shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:02 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Thunder Force 3 & Thunder Force AC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 pm 

Is this thread still being maintained? If not I would like to take it over, there are several issues that I've commented on that have yet to be addressed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:24 pm 

pegboy wrote:
Is this thread still being maintained? If not I would like to take it over, there are several issues that I've commented on that have yet to be addressed.

Yes, it is. I updated it as of the last score submitted this July 2016. I can think of two points raised:
- inclusion of Thunder Spirits: I am not doing this yet
- rules to only accept Japan ROM for Thunder Force AC: I am fine accepting both regions so long as the region is illustrated

Anything else? Otherwise, I will continue to maintain this thread until I relinquish updating duties.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:38 pm 

Limbrooke wrote:
pegboy wrote:

Yes, it is. I updated it as of the last score submitted this July 2016. I can think of two points raised:
- inclusion of Thunder Spirits: I am not doing this yet
- rules to only accept Japan ROM for Thunder Force AC: I am fine accepting both regions so long as the region is illustrated

Anything else? Otherwise, I will continue to maintain this thread until I relinquish updating duties.

My last TF AC score wasn't updated. I think there are other scores posted that are missing as well.

Other issues:
Thunder Force AC Saturn port should be put in a separate category as the scoring is totally different (way easier to score higher in that version, and possible counterstop with stage 4 boss milking)
Thunder Force AC Japan/World versions should also be split as they have different scoring as well and should not be compared with one another.

I went over both of these issues in previous posts and presented the reasons why they should be separated. If you don't care about TF AC I could just take over that portion (and Thunder Spirits) and you can keep TF III? Otherwise you should make some of the changes I mentioned so the scoreboards are comparable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:46 pm 

pegboy wrote:
My last TF AC score wasn't updated. I think there are other scores posted that are missing as well.

Other issues:
Thunder Force AC Saturn port should be put in a separate category as the scoring is totally different (way easier to score higher in that version, and possible counterstop with stage 4 boss milking)
Thunder Force AC Japan/World versions should also be split as they have different scoring as well and should not be compared with one another.

I went over both of these issues in previous posts and presented the reasons why they should be separated. If you don't care about TF AC I could just take over that portion (and Thunder Spirits) and you can keep TF III? Otherwise you should make some of the changes I mentioned so the scoreboards are comparable.

Sorry about missing that score, updated now. I must have glossed over it when you were submitting so many scores. Nothing else should be missing now.

Regarding the Saturn TFAC portion, one submission at this point does not necessitate a separate table and even then the Saturn score was a recent submission (within 2 years ago) so unless a whole host of scores come in, the current state is fine.

Looking over the table, the more recent submissions have been Japan and while I don't agree on making another table that tells the same story that is currently told, I can concede there are enough entries to warrant the work. I'll get on it shortly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:50 pm 

All I'm saying is that the one Saturn score is very misleading, as you get a lot more points for killing basic enemies in that version. Not to mention that you can farm points forever against the stage 4 boss if you wanted to, that alone should put those scores in a separate category. I don't feel like that warrants one of the top spots on the board when nearly all of the scores below it would be higher up if played under the same scoring. Also, I believe there was another Saturn score or two someone in the thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:59 pm 

pegboy wrote:
All I'm saying is that the one Saturn score is very misleading, as you get a lot more points for killing basic enemies in that version. I don't feel like that warrants one of the top spots on the board when nearly all of the scores below it would be higher up if played under the same scoring. Also, I believe there was another Saturn score or two someone in the thread.

Actually, you're right - I don't know why I missed both CIT and your posts. I also played before on the Saturn release but changed to MAME later on however pardon CIT and Kollision nobody else has submitted for Saturn.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:03 pm 

Name Takki
Support MD Jap
Score 1 264 000

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 pm 

Hi,
Nickname Takki
Support MD Jap
Score 1 264 000
Screen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:26 am 

Looks like my mania score was possibly overlooked...

GGA_HAN wrote:
Here's a Mania difficulty run for Genesis / MD, did this on a US Genesis with an Everdrive cart:

HAN - 6,701,900 - Haides - Genesis / MD

replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBdsEaQgSU

Last edited by GGA_HAN on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:33 pm 

hi thx for my score
sorry for my bad english
i m french

Last edited by takki on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:36 pm 

Thunder Force III Normal
Takki - 1 306 700 - Haides - Genesis/MD

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 pm 

Thunder Force III Normal
Esper - 1 122 660 - Hydra - Genesis/MD

I'm either going to get better at this game or give up entirely

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:38 pm 

Can I formally request the the Saturn scores be separated from the GEN/MD scores for ThunderForce 3?

They are not comparable due to differences in gameplay which allow higher scores to be possible. The top 2 GEN/MD scores are incredible, and it would take a video for me to believe that they could be beaten on a genesis/megadrive cart. Not sure about ThunderForce AC, would like to know what others have found about the saturn version in regard to scoring.

Also, looks like my score hasn't been added to the ThunderForce AC table, as well - can this please be added?

GGA_HAN wrote:
might as well post my Thunder Force AC world version score, before I forget!

HAN - 2,314,590 - ALL - PCB (World)

No autofire used in this run, if that matters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 am 

GGA_HAN wrote:
Can I formally request the the Saturn scores be separated from the GEN/MD scores for ThunderForce 3?

They are not comparable due to differences in gameplay which allow higher scores to be possible. The top 2 GEN/MD scores are incredible, and it would take a video for me to believe that they could be beaten on a genesis/megadrive cart. Not sure about ThunderForce AC, would like to know what others have found about the saturn version in regard to scoring.

Also, looks like my score hasn't been added to the ThunderForce AC table, as well - can this please be added?

GGA_HAN wrote:

I'll add this shortly. I'm online every day but I've been busy. Will get it done this weekend, thank you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:24 am 

GGA_HAN wrote:

GGA_HAN wrote:

The Saturn version of Thunder Force AC has broken scoring. You can farm the stage 4 boss missiles for instance, which is impossible in the arcade version as they give no points. I don't believe the bosses time out (or if they do it's a very long time) so it might be possible to counterstop the game in the Saturn version. Also the saturn versions gives far more points for certain enemies than the arcade version, and the scores will be much higher in general when casually playing that version compared to the arcade version.

Also, the World and Japan versions of TF AC should also be broken up, item placement and number of enemies are both different between versions and the scores are not comparable. I can't say for certain because I haven't put much time in the World version but my guess is the scoring potential is slightly lower than the Japanese version, mainly due to having fewer enemies. However, a huge part of your score is from picking up items, and I'm not sure which version has more item drops, so take that with a grain of salt.

I talked about all of this a while back but no changes were made to the tables so they aren't accurately ranked due to all these differences.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:06 pm 

The table has been revamped and updated. PM me if there are errors or omissions.

My main objection to further breaking down the tables was there weren't enough scores submitted to warrant the distinction. Its noted theres a difference at the suffix of each score anyway, but if it somehow helps I figured why continue on with the discontent so its split now for good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:31 am 

Limbrooke wrote:
The table has been revamped and updated. PM me if there are errors or omissions.

My main objection to further breaking down the tables was there weren't enough scores submitted to warrant the distinction. Its noted theres a difference at the suffix of each score anyway, but if it somehow helps I figured why continue on with the discontent so its split now for good.

Thank you, very much appreciated!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 pm 

Limbrooke wrote:

:P
viewtopic.php?p=1170289#p1170289

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:02 am 

If you decide to do a Thunder Spirits table:

Thunder Spirits (Normal):
HAN - 2,365,690 - ALL/1LC - SNES (no autofire)

replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjsVspPJmOA

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:07 pm 

Thunder Force AC
maximo - 2,187,020 - ALL - MAME(World)

No-miss till final boss

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5