shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 8:40 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316
 Post subject: Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:58 am 

Using mainline DOSBox is just asking for trouble vs DOSBox-X anyway.
PCem is overkill in a few situations [nothing like actually dealing with old PC configuration issues], but it's sure as hell useful.

mainline DOSBox a: doesn't really care about accuracy and b: hasn't cared to release anything more than basic bugfixes in a decade [I thought I was joking when I typed this, then I looked it up and it was close, 9 years] despite there actually being development on the source

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:32 am 

Fatsos who break toilet seats with their weight. (I mean morbidly overweight people).

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:59 am 

Just thought of another one: people who watch the Star Wars movies in "chronological order".

Has there ever been an instance of a writer releasing a prequel to a previous work and telling people to experience it first? Or is it all just fan wankery by people who pride themselves on remembering that X takes place before Y? How many prequel works even exist that don't give away massive spoilers if read or seen first?
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:33 am 

Radical Feminism: the hate of men and hetero-sexuals in general by some very twisted and self-serving people. I cannot for the life of me understand why such unbalanced notions are considered enlightened and their need to attack constantly. To all intents and purposes it is more akin to massive oppression.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:29 pm 

Specineff wrote:
Fatsos who break toilet seats with their weight. (I mean morbidly overweight people).

I think this guy may be the worst hefty toilet boi in history. (warning: disgusting :shock: helluva headline though :cool:)

He dead now, AFAIK. See you (hopefully never) space fatboi. ImageImage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:01 pm 

MintyTheCat wrote:
Radical Feminism: the hate of men and hetero-sexuals in general by some very twisted and self-serving people. I cannot for the life of me understand why such unbalanced notions are considered enlightened and their need to attack constantly. To all intents and purposes it is more akin to massive oppression.

Ok boomer

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Why would you use such a superfluous thing with your emulators? You heathen!

what? I mean just clicking around on Windows. accidentally hit wheel button on the emulator down on the taskbar

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:11 pm 

BIL wrote:
Specineff wrote:

I think this guy may be the worst hefty toilet boi in history. (warning: disgusting :shock: helluva headline though :cool:)

Well, that's not surprising. Shockingly, being that overweight is not good for you at all. Of course, lawd forbid you not pat ultra fatties on the back. Because then according to most of twitter, you would be "fat shaming" and shaming anyone is bad. You must be positive about EVERYTHING and enable gross people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:14 pm 

Blinge wrote:
what? I mean just clicking around on Windows. accidentally hit wheel button on the emulator down on the taskbar

Speaking of which, clicking the mousewheel. Why is that even a thing. It's like as if a steering wheel could also be moved horizontaly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:25 pm 

I actually use the ''click-down-on-mousewheel'' control in CAD and GIS programs for panning :lol: it's a hair quicker than reaching for a tandem of keystroke+left mouse click. When you do that 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, it starts to add up and becomes worth it.

I'm probably the 0,00001% of the population to whom this benefits tho!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:26 pm 

Blinge wrote:

Oh, the button on the mouse! Silly me, for some reason I thought you were talking about some kind of emulator function.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:34 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
I actually use the ''click-down-on-mousewheel'' control in CAD and GIS programs for panning :lol: it's a hair quicker than reaching for a tandem of keystroke+left mouse click. When you do that 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, it starts to add up and becomes worth it.

I'm probably the 0,00001% of the population to whom this benefits tho!

I do use programs where it's pretty handy myself, but even the chance of misclicking and scrolling the wheel instead is something that makes it feel like bad hardware design. Was it too much to just put a third button near it as well?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:20 pm 

CyberAngel wrote:
I do use programs where it's pretty handy myself, but even the chance of misclicking and scrolling the wheel instead is something that makes it feel like bad hardware design. Was it too much to just put a third button near it as well?

Fair enough complaint! indeed they could have put a 3rd button on there

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:54 pm 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Just thought of another one: people who watch the Star Wars movies in "chronological order".

Has there ever been an instance of a writer releasing a prequel to a previous work and telling people to experience it first? Or is it all just fan wankery by people who pride themselves on remembering that X takes place before Y? How many prequel works even exist that don't give away massive spoilers if read or seen first?

Chronological by film release or chronological in-universe?

Spoiling the plot in Star Wars is a non-issue though, unless you're presenting a newly-discovered Amazon tribe with a recommended viewing order.

Once you've watched them all and care enough to watch them again, chronological in-universe makes narrative sense to me. My mild OCD is definitely not okay with episodes I-III after IV-VI on my shelf either!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:33 pm 

You should not watch the Star Wars Prequels in chronological order because they rely heavily on knowledge of the OT. For example, the "how uncivilized!" laugh line means nothing to a first-time viewer. In fact, how on Earth would anyone starting fresh from Phantom Menace have any clue what the Obi Wan and Qui Gon are babbling about while they drink tea in the waiting room scene?

Or better yet, don't waste your time watching terrible terrible, dead-horse-whipping obvious cash-in movies and look for some original IP. Have you seen The Expanse yet?

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:44 pm 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
How many prequel works even exist that don't give away massive spoilers if read or seen first?

I think only Panzer Dragoon Zwei fills that criteria.

BIL wrote:

Good. I sincerely hope it was intestinal blockage or fecal sepsis, and that he enjoys getting his ass wiped with kevlar spike-studded acidic toilet paper in hell.

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:25 am 

TransatlanticFoe wrote:
Chronological by film release or chronological in-universe?

Spoiling the plot in Star Wars is a non-issue though, unless you're presenting a newly-discovered Amazon tribe with a recommended viewing order.

Once you've watched them all and care enough to watch them again, chronological in-universe makes narrative sense to me. My mild OCD is definitely not okay with episodes I-III after IV-VI on my shelf either!

Spoilers aside, I think we can all agree that The Phantom Menace is a terrible introduction to Star Wars. Especially when it's followed up by the other two prequels, the Disney side stories, and the Clone Wars movie so awful that not even Clone Wars fans talk about it. How is any newcomer supposed to get to "Han shot first" and "I am your father" in any reasonable amount of time with six feature-length movies and two multi-season animated series ahead of them? (And that's just with the current canon! Does anyone even care about stuff like The Force Unleashed or the Ewoks animated series anymore?)

Watching the Prequels first can also lead to all sorts of pointless, distracting questions that wouldn't have come up otherwise like "why did Threepio keep quiet about knowing Obi-Wan Kenobi", "what the heck happened to Ahsoka", and the classic "how did the Empire build a second, even bigger Death Star in four years when it took them 20 years to build the first one?*"

*For those of you who are curious: prior to the existence of the Prequels, the official canon answer to the last question was that the original Death Star only took about two years to build, but very few people know of this fact since it appeared in an obscure tie-in magazine from 1994 that has understandably been all but forgotten.

My own mild OCD is annoyed by Boba Fett being Jango's clone kid when previous sources had already established him as being Jaster Mereel, but it's true that the Expanded Universe was not without its fair share of inconsistencies, both big and small, well before the Prequels came along. How the heck do you get into a TIE fighter again?

Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Sun May 17, 2020 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:51 am 

production order or bust
There is a very, very, very short list of series that I'd say to not bother to watch in production order, and none of them are particularly interconnected from season to season anyway.

Also, I've gotten super used to middle click on scrollwheel but it's still just kinda weird.
Using an actual 3 button mouse without a scrollwheel is terrible though because I scroll constantly, and using a machine without a middle click [laptops mostly] is generally just a pain because I also end up using middleclick features constantly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:52 am 

null1024 wrote:
There is a very, very, very short list of series that I'd say to not bother to watch in production order, and none of them are particularly interconnected from season to season anyway.

Just curious, is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu on that list? Last time I checked, the jury was still out on that one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:54 am 

Specineff do you know someone that fat or do you have to deal with this stuff so to a job? I probably asked this before and forgot. I'm not a fan of land whales, but you've got extra vigor about this subject.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:24 pm 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
null1024 wrote:

Just curious, is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu on that list? Last time I checked, the jury was still out on that one.

no jury is out. if you watch Haruhi in chronological order you're watching it wrong
aaaand I guess I'm back on Twitter again: link

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:25 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Specineff do you know someone that fat or do you have to deal with this stuff so to a job? I probably asked this before and forgot. I'm not a fan of land whales, but you've got extra vigor about this subject.

He currently resides at McMurdo station where he is forced to share a single, unheated outhouse with the visiting sumo team.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:37 pm 

Haruhi is very definitely production order, and I'm still kinda baffled that, at least on first viewing, anything else would be considered.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:50 pm 

its completely fucked that they aired it any other way and that the physical and streaming releases are also in chronological. you really have to go out of your way to watch it properly
aaaand I guess I'm back on Twitter again: link

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:28 pm 

ED-057 wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:

He currently resides at McMurdo station where he is forced to share a single, unheated outhouse with the visiting sumo team.

Ha, ha ha! :lol:

To answer your question, Steamflogger, yes. I have to deal with one obese person at home, and another at work. I try to see them as human first, fatasses second, but sometimes they make it very, very hard.

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:29 pm 

Blinge wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:

Ok boomer

Have another go, Blinge - you at least managed to guess the century that I was born in, dismissive as you are :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:05 pm 

Boomer is a state of mind, not an age group. Words can change based on their most common usage.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316