ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
CloudyMusic

Re: ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list

Post by CloudyMusic »

As Moozooh mentioned, some of the video links in the ST that point to SDD-Kaede's YouTube channel no longer work. He's re-uploaded some, though:
Both (as well as all of the other videos listed as "unknown player", I believe) are played by SDD-Kaede himself.
EXEXEX wrote:I just downloaded a MAME cheat file in another site, when I was booting Garegga and want to activate cheats there's an option like "Always Have Easiest Rank" "Watch Game rank" etc. Has anyone ever try this? seems like really cool option.
"Watch game rank", at least, is pretty common. some people use a patched romset to show the game rank on the screen, but I usually just use MAME cheats so I can turn them off cleanly when I don't need them around. If you want the overall rank displayed in hex (as it's largely discussed here) rather than decimal, though, I posted a customized cheat file that you can use. I think the default cheat file might not include per-frame rank, which is also good to have access to when you're learning.

And it should go without saying, but if you use things like "always have easiest rank" or other things that directly affect the game, please don't post those scores anywhere. :wink:
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Just want to get this stated one more time for further clarity for anybody playing the game:

If you have trouble controlling rank > only use 10hz prior to Mad Ball 2.

The difference can't really be understated.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Kamui was playing at Matmouse earlier today (already yesterday by Japan's time) and managed a E,977,500 Cannonball non-clear, dying right at the end of milking Glow Squid and missing a potential ~16.3 mil score by a hair. Since this score is higher than anything the vast majority of us have seen up until that point in the game with Silver Sword, grab the VOD while you can (the run starts at about 2:40:00, check the earlier part for a 20 million Gain run). This is her second visit to Matmouse this week—this stream is quickly becoming the best STG stream ever, with regular MFBL, Raiden Fighters 2, DOJ, and now Garegga too!
Eaglet wrote:If you have trouble controlling rank > only use 10hz prior to Mad Ball 2.
I'd say, if one has trouble controlling rank, there's hardly any reason to raise autofire rate until at least deep into stage 6 or so (or at all in case with some ships). :v I mean, there are so many much more lucrative scoring aspects and opportunities to take advantage of before raising autofire rate makes any tangible improvement...

That said, I've managed to make it happen by accident quite a few times. Apparently shooting offscreen at the edge of the screen can inadvertently trigger a higher rate with some ships (e.g. Gain).
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

moozooh wrote:
I'd say, if one has trouble controlling rank, there's hardly any reason to raise autofire rate until at least deep into stage 6 or so (or at all in case with some ships). :v I mean, there are so many much more lucrative scoring aspects and opportunities to take advantage of before raising autofire rate makes any tangible improvement...
You have no idea what you're talking about. Most non-piercing ships can't counter MB2's destructible bullets even with 10hz and autofire makes a huge difference with all ships when it comes to execution and scoring. If you're of another opinion i advise you to try out your tactics and set western records.
moozooh wrote: That said, I've managed to make it happen by accident quite a few times. Apparently shooting offscreen at the edge of the screen can inadvertently trigger a higher rate with some ships (e.g. Gain).
That sounds strange unless you're tapping at the top of the screen (why you'd even do that escapes my understanding though).
Never had that happen with any ship ever. You sure you're not twitching on the shot button?
Image Image
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Just stepping by to second what Eaglet says. Autofire rate is absolutely crucial and neccessary for controlling rank.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Plasmo wrote:Just stepping by to second what Eaglet says. Autofire rate is absolutely crucial and neccessary for controlling rank.
I don't think moozooh was saying it isn't, he was saying not to raise autofire rate until stage 6. With Golden Bat and Miyamoto I don't raise autofire rate until Junkey Monkey, but with some of the weaker ships you may have trouble with Mad Ball 2, as Eaglet said. If you don't mind losing a life and/or expending bombs for survival on Mad Ball 2, though, or if you just get lucky with its patterns, even the weak ships can get through that, albeit suboptimally.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

You probably know this but Miyamoto needs to have 12hz or over to score. If you're just surviving though, like with all ships, keep it low and rank will be baby low.
Image Image
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Shepardus wrote:I don't think moozooh was saying it isn't, he was saying not to raise autofire rate until stage 6. With Golden Bat and Miyamoto I don't raise autofire rate until Junkey Monkey, but with some of the weaker ships you may have trouble with Mad Ball 2, as Eaglet said. If you don't mind losing a life and/or expending bombs for survival on Mad Ball 2, though, or if you just get lucky with its patterns, even the weak ships can get through that, albeit suboptimally.
Exactly. My point is that Eaglet and Plasmo are reaching MB2 at a rank value expected for a fairly optimized scoring route. Such a route takes advantage of numerous opportunities that raise rank a lot relatively to their point gain (boss milking, destroying things with bombs, sealing bullets, picking up extraneous items, etc.). It's no surprise that in such a route, taking on MB2 optimally is impossible at the default autofire rate. But they are also players who are already well-versed in rank control and far beyond the point where only going for the lowest-hanging fruits would be the most efficient near-term scoring strategy for them to set a new PB. So while what Eaglet says makes perfect sense in context of his route, the premise that a far less experienced person would use the same route appears erroneous.

On the other hand, for a person who can't control rank very well, aggravating it to the point where MB2's destructible bullets take too many hits to counter seems extremely counterproductive to begin with. So if that is addressed first, the need to raise autofire that early on will not be as pressing as when you take it on a full-on scoring run. Late stage 6 is where raising autofire rate arguably makes the rest of the game easier regardless of current rank state because the per-frame rank doesn't have enough time to offset the increase in destructive power.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Of course I'm speaking from a perspective of playing the game well (i.e. focused on score).
My remark had to do with the only parts that really require rank control during a scoring run and are hard to get right even with experience and good routes.

Came to the realization that i should stress the importance of AF for rank control when optimizing the flying platforms in stage 5 with Bornnam. You optimally want to bomb them twice for max score and for that to not get super risky the HP of the bombable parts need to be so low that they require 3 or less bomb fragments. Going for an optimized route means having 12hz from the outset or at least from stage 3 boss and onwards which means getting low enough rank for the platforms requires a great deal of management.

Also about "small point gain to rank increase ratio", this is something we argued over several years ago and my stance hasn't changed.
Playing this game for score is based on optimization and if you actually want to get better you need to practice all of the small parts yesterday. That means going for all bombable object, medals etc. even when you're just trying to letter score clear. Not doing that will just do you a disservice and means that you have to redo your routes all of the time.
Aim high and if you fail - learn from your mistakes. The basis of all practice.

Also; MB2s destructible bullets can't be countered with Baron or Grasshopper non piercing with lower than 12hz even if rank is super low.
Image Image
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Well, I don't really see anything inherently bad about occasionally redoing routes—it's part of the progress, especially in games where routes have very complex interactions that pull each other and depend on your ability to execute them (Batrider, Bakraid are good examples—one mistake will not just lower your score potential, but likely make your entire route fall apart). At the same time, players who for various reasons aren't willing to invest a lot of time into the same game but would still like to have a decent clear often tend to get stuck in perpetual attempts of making stars align with a sequence of low-probability events, which may take more time than they would be willing to give to the game. I know this because I tend to improve my scores the very moment I let go of the obsessive need for optimization, which more often than not ends up with my playing sessions being full of restarts in the first 5 minutes of a credit—and I know I'm not unique in that respect. This is all the more obvious in games where optimization comes a long way and makes gameplay immediately harder (pretty much all games where bullet grazing and proximity play a major role in scoring).

I mean, I don't entirely disagree with you. I just believe it mainly depends on whether you have a long-term goal of getting better at e.g. Garegga indefinitely (which I see you and a very few others do), or it is a near-term goal of getting a decent (say, letter) score with characters you like and then moving on to other games (= most of the scoreboard). If it's the former, your approach makes sense. If it's the latter, then I don't think jumping on a pro route from the start is a good advice when about 2/3 of the its score potential in Garegga comes from consistency in survival, medaling, and execution in like three or four particular spots. Though I guess it is a good advice if you want people who don't love Garegga dearly to burn out quicker. :p
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

You're still not getting the point.
It's not about going a pro route because that will be well beyond anyones capabilities in the beginning.
It's about playing the parts of the game that need to be played. With all of the experimentation that entails.
With an attitude like yours a player will never, ever, get good at a game.
You gotta see the game for what it is, what can be done and experiment.

Bombing stuff, collecting medals and trying to destroy stuff with the right shot is the basic game.
Like 101 course A.
Ignoring that is ignoring scoring entirely and utterly retarded if you want anything else than a cheap clear.

Out of curiosity, have you even cleared the game?
Image Image
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

That's right. The first step with Garegga is trying to keep a medal chain going for as long as possible, maybe bomb some buildings to find medals, and try to pick reasonable spots to suicide so you can actually finish the game at all. Since it's early enough, you could learn flamingoes and the first Mad Ball if you really want, but other than that you basically don't have to worry about anything else in the game yet.

That's the "problem" with Garegga, so many people get spooked out of playing it because of fearmongering over the rank, fearmongering over the amount of things you're supposedly expected to do from the second you boot it up. A lot of it just isn't true, you can get a decent score just by collecting medals. There isn't even that much, honestly, and it can all be learned bit by bit if you want. At this point, set-in-stone "routes" are really not what you want to waste your time with.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Oh boy.
Eaglet wrote:It's about playing the parts of the game that need to be played. With all of the experimentation that entails.
You're arguing from a position that suggests some (all?) parts of the game "need" to be played. But who decides which parts those are and why is anything needed? Those who have the higher score, you, me, developers? Why?

For instance, every single non-medal item can be picked up for score. Buildings in stage 1 can be bombed for medals. Do you do any of that? No. Why? Because that's not efficient for reaching your goals. It will make you lose more than you will gain from doing so. It's what efficiency is about. Does it take a superplayer to understand that? No, that's just basic math.
Eaglet wrote:With an attitude like yours a player will never, ever, get good at a game.
A goal as abstract as "getting good at a game" doesn't make much sense to me, unless the process of getting better is the goal in itself (which is absolutely fine). How do I decide the point where I'm "good"? By setting a quantifiable target and reaching it. 1st place on a scoreboard is a target. A letter score is a target. 1CC is a target. "Getting good" is not—because it's unquantifiable. This is a game, you can formulate your goals however you like, and it's not like the paths to those goals are somehow set in stone or at all identical for everyone. But they still have priorities regardless.
Eaglet wrote:You gotta see the game for what it is, what can be done and experiment.
Maybe this has somehow been lost in communication, but I don't see how I've ever pushed a point contrary to this?.. Experimentation is good; it needs to be done, and the results must be incorporated into your knowledge and experience. That's common sense and I don't argue with that.

What I questioned was the priorities you were suggesting for players who aren't yet at your level of play (like myself). Priorities are determined by goals and available resources—both external (time, skill) and internal (bombs, lives). The time required to reach those goals is determined by efficiency in sorting those priorities and managing available resources. If you try to "bomb everything" (like you were suggesting) without a gradual ramp-up, it will take more time to reach the same result—you'd constantly find yourself out of bombs when you need them. If you experiment without making sense of long-term scoring consequences, it will take more time to reach the same result—you'd just be brute-forcing solutions instead of developing them from the basis of knowledge and calculation. If you use up your resources on small gains and force yourself to forgo larger ones in return, it will take more time to reach the same result—you'd just grind a lot, risking a burnout. Do we disagree on this? Because that's what I've been trying to address. Yet the agitation in your responses makes me think you have misconstrued my suggestions as an attack on your system of values with regards to goal-setting, attitudes, deciding on "proper" ways of playing games, and who knows what else. In fact I don't even care about your system of values, I just accept it as is without judgment, which is what I expect you to do in return.

If you were to separate the scoring system into distinct parts, some would inevitably be more efficient and should thus receive higher priority if your real-life resources are limited. For instance, if a player can't yet clear the game because it becomes too hard for them, why would they consider, say, milking bosses in st1, st3, st4, st6, etc.? This would only serve to compromise higher-priority scoring opportunities for no net gain over the course of the run—because they don't have the resources to counteract the increase in difficulty. Why would anyone aiming for a decent score want that? How long would they have to "experiment" to come to a conclusion that it's not worth it at this point? Why not attack this problem from the standpoint of "I need this and this to safely get through this part. I can spare resources here and there to improve score, and potentially in this other place if everything goes well. This thing should be avoided until I handle such and such better"? It has certainly worked for me in the past—much better than winging it and/or setting goals unrealistic at the time—which is why I'm suggesting it. Other things have worked for you. Cool, I don't mind.
Eaglet wrote:Bombing stuff, collecting medals and trying to destroy stuff with the right shot is the basic game.
Like 101 course A.
So you destroy those st1 rail buildings with bombs on your runs, right? And you probably make sure to destroy every single destructible background with bombs in other stages, with every ship, too? Oh no, of course you don't, and neither does anyone else with a good score. I wonder why is that. I guess it's explained somewhere in 101 course B, under "inexplicable exceptions", and certainly not anywhere near the "math and probability" section. :v
Eaglet wrote:Ignoring that is ignoring scoring entirely and utterly retarded if you want anything else than a cheap clear.
I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but this statement sure sounds suspiciously close to "I get to choose what's right and wrong because reasons" (which is not retarded at all), and even goes contrary to the suggestion to experiment, made earlier in the same post. So what's up with that? Is resource management—a concept where you forgo something to gain something better—completely lost on you, or are you confused about the points both of us are making? Why is it, for example, "retarded" to avoid bombing any background objects unless necessary, but not at all retarded to bomb every single one in every stage—just because you can? Could it be—bear with me for a second—that some things that can be done and are even immediately lucrative can be counterproductive to scoring over the entire course of the game? That's such a wild suggestion, but on the off-chance that I'm correct, why, again, do you get to judge those looking to maximize their efficiency with regards to goals they have set in the ways they have chosen, when it's something you're already employing on a near-subconscious level when playing the game yourself?

Again, I'm not suggesting to ignore everything other than the select few aspects, which you seem to be arguing against. I'm suggesting to prioritize the aspects with efficiency in mind, and ramp things up gradually. If you have the resources, incorporate harder things into your route. If you don't, focus on the more efficient ones and figure out how to proceed from there. Is that clear? Is this approach at least worth considering? (Validate me, senpai.)
Eaglet wrote:Out of curiosity, have you even cleared the game?
If you want a binary answer, no, I haven't (not in a continuous 1CC, anyway). Be sure to make full use of the privilege to judge my choices and opinions due to having spent more time with the game compared to myself.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

:lol:
Image Image
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Eaglet wrote:the importance of AF for rank control when optimizing the flying platforms in stage 5 with Bornnam. You optimally want to bomb them twice for max score and for that to not get super risky the HP of the bombable parts need to be so low that they require 3 or less bomb fragments. Going for an optimized route means having 12hz from the outset or at least from stage 3 boss and onwards which means getting low enough rank for the platforms requires a great deal of management
this is the point where the player decides to play a cave game instead
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Bananamatic wrote:
Eaglet wrote:the importance of AF for rank control when optimizing the flying platforms in stage 5 with Bornnam. You optimally want to bomb them twice for max score and for that to not get super risky the HP of the bombable parts need to be so low that they require 3 or less bomb fragments. Going for an optimized route means having 12hz from the outset or at least from stage 3 boss and onwards which means getting low enough rank for the platforms requires a great deal of management
this is the point where the player decides to play a Psikyo game instead
FTFY
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Here's an average Kamui run with the rankgraph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuUH28EYsWE
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

So I came across a replay on Nico this morning showing a hidden max-rank mode in Premium Arrange. Reposting the details from the discussion thread here so it doesn't get lost.
Icarus wrote:http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30239703

So Garegga Premium Arrange might be more interesting than I previously thought. There's a hidden system in the game that causes:

- rank to suddenly skyrocket to 100%,
- your score to continually tick up like Dodonpachi's MAXIMUM bomb bonus,
- medals to be attracted to your ship from anywhere, regardless of distance,
- score extends to become active again and at 1mil every.

Currently it's unknown how to return to normal rank-fixed mode, but it seems like you can drop back to normal mode under specific conditions, and retrigger rank max mode again, so it might be possible to manipulate this for scoring purposes without endangering your credit.

As for the trigger itself, it's theorised that to actually jump into rank max mode for the first time and set the trigger for later, you have to max out your medals before the end of stage one.
Zakk has done a little digging and has found the primary activation trigger to be 2k medals and no-miss before the start of stage 2. Autobombing apparently returns you to normal mode after that. Full details haven't been disclosed yet, so this is what we know so far.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

An update to the Premium Arrange, maximum rank mode conditions and notes:

What we think are the triggers (some combination of these before the end of stage 1)
• at least 2,000pt medals *
• no miss *
• no autobomb
• no medals dropped

What definitely is not a part of the conditions
• 100% boss part destruction
• Boss time remaining
• 100% in-stage enemy destruction
• 100% item collection
• Current score

What deactivates max rank mode
• Autobombing (this will deactivate max rank mode anywhere it happens)
• Dying on a boss (this will deactivate max rank mode for the next stage even if it's still active when you kill the boss: https://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw/v/108403588?t=35m05s)

What max rank mode changes
• Medal magnet range is the full screen now, and affects both ground and air medals
• Rank (obviously) climbs up to 100%
• Score ticks up constantly throughout the stage
• Item drop order is changed if you're at max Shot power or max Options - the game will ignore whatever you're at max with, and will drop a Medal in its place. Also, the item drop order is greatly accelerated, and feels like every two enemies destroyed drops an item instead of every five. This results in a gigantic rain of Medals that lock in to your position.
• Floods of enemies in certain spots in the stages - combined with the altered and accelerated drop order, can contribute millions more points than usual
• Bosses are worth far more in max rank mode than not - in normal mode, all enemy values are the same as in Arcade, but in max rank mode, bosses have at least 150k more value (eg NL2 is 100k in AC, 300k in max rank mode, GS is 300k/450k) *

Reactivation requirements
• No-missing the boss (see: deactivation requirements, seems to match up)
• (Possible) Time or Attack Cycles remaining requirement
• Autobombing during the stage or boss is okay, but you absolutely must not die to the boss to reactivate max rank mode.

NOTES:
• In Cloud (stage 5), the whole of the boss rush is considered a "boss" for the reactivation requirements, so to reactivate max rank mode for stage 6, you MUST no-miss NL2, MB2, Slayer and BH in one go.

1st full stream archive (6hrs): https://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw/v/108182472
Premium Arrange ALL, 19.37mil, Gain (ABC): https://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw/v/108189596
Premium Arrange ALL, 20,48mil, Gain (ABC): https://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw/v/108192922
2nd full stream archive (4hrs): https://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw/v/108403588
Premium Arrange ALL, 20.86mil, Gain (ABC): https://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw/v/108405914
zakk

Post by zakk »

I'm here again to mess with all our theories.

I just played a credit, highlights/wtf:

Lost max mode in stage 2 via auto-bomb. I missed the tank 1-up. One auto-bomb on Earth Crisis, no deaths. Max mode NOT restored in stage 3.

Stage 3: one death+massive medal drop. No auto-bomb, no miss MB: max mode restored in stage 4.

Stage 4: lost max about midway through the stage. No deaths on SS, one auto-bomb during rails. Max mode restored in stage 5.

Stage 5: lost max mode via auto-bomb on NL2. Verified I lost it because no medal vacuum on BH.

BH fight: 2x auto-bomb and one death. Max mode restored in stage 6.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

glad to see you guys are laying this out. I haven't been able to trigger max mode without 10k medals on stage 1.

this might sound dumb, but by no medals dropped are you guys referring to actually losing medals off of the screen? or if a 1k medal generates at the same time as a 2k medal and I pick up the 2k medal before the 1k would the count as dropped?

just trying to figure out why it isn't triggering for me under 10k despite no missing no autobombing.

only made it as far as stage 5 with triggering max mode in stages 2 through 5 before I gave up for the night.
a creature... half solid half gas
Glick

Post by Glick »

This is probably super scrub-tier, but how do people manage Miyamoto's speed? Currently using a stick (with a square gate, not that it really matters for this), and I'm finding the smallest movements I can get him to execute are still dangerously large. Do you just get used to this over time, or do I need to git gud?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Yes it's largely a matter of practice and getting used to it. At first I had trouble with Miyamoto too but now it's the only one I can play competently. I recommend trying to macro-dodge patterns as much as possible and minimize micro-dodging. With Miyamoto's speed you can bypass many patterns entirely instead of dodging between bullets, and you can dash from side to side to misdirect certain patterns such as the tanks near the end of stage 4.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

triggered autobomb, got 10k medals, still rank max stage 2. I think getting 10k at least overrides the no autobomb criteria. good news is had my best arrange run at c028430. then I see icarus's q run..

edit: autobombed last night with 9k medals and still triggered.
a creature... half solid half gas
chempop

Post by chempop »

Just started to figure out this Max mode stuff today, it is very fun!
I got a decent F.9 clear on my first go, not bad I think.
Feeling like 7000 is the magic number for st1 medal to trigger it.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Been playing the game with Miyamoto-C and ended up loving it, any advice or tips with this one?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Feel free to power up your shot until you reach one below maximum - that's the power level at which the shot first becomes wider, but not as wide as it is at maximum. The rank increase per shot is the same as it is at minimum power. If you want to control the rank increase from firing, do so by skipping options. Miyamoto's options are very powerful, but they also add more to rank per shot than any others except Gain's. I typically stick with two options for most of the early and mid game, only getting four options for milking the stage 1 and 3 bosses and also from stage 6 onwards. Miyamoto can actually get away without much rank control at all - it's most important for determining how much health Black Heart mk.II has and how dense Glow Squid's patterns are.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

For scoring rank control is actually the most important for stage 5 flying platforms and Mad Ball 2 bombing.
This is all stuff that we'll go over on the Garegga stream in a couple of hours so make sure to tune in! :)
Image Image
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Thanks for the guide all! Also I have see Shep's Miyamoto replay in YT and he enabled autofire before facing Junkey Monkey, is it okay to change the fire rate to 10hz from Nose Laughin Mk2 onwards?
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

You should honestly use at least 10hz from the start of the game with all ships. :)
For Miyamoto to score well he needs to up it to at least 12hz for all of the tic point parts of the game though.
If you're very keen on keeping rank super low though i'd say have it at 10hz until right before Nose Laughin 2 where you raise to 12.
Image Image