Mega Man 11

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sumez

Mega Man 11

Post by Sumez »

We already have: Mega Miscellanies
And: Did YOU play the terrible Mega Man 11 demo where a button will make you win the entire game and therefore it sucks?
Get ready for: The thread about the actual game

The game is released today. And stupid as I am I ordered the physical version from across the ocean (since the Switch version isn't available here), so it will most likely be a few weeks before I get the game.

Casual scrubs seem to love it. A metascore of 80+ is higher than I would have expected for this game, and massively higher than Mighty no. 9's reception:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... -11?ref=hp

I didn't want to read too much, but I skimmed a few reviews and saw highlights such as "the game is a little short lasting only 8 hours" and "the double gear system is the best addition in a mega man game ever" :| :| :|
ryu

Re: Mega Man 11

Post by ryu »

I wasn't a fan of the demo and preordered the game anyways. In japan it's coming out on the 4th, god knows why.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Casual scrubs seem to love it. A metascore of 80+ is [...] massively higher than Mighty no. 9's reception
Casuls gonna casul :(
JBC

Post by JBC »

Been playing MM for about 31 years now. I've played all of them & have beaten most of them.

That said, I got it last night and it's pretty great. It's a Mega Man game.
Godzilla was an inside job
Austin

Post by Austin »

I watched quite a few streams on it tonight and it looks pretty legit. I'll be picking up a copy for myself.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

8BA wrote:Been playing MM for about 31 years now. I've played all of them & have beaten most of them.

That said, I got it last night and it's pretty great. It's a Mega Man game.
I like to hear this.
So now that the full game is here, I hope someone can help answer the lingering question. Does the game do anything to reward/encourage not using the gear powers?
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBC

Post by JBC »

But did u win the game tho
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Yeah the shop does break the game. But if you’re a veteran Mega-man player, you should be playing on Superhero difficulty. As far as I can tell, there are far less Screws (currency) to pick-up, making it a lot harder to just purchase your way through the game with upgrades.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Cagar wrote:
opt2not wrote:Yeah the shop does break the game. But if you’re a veteran Mega-man player, you should be playing on Superhero difficulty. As far as I can tell, there are far less Screws (currency) to pick-up, making it a lot harder to just purchase your way through the game with upgrades.
That's opposite, you actually get more screws on superhero.
Sure, there are less pick ups in the levels, but enemies actually drop more screws. As far as my tests went, you get like 3x the amount of screws on superhero difficulty compared to normal.
Really? That's weird, I wasn't getting nearly as much drops as I was in normal. I'll have to keep an eye on that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

In a world where Cuphead gets damning reviews on Polygon etc for being 'inaccessible'...
looool
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Marc

Post by Marc »

From the outside looking in, Mega Man fans seem to me to be one fan group that will never be happy with any attempts to bring the game back, no matter how it turns out. I'd put this one to bed if I were Capcom.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's not really a series that needs to be brought back, but on the other hand it is also such a classic character that it's sad to see just die.

If they wanted to make a new great Mega Man game that everyone can agree on, they just need to make one in the style of Mega Man 3-6 but with slightly prettier graphics. No new stupid powers that win the game for you or currency that you can grind for.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

They did put it to bed for a decent while, there's too much of a following for that to last forever, and money talks.. if this one sells there will be more whether or not it's the "right" choice.

I don't love the series but it's too significant for me to ignore when the right price comes along. I was just glad to see they finally worked in a reasonably modern approach to the graphics, without making it unidentifiable or trying to go 3D again, etc. The downloadable boom concentrated far too long on 8-bit level graphics, and the earlier retro MMs were a big part of that problem. Retro is great but I was astounded by how much NES-looking stuff got churned out. Where's the love for 16-bit and beyond, with the relatively unlimited power we now have to work with?
Austin

Post by Austin »

I picked this up yesterday and made it up to the second Wily boss on Superhero. I think it's pretty solid overall and have quite enjoyed it. The visuals actually work really well to recapture that old cartoonish look, the gameplay is fast and there are quite a few tricky sections that caught me off guard. The boss fights (including the mini bosses) are probably the highlight. They generally move quick and it took me a while to get the hang of a few of them.

To those complaining that the shop is broken or the gear abilities kill the game, here's a wild idea: Don't use them. It's not like previous Mega Man games haven't required some level of player restraint in order to get the greatest amount of challenge out of the game.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Austin wrote: To those complaining that the shop is broken or the gear abilities kill the game, here's a wild idea: Don't use them.
You must be new here :P
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Just ignore him :P
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Been playing this a lot, last night I finished a buster only, no damage/gears/upgrade run of every boss. I'm not sure I'd rate this game above 9, 3, or 2 as those perfectly capture what "Mega Man" is imo, but the quality of the game is in the same league. 11 probably has the best boss fights in the series, and I'm almost certain it has the best Wily.

That being said, Superhero mode is a little disappointing. I was hoping it would have remixed stage design, but it's all the same minus healing items and stuff. It practically encourages you to use the shop too, but I think it would have been much better if they kept all the energy items, E-tanks, 1ups, etc. in the stages and completely disabled the shop and Gears systems. Oh well. I like how they upgraded all of the boss patterns though.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Just bought it and I'm really satisfied. Took me forever just to beat that first stage, the Block Man. Feels old school.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

iconoclast wrote:Been playing this a lot, last night I finished a buster only, no damage/gears/upgrade run of every boss.
Incredible watch, thanks for that. Are the stages all doable without the use of gears or upgrades too? If so, then it strikes me that Mega Man 11 is pretty much the classic series design given a massive coat of polish, running in a 3D engine, with gears and shop added on.The shop is a staple from the earlier games where I think it first appeared in the Game Boy releases, where it is meant to be there for players who have trouble with the game, and isn't needed at all to actually play the game. The gears add the feeling of "fresh" mechanics to newbies, while they and the shop pretty much play the same role as the healing items in Bayonetta - experts will play through the game with them once and then disregard them on subsequent playthroughs, wanting to play the game as per the "classic" series.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Are the stages all doable without the use of gears or upgrades too?
Yeah, some parts can be pretty hard without slowdown but it's all doable without the gears. I think they were a good idea on Capcom's part, actually. It allowed them to make the game as hard as they wanted, because people would always have an assist to help them through sections they find too difficult. If you don't need it, you never have to use it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I liked the demo, so I went ahead and bought the full game. Enjoying it so far. Perplexed with Capcom calling Rock "Mega Man" as of late. They should have just kept his unsuited name as Rock.
kitten

Post by kitten »

i pre-ordered the amiibo version like 5 fucking months ago and because my card was temporarily shut down and pending me getting a new one at the bank (someone tried to do a preauth scam and i had to shut it down) gamestop canned the preorder and then said there is no way to resinstate it and that i'm fucked.

fucking cool

god, i hated i had to order something from them in the first place, and then just... eurgghhh

gonna have to cough up an extra twenty if i want it from ebay... or maybe i'll just get the rockman 11 version off play-asia or something. sigh. siiiigh. ah well, i'll get around to playing it eventually, though i doubt my opinion is going to change much from the demo
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Just get it without the Amiibo...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Marc wrote:From the outside looking in, Mega Man fans seem to me to be one fan group that will never be happy with any attempts to bring the game back, no matter how it turns out. I'd put this one to bed if I were Capcom.
Mega Man is a series that has always confused me a bit.
If you look at the NES games, they almost all look identical. And other than 2 and 3, which are considered classics, people act like the other ones are either "OK" or "suck".
Then you have the X series. Where X1 is...well, I think it's better than MM 2, minus the soundtrack....and X2 is pretty darn good, but a step down....then you just have mixed to bad reviews of about every other X game.

So, you have a series where they really knocked it out of the part like 3 or 4 times, and all the other games people fight about. That, and MANY of them look almost the same.
Mm...I forgot about 9 and 10, which people seem to like. I didn't like 9. Maybe I should revisit it. I was irritated by the insane amount of spikes.

Somehow this series has a frothing fanbase, that never seem happy with anything they get. I dunno...lol... Sonic, anyone? The last Sonic game people liked, was a remix of the old games, with a few stages added in. :lol:

I haven't had time to really play 11, as I'm swamped with RPGs. The game looks a little cheaper, than I first thought. But it still looks better than the mock ups of Mighty No. 9, that people were jizzing their pants over. I like the slow down stuff, as it reminds me of Clover or Platinum games. Whether it breaks the game, I have yet to see.
The biggest disappointment seems to be the forgettable soundtrack.
It does seem nice and challenging though, which is HIGHLY important.

But I'll dive into it...might be a while. I'm swamped.
kitten

Post by kitten »

Strider77 wrote:Just get it without the Amiibo...
o yea like my brain will just suddenly start working after all these years and i'll be able to just buy a game when i could get the game with a cool toy (of a redesign i don't like)

what do u think i am, functional!?? Image

ah, heck, really though, do i even need the game at all given how much i'm expecting to dislike it? is it worth the time, money, and investment just to keep my frame of reference up to date? can i let the damn series go when it's already nothing but this corpse pulled by puppet strings, to me? there is this pressure i put on myself to keep going that is killing with me with a lot more than just rockman, but this instance feels particularly emblematic given how rockman was my favorite series for many years and definitely the one i've been most invested in over the course of my life.

i kind of wish GRIN had gotten to do the super weird rockman x fps they were making and that future incarnations of the series (if there should be any at all) could be full reinterpretations that kept little parts of the spirit. when they made shooting star rockman, i didn't buy it because it wasn't interesting to me. it was an entirely different thing somewhat obviously trying to cash in on the lucrative kids-who-play-pokemon market and a successor to rockman.exe - something else i barely liked. but this? man, it's trying to wear the face in such a way to get all the old fans back in and is very obviously a completely transparent attempt on capcom's part to court all the spurned mighty no 9 fans they saw waving those dollar bills around.

a lot of times i am incredibly grateful that games i adore like shatterhand got to be little one-offs, and the reason why is because this dance is never going to happen for them. i occasionally count myself lucky that my favorite game - gimmick - was a financial failure, because that meant it got to be a contained and isolated thing (barring trip world, a spiritual semi-sequel which was also great and also flunked in the market).

forgetting the mountain of criticism i'd already brought up just from my strong dislike of the demo and pretending that somehow i turn completely around on the game and like it, is there any way that we - as a society - can just collectively agree that remakes, revivals, and general grabs at nostalgic properties need to stop? i'm culpable here, too, please don't believe for a second that i don't think i'm a sucker (i have completely abandoned public social media and at least have the tiniest smidgen of gumption to stick to my ideals and stop promoting discourse, though). but, eugh, i get dragged back in because i always see a lot of other people getting dragged back in and feel that toxic urge to stay relevant over what i actually want to do.

rockman is more than thirty years old and the series' creator hasn't even been able to be involved since quitting midway through the third game back in 1990. fans all have unique interpretations of it at this point especially because it was a pretty visually abstracted game on a now-antique console. can't we just let it live on in our hearts? after all this time, can we allow ourselves ownership over our interpretations of these ancient series we bonded with? the old games are still there and still frankly worth discussing, i really don't think we need the license holder to assemble an entirely new team and tell us what the property is or isn't, anymore.

maybe i'd be more forgiving if this was something like the assault suits leynos remake, which was made by a group who were obviously superfans of the assault suits series and had already made their own game in the same vein. a group who i assume came out of the blue and asked to do the project rather than being assembled by the license holder after realizing there's a huge money-making opportunity. you know, something made by people who have deeply cared for years and were itching to put their heart & souls into it. i feel like the entire reason gaming was ever good is because a bunch of salarymen had their hearts stoked on fire to be at the forefront of this evolving culture no matter how shitty their lives & work environments were, but that era is long gone and everything feels like either the corporate structure or manipulate trends won out.

at the end of the day i need to just give myself permission to ignore something, though. no amount of discourse about how fettered gaming has become as a medium is going to change the state of the medium. breaks my fucking heart that a group like dracue dies making an excellent homage to what they loved while stuff like rockman 11 - a game produced by one of the most compromised and heinous ghosts of gaming past only a step or two away from what konami has become - receives critical acclaim and incredible attention. man, this game wouldn't even exist if the now-infamous huckster and friend-betraying producer inafune hadn't dug into everyone's wallets by pulling on their heartstrings. even if i agreed that what came out of this was good, geez louise is it depressing that it's only here because something even worse than him saw opportunity in his failure.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
JBC

Post by JBC »

... You're overthinking it.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Marc wrote: The biggest disappointment seems to be the forgettable soundtrack.
I liked it