shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:10 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 am 

Well that sucks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:46 pm 

Hello guys, Im pretty new to the supergun business, but have been using it for MVS carts for a while, which works fine. However, just got my first board (WWF Superstars), and the supergun cuts the power when i try to boot it up. So ive been thinking, maybe its not the right voltage? After all, there is an option to change from 5V (which the MV1FZ use) to 12 volt, so ive been thinking, maybe that is what i have to do? But i dont want to do it if i can damage something.

Anyways, i use a retroelectonik supergun, works great as i said with the MV1FZ. Shuts down instantly when i try the WWF Superstars board. So do avoid damage to anything, i ask here. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 pm 

Are you using the "ProGamer" version of the retroelectronik supergun? If so what voltage is it displaying?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm 

Since this may be helpful to anyone who's considering it: I can put in my recommendation NOT to buy the Retroelectronik supergun. I bought one back in May, and given the warnings of a number of people here and elsewhere, I made sure to look it over to ensure it was good. Nothing was touching any traces, nothing seemed cold-soldered, etc... It was all fine, I assumed.

Then my MV1B died. Which I chalked up to being a used piece of hardware, and moved on to a MB1A. Which immediately started acting up.

After troubleshooting everything I could, I finally found, while cleaning the JAMMA ends of things, that one of the grounds in the connector on the supergun was snapped off. Now, it could've been me (unlikely), or it could've just been made with a really shitty connector. But it was broken. Also, it was last week, so I couldn't exactly get a refund on the thing.

In addition: I had bought the 15 pin to 9 pin Sega adapters and one immediately fried on me. When I went for a refund, I received it after Ebay defaulted to a refund because the seller did not respond. He was similarly radio-silent when I had sent other messages post-purchase.

This thing might look like a great deal to someone new to the scene (as it did to me, and as I am/was), but it's a complete waste of time and money. Do not buy the Retroelectronik supergun, and I would highly suggest anyone who has recently purchased one return theirs. Given my experience, I wouldn't be surprised if the dude just doesn't respond at all and you get a refund and a (piece of shit, dangerous) supergun to chuck in the garbage.

I lost a perfectly good piece of hardware (possibly two; waiting on a MAK Strike now to see if the MV1A is permanently screwed) on this thing. I'd really like if others could be saved from taking a similar risk.

DO NOT BUY THE RETROELECTRONIK SUPERGUN.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm 

The switch for 5v<->12v is simply to change what is measured and displays on the LCD. It does not actually switch voltage anywhere. You have (or should have) +5V, +12V and -5V available from your power supply and via the jamma connector. Check the appropriate jamma pins with a multimeter to confirm.

There is a switch, however, that will enable the retroelektronic to generate -5v, if you are using a power supply that does not provide it and is connected to the ATX (PC power supply) connector. Neo Geo does not require -5v, but WWF might. I would start with confirming you have -5v at the edge connector, and if not, rectifying that situation.

All that said, I recently had a Strikers 1945 board doing the exact same thing that you describe, and I've got an arcade power supply supplying my retroelektronic, with +5v, +12v and -5v present. So, possibly the issues are related, possibly not. But I am watching for any more responses, in case other users are having the same problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 pm 

Yes, Superstars needs -5v, but it would probably run minus sound without it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:58 pm 

Is anyone here using a supergun with one of those multi-game jamma PCB boards?

I'm curious if there is any real advantage over using emulators (output at native resolutions)?

For some reason, MAME seems to get less and less user friendly with every new release. I find myself increasingly frustrated by messages telling me I can't play games that used to work because I am missing files.... even when the rom is apparently for the version of MAME I am using.

So..... while they have always appeared to be somewhat of an oddity to me in this day and age, I find myself curious about replacing mame with a supergun and a good multi-game jamma pcb.

Is there any effective difference between emulators and these multigame boards? Or are they really just a Jamma compatible emulator?

Is anyone still selling supergun consoles that output 240p RGB? I could only see bare bones simple supergun PCBs from Europe or nice consolized superguns but that only output upscaled HDMI or component...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:43 pm 

Can anyone recommend a currently available supergun for a Neo Geo MVS? All I need is RGB out, separate audio out, and 2 controller ports.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:23 pm 

shmupsrocks wrote:
Can anyone recommend a currently available supergun for a Neo Geo MVS? All I need is RGB out, separate audio out, and 2 controller ports.

That's pretty much any of currently available simple supergun boards (I.e. Not one of the consolized hdmi versions).

I am going to buy this one soon:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supergun-Arcad ... SwR7BbhXW8

It looks as good as any so no point in paying $500 for someone else to stick one in a box. I want to use one to try one of those Raspberry Pi with the Jamma adapter to build a mini bartop (to use an 8" rgb crt monitor I have lying around).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 am 

So if two superguns have the same features they're the same? I assumed there could be better and worse implementations of RGB out, audio out, and controller ports, but that's not the case?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:10 am 

Classicgamer, that supergun is made by CBOX. I have the CMVS by CBOX and it fried my OSSC and this guy's OSSC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey-K3qHcJ2w

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 am 

Classicgamer wrote:
Is anyone here using a supergun with one of those multi-game jamma PCB boards?
snip

The multigame boards are literally crappy pc's running an outdated build of mame with a custom interface. The advantage to using a pc is that you can use a newer version of mame with a more powerful computer. also you naturally get more games. If you're going to buy a multigame + supergun, you may as well just buy a cheap pc + amd gpu and use soft 15khz (or something similar).

Classicgamer wrote:
shmupsrocks wrote:

That's pretty much any of currently available simple supergun boards (I.e. Not one of the consolized hdmi versions).

I am going to buy this one soon:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supergun-Arcad ... SwR7BbhXW8

It looks as good as any so no point in paying $500 for someone else to stick one in a box. I want to use one to try one of those Raspberry Pi with the Jamma adapter to build a mini bartop (to use an 8" rgb crt monitor I have lying around).

shmupsrocks wrote:
So if two superguns have the same features they're the same? I assumed there could be better and worse implementations of RGB out, audio out, and controller ports, but that's not the case?

Basically at this point the consensus at multiple forums is :

1. The HAS supergun from member rgb on this site. It features the best build quality, and has all the necessary features
The problem is they're out of stock

2-99 Every supergun that isn't a HAS basically.

Because the HAS is oos, I went with the retroeltronik progamer. Apparently this unit might feed rgb without a buffer. You can see ChuChu Flamingo's posts on the last page about that. For what its worth I haven't had an issue connecting it to my pvm. A friend of mine who does board repairs uses the retroelektronik to test video output on all his repairs. That's just 2 anecdotes, but it's something.

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:
Stay away from retroelectronik. They drive the rgb video without a buffer afaik. Wait for the HAS.

How would we determine with certainty that the retroelektronik's don't have a video buffer?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:52 am 

Retroelectronik's supergun has just four resistors in series for RGBS lines (plus three pots for adjustable RGB out).

I modded one of a friend of mine some time ago, adding a THS7374 and proper attenuation values.Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:03 pm 

The currently available ones I can find info on are the Retroelectronik, Windy Gaming, and MAK Strike. Both the HAS and Sentinel are very promising and hopefully available soon but not right now.

The Windy Gaming looks nice but perhaps somewhat bulky and the internal PSU has a fan which I don't like. Also no audio output separate from the RGB port.

The Retroelectronik is said in the comments here to not properly attenuate the RGB sync line:

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... _supergun/

Also I think it requires an ATX PSU and I believe most or all of those have fans.

The MAK Strike looks to be the best choice for me overall. The main issue with it seems to be a voltage spike which has been known to kill attached decoder boards but I've read several reports of it working fine with the OSSC. It optionally comes with a power supply and I hope that doesn't incorporate a fan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:09 am 

shmupsrocks wrote:
The currently available ones I can find info on are the Retroelectronik, Windy Gaming, and MAK Strike. Both the HAS and Sentinel are very promising and hopefully available soon but not right now.

The Windy Gaming looks nice but perhaps somewhat bulky and the internal PSU has a fan which I don't like. Also no audio output separate from the RGB port.

The Retroelectronik is said in the comments here to not properly attenuate the RGB sync line:

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... _supergun/

Also I think it requires an ATX PSU and I believe most or all of those have fans.

The MAK Strike looks to be the best choice for me overall. The main issue with it seems to be a voltage spike which has been known to kill attached decoder boards but I've read several reports of it working fine with the OSSC. It optionally comes with a power supply and I hope that doesn't incorporate a fan.

FYI you can easily buy an atx psu with no fan, or an adaptive fan. I have a small sfx form factor psu with an adaptive fan. My Cps1, cps 1.5, cps2, and neo geo mv1 do not draw enough power for the fan to turn on. It’s been perfectly silent gaming for me.

Also replacing an atx psu fan with a silent noctua (or whatever) is trivial.

- sucks about the mak strike voltage spike.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:13 pm 

Yeah it's too bad about the voltage spike. Can I prevent it from affecting the OSSC by turning on the supergun before I turn on the OSSC? From what I've read the spike is only right at the moment of switching on the power.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:59 pm 

shmupsrocks wrote:
Yeah it's too bad about the voltage spike. Can I prevent it from affecting the OSSC by turning on the supergun before I turn on the OSSC? From what I've read the spike is only right at the moment of switching on the power.

You should be good as long as you don't use that power switch on the supergun. Leave it in "ON" position and power on the supergun by plugging the PSU's plug to power outlet (or use a power bar). Mechanical switches produce a very high and narrow current peak and there's no circuitry at all on the supergun to suppress it (not so trivial to design such solution to work properly with all kinds of PCB games and PSUs).

Also, check if there's a resistor on the CSync line.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19