Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
FinalBaton

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by FinalBaton »

CyberAngel wrote:I do use programs where it's pretty handy myself, but even the chance of misclicking and scrolling the wheel instead is something that makes it feel like bad hardware design. Was it too much to just put a third button near it as well?
Fair enough complaint! indeed they could have put a 3rd button on there
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Just thought of another one: people who watch the Star Wars movies in "chronological order".

Has there ever been an instance of a writer releasing a prequel to a previous work and telling people to experience it first? Or is it all just fan wankery by people who pride themselves on remembering that X takes place before Y? How many prequel works even exist that don't give away massive spoilers if read or seen first?
Chronological by film release or chronological in-universe?

Spoiling the plot in Star Wars is a non-issue though, unless you're presenting a newly-discovered Amazon tribe with a recommended viewing order.

Once you've watched them all and care enough to watch them again, chronological in-universe makes narrative sense to me. My mild OCD is definitely not okay with episodes I-III after IV-VI on my shelf either!
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

You should not watch the Star Wars Prequels in chronological order because they rely heavily on knowledge of the OT. For example, the "how uncivilized!" laugh line means nothing to a first-time viewer. In fact, how on Earth would anyone starting fresh from Phantom Menace have any clue what the Obi Wan and Qui Gon are babbling about while they drink tea in the waiting room scene?

Or better yet, don't waste your time watching terrible terrible, dead-horse-whipping obvious cash-in movies and look for some original IP. Have you seen The Expanse yet?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

WelshMegalodon wrote:How many prequel works even exist that don't give away massive spoilers if read or seen first?
I think only Panzer Dragoon Zwei fills that criteria.
BIL wrote:He dead now, AFAIK. See you (hopefully never) space fatboi. ImageImage
Good. I sincerely hope it was intestinal blockage or fecal sepsis, and that he enjoys getting his ass wiped with kevlar spike-studded acidic toilet paper in hell.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Chronological by film release or chronological in-universe?

Spoiling the plot in Star Wars is a non-issue though, unless you're presenting a newly-discovered Amazon tribe with a recommended viewing order.

Once you've watched them all and care enough to watch them again, chronological in-universe makes narrative sense to me. My mild OCD is definitely not okay with episodes I-III after IV-VI on my shelf either!
Spoilers aside, I think we can all agree that The Phantom Menace is a terrible introduction to Star Wars. Especially when it's followed up by the other two prequels, the Disney side stories, and the Clone Wars movie so awful that not even Clone Wars fans talk about it. How is any newcomer supposed to get to "Han shot first" and "I am your father" in any reasonable amount of time with six feature-length movies and two multi-season animated series ahead of them? (And that's just with the current canon! Does anyone even care about stuff like The Force Unleashed or the Ewoks animated series anymore?)

Watching the Prequels first can also lead to all sorts of pointless, distracting questions that wouldn't have come up otherwise like "why did Threepio keep quiet about knowing Obi-Wan Kenobi", "what the heck happened to Ahsoka", and the classic "how did the Empire build a second, even bigger Death Star in four years when it took them 20 years to build the first one?*"

*For those of you who are curious: prior to the existence of the Prequels, the official canon answer to the last question was that the original Death Star only took about two years to build, but very few people know of this fact since it appeared in an obscure tie-in magazine from 1994 that has understandably been all but forgotten.

My own mild OCD is annoyed by Boba Fett being Jango's clone kid when previous sources had already established him as being Jaster Mereel, but it's true that the Expanded Universe was not without its fair share of inconsistencies, both big and small, well before the Prequels came along. How the heck do you get into a TIE fighter again?
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Sun May 17, 2020 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
null1024

Post by null1024 »

production order or bust
There is a very, very, very short list of series that I'd say to not bother to watch in production order, and none of them are particularly interconnected from season to season anyway.

Also, I've gotten super used to middle click on scrollwheel but it's still just kinda weird.
Using an actual 3 button mouse without a scrollwheel is terrible though because I scroll constantly, and using a machine without a middle click [laptops mostly] is generally just a pain because I also end up using middleclick features constantly.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

null1024 wrote:There is a very, very, very short list of series that I'd say to not bother to watch in production order, and none of them are particularly interconnected from season to season anyway.
Just curious, is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu on that list? Last time I checked, the jury was still out on that one.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Specineff do you know someone that fat or do you have to deal with this stuff so to a job? I probably asked this before and forgot. I'm not a fan of land whales, but you've got extra vigor about this subject.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
null1024 wrote:There is a very, very, very short list of series that I'd say to not bother to watch in production order, and none of them are particularly interconnected from season to season anyway.
Just curious, is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu on that list? Last time I checked, the jury was still out on that one.
no jury is out. if you watch Haruhi in chronological order you're watching it wrong
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Specineff do you know someone that fat or do you have to deal with this stuff so to a job? I probably asked this before and forgot. I'm not a fan of land whales, but you've got extra vigor about this subject.
He currently resides at McMurdo station where he is forced to share a single, unheated outhouse with the visiting sumo team.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Haruhi is very definitely production order, and I'm still kinda baffled that, at least on first viewing, anything else would be considered.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

its completely fucked that they aired it any other way and that the physical and streaming releases are also in chronological. you really have to go out of your way to watch it properly
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

ED-057 wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Specineff do you know someone that fat or do you have to deal with this stuff so to a job? I probably asked this before and forgot. I'm not a fan of land whales, but you've got extra vigor about this subject.
He currently resides at McMurdo station where he is forced to share a single, unheated outhouse with the visiting sumo team.
Ha, ha ha! :lol:

To answer your question, Steamflogger, yes. I have to deal with one obese person at home, and another at work. I try to see them as human first, fatasses second, but sometimes they make it very, very hard.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Blinge wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:Radical Feminism: the hate of men and hetero-sexuals in general by some very twisted and self-serving people. I cannot for the life of me understand why such unbalanced notions are considered enlightened and their need to attack constantly. To all intents and purposes it is more akin to massive oppression.
Ok boomer
Have another go, Blinge - you at least managed to guess the century that I was born in, dismissive as you are :)
More Bromances = safer people
Steamflogger Boss

Boomer is a state of mind, not an age group. Words can change based on their most common usage.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Upon revisiting it, the bosses in Parasite Eve and how utter BULLSHIT many of their attacks are: T-Rex's flame breath, Cerberos' howl, the Triceratops' semi-homing lightning. Interesting concept, but flawed execution.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Boomer is a state of mind, not an age group. Words can change based on their most common usage.
Indeed, so if I called the nice lady at my local bakery a flaming c**t she'd understand, right? Words do evolve and change meaning over time, but not that quick. They indeed have multiple meanings - just think: multiple meanings!

It may be popular amongst a group of teenagers, as indeed radical feminism may be at the present time, but the majority of us still use the word according to its original definition.

And why on earth would someone be a 'boomer' if they are not a fan of radical feminism? Plenty of so called feminists are not fans of Radical Feminism themselves and are they too to be regarded as 'boomers'? You see how you haven't quite thought that one out?

Blinge himself even got banned once for using trendy put-downs, you remember that? These masters of argument, how they use rhetoric...or perhaps the copy-paste generation of meme-driven half-wits? I wonder how many of these noble debaters will be able to debate anything give or take a couple of decades.

Educate yourself, Steamflooger:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge himself even got banned once for using trendy put-downs, you remember that? These masters of argument, how they use rhetoric...
The only ban I really remember is poor Drum coming back from a temp after mouthing off at BLOODF, only to immediately do it again and get fisted into the next dimension. A fearless Hard Gaymer, possessed by a fury that burns from inside! :shock:

I'm lying out of my fucking ass, ofc. Here's a few more good ones!

>How Do You Do Fellow Shumpers
>The Apotheosis Of Scrub Rage
>Pedo Headshot Action
system11 wrote:Image I've seen enough.
Steamflogger Boss

Getting old. I overestimated my youth today and hurt my back.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

who BLOODF ?
dun ban mi plz

Ahaha, thanks for resurrecting gold yet again, birru ogisan.
Spoiler
drauch wrote:Another month, another cluster of Touhou fans that discover this forum and continue to clog it with drivel. I look forward to your overly sarcastic posts, meme picture responses, and creative vocabulary with more words like "shitposter" and "butthurt." I applaud you at least for not responding with a picture slathered with humorous text.

You'll stick around for a few more months, maybe, then you'll depart and find a new internet fad that wavers your attention and your lust for more derivative Japanese pop-culture that is the perfect mix of slightly underground, yet still accessible for the budding youth who dares to be different. Who knows, maybe you'll stick around to further white knight other Touhou fans in distressful situations that keep getting picked on for drab attempts at humor, pedantic inputs during their first few posts, or for resurrecting old threads to rant because 4chan won't listen.
Fuego jejeje.

Also, bring back Skykid. I heard he die making Covid-20
BIL

Post by BIL »

Chairman of the farms, pays the bills and flushes nonces out the airlock. Image
drauch

Post by drauch »

Hahaha, ohhhhh those were hateful days. But fun!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I'm drinking with missus while we gamble on horse racing. By gamble I mean donate.

Anyways the last few posts in this thread are fucking gold.
My lord, I have come for you.
Steamflogger Boss

While we are sharing gems, this thread is loaded. I went to it to try and find something, but had forgot how hilarious it was. Lots of typical shmups farm interactions.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:While we are sharing gems, this thread is loaded. I went to it to try and find something, but had forgot how hilarious it was. Lots of typical shmups farm interactions.
lol I'm alllllll up in that bitch
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Blinge wrote:Image
...and the wonder machine keeps on posting his thoughtful insights.

Now, about Radical Feminism: let's hear your amazing arguments for it, Blinge. Astound us if you dare :) A chimp can post memes, my dear - it ain't difficult :)
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Also, bring back Skykid
My guess is that his red dream of China turned into a scarlet plague. Who the f/k would want to be in that $hithole?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

MintyTheCat wrote: ...and the wonder machine keeps on posting his thoughtful insights.

Now, about Radical Feminism: let's hear your amazing arguments for it, Blinge. Astound us if you dare :) A chimp can post memes, my dear - it ain't difficult :)
Personally I doubt a chimp could post memes.
Felt like you were at a dead end with that one Steamy boi and thought you'd pick a fight with me huh?

why would you try n' push me into defending radical feminism? Something I don't speak for and isn't my fight :roll:
MintyTheCat wrote:Educate yourself
take yer own meds
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Did a Bayonetta thing, at one or two points before some of the serious fights there's a tiny, yet visible black jumpcut in the pause screen where I swap from windowed mode to fullscreen. I usually play windowed when streaming as I find it the easiest setup for paying attention to chat while playing, and swap to fullscreen for OMYGRASH, GOTTA FOCUS-tier fights to ignore Twitch chat so as not to get distracted. But now I'm worrying about "Do I edit that out before uploading to Youtube? Is someone going to cause drama and argue it's somehow spliced footage?".