GD: DoDonPachi Saidaioujou

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Cagar

Re: GD: DoDonPachi Saidaioujou

Post by Cagar »

Shalashaska wrote:
Cagar wrote:
Giest118 wrote:... So, guys. What in the shit ARE the requirements to fight Hibachi/Inbachi? I know Inbachi requires silly shit like NMNB Everything, but it's a combination of that and several other things, right?
Inbachi: NMNB, All bee items, Rank 30 or more, 30k or more HITS on stage 5.
Pretty sure in that Inbachi clear that was posted, he didn't have 30k hits so I don't think that's part of the requirements.
Oh yeah I noticed the same too, 30k hits must be speculation from earlier....
It's rank 30 then.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

so what is the consensus on ship/shot type? I was playing C-Shot for more survival, but after playing A-Shot for a couple credits I'm starting to think it's just flat out better for both scoring AND survival. Granted I haven't started learning stage 5 yet, but I'm getting the sense that killing things quickly with A-Shot's OP autoshot and then macro-ing out of patterns (a la abnormal palm in futari 1.5) is ultimately going to be more valuable than being able to hit most things on screen at once.
Thoughts?
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Here's my translation of the Character and Story descriptions of the 360 mode on Cave's website (the story can also be found in the artbook):

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/Xbox36 ... ew360mode/

Character

Saya, CV: Aya Hirano
Element Doll Extra Z-002 / Saya

The ultimate Element Doll was made at the Element Doll Electronics Laboratory through experimentation and research.
Hibachi was also constructed around the same time. Saya was instructed to serve her master like any other element doll after the experiment was discontinued.
However, with the emergence of Hibachi, Saya received the special order to repel Hibachi.
Pretty without childish appearance, while maintaining a perfect face-to-face smile.
The inner feelings were intended to be concealed however, the system was unfortunately not aware of the fact that Saya’s real intentions were leaking out.
She was also confused by Hibachi’s sudden betrayal as they had spent time as sisters. Saya can therefore not forgive Hibachi for attacking their companions.

Dislikes
Hibachi

Hibachi (Hina), CV: Aoi Yudai
Boss: Old Element Doll Extra Z-001 / Hina

Friendly, seems to have a bright personality and is always smiling.
In addition, she always thinks that she should give her utmost against her opponents.
As for her past, the ultimate element doll was made through experimentation at the Element Doll Electronics Laboratory.
The manufacturing concept was that they thought that it would the first of the human race to “help as much as it can”.
However, the answer fell into the paradox of “eliminating the human person” after the experimentation had been aborted and she was then frozen.

Life, organisms, plants, flowers in particular

Dislikes
Not making peace, poison

Story

Element Doll Electronics Laboratory.
That’s where the manufacture took place in regards to the research and experimentation of creating the ultimate Element Doll.
Project ”Haruurara”
The manufacturing concept was that they thought that it would the first of the human race to “help as much as it can”.

The first units were created through the passion and effort of the researchers, after having drafted the blueprints for many years.
“Extra Z-001” and “Extra Z-002”. The two bodies were named “Hina” and “Saya”.
They were believed to be the first of humanity to be taught that it was highly important to spend time closely with humans. The two bodies got to spend time together as sisters each day, under the supervision of the chief researcher.

In order to serve their master as the Element Doll while at the same time enhancing their combat capabilities, they were put under the assumption that they were each other’s enemies for virtual training purposes.

However, the outcome of project ”Haruurara” lead to a state of emergency. Hina deduced that the answer was that things had fallen into the paradox of “eliminating the human person”.

The experiments were immediately canceled and Hina was about to be frozen.
Saya was also recovered in the laboratory and the activities for the data analysis were stopped.

However, an incident occurred.
Suddenly, haywire. And destruction.
The “entire” laboratory blew up. Hina suppressed that appearance.
(I assume that her special “appearance” was the cause for the explosion but that in the end, she was able to suppress it)

A few years later...

Mechanized planet people invades and the DoDonPachi corps proceeds to fight back, prepared to fight to the death.

However, a person saw.
Someone led the mechanized planet people.
”Why? Why is this??? I won’t allow it… All of you who plundered… I will never forgive you!”

Saya was tasked with the mission to shoot down the enemy boss, ”Hibachi”.

”Master’s enemy is my enemy. I will kill.”

Fate crossed Saya’s and Hina’s paths once again but what will remain in the end..?
Iori Branford

Post by Iori Branford »

The latest Special Demo video revealed that bees can wipe bullets under certain conditions:
http://youtu.be/RrTf3UKGg4s?t=5m20s

What's the minimum combo and/or active hyper level required?
Lowest hyper level I saw it with is Lv 8 at 5:26. (Then, rank is 5 and hyper stock is 0, so it's not those.)
Lowest combo is 4400 hits at 8:37.
Then at 14:20, according to the player, touching a bee with "laser aura" deactivated bullet wiping ability, but at 15:25 he seemed to touch another bee with almost the same part of the laser and it still wiped.
So once minimums are reached, which part of the laser must not touch the bee too much, or at all?
pollysee

Post by pollysee »

I'm fairly sure that the cancel happens whenever you fill your hyper gauge while you already have hyper active. While your hyper is active, you can only get more meter in two ways, aura damage and collecting a bee.

When you're at level 10 hyper, max gauge, and activate, you will be left with level 0 in stock but max gauge. So any amount of aura damage will fill you up to level 1 hyper. This is what happens at 14:20, so he won't be able to get the cancel when he gets the bee.
Iori Branford

Post by Iori Branford »

pollysee wrote:I'm fairly sure that the cancel happens whenever you fill your hyper gauge while you already have hyper active. While your hyper is active, you can only get more meter in two ways, aura damage and collecting a bee.

When you're at level 10 hyper, max gauge, and activate, you will be left with level 0 in stock but max gauge. So any amount of aura damage will fill you up to level 1 hyper. This is what happens at 14:20, so he won't be able to get the cancel when he gets the bee.
Oh. Thanks. I've never topped the meter with an active hyper. (Always dying while hoarding stock + lasering from too far back + activating with too little stock.) Back to basic training...
powerflower

Post by powerflower »

powerflower

Post by powerflower »

Hello, are there some other things to be considered about those glowing aura coins aside from dragging the normal colored ones from the lower part (edit, I was wrong. It seems the distance , all the screen can be used) of the screen to change them into glowing ones? Also the travel distance (when sucking them in) to the ship seems to be another factor too.

Edit: Another question I've read in the original post about the mid-hyper. Does that mean when the hyper gauge is filled by 50% it refillis when lasering in hyper mode? Because it doesn't work for me, even with forcing it to 50% in training mode. Tried it on mid-bosses and all the other enemies, nothing.

I've tested that on AC, 1.5 and Novice.
sojtrash

Post by sojtrash »

Question:

I was watching on youtube a video of Saidaioujou in-game wallpapers being shown off HERE and I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the menu like the youtuber does. I was thinking it could be useful for studying bullet patterns mid-game. :wink:
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Anyone have a strategy for keeping your hyper count up? I'm looking at a replay of Shotia - Laser. The guy gets the hyper count up to 9 after the first stage. After that, he can consistently keep the hyper count above 5+. Not sure what actually gets the count to climb, other than just lasering stuff. Seems like after I hyper, it always drops down to 0. But in this player's case, it just drops down to like...6 or 7.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

finisherr wrote:Anyone have a strategy for keeping your hyper count up? I'm looking at a replay of Shotia - Laser. The guy gets the hyper count up to 9 after the first stage. After that, he can consistently keep the hyper count above 5+. Not sure what actually gets the count to climb, other than just lasering stuff. Seems like after I hyper, it always drops down to 0. But in this player's case, it just drops down to like...6 or 7.
You may be watching a 1.5 replay. Hypers are easier to get in 1.5 than in the original.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

After watching a replay I figured out how to recharge the hyper by sucking in a lot of large stars right as the hyper ends. This element of the game is really addictive, but sort of hard to pull of consistently.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Cleared novice laser again and got a replay this time :D

I have decided it is time to move up to 1.5. Here we go!
My lord, I have come for you.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

I don't know if this was mentioned, but you can select Saya with your Arcade Stick by hitting the back button. Pretty great. Favorite ship type.
Anesthetize

Post by Anesthetize »

Are there any requirements for facing Hibachi and Inbachi in 360 mode? Or do they just always appear?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

They always appear, one after the other.
borislaw

Post by borislaw »

Does anyone know what WIDE MODE in the display settings does. On is the default setting. I've typically been playing with Wide Setting ON, but i've switched it off a few times and can't tell a difference. I am, however, quite new to the game and likewise largely ignorant of the game's intricacies. Something to do with aspect ratio perhaps; I dunno. I am playing on a standard HD tv 1080 whatever. Any morsels that might be thrown my way would be well appreciated. Okay fanatics, keep it real yall.
'twas in times of old / as eagles screamed // and holy streams flowed / from the Heaven-Fells
Mr Halibut

Post by Mr Halibut »

If you're running in tate mode with the 360 set to output 640x480 (480p) it makes a big difference. I guess it has no effect if you're running in 'normal' widescreen HD.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

I'm going to share some things that are helping me clear stage three pretty consistently now.

Right after the first boat, I used to have trouble. Basically, about 3 more boats show up. And if you don't kill then quickly, a whole mess of blue bullets come out of them. This makes it hard to dodge the popcorn enemies flighting in from left and right. Not to mention those weird enemies that sort of appear out of nowhere in top center and rain bullets.

What I do now is stay on the right bottom side of the screen and kill the second boat. There will be bullets that come from the left from that enemy in the middle that spawns out of thin air, but you can stay in a little pocket in the bottom right and survive. Once you take it down, quickly move up and kill the two parallel boats. Then, sweep from left to right to kill the last spawning enemy in the center and the last boat before the mid-boss. This seems to work pretty well. I can do this pretty much every time now without a laser or bomb.

In the stage 3 boss, I have a few strategies that work pretty well. I start by point blanking it on the first wave of enemy fire. Before the bullets that explode with more bullets pop out, I sit around the top left corner and dodge. Fewer bullets can get to you this way. After that, you can pretty much stand still and point black on the top left side of the boss while the second wave of exploding bullets come out. This will typically allow you to bypass the super tough pattern that follows since you've been point blanking so much.

When the tube-like turrets start coming out of the boss, I just use shot instead of laser to kill them (I use Type-A Shot). This way you can kill the all before they even get mid-screen. Not great for score, but if you want to survive (like me) this works pretty well. This reduces the number of bullets you end up having to dodge. For the final pattern, I just dodge as much as I can before applying a laser, which usually puts me in the clear. I would prefer to figure out how the dead spot works, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I've got the first half of stage 4 pretty much dialed in. It's actually very easy once you figure out the safe route. Watch any youtube play of this level. You'll find that you probably do a lot of the same lines if you've cleared this part without getting hit.

I haven't figured out a strategy for the second half of stage 4 just yet. Still kind of a mess for me.

This game is tough as nails, but it's pretty good and super satisfying to restock hypers!
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Does anyone have pointers on that dead spot on the stage 3 boss?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You mean this spot? It's just a matter of getting close enough to it to be within the bullets it fires without getting close enough to collide with the boss. Because of how massive your laser aura is it can be hard to tell where the boss's collision hitbox is exactly, but if you use shot and watch where your missiles connect, that'll give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPRq1vbSPOM&t=10m12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOaoW2nwIzY&t=10m18s
borislaw

Post by borislaw »

Does anyone know about a translation of what is said by the guide girl in the challenge mode videos. The clips themselves are incredibly helpful, and so I also wonder about what is being said--if Lady is dropping some key strategy pointers, then it certainly would be nice to have these morsels translated. If however, she's just spouting generic encouragements and warnings--well then a translation would be entirely useless. Unfortunately, the photo tool on Google Translate has a very difficult time discerning the Japanese characters due to styling of the font.
'twas in times of old / as eagles screamed // and holy streams flowed / from the Heaven-Fells
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

If you're willing to go through the effort you can use the handwriting option in Google Translate and write out the characters yourself, that tends to work a lot better than the photo tool.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
borislaw

Post by borislaw »

dan76 wrote:I've managed to do the hyper refill thing in arcade mode, is anyone else pulling this off? It was tricky, but if I can do it it can't be too difficult - and it's mighty satisfying!

On stage 2, slightly before the midboss there is a bee that appears top right. I've found that hitting a hyper as that bee appears will generally trigger the refill from the midboss. It's like Deathsmiles as you can slightly adjust the damage / speed to make it synchronize.
My ideal hyper spots in 1.5 are as follows

stage 1: No hyper used.

stage 2:
--midboss-- Use a Hyper level 6 (or higher) just as the midboss begins to fire. When the Hyper is close to expiring, move across the screen from left to right, torching the popcorn enemies with SHOT as they enter from the right. Just before the purple aura appears switch to LASER to kill a few more enemies and start attracting the star items. Grab the bee item and perhaps cancel a few more bullets.

--boss-- Arriving at the boss hyper level should be at 9 or 10. Halfway through the second pattern unleash the hyper. This should defeat the bosses' first part before its' most difficult pattern becomes a threat. After defeating the boss, remaining hyper time should be in the range of 25% - 30%.

stage 3.
--beginning-- let some enemies appear, then use a well-timed left to right sweep as hyper expires to refill the hyper gauge
--Midboss--. hyper level 7 or 8 is ideal for the midboss. Use anytime during the first pattern and it should be enough to kill the entire midboss. Just as the midboss is dying I like to use a bomb, mainly for rank control, though it can also be helpful in finishing off the midboss.-
--Boss-- ideally hyper level should be at least 5 when the boss arrives. By the time you use the hyper, however, it needs to be at least level 6. Use your aura to quickly defeat this bosses first form. Get close to him before the first pattern, and return to point-blank as soon as you're clear of its' danger. The second pattern is are like fireworks that explode in circles. Give yourself some space to dodge the first set. Once they've cleared, return to point-blank and remain still during the second set of fireworks--they will not touch you. Hopefully the boss' first form is almost destroyed--either way, use your hyper. With hypers-a-blaze the second and third parts of the boss should be a breeze. Time remaining on your hyper should be in the range of 25% - 40%.

stage 4 --midboss-- If all goes as planned you should approach the midboss with a level 10 hyper. If not don't worry, lvl 2 or 3 is sufficient. This midboss' first pattern can be a bit tough. Dodge the first few bullets with ease, then unleash the hyper as the pattern becomes a threat. Try to destroy the boss before the 4th pattern. Don't bomb during this midboss so that you will receive a 1 up when you defeat it.

--boss--

stage 5: --midboss-- I'll typically use one on the midboss just to survive that ridiculous 4th pattern of his.

stage 5: The bullet canceling enemies, when killed during a Hyper, will turn every bullet on the screen into a large star. Its basically just one hyper after another. With good timing I might produce 4 or 5 hypers, each ranging in level from 2 to 5.
pmp

Post by pmp »

With A-S, does point blanking with the laser still do more damage than shot?
qmish

Post by qmish »

Sorry if I failed to find info, but... could you please explain, what's the thing with bullets in SDOJ?

I mean... while there are blue bullets and pink bullets (for example), there are also blue bullets that have pink outline on the edge. So often I see in one pattern there are (usual) blue bullets combined with those "hybrid" ones.

What's the difference? And how this situation should be used?

edit:

After playing some more, it feels like some of those hybrid bullets can be "erased" with laser. :o
I'm shocked, and tbh it adds more confusion rather than help because it feels more messy to try "pick" needed bullets in the pattern, in comparison to trying just to dodge/move around.
So is it a mechanice you can not progress in game without, or it's an "extra" gimmick?
Also it makes me feel weird that I coudn't find any info on it... be that here on system11, or on cave-stg, or on shmup-wiki, or on cave official website for sdoj (unless i'm idiot or something; also maybe it was discussed somewhere "buried" in long discussions, but i mostly checked guides & OPs).

edit2:

After watching some nice players' videos, I never seen them using it. Omg. So, I now feel super confused. Either this shit doesn't exist (but I just played it and it seemed to be happening! though... when i played with other ship, it felt not working as much), or it does exist, but its not used much by people cause it's too risky/random to use.