but their reply was to buy a new remote. Any help would be greatly appreciated or am I left with a $300 paperweight here?

Last edited by Jameson Rook on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:50 am 

Has anyone ever made a cable for directly connecting a PS2 to the FM's RGB input?

I mostly just use the FM for PS2 480i games now, and would prefer to not use an adapter (I have the official Sony JP D-terminal cable but I assume it can't be used for RGB at 480i).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:25 am 

retro gaming cables U.K. has a sync on luma cable for ps1/2. works with xrgb.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:38 am 

I'm looking for something that connects directly to the mini-DIN port on the FM without the use of an adapter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am 

jd213 wrote:
Has anyone ever made a cable for directly connecting a PS2 to the FM's RGB input?

I mostly just use the FM for PS2 480i games now, and would prefer to not use an adapter (I have the official Sony JP D-terminal cable but I assume it can't be used for RGB at 480i).

RetroGamingCables has all the parts, and can likely make you a custom cable if you ask them. Shoot them an email and see what they say.

Just be aware that the PS2 switches to RGsB for 480p and up, and Framemeister will only take RGBS, so you'll either have to deal with never using 480p and up, or modding your console to always output RGBS. Personally, I'd just deal with a component to D-Terminal adapter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:37 pm 

Which FBX profile should I be using for PS1 games on PS2 with scanlines (via component)?

I would think the standard PS1 720p profile, but that one is preset to RGB... when I load it and switch to component, it’s zoomed in way too far. I can zoom out but I want that FBX seal of approval that it’s the correct settings.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:57 pm 

Normally the FBX profile should carry over to other inputs, though perhaps component is not included on PS1 profiles as the original console cannot output it..
Firstly, make sure you are using LOAD and not LOAD_SELECT to load the profile. If you are, load the profile and while still in RGB write down the relevant settings (mainly h scaler/V scaler and the zoom settings), then switch to component and check it against what you have written down.

I doubt there would be a great deal of zoom on a 720 ps1 profile so it sounds like something isn't right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:17 pm 

I’ll get a fresh download of FBX’s profiles just to be safe. As long as I know that is the correct profile for PS1 720p, then good point, one way or the other I can save a component version, even if it means recording the values by hand

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:46 pm 

Also there are 1080p profiles specifically for playing PS1 games on PS2:

Code:
82PS214X   --  NTSC Sony PS2's PS1 mode 240p Component and RGB Output 4X vertical scaled.
83PS215X   --  NTSC Sony PS2's PS1 mode 240p Component and RGB Output 5X vertical scaled.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm 

Kez wrote:
Also there are 1080p profiles specifically for playing PS1 games on PS2:

Code:
82PS214X   --  NTSC Sony PS2's PS1 mode 240p Component and RGB Output 4X vertical scaled.
83PS215X   --  NTSC Sony PS2's PS1 mode 240p Component and RGB Output 5X vertical scaled.

Yup, and i’d use that if I don’t need scanlines. But you need a 720p output for those.

I think I’ll typically go scanlines on 2D games and 1080p for 3D games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:20 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
jd213 wrote:

RetroGamingCables has all the parts, and can likely make you a custom cable if you ask them. Shoot them an email and see what they say.

Just be aware that the PS2 switches to RGsB for 480p and up, and Framemeister will only take RGBS, so you'll either have to deal with never using 480p and up, or modding your console to always output RGBS. Personally, I'd just deal with a component to D-Terminal adapter.

Thanks, I'll try contacting them.

Won't be using the FM for 480p, so no support needed there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:24 am 

jd213 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
jd213 wrote:

Thanks, I'll try contacting them.

Won't be using the FM for 480p, so no support needed there.

No luck with RetroGamingCables, they said "we don't make those"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 am 

Question for FBX in regards to your Framemeister profiles: will the PSP profiles you have created also work for a PSP 3000 over component/D-terminal? Or are they only optimized for a PSPGo?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:46 pm 

GojiFan90 wrote:
Question for FBX in regards to your Framemeister profiles: will the PSP profiles you have created also work for a PSP 3000 over component/D-terminal? Or are they only optimized for a PSPGo?

I only had access to a PSPgo, so it would require a bit of luck for them to be kosher on the PSP 3000.

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:18 am 

FBX wrote:
I only had access to a PSPgo, so it would require a bit of luck for them to be kosher on the PSP 3000.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I'll give them a go and see!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:49 am 

Does anyone know what the minimum card size for putting Framemeister profiles is? Or a small card you had success with?

I might have lowballed it too much. I got a 128mb card (yes, mb) thinking it would be just fine for profiles. I did manage to format it to Fat32 using command line on the Mac. But the Framemeister just doesn’t like it, no matter what I do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:10 am 

I can't think of a reason a smaller card would not work... I would double check your folder structure:

Code:
SD:/XRGBmini/EEPData/<profiles go here>

and also power cycle a few times once it's in, sometimes it can be a bit funny about picking the card up on first boot after inserting it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:17 am 

Kez wrote:
I can't think of a reason a smaller card would not work... I would double check your folder structure:

Code:
SD:/XRGBmini/EEPData/<profiles go here>

and also power cycle a few times once it's in, sometimes it can be a bit funny about picking the card up on first boot after inserting it.

The folder structure should be fine because I was copying from my 64gb card that works (which I’d rather use on my sd2snes for obvious reasons).

But I’ll give it a few extra tries based on your faith. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:20 am 

If that fails you could also try the SD Card Formatter which is available on Mac.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:11 am 

New package update:

I got a request to make HD Retrovision-based profiles for the Genesis and Power Base Converter. It took 3 hours, but I got them scaled, aligned, and color calibrated. They are in a separate folder in the new zip package:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/framemeisterprofiles-2018-03-25.zip

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:26 pm 

Added SNES HD Retrovision profiles, renamed all the HD Retrovision profiles to separate them from the normal files list, and added an easy reference text file in the folder for what each profile does:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fra ... -03-26.zip

HDR is sending me their assortment of adapters so I can extend more profile support in future updates.

-FBX

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:49 pm 

Been a big fan of your work for quite a while FBX. Any chance you'll do profiles for the EON GCHD through the Framemeister?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:47 pm 

Danexmurder wrote:
Been a big fan of your work for quite a while FBX. Any chance you'll do profiles for the EON GCHD through the Framemeister?

I think putting EON through the FM would defeat the purpose of the EON somewhat. Particularly given that 480p scaling is one of the FM's weakest areas. Unless your TV has awful built in scaling you're probably better off plugging it in directly or setting the FM to pass through.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:46 pm 

Kez wrote:
Danexmurder wrote:

I think putting EON through the FM would defeat the purpose of the EON somewhat. Particularly given that 480p scaling is one of the FM's weakest areas. Unless your TV has awful built in scaling you're probably better off plugging it in directly or setting the FM to pass through.

Yeah putting 480p sources into the FM is making the situation worse instead of better. Now if the OSSC had an HDMI input...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:04 pm 

FBX wrote:
Kez wrote:
Danexmurder wrote:

Yeah putting 480p sources into the FM is making the situation worse instead of better. Now if the OSSC had an HDMI input...

Good to know, If I run it through the FM it'll just be on pass through for an extra input. Thanks for the reply!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:36 pm 

I am new in this forum and have a queestion. I am proud owner of the Framemeister since yesterday and I really like it so far. Even with composite Video the image quality is quite good, and over component (D Terminal) the image is awesome.

But i have a little problem. When i wanted to try to connect my Nintendo Gamecube over RGB Scart I get no image. I am using the gamecube RGB cable from console goods uk.

Same goes for my old dreamcast no name RGB scart cable.

I wonder now if there is the change that same RGB Scart cables are not working with the Framemeister ? If so what type cables are going to work? Or is this impossible and I had bad luck with my Framemeister and the I got one with a damaged RGB port.??

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:09 pm 

First of all, only the PAL Gamecube outputs RGB so if you're using an NTSC one then it won't work. Though if you are having problems with DC it sounds like something else.

What cable are you using to connect SCART into the Framemeister? JP21 or EuroSCART? If you have the JP21 adapter (this is standard with a brand new Framemeister) then it will not work with standard EuroSCART cables (which your Gamecube definitely is and your Dreamcast almost certainly is as well).

If you bought it from Solaris, they have a EuroSCART option so check your order and make sure that's what you got. If you got it elsewhere, check that order and look at the description or ask the seller. If you're still unsure, unscrew the collar from the SCART head and open it up, take a picture of where the cables connect to the back of the connector and post it here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:47 pm 

I ordered the Framemeister directly at Solaris Japan with the Euro Scart Adapter not the JP21. I double checked to be on the save side. It is not that simple unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367  Next