shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:09 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Late realizations
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:57 pm 

Today I learned the garbage compactor monster from Star Wars was actually a kidnapped Force priestess named Omi, who only wanted to baptise Luke per the tradition of her people, having recognised him as potent in the ways of The Force. You thought it was some feral squid-beast subsisting on the sewage of the Death Star, didn't you? LMAO!

Image #killallmice #fuckmickey #mickeygrabbedmybutt

Hang on, now you know too. I'm sorry. Image To make up for it, I will suggest the Vader Down miniseries! It's good ol' swashbuckling space fantasy, I thought so anyway. Dr. Aphra's a fun and interesting deuteragonist. Vader pulls off some impressive but not inane stuff. The original cast aren't shat upon (it takes place between SW and Empire, and was published back before Luke's mysterious destiny turned out to be "deserter coward betrayer"). I'd watch a movie of it!

Spoiler: show

Maybe it's godawful fanfiction to hardcore SW geeks. Oh well. :sad: I bet they hate that lousy space squid book too.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:58 pm 

What was the point of throwing out all the old stupid shit if they were going to introduce their own stupid shit anyway?

"We noticed that fans hated the dumb books about Darth Vader's Sith amulet and saving space whales, so here's an ugly 3d animated television series with rejected concept art and saving space whales." :roll:
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:00 am 

BIL wrote:
Today I learned the garbage compactor monster from Star Wars was actually a kidnapped Force priestess named Omi, who only wanted to baptise Luke per the tradition of her people, having recognised him as potent in the ways of The Force. You thought it was some feral squid-beast subsisting on the sewage of the Death Star, didn't you? LMAO!

...man, I thought you were just screwing with me, and unfortunately, I looked it up.
Apparently this is actually a fucking thing.

What the hell.
who writes this

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:37 pm 

Everything's got a story now, like that little bat fuck that gets the blood drink for like half a second. I'm sure the first Dewback they show also has a story how it was hand-raised by X character and then adopted by X sandtrooper. It's good when you don't get to use your imagination! More time to CONSUME.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:05 pm 

Ugh, there seems to be this western obsession with fanfic-style writing where every single thing has to be given some kind of deep, meaningful explanation. Sometimes weird stuff happens, and it is what it is.

The mystery of Darth Vader was ruined when they attempted to flesh out the character's backstory when really, they didn't need to. In creating a backstory, one that was atrociously written and presented, they forever ruined the mystique of the character. But you can't cash in on imagination!

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:40 pm 

null1024 wrote:
...man, I thought you were just screwing with me, and unfortunately, I looked it up.

Same! :lol: Truly beyond parody. It reminded me of Mischief Maker's The Shining Alpha Zero

Here's my backstory for Alleyway Bum from The Terminator, or to give him his proper name, WINSTON STANLEY.

Winston was an MIT grad working for the Pentagon's AI weapons division in the early 1970s. Blessed with unrivaled genius, and keenly aware of the danger posed by artificial intelligence... but cursed with violent IBS! A nascent Skynet, seeing Winston's cautionary writings and ingenious cognitive failsafes, scans his medical records. In a year-long chain of product tampering, it ensures his coffee will be laced with horse laxative on the most critical day of his young career. Having explosively shat himself all over Betty Ford, Winston loses a key promotion and turns to booze, his warnings of machine-led genocide now less-indulged by his arrogant superiors. A tragic downward spiral leads us to that fateful alleyway in the early hours of May 13th, 1984.

Somewhere in time, a naked Kyle Reese roots through the darkness in search of pants. He will find them, on the person of one WINSTON STANLEY - Skynet's first victim, and its first nemesis!

Jimmy: call me. I'll option you TERMINATOR: THE PANTS-SHITTING MACHINE for free, provided you keep insulting Timmy on twitter. Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:57 am 

BIL wrote:
I only just realised (was flat-out told, actually!) that David Patrick Kelly played both Jerry Horne from Twin Peaks, and the WARRIORS, COME OUT TO PLAY-EEE dude from The Warriors!

I myself realized that Windows from The Thing and Fox from The Warriors are also played by the same actor just recently. It may had been mentioned in a "where are they now" video I was watching. Not sure which is a worse way to go: getting burned to death or run over by a train (well, that was some cheap double in a bad wig, but still).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:26 am 

Jonny2x4 wrote:
I myself realized that Windows from The Thing and Fox from The Warriors are also played by the same actor just recently.

God damn! :shock: I remember hearing this in RedLetterMedia's Re-View episode of The Warriors (or was it The Thing?), but I must've subconsciously filed it away. Another "how'd I miss that?!" for sure. He even occupies very similar positions in their respective stories, as the hapless "kid brother" type who meets a sudden gruesome end.

Crazy how facial hair can age some guys up (Jonathan Frakes / Riker comes to mind).

Quote:
Not sure which is a worse way to go: getting burned to death or run over by a train (well, that was some cheap double in a bad wig, but still).

Both are horrific, but given Windows' extended mauling and probable infestation by The Thing, on top of being immolated, I'd go with the train. I'd stand up and try to make it hit me as cleanly as possible for the big KO, don't wanna go under the wheels. Kinda like Bill Burr talking about doing a diving header into the shark's mouth at the end of Jaws. :lol: Then again poor Fox pretty much got chucked under it, sheeit. Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:42 am 

BIL wrote:
He even occupies very similar positions in their respective stories, as the hapless "kid brother" type who meets a sudden gruesome end.

Fox was actually the protagonist in the original script for The Warriors (hence why he's the one who witness Luther shooting Cyrus), as well as Mercy's love interest, but the director thought she had better chemistry with Swan and rewrote the story on the fly, so the actor ended up quitting the movie in protest. That's why in the scene when they killed him off, they had to use a (rather obvious) body double.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:03 am 

Jeeze, interesting... I'd never have guessed any of that. Must've sucked for the actor, but I think they made the right call on Swan. It's a very comic-booky movie as it is, so I liked that the protagonist was a relatively subdued type. He had a couple great lines.

"I just hate seeing anything go to waste." Aww. Image

"Yeah, I guess we could run a train on ya." Smooth! :shock:

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:59 pm 

If you see the sky in Metal Slug 1's mission 3 after you fight Allen, tiny Dai-Manji can be seen flying on-screen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:13 pm 

What the hell.

I'd say you were shitting me, but then I found this thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... nd-rooster
I haven't been able to find any decent footage of it, but I think it might be the white smudge moving across the screen around here? https://youtu.be/eCJ44ZX53y8?t=101

EDIT: Seems several of the comments in that video are about that UFO, too :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 pm 

I was surprised to hear about that too! I've never seen it myself but I can totally believe it, given the insane detailing of those games... MS1 in particular.

Was a little bittersweet to learn recently that the fish thingy seen at the very end of Metal Slug 3 was going to be the next game's antagonist force. I thought it was just a hapless sea creature that got bonked on the head by Fio's revolver.

Was recently discussing the pastiche of all pastiches MS4 with a friend, who reminded me that its return to relatively mundane army battling was actually a stark change of pace after the rising insane fury of X and 3. It made me appreciate 4's lack of scale a bit more, although I'll always wonder how Nazca/SNK planned on topping the MSX/3 arc, or if they even intended on trying.

Sumez wrote:
I'd say you were shitting me, but then I found this thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... nd-rooster

Nice little read, that thread. :mrgreen:

Typing on fumes, I was compelled to look up this auld classic. Not N-G.com but close! SUPER ACTION SCAMMER ALERT

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:09 pm 

The human fish thing was indeed scared the hell out of me as childhood, just like how Shin Contra's buttface shows up right in the player's face.

Next game's antagonist force? You mean MS6? Because MS6 takes place after 3 though.

I honestly don't get the hate of MS4
sure it doesn't have new sprite and such making it like licensed MS romhack
but level design and enemy placement is tightly paced and perhaps better than previous games
For example previous MS levels only gets really hard on final mission, but 4's early stages is full of deadly corners and dangerous encounters
and I agree that MS4 is perhaps callback of MS1 sans mission 4, that one still have zombies and mummies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:15 pm 

I thought the fish monster was kinda cute, all " -o- " like it'd just woken up - certainly didn't think it was meant to be an enemy. :lol: If anything I thought it was an anti-pollution message to go with the traditional "Peace Forever!"

Actually the "just woke up" thing is horrifying, never mind. :shock: I wonder if Nazca would've gone with some kind of Atlantean super-technology, with the Rebels throwing their lot in with the enemy (again) to cover the conventional military angle.

Or maybe a new human antagonist group. I'd like to think the sacrifices of MS3's ALL ABOUT LOVE weren't in vain. ;-;

It's something I wonder about, having recently gotten back into the Nazca/SNK trilogy. Whether the shift from 100% army to more and more weird shit was a good idea is debatable, but regardless, the sheer effort they put into never rehashing themselves was formidable. I particularly like how feral MS3's opening stage is, god-awful mutated shit all over the place. In a less self-aware game it'd be some b-horror flick stuff.

As blasphemous as it sounds, MS4 was actually the first one I played in-depth, due to its PS2 conversion getting a surprise NTSCU release (albeit double-packed with MS5). Going back to the Nazca/SNK trilogy, I was on one hand stunned at the boost in artistic quality (there was no replacing those guys), but also surprised at how mild their difficulty curves are compared to MS4, which unmistakably wants you dead by the second boss. So I've always liked the fourth game as "licensed ROMhack / Hardtype" affair.

To be honest, these days it's kinda fun spotting where they stitched everything together from. :mrgreen: My favourite is the Panther Slug, aka one of the hundred-odd slavering mutants burnt alive in MSX's subway!

It's a little vague (second-hand descriptions of interviews, AFAIK), but here's where I read about MS4's planned fishmen antagonists. Lots of interesting stuff hinted at there, I've meant to investigate properly.

Online Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12